Magellan 2000 GPS

TeamTyler

Hi,

I am new to this hobby and my son and I are looking forward to getting started. I have to purchase a GPS unit on a low budget. I can get a Magellan 2000 for $50 and would like any input on that unit. I will get something better later on down the road if we enjoy this sport.

Thank you.

Bob & Tyler McGuire

Harveys Lake, PA

I was checking out your homepage while graldrich responded icon_smile.gif.

He is correct. The 2000 is an older model, barely supported by Magellan, and in my opinion is not worth the $50. A brand new, state-of-the-art receiver can be yours for $99 plus $5 shipping on the internet from reputable dealers/distributors, as mentioned above. You are going to spend at least that much for gas driving to and from caches. And enjoying it! A good receiver will enhance that pleasure. Welcome.

don

PS--if you can get it for $15, then take it as long as it works. Always pays to have a backup. Even an old one...

Thanks for the input. I just found a classified ad from a man 6 miles away from me that has an Eagle Explorer in mint condition for $35.00. I may take that one to get started this weekend and keep watching ebay for a Magellan. I best wait until later to call this guy because it's 3 a.m. and most people are sleeping about now.

Bob & Tyler McGuire

Harveys Lake, PA

I have a Magellan 3000 sitting somewhere. It works, but it is a single channel reciever and a real dog. It loses lock if you look at it funny, takes forever to acquire satellites and is generally a real pain. It would work, but there are much better units out there for a bit more. If you are really on a tight budget, it would work, but if you can get something better, I would.

You have to go out, you don't have to come back.