Is It Kosher To Call Other Cachers For Help?

Thot

... There was enough tree cover nearby to make GPSr reception uncertain, so you couldn't really zero in on where it was. That one took me 3 attempts - the final time I obtained a PHOTO of the container from the owner, and it was still pretty hard to spot, at least for me. In fact the photo didn't really help. I never found it visually until I was right on top of it - I thought about how the cache owner would find it to check on it, and that led me close enough to it to find it.

Ha ha ... these are among the category of caches that have a tendency to get rehidden in a slightly different spot each time. I've read many a cache note where the owner had a problem finding his/her own cache! :o

I dont take things that seriously that i would get huffy over a post on a discussion board. I just dont think that ya should call for a hint i just keep searchin til i do. My first cache took me 2 hours to find and it was 10 mins from my car. So that tells ya about me.

I had the kids and me going thru prickers etc and even asked them if they wanted to give up and come back and they "wouldnt let me" I mean wanted to keep on lookin. but we found it. iI knew the park where it was located but was looking at the wrong coords. dumb me first time using a gps for this but i learned quickly.

Yeh im a rebel rouser a lil but but im a good person.

So thats it for me my 2 hour cache story!

Yes it's perfectly okay to call another cacher for help. Geoheckling over the phone is sooooo much fun especially when you're the one who has already found it.

I always note in my online log that I called so and so for a little clue.

I had that experience the other day. I was sitting at a meeting with someone when my cell phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Kev, I need HELP!"

(he had gone back out to the site of a cache that I'd just completed the day before, the waypoint redirect was hidden in a real NASTY place, he had spent an hour the night before looking with no success.)

So I gave him some instructions.

"Go to the back. See that sign?"

"Yeah..."

"Poke it."

"What? *Poke* it?"

"Yeah, poke it."

"What? Um.. ok, I -- Awww, WHAT the crap.... awwww.... OK, thanks man!"

*click*

It was pretty funny, at least from my end. He found the cache shortly afterwards.

I personally see nothing wrong with giving or receiving hints or clues. I have given and recieved clues. I have never given or asked for the EXACT location. I like hard to find caches...feels so much more rewarding. But sometimes you need a kick in the behind to change your thinking. The way I look at it is all caches are meant to be found. Its about the FUN of the hunt. This game is not about numbers or who can/cannot find a certain cache ( Not that this was implied by anyone). I want my caches to be found. I would rather the person unable to find my cache contact me first as a courtesy. But when comes down to it have fun finding it, however you end up doing it.

:huh: My 2 cents....

As someone who has NOT gone looking yet, and stumbled across geocaching by accident, I'll say yes, it's okay to call or e-mail.

Not for exact location, but to at least know if in the right area, let alone the right city.

I had stumbled onto the geocache site by accident, looking up coordinates for a village in Germany, it brought me to geocaching.com. Then I started poking around the site to see what geocaching was. Thought it was cool. Found out how to look up caches for my area (mind you, I still did NOT have GPS), found a clue to one that I thought I might know 'area' it was in. So...I e-mailed the owner of the cache, explained that I was new, was not asking for where, since I didn't have unit, but was I correct about the hint.

I was!

2 days later, ordered a Garmin Etrex Vista through Office Max (owner had told me to look in garage sale and ebay for units, I found post about good bargain), got my unit in between Hurricanes.

I haven't gone to look for cache yet, have been a wee bit busy this Hurricane season, but cannot wait. Have already ordered another unit for my brother-n-law for his birthday.

Okay, it was actually, about 10 cents worth...but yes, I think acceptable to ask for help when needed. Help is very different from asking for answer.