Yellow Jeep Locater Reveals My Hiding Place!

Yellow Alligator

OK, maybe I'm over-reacting, but I just entered a new cache within the hour (not approved yet), and left a yellow jeep in there. This is a puzzle cache, and I entered the usual note to the reviewer saying what the actual coords are.

About 30 minutes later, I got an email from another geocacher who said he could "see" my page through the jeep locater (the email that tells you a jeep in some distance away), and I'm thinking that the folks that looked at this ALSO saw the note to the reviewer with the LOCATION written in plain sight!!! I immediately went in an deleted the note to the reviewer, but if other geocachers saw this, the damage has already been done.

My question, can others see my note to the reviewer through the Jeep Locator email???

Whew! Had me worried there. I tried to remove the jeep, but I didn't write down the tracking number so I guess I'm stuck there. But, because the coords are not for the actual location (puzzle), if folks try to track it down they won't find anything. I will remember this lesson for future hides. OK, guess I'll repost my note to the reviewer. Thanks so much for your help!

YA

Hold off on dropping bugs onto your cache page until right after it's been listed.

That's why I never put a tb in a new cache, anymore! To the experienced FTF hunter, they can find the cache, almost right after you drop a tb in it. I had one found the exact same way last year, "FTFBA" First To Find Before Approved. LIVE AND LEARN. :huh: SF1

But how can they find just any old Tbug's location (other than the jeep ones that have the locater email sent out to the world)?

If you're watching a TB (same as you can watch a cache), you're notified of its movements. A few times I've gotten an email on a TB that was on my watchlist that was dropped in a new cache that wasn't active yet.

But how can they find just any old Tbug's location (other than the jeep ones that have the locater email sent out to the world)?

Assuming the bug has been placed into other caches beforehand, they can go to the bug's page and see that the bug was moved some number of miles in a direction. I think that then gives them enough information to start a search along that arc.

By going into the tb page, and searching for "Latest tb reports" or on the Main Page, scroll top the bottom and click on "more logs". When someone drops a tb with a "post a note" it's a hint as well!

Was it Jeep #1574, you picked up from Blackwell and placed in A Letter xxxxxx.?

See what I mean. Not too hard!

If I tell you the rest of the classified info: , I'll have to make you disappear :huh: and never to be herd from again! SF1

Ahhh, then only if you are watching it can you find it. I was wondering if there was some new feature that I didn't know about where one could search for nearest Tbugs from a given coordinate.  I can see why this wouldn't be a good feature to have.  Thanks for all the great info folks, I appreciate it!

No so!

I wasn't watching it ( the cache or the tb ), in any way! With just your name I found everything I needed to know! :huh: Oh BTW: I'll be logging the find to your cache as soon as it's approved. Also, I have the jeep already! :huh: Too bad your a few hundres miles west of me or I'd come for the hunt! SF1

Yes, you know everything about that jeep Tbug now- but I bet you couldn't find the actual cache! :):):) You guys are pretty good at this. Guess I should visit these forum pages more often for tips and fixes! :lol::D

Don't get so cocky. :)

Seriously, though, I have the cords of a cache, and not only do I have the cords, but I received them before the cache was approved - AND it's a members only cache.

And I got them because a travel bug on my watch list was placed in the cache before it was approved.

True that I won't have any clues about this cache (well, that's not entirely true, but lets say for the sake of this being traditional and pretend I didn't give the cache away as a prize)... From travel notification you can get the cords of the cache it's been placed in, through the Groundspeak site, without going to the cache's actual page.

If ya wanna have fun with 'em, place the bug in a new cache that's offset. If it's a mystery/puzzle or multi, the page coords don't show the actual location. Send these FTFBA'ers on a wild goose chase. Call it the Wild Goose Chase Cache :lol:

edited for stupidity

Edited by SeventhSon
No, they can't see your cache page while it's in review mode.  But, as for any travel bug, the posted coordinates on the cache page can be determined through going to the travel bug's page and zooming in on its current location.  If this bothers you, hold off on dropping bugs onto your cache page until right after it's been listed.

WRONG !!

if you know a TB's address or name and then go to the cache page via the link provided - this is a page that has NOT yet been approved - you can see all notes - to/from - the approver.

I just looked at one of mine -

this is a real problem

Edited by CompuCash
No, they can't see your cache page while it's in review mode.  But, as for any travel bug, the posted coordinates on the cache page can be determined through going to the travel bug's page and zooming in on its current location.  If this bothers you, hold off on dropping bugs onto your cache page until right after it's been listed.

WRONG !!

if you know a TB's address or name and then go to the cache page via the link provided - this is a page that has NOT yet been approved - you can see all notes - to/from - the approver.

I just looked at one of mine -

this is a real problem

Chill, man. You can only see it because it's your cache page. You're allowed to view your own cache pages, at any time. If someone tries it, they'll get an error page.

No, they can't see your cache page while it's in review mode. But, as for any travel bug, the posted coordinates on the cache page can be determined through going to the travel bug's page and zooming in on its current location. If this bothers you, hold off on dropping bugs onto your cache page until right after it's been listed.

And he was concerned because it was a puzzle cache. Even if someone does track a cache through a tbug, it's just going to show the posted coordinates, which, since it's a puzzle cache, are probably false.

I just grabbed an FTFBA and grabbed a couple of bugs while I was there. The cache has not yet been approved so I haven't logged it yet, but I did log the bugs. Both have been grabbed from me, even tho I still physically have them, because they were "stolen" and taken in a "dis-honest manner".

Was I wrong in doing this??

you can just grab them back. see who gets tired first. you didn't steal them. i once had a bug removed from a cache and the cache owner considered it theft although i was just as happy to have my bug moved. it just didn't suit the cache owner's rules, which were not mine, notr were they the rules of the person who took my TB, who didn't claim the cache as found. he just went to grab the bug.

stolen? hardly.

and it doen't matter if they keep grabbing it back. what are they going to do if you re-grab it and place it in a cache/ you've still had the bug, and it's still where you put it. no matter how many times the bug gets re-grabbed, they still can't place it anywhere unless they have it.