Grey Boxes With Red Dots......

I logged into my cache page, had a quick glance at the nearest unlogged finds and whoh ! Whats this

Another column with grey boxes and red dots.....

Another upgrade.... by the way I thought as a premium member I was supposed to be told in advance improvements to the website, or is that just a ploy to try to get me to sign up and spend my money ?

What other improvements have been going on recently that I may have missed.... anyone found any ?

I also had a local cacher ask me last week..... What benefits do you get from being a premium member..... Can I ask this also to other premium members and see if they think it is worthwhile....

I to noticed this change this morning. If you hover your mouse pointer over it you will get a description ie "Size: Regular", in other words it gives info on container size.

As for advantages, as far as I am concerned the only real advantage is the Pocket Queries. There are others such as members only caches, power-user options in forums :lol:, Premium Membership logo next to your name and warm fuzzies :) . IMHO the only worthwhile benefit is the pocket queries, but it is an important one.

I spotted the new red dots this morning, as far as i can tell there are only 5 variations in use. The majority are in the middle (regular), there are some at the extreme left (micro) and some at the extreme right ( an 'x' for 'not chosen' or a '?' for 'other' and a 'dotted square' for 'virtual'). I guess the other two are 'small' and 'large' but I have never seen either used. Some of those marked as 'x' or '?' are actually virtual caches, and I have seen some 'x' which are proper boxed caches.

Perhaps we should all re-assess our own caches and correct the sizes. I have found caches which are marked as regular but I would consider them to be 'small' at 6" x 4" x 2", and I am sure there are others which are bigger than the standard lunchbox or ammo box!.

I too am a premium member and besides PQ's I have found no other benefit as yet, despite GC.com's statements about members seeing new features before they are released.

The new icon bar is for the size, as has already been mentioned. All the sizes already exist, apart from the "Small" category. This has been created for cache containers that are between Micro and Regular (such as 0.5 litre tupperware etc).

The sizes aren't available on the cache maintenance pages yet. Geocaching.com are waiting for all the third party software providsers such as GSAK and Cachemate to get their code changed before introducing the new size.

All the above info was found in the "Geocaching.com" forum.

I also had a local cacher ask me last week..... What benefits do you get from being a premium member..... Can I ask this also to other premium members and see if they think it is worthwhile....

The only thing worthwhile to me is the Pocket Queries. I get one every Friday and copy to my Pocket PC, so I always have on the weekends a list of the nearest 400 caches.

Groover

Its visible even when you are not logged in. Nice to see that the long discussed macro or small size may be making an appearance. Should help with all those flare cans. To be notified of changes you need to tick the box on your personal home page. As for member priveledges pocket queries and the geocaching maps is about it really.

Another upgrade.... by the way I thought as a premium member I was supposed to be told in advance improvements to the website, or is that just a ploy to try to get me to sign up and spend my money ?

Like Bill just said ... the box is checked but we've never been informed of new features and changes to the web site.

What other improvements have been going on recently that I may have missed.... anyone found any ?

I believe there's been some server re-shuffling/additions and more storage added. If you read some of the other forums you occassionally pick up snippets of info that get posted by Jeremy and tptb ... usually in reply to someone bitching about the site!! :anibad:

If you read some of the other forums you occassionally pick up snippets of info that get posted by Jeremy and tptb

It looks like "Cache Attributes" might be high on the development list. You know the kind of thing...

Parking/No Parking available... Suitable/Not suitable for wheelchairs... Toilets/Bushes nearby... No smoking... Holiday cache with duff/correct co-ordinates...

(edited for editing)

Edited by wildlifewriter