Should I Remove Batteries When Use Ac Adapter?

GeoPup&ShelpieGirl

I got a AC adapter from GPSgeek and am ready to download my first waypoints, route, and Mapsource Metroguide maps for a portion of a state. Im going to power my GPSr from the AC adapter when I do the download. Ive heard its really a slow process.

I was just wanting to make sure that I'm *really* running off the AC adapter, not running down my batteries. Should I just take out the batteries when I use the AC adapter?

OT: in other technologies, firewire is common - what goes with the antedeluvian (and slow) serial data transfer in GPS land? :anibad:

Edited by GeoPup&ShelpieGirl

If you are going to do this a lot, forget about buying regular alkaline batteries. Get some good rechargable NiMH batteries and a charger. You'll never worry about running down the batteries again. Such batteries can be recharged 1000 times and are much better for the environment too.

Some of the newer units use USB rather than Serial. I agree that serial cables are somewhat ancient history.

Most units that accept external power sources recognize the new power source and do not consume batteries when using other power sources.

If you want to upload map data through serial, plan to wait a while. It usually takes me about 30-45 minutes to upload data through serial to an Etrex Vista, but the same amount of data (I usually select about 12-16 MB of maps) takes only 2-3 minutes through USB on my newer unit. Waypoints are quicker; even a serial cable can transfer several hundred waypoints in less than a minute.

The adapter I have only works in the car, so I just use rechargable batteries (NiMH) and make sure I have a fresh set installed before I transfer any maps. When you hook it up, some units have an icon or other status indicator showing that you are not running off of battery power but off of the cord, which is handy.

I got a AC adapter from GPSgeek and am ready to download my first waypoints, route, and Mapsource Metroguide maps for a portion of a state. Im going to power my GPSr from the AC adapter when I do the download. Ive heard its really a slow process.

I was just wanting to make sure that I'm *really* running off the AC adapter, not running down my batteries. Should I just take out the batteries when I use the AC adapter?

OT: in other technologies, firewire is common - what goes with the antedeluvian (and slow) serial data transfer in GPS land? :anibad:

The eTrex show a little "electrical plug" icon when it's running off external. On most GPSs, you can simply activate the backlight to test it. If it's running on batteries, it will shut off after a set period of time. When it's running on external power, it will stay on.

When it's running on external power, it [backlight] will stay on.

Thanks ...didnt know that. I completed the transfer of waypoints, routes, and maps - about 20 mins for ~19 mb.

Questions:

1) I did routing on my desktop computer. When I drive the route, do I get a warning before a turn?

2) Now that I have the maps for the region downloaded to my GPSr, if I alter the waypoints / routes, I can simply download the latter two (not the maps again), correct? The tranferred maps cover (more than) the area I will travel.

When you're on external power, the battery circuit is disconnected, so it doesn't matter whether you take the batteries out or not. I use rechargeable batteries, but they won't charge while the GPS is plugged in; I have to take them out & put them in the AC charger.

The NMEA protocol specifies RS232 serial communication, so any GPS manufacturer who wants to comply with NMEA specs must have serial built in. There is a *huge* installed base of serial-connected GPSrs out there. Just about all marine and aviation units use it to send data to the remote displays. It won't go away soon, although additional protocols are being offered. Firewire still seems rather rare outside the Mac world, and Macs aren't all that common themselves.

As for the other questions, what GPS are you using? It makes a difference, I think, as to how the GPS tells you when to turn.

Questions:

1) I did routing on my desktop computer. When I drive the route, do I get a warning before a turn?

1) On the 76S, press "Menu" twice to go to the Main Menu. Scroll to "Setup" and press "Enter". Use the rocker switch to go to the "Alarms" tab, then scroll down to "Approach and Arrival". Press "Enter" to set this to "Auto". You will hear a beep from the unit between 15 and 90 seconds before you reach the turn depending on your speed. Or you can set it to beep at a predetermined time or distance from the turn points with the other options there.

2) Now that I have the maps for the region downloaded to my GPSr, if I alter the waypoints / routes, I can simply download the latter two (not the maps again), correct? The tranferred maps cover (more than) the area I will travel.

2) The maps will remain in the GPSr until you download a new set. Be aware that downloading any map erases all the maps currently in the GPSr, so you will have to re-download you "default" map set each time you want to make changes. If you have MapSource, you can save Map Sets so you don't have to redefine the ones you always want each time you want to change what's on the 76S.

Steve

Firewire still seems rather rare outside the Mac world

I live in the sticks and can get a Firewire PCI card for a PC at Wal-Mart :blink: I have Firewire on my Dell (not a mac) and it is available for PC's external hardrives, etc. In fact, pro digital cameras like Canon utilize Firewire. My opinion is that GPSr units should offer at least USB2.0 for map downloads. I didnt know about the NMEA standard; it may require serial for external displays, but it doesnt make sense -- for multi-MB downloads i.e. maps *to the GPSr unit* -- at least not to this farm boy. :)

go to the "Alarms" tab, then scroll down to "Approach and Arrival". Press "Enter" to set this to "Auto"

Thanks - very useful info.

downloading any map erases all the maps currently in the GPSr
Wow. You just saved me from a major headache - I was about to add one map section just for the heck of it. THANKS!

Question: now that I have some Metroguide maps in my GPSmap76S, how do ensure that I am actually using those MS MG maps, instead of the built-in basemap?

DON'T bother using the AC adapter it is NOT that slow maybe 1min max for 400 waypoints. I Have a GPSMAP76 and it is no problm. Just hook up the unit switch it on and go to the satellite screena and set to simulation, this WILL save your batteries a little. Then Just use EASYGPX to down load. I usually do 100 waypoints at a time and it take like 10 seconds. So I NEVER worry about battery time. Now in the car I use a power adapter when driving around and that is the BEST. But why you need an AC adapter is a mystery, well you could use it with a power inverter in the car. The only time I could see using a AC adapter is if I had to hand key in like 100 waypts that would take some time. Also when you put an alternate power source in the unit turns OFF the batteries so your NOT draining them. Got any questions email me

Cheers

The 60c (and I assume, the 76) is pretty smart about which map to use. For example, if you want to drive from you house in LA to Denver, you can load the city maps for LA and Denver and have it autoroute you. The GPS will use the detailed maps for LA and Denver, and the base maps for the road in between. Assuming that you plan to stay on the major highways during your trek, you don't need to D/L all of the maps on the route.

I plan routes in Mapsourse, the D/L the route (not the maps and waypoints) to my GPS. The maps are already there, so no need to resend them. I get turn alarms and all of the other info I would get if I had the GPS calculate the route.

Pretty cool.

I also borrowed one of the +12V DC lines out of the back of my computer's Antec power supply, took a hard drive power molex connector & added a cigarette lighter receptacle so I can use my GPSr car adapter during downloads (or fire up the cigarette lighter to light up a stogie while Im waiting :rolleyes: As PSuspect said, downloading maps *is* very time consuming. Waypoints are way fast :laughing: Sometimes, I need download and fly - no time for drained batteries or recharging if I need maps along with the waypoints. I believe that the downloaded maps have more detail for small roads in the country, or topo information, if you get that version.

Thanks to everyone, Ive learned much from all your comments!