New Compass Direction Icon

Team J

Can't please everybody.

The icon for cache size adds information to the page, but the compass is superfluous as it already says N, S, E, etc. (of course I wouldn't complain if they used the Chinese/Japanese characters for the directions. I think I read that Jeremy was a Chinese translator in the Air Force)

And I don't like the new color scheme icon_puke_r.gif but that is just personal taste.

Great point BP

The idea is to make the page, at a glance, easier to notice things like direction and size of the container. We're sorta in a transitional phase as we're building in the pieces to make the information more compact and easier to read.

So in essence it is supposed to be eye candy.

Is it possible to reference the compass direction in PQ's? For example, say I am planning a road trip north of my current location. Can I limit my search to say NW, N & NE? That'd be cool. EDIT: Reviewing the PQ page, which I don't use much (set it and forgot it), it would appear not. Feature creep? :rolleyes:

And I do like the eye candy, personally. Less to convert in my head when glancing through the page.

Edited by New England n00b
I posted this in general. But I should have posted it here.

Could the arrow be a bit larger?

Other than that It's a nifty feature

I would prefer it not take up any more of the page. I already have to stretch the page wide so it does not take so much wrap space.

I like the effort, but I am concerned that if we need to draw a picture of an arrow for what direction, should it not take into account which direction my monitor faces?

All of the east arrows are pointing west and all of the west arrows are pointing east.. Not sure how many new cachers this will help. :wacko:

I posted this in general. But I should have posted it here.

Could the arrow be a bit larger?

Other than that It's a nifty feature

I would prefer it not take up any more of the page. I already have to stretch the page wide so it does not take so much wrap space.

I like the effort, but I am concerned that if we need to draw a picture of an arrow for what direction, should it not take into account which direction my monitor faces?

All of the east arrows are pointing west and all of the west arrows are pointing east.. Not sure how many new cachers this will help. :wacko:

wouldn't it be easier to look at the monitor in a mirror? Or turn it upside down - then the arrows would point in the right direction- :wacko::(:D

Now you're just being silly. North is almost always up on maps. If you can't think map-wise, don't use the arrows.

Now you're just being silly. North is almost always up on maps. If you can't think map-wise, don't use the arrows.

:wacko: I know I may more visually oriented than others but I was trying to think of a way to say "think of it like a map." I think this wraps it up nicely. That's why the icon seems cool to me anyway. With a mountain range right behind my house, anything South is out unless I want to drive a long way around it to get the cache that is "6 miles South." The icon just lets me see it quickly. True, so did the letters, but like I said, I'm visually oriented. I love the taste of eye candy! Besides, now that I think about it, my monitor DOES face North!

Edited by Team J
It's slightly off topic, but I have been working on the ability for you to put a degree range for results in a pocket query. So you could, say, ask for all caches within 0 (N) and 90(e) degrees from a point, along with additional filters and such.

This would be great for those of us that live across a big water source from a big city. Being that as the crow flies they indeed are closer to home, but by difficulty of getting there they are a lot further away. Love the arrows just noticed them tonight when I logged on.

Keep up the good work.

I like the direction arrows, and I'll explain why. When scrolling through searches, I find it to be much more immediately obvious which direction the cache is when I see an arrow, as opposed to seeing 'SE' and then pausing to figure out which way 'SE' is on a map. Don't get me wrong, I'm not too stupid to figure it out on my own, but I know that this feature makes browsing through pages go that much more smoothly, which is probably what you are looking to do. Also, I bet it would be more convenient for those people out there who have to do the "'N'ever 'E'at 'S'hredded 'W'heat" thing to figure out their directions. (I know you're out there) :laughing:

Also, I bet it would be more convenient for those people out there who have to do the "'N'ever 'E'at 'S'hredded 'W'heat" thing to figure out their directions.  (I know you're out there) :laughing:

Way off topic, but I was once told that the word 'NEWS' was derived from the compass points. Sounds like a good story to me so I never bother to prove or rebuke it.

It will be nice to run PQ's based on direction. I just hope it's implemented before my membership expires.

Carry on...

Can't please everybody.

Can you create a mirror site that does not include "geocaching.com" in the address so that all of us on the gubbermint servers can access the site again?

Then I can see what all the fuss is about.

Try www.geocashing.com

No, it just redirects to geocaching.com, and is denied.

Can't please everybody.

Can you create a mirror site that does not include "geocaching.com" in the address so that all of us on the gubbermint servers can access the site again?

Then I can see what all the fuss is about.

You mean the site is blocked from where you are getting access?

Try this

And this when available

Let me know know if they get you through.

I get this from both links:

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.

If you would like Windows to try and discover them,

click Detect Network Settings

Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.

If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error

Internet Explorer

Howdy from OK...I know I am a little late to be posting on this one, but I think its important to take time and share positives...Lord knows this world is full of enough negatives...

This is a great feature that helps me be much more efficient as I plan my geocaching day. Since the previous search for caches in my area would be displayed using a 360 degree distance format, I have found myself planning what I thought was a well thought out caching day, only to find out that in reality, I had several caches 20 miles south, a few more due north, and a couple east, west, or both. The result was a day driving all over Oklahoma City. I know that with the previous format I could have identified caches based on the "text" direction info...this new format simply makes it easier...and I appreciate that!

As a financial supporter of this site, I appreciate the little upgrades as much as the big upgrades (server additions, bandwith, etc.)...all together, these changes simply benefit all of us...thanks!