"25" Geocaching Lists

art begotti

ladies and gentlemen, the ultimate proof that i am lazy beyond all believable bounds. :lol:

in my sig, you see a link to my blogpage, which really needs updating. i started to do a list of "25 tips for geocachers", but it was just really stupid, and every fifth one referred to telling/complaining/whining about it on the forums.

so i now come to you all for help. i had the idea of throwing a list or two out on these boards for you to write. i plan on doing two lists in the future... "25 tips for geocachers" (a better version), and "25 bad things to hear while geocaching". a possible third one would be "25 definite geocaching don'ts".

so anyway, here i am, looking for help from all of you. feel free to make any number of suggestions to any of the above lists (specify which, to save confusion). i will take the best 25 for each list and post them when i can. your username will be cited as well, for that little self-esteem boost we all need.

so... have at it!

Related to previous suggestions, our "Rule Number One", which we developed on our first cache hunt:

RULE NUMBER ONE - Caches are not airlifted in.  If there's a trail, follow it.  It will save you a lot of heartache and scrambling through greenbriar.

We have a number of other rules, most without numbers, but there will always be Rule Number One.

A few others of note:

Go before leaving home.

"Up and down" is more fun than "down and up".

Before telling yourself "No, the cache couldn't be hidden there," look again at who placed it.

Make a checklist of stuff to bring.

USE said checklist.

Mosquitos only bite on days that end in "y".

Your batteries aren't as fresh as you think they are.

Never underestimate the ability of the human foot to seek water.

1/1s aren't.

Do NOT forget the DEET.

Do dress appropriately.

Do bring spare fresh battereis for GPSr and other accessores.

Do your best to pass unoticed amongst muggles whilst caching

Do research location of cache using available map services (Tpopzone, mapquest,ect.)

Don't rely on Pocket Queries alone

Do bring more than enough water

Do tell someone whereyou are going and when you expect to be back... add an extra hour just in case

Do bring your medicines, allergy meds, insulin, ect

Do mark where ya parked (marking the jeep)

Do take your time when shooting coords for a new cache. If you rush, your coords will be 'whacked'.

Do tread lightly by causing the least possible amount of enviromental impact

Do try to be descriptive in your online logs, if you keep them, reading entertaining logs are part of the fun.

do try to be creative, either in where you hide, how you hide ,what you hide or what you have others do to find your cache.

Do mark your caches clearly as a Geocache.

Do leave phone # or email address incase somone needs to contact you about your cache. Hopefully BEFORE the bombsquad finds it first.

I'll come up with more sometime soon

Never set anything (especially your GPS) on top of your vehicle

Learn about poison ivy and oak.....

Bring a pen or pencil and extra baggies

Write down what you left and took and from which cache you took it and bring it home with you so you can log it all accurately later

Mark your vehicle

Name your coordinates something other than 001, 002, 003 etc.

Name your coordinates something you will remember if needed later

Bring a camera

Don't forget to stop and smell the roses...look around and enjoy it!

Bring a walkingstick! :anibad:

Don't pee anywhere near the cache coordinates! :lol:

At least wait until you have found the cache.... :laughing:

There are enough dogs where we live, that they have marked the truck very well, thank you. :lol:

Don't leave your GPSr behind when you leave the cache area.

When hiding a cache try to hide it in a manner different from what others in that area have used.

Patience when finding the hiding spot and selecting the hiding style pays off with a great cache.

Choose an area you enjoy going to.

John

Related to previous suggestions, our "Rule Number One", which we developed on our first cache hunt:

RULE NUMBER ONE - Caches are not airlifted in.  If there's a trail, follow it.  It will save you a lot of heartache and scrambling through greenbriar.

We have a number of other rules, most without numbers, but there will always be Rule Number One.

A few others of note:

Go before leaving home.

"Up and down" is more fun than "down and up".

Before telling yourself "No, the cache couldn't be hidden there," look again at who placed it.

Make a checklist of stuff to bring.

USE said checklist.

Mosquitos only bite on days that end in "y".

Your batteries aren't as fresh as you think they are.

Never underestimate the ability of the human foot to seek water.

1/1s aren't.

Never underestimate the ability of the human foot to seek water. I Like that one.... Always Seems so appropriate

When hunting for that micro in front of (insert restraunt name here) you can hold your GPS up to your ear and talk to it like a cell phone and folks will not look at you twice. :blink: Periodically you can look at it, as if you're checking the reception to see how far away you are from the cache.

Zack