Lime Green? Yuck

tlg

You'll get over it.

Ah, another good one to go along with "tough nuts", "hairless rats", "cunning linguist",etc. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic: I think the color scheme looks ok. People will get used to it and gripe whenever it gets changed again. That's human nature. Yes, I remember the old computer print outs, mainly they took up a lot of space. As a kid, I went to grade school in Chicago. They had blackboards that were black. When I moved to Phoenix, they had the new-fangled "green" blackboards. Even at that young age I didn't like the change....that is until I looked at the old type.. :laughing:

I really like the arrows.

I'm not really fond of the lime green, though. It may not be the color as much as the fact that it does kind of blend with the alternating white. Perhaps if the white was replaced with a slightly darker green or if the results were seperated by a darker line.

Whatever is decided is fine by me. I get most of my cache info via PQs anyway.

The funny thing I see about this is that I agree with one previous poster:

On my lcd screen I can barely make out the difference between the alternating colors.

However, my opinion is that as long as the FOUND jump out as very different from the other colors, I really don't care. Alternating or not, there is just the right amount of white space in the page. Even without the separators and not being able to see the alternating w/o looking REALLY close, the page still is VERY readable. Its not like two caches get confused together..

Personally as long as the format stays clear, I really don't care about the alternating colors.

Just my 5cents (who needs penny's these days?)

Pick any colors you like, I don't care. But... If all the caches I've found are one color why can't all the caches I own be one color as well? I usually scan the page without reading to see what I haven't found based on the colors. Now I have to ignore some colors pay attention to others and look for the 'mine' arrow.

I do however really like the new direction arrow. Keep up the great work! :wacko:

After playing around with this I've come to some conclusions. Unless you filter out your own finds, the search page looks totally confusing. A refined search with your own finds filtered out looks nice and neat.

Conclusion #1 - The new color scheme should only be applied to filtered searches, and unfiltered searches should be returned to the way they were, or changed to a 3 color scheme of owned, found, and unfound.

As far as the directional compass icon goes, it's still easier on the eyes to read the actual direction that is right next to the icon, at least for me. The new icon is nice but can be improved.

Conclusion # 2 - The directional icon would be more helpful if each direction was in a different color. For example: Red for N, Orange for NE, Yellow for E, Green for SE, Blue for S, etc.

I think with a little more tweaking I could really take advantage of the search pages.

I like the idea of the directional arrows, as I travel into areas far outside of my normal range I should be able to get an idea as to where the caches are clustered. Once I settle on a cache dense area I can go back and lay them out on a map, in the past I had to lay out all of the caches I was interested in and figure out where they were clustered.

Thanks Jeremy

I like the idea of the directional arrows, as I travel into areas far outside of my normal range I should be able to get an idea as to where the caches are clustered. Once I settle on a cache dense area I can go back and lay them out on a map, in the past I had to lay out all of the caches I was interested in and figure out where they were clustered.

I'd like it if I could search based on direction because I live on the north side of a large river and it can take a couple of hours to get to the other side and back. (I understand they're working on this? :wacko: )

For me a "NW, N, NE, etc" is fine, I don't need an arrow to tell me that North is that-a-way. But, some people seem to like it.

...but I like the arrows.. If you sit in front of our computer, are you facing north. So the arrows are actually pointing the right direction!! :wacko: :wacko: If the arrow points up (north) is the cache behind the display. South means behind the user. East means that it is at my noicy neighbour! :(

I like the arrows and different background colors (even the green), but 1 thought. If the cahe listing were color-coded for owned, found, and not-found; could you not reduce some of the clutter and page-rendering overhead by bagging the red check-mark and "Mine" icons?

As for the shading of the background colors, they need to stay very pale to simply be a highlight. If they are made too bright, then they will make reading the list difficult for many and can even cause eye strain and headaches.

OT: I, too, would really like a way to select caches to filter out of lists so I don't have to pick through those I know I'll never do.

Thanks for the hard work!

Edited by Semper Questio

I agree, thank you for making our own caches yellow again. That's easier to read.

But I don't personally don't like the change of every second unfound cache being white/lime.

It makes it still difficult to understand, and if we who have been around for a while can't understand it - how shall newcomers understand that there is no difference between those two colors (white/lime) when the other two colors (grey/yellow) means different things?

I think the arrows are neat, but the weird color separations are just that, weird.....when I saw them I started trying to figure out what was special about the colored caches, were they recently found, was there something special about them, were they really cool caches?......I also asked the 2 other people I introduced to caching they started working on the same thought process's I did.....I don't like the colors, maybe they would work long term but I would stick to one change at a time(cache size).....and long term I hope that you don't continue the weird colors

I was hoping to see a response from Jeremy on this odd inconsistent color scheme ...

I thought he did reply? It was something along the lines of, "tough nuts" or, "you'll get over it" or, "get a life". I can't remember the exact wording. Sorry.

I was hoping to see a response from Jeremy on this odd inconsistent color scheme ...

I thought he did reply? It was something along the lines of, "tough nuts" or, "you'll get over it" or, "get a life". I can't remember the exact wording. Sorry.

Use the whole thing, eh?.

You'll get over it.

I removed the separator lines so it just alternates color. If anyone wants to recommend an alternating color, I'd be happy to change it.

Use the whole thing, eh?.

You'll get over it.

I removed the separator lines so it just alternates color. If anyone wants to recommend an alternating color, I'd be happy to change it.

Why would I use the 'whole thing' when my statement, "I can't remember the exact wording" was sufficient for the comment I was making. You may enjoy going through posts and cutting and pasting but if it's not necessary I don't bother.

I still see lime green, so I'm guessing he wasn't happy after all. However, we did manage to get the yellow back on 'caches owned' so I guess sense -to some degree- prevailed.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

I rather disagree. I like the new, asked-for improvements. Striving to perfect something is not a bad trait. Otherwise we'd all be (in the US) driving black only Ford Model T's.

I'm sure adjusting the value of the color is not the top priority on his plate right now.

As far as using the whole quote - the "You'll get over it" comment was in regards to ...someone... who did nothing but complain without providing a solution. And then Jeremy offered one himself. Using that quote to a completely different inquiry is putting words in Jeremys mouth.

As far as using the whole quote - the "You'll get over it" comment was in regards to ...someone... who did nothing but complain without providing a solution.  And then Jeremy offered one himself.  Using that quote to a completely different inquiry is putting words in Jeremys mouth.

You're a funny little guy. I'm a customer here, it's not my place to provide solutions. If they wish to pay me, I'd gladly share my ideas. Until then, I'll continue to exercise my right as a consumer to complain when I'm forced to look at a colour that I find aesthetically displeasing.

I would also suggest you go and reread (read even) the very first post in this thread before making comments like, "...who did nothing but complain...".

Ok, I don't like the new lime green on the search results page. And I don't like the direction arrow either. I mean, yeesh, everything was tickety-boo before; no need to change.

I do however, like the speed the last few weekends. Thanks!

I like the alternating colors, Jeremy, and the fact that they aren't super bright. Just a subtle dividing line to separate the listings. Great idea and we can knitpick about the color choice, but what's the point? Let's spend that energy on creating really COOl camo for our caches! :P

I like that the listing now has the quick reference to cache size, difficulty and location, (though I was fine with the alphanumeric reference to the latter).

As for differentiating between the "mine" caches and the alternating colors, the great big arrow pointing to "mine" should be a dead giveaway. :laughing:

Whatever you decide to do, THANKS for putting forth the effort to make the site easier to use, more graphically appealing and always full of useful, easy-to-find information related to our addiction....er...ummmmm....sport.

OK I'm wading into this one finally. Are my meds off or did I miss out on a free handout somewhere? :PThis page is what I see when searching fom my zip code. There are found, unfound, and mine caches on there; all in a white box with a green border. I do not see any differentiation between the rows at all.

Any thoughts? :)

PS I'm not complaining about the way I see it, just puzzled that everyone else seems to be talking about something I'm not seeing or getting (hmm kinda like caching in a group sometimes. :laughing: )

Edit to reply to CWrath and kep my post count down-yes-I'm on a laptop with an LCD screen. Upon super close inpsection I can make out some very light shading across the top row of the nearest found cache. Perhaps colors with greater contrast are in order then?

Edited by wimseyguy
OK I'm wading into this one finally. Are my meds off or did I miss out on a free handout somewhere? :P  This page is what I see when searching fom my zip code. There are found, unfound, and mine caches on there; all in a white box with a green border. I do not see any differentiation between the rows at all.

Any thoughts? :)

PS I'm not complaining about the way I see it, just puzzled that everyone else seems to be talking about something I'm not seeing or getting (hmm kinda like caching in a group sometimes.  :laughing: )

I see white and light green rows. None of them are mine or found. :)

If you have an LCD, that may be washing out the colors a bit.

Well, I've been thinking. If we're going to be saddled with the green, let's make it mean something. How about this: we keep the yellow for caches 'owned' and the grey for caches 'found', but we use the white for caches 'not yet found' and the green for caches 'not yet found but temporarily disabled'?

Well, I've been thinking. If we're going to be saddled with the green, let's make it mean something. How about this: we keep the yellow for caches 'owned' and the grey for caches 'found', but we use the white for caches 'not yet found' and the green for caches 'not yet found but temporarily disabled'?

Too many colors, too confusing.

Well, I've been thinking. If we're going to be saddled with the green, let's make it mean something. How about this: we keep the yellow for caches 'owned' and  the grey for caches 'found', but we use the white for caches 'not yet found' and the green for caches 'not yet found but temporarily disabled'?

I agree, but since the 4 colours are already there, lets put them to good use.

Well, I've been thinking. If we're going to be saddled with the green, let's make it mean something. How about this: we keep the yellow for caches 'owned' and  the grey for caches 'found', but we use the white for caches 'not yet found' and the green for caches 'not yet found but temporarily disabled'?

I agree, but since the 4 colours are already there, lets put them to good use.

I guess so. They are confusing though. The whole alternating pattern is geeting to me. On my nearest caches it goes gray gray gray white gray gray gray gray green. It has me confuzzled.

I don't mind the alternating colors so much, I just don't like my own caches showing up as green or white, instead of in their own color like they used to (you get different results depending on where you search).

In below, one my own caches shows as white, and one shows as green.

colors.jpg

Pick any colors you like, I don't care. But... If all the caches I've found are one color why can't all the caches I own be one color as well? I usually scan the page without reading to see what I haven't found based on the colors. Now I have to ignore some colors pay attention to others and look for the 'mine' arrow.

I do however really like the new direction arrow. Keep up the great work! :blink:

I'm not sure why there has to be a color difference for found, owned or not found...If I go to "My Cache Page", then "Filter Finds", it eliminates the ones I own and the ones I have found. Then all I am looking at is the alternating colors separating the actual caches. (Which are ok to me as I AM colorblind!) The colors contrast enough for me to tell the difference.

Anyway would be cool to me...I just like ANY changes as it means they are not complacent and are trying to better the site. So far, I like all the changes!

Cheers!

I don't mind the alternating colors so much, I just don't like my own caches showing up as green or white, instead of in their own color like they used to (you get different results depending on where you search). 

That's odd, the caches I own show up as a pale yellow for me.

Edit: no need for me to include the image.

Edited by tlg

That's odd, the caches I own show up as a pale yellow for me.

Edit: no need for me to include the image.

I get that color scheme when clicking on a map to display the caches. Other listings seem ok.

Fixing this is probably a programming nightmare. I would rather see it left broken and programming time devoted to something less difficult, like creating a way to bulk delete caches from the watchlist. :blink:

Edit: forgot smiley

Edited by cachew nut

The colors are fine. The arrows are a good addition. It's the distaces that are the problem. I assume that the distances are supposed to be from my home coordinates. They're all wrong. There is a cache 0.3 mile away and the numbers under the arrow say it 1.7 miles distant. Another is stated at 9.3 and I know it to be just over 4 miles away. The order is all screwed up too. I now have to search through more pages to plan a caching day. I think the old method was best. See, I don't like change for the sake of change. Changes should serve a better purpose than the present situation and these changes do not. :blink:

Edited by rebapac