Gsak User Flags

I am very new to GPS, GeoCaching, and especially GSAK but I am a very fast learner. I have figured out most of the functions of GSAK and have already downloaded waypoints to my GPSr. The thing I don't understand though is the fuunction of "user flags" and how the filters work. :lol: Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :)

CapnJack

Edited by CapnJackSparrow

The purposes of the User Flags are many, but I use them mainly to identify specific caches in a filter that I want to download, if I decide I don’t want to download all in the filter. Just after deciding that a cache is to be included, I set the User Flag for that cache. Once I have checked all that I want to download, I filter for User Flag Set, and download the results.

Hope this Helps

Cache Well

The purposes of the User Flags are many, but I use them mainly to identify specific caches in a filter that I want to download

I was looking at it all wrong! I was thinking that all the filters in the drop down menu "Select a saved filter" were related to the user flags. After I read your post, I took another look at it and realized how the filters work. I claim to be a fast learner but sometimes I just can't see the GeoCache for the trees!! Thank you very much for the help. :anibad:

CapnJack

CapnJack keep in mind that you can set and save your own filters using the sort button, so that the filters on your GSAK do exactly what you need them to do. If you want to learn how to use the GSAK program to its fullest take a look at the GSAK thread(s). Clyde starts a new one with every version as some of them are 9 pages long (a lot of reading but chock full of every concievable question and answer so you can learn without repeating the same mistakes others have been kind enough to make for you.

Or you can just read the manual.  But that's a lot of trouble, and boring, so few people do it.  :lol:

Wow! This sounds like incredible sarcasm! If your calling me stupid, your looking for a firefight. I did read the manual and just misunderstood it's content. My thanks to LordSaw and MedicP1 for their valuable input, :lol: and my sympathy to NightPilot for his need for oneupmanship! :laughing:

Calm down, Capn, I wasn't calling you stupid, just commenting on the general state of things, and MedicP1's suggestion about reading the threads. If you read the GSAK threads closely, I think you'll find that more than half the posts are by people who just didn't read the manual. If one reads the manual, then the need to read the threads is greatly reduced.

Edited by NightPilot
Calm down, Capn, I wasn't calling you stupid, just commenting on the general state of things, and MedicP1's suggestion about reading the threads.  If you read the GSAK threads closely, I think you'll find that more than half the posts are by people who just didn't read the manual.  If one reads the manual, then the need to read the threads is greatly reduced.

k :laughing:

(Edit - added a quote from a local Rochester, NY DJ)

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. :lol: