First timer !!!

Guest relichound

Guest relichound

Went out on my first geocaching adventure today and must say this hobby rocks!!!. I had great time and can hardly wait to log me another cashe. I have been a avid relic hunter and do a little bit of fossil hunting also, but I can see after today I will be doing a lot more geocaching.

Thinks to all the help on the forums. You guys help alot.

Jerry

Guest ClayJar

Had my first geocaching road trip today. I must say that just throwing your pack in the car (complete with a nice stack of cache pages) and seeing how far you can get has a certain appeal. I managed to hit three caches in southern Mississippi, ending about two and a half hours from Baton Rouge. (If I hadn't lost my cash somewhere in the vicinity of the second cache, I could have eaten something and hit one more.)

I must say, too, that I would never have discovered Longleaf Trace or Johnson State Park if there had not been caches there. I noticed I passed two state parks in Louisiana, too.

I've hiked and biked at a total of three places since I moved down to Louisiana in the mid 80's. Since I discovered geocaching, I've found three nice hiking/biking/etc. places, and I've only hunted four caches. I guess all I needed was a good excuse and some tips, and geocaching does both of those things very, very well.

Guest Miles678

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

(If I hadn't lost my cash somewhere in the vicinity of the second cache, I could have eaten something and hit one more.)

Clayjar is inventing a new sport. Let's call it geoCASHing. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, sorry to hear about your loss. Hope it turns up for you.

Guest Miles678

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

(If I hadn't lost my cash somewhere in the vicinity of the second cache, I could have eaten something and hit one more.)

Clayjar is inventing a new sport. Let's call it geoCASHing. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, sorry to hear about your loss. Hope it turns up for you.

Guest ClayJar

Actually, I hope it turns up for another geocacher. It wasn't enough to cry over (although I was quite hungry by the time I got home), but if it get more people to go to my local (+/- a state) geocaches, it was worth it.

Of course, if I can convince a friend to try geocaching this weekend, I'll probably stop by that cache... just in case and all that. icon_wink.gif

Guest ClayJar

Actually, I hope it turns up for another geocacher. It wasn't enough to cry over (although I was quite hungry by the time I got home), but if it get more people to go to my local (+/- a state) geocaches, it was worth it.

Of course, if I can convince a friend to try geocaching this weekend, I'll probably stop by that cache... just in case and all that. icon_wink.gif

Guest Miles678

too far away to be able to help. Sorry about that.

At least it wasn't that much. And if you're like me, it wasn't the first time you've come in from geocaching with a good appetite.

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Miles678:

At least it wasn't that much. And if you're like me, it wasn't the first time you've come in from geocaching with a good appetite.

Actually, it was the first time I've come in from geocaching hungry. icon_smile.gif (Full disclosure: I've only been out twice, and the first time was just a 1/1 local cache, but I have come in from a confluence quite hungry.)

The cache was Johnson SP in Mississippi, and someone else went there the same day, apparently. They apparently took the same path I took and bushwhacked across the same stretch I did... either they went before me or a non-geocacher (GASP!) found the money (awww).

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Miles678:

Actually, it was the first time I've come in from geocaching hungry. icon_smile.gif (Full disclosure: I've only been out twice, and the first time was just a 1/1 local cache, but I have come in from a confluence quite hungry.)

The cache was Johnson SP in Mississippi, and someone else went there the same day, apparently. They apparently took the same path I took and bushwhacked across the same stretch I did... either they went before me or a non-geocacher (GASP!) found the money (awww).

Guest Miles678

Actually, I've done worse than you. I decided to do some bushwhacking one evening right after I started geocaching. I'm an experienced hiker, but I let my enthusiasm get the best of me.

I realized I wasn't getting anywhere fast and was running out of light, so took the fastest route out. That meant going down through bushes and whatnot (not the selective bushwhacking I'd done up to this point).

I got back to the path and though that I'd better call my wife so she'd know when I'd be in. To my horror ( icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Miles678 (edited 19 June 2001).]

Guest Miles678

Actually, I've done worse than you. I decided to do some bushwhacking one evening right after I started geocaching. I'm an experienced hiker, but I let my enthusiasm get the best of me.

I realized I wasn't getting anywhere fast and was running out of light, so took the fastest route out. That meant going down through bushes and whatnot (not the selective bushwhacking I'd done up to this point).

I got back to the path and though that I'd better call my wife so she'd know when I'd be in. To my horror ( icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Miles678 (edited 19 June 2001).]