Decon Containers

Rainwater

They leak sometimes even in the rain. There is also a variation in containers. Some seal very well and others don't. I've heard that they sometimes come with an 0 ring, whi h makes them waterproof, but I've purchased close to 50 of the suckers from several sources and have yet to find one with an O ring.

Edited by briansnat

I put out a couple of decon boxes in wet locations, only to have to replace them due to leakage. I still have one in a fountain where it is above the water line, but has water dribbling over it 24/7. This one stays dry (inside) because I found (after a lot of shopping) an "O" ring that is a perfect size. I still get "Found It" logs on occasion that report moisture inside of it too. This is due to some cachers just not snapping the lid down tight all around, and there is nothing I can do to prevent that, so I have put a note inside that asks for no trade items that would be adversly affected by moisture. My logbook is contained in a fishing license holder, and it has yet to come up wet.

Also, I thought that I had found a solution in a box that is a similar size and shape to the decon made by Witz Products http://www.witzprod.com/witzprod/product.cfm

it leaked also, and the manufacturer and retailer were unsympathic. :rolleyes:

Mr Smiles

While on the subject, where's a good (any) place to get decon containers? I've looked and couldn't find any.

I've used decon containers in a few caches. In time, all leaked. They seem to work best when you can hang them upright.

I haven't used a Surfsafe container for caches, but I do use them when I scuba dive. I use them to hold my keys and important stuff when I dive. I haven't had one leak yet, but it will someday. Nothing really stays watertight over a long period of time.

I don't remember where I bought my decons. I found a couple decon suppliers.

Army Surplus Warehouse

Ranger Surplus

Decon is also rat poison thats why I said that. If you do to your local SCUBA store they sell leak proof containers but they would be more Micro size. I havent seen them sell any larger ones. So if you need to hide a smaller micro cache you could get something there I am sure. I have also made leak proof containers out of plexyglass and oring or just a good sealing agent. I did this for an underwater camera. It held to 80 feet for about a year and then finally started leaking but if your aplication is for a few feet of water they arent that hard to make just look for plans on the net