Anyone Up For Melvin's??

absolutad

I am in for a hunt but might I humbly suggest you time it with the tides. I recently spoke to the cache owner who informed me that it is best to attempt: a. during the last fall b. during low tide

I have been to stage one and the muck, horse flies, mosquitoes and general filth are very bad at this time of year. Otherwise good luck :huh:

I work just 10 minutes from the park but I've been avoiding this forever. I might be able to do it if we could squeeze it in after work on a weekday. I could be at a meeting place anytime after 3:30 PM.

Even you probably can't grab this one after work, Helmut!

Yes, you need to time the tides. There is a 6ft difference between low tide and high. Full moon and new moon the tides are lower (and higher). You need to get there, get done what you need to get done, and get out before the tide comes in.

I think Marty says it can be done in 2 hours. I think the only way that is true is if you are a duck! It took us about 4hrs if I remember right, and I can't imagine cutting more then an hour off that at most if everything goes perfect and you find each stage in seconds.

Even you probably can't grab this one after work, Helmut!

Yes, you need to time the tides. There is a 6ft difference between low tide and high. Full moon and new moon the tides are lower (and higher). You need to get there, get done what you need to get done, and get out before the tide comes in.

I think Marty says it can be done in 2 hours. I think the only way that is true is if you are a duck! It took us about 4hrs if I remember right, and I can't imagine cutting more then an hour off that at most if everything goes perfect and you find each stage in seconds.

Chris,

In hindsight, I agree - planning is paramount. I got all tide info back in February (I think), then I was going to wait till June'ish when the weather was warmer but never got a chance to do it. If it took the group that you had 4 hours, I don't think I could do it in less then that.

I think I'll just bail out of this one for now as weekends would be tough for me in the fall. I could just see S&R looking for me in the muck in the middle of the night.

I think it could be done r in well under 4 hours. It took us a bit over 2, but we started at the 2nd stage (the first was missing at the time). I can't imagine the 1st stage adding 2 hours.

As long as you split up so one group will be guaranteed to find the real coords (each stage has a real and fake set) and you are in touch with cell phones or radios, it will take a lot less time.

We also walked to the final stagse, which may have cut down on the time it took. I think some subsequent finders have walked back to their car and driven to the last stages, which actually takes more time.

Edited by briansnat

Well... i DO have an inflatable boat... it's a bit big and i would need help carrying it through the reeds...

S&MetAll where do you work? I live like 2 minutes from there..

the times I posted in the first note were to do it at the lowest possible tides during a new moon.... but if we are going to use a boat.. then maybe we would need SOME tide in... and actually.. swimming across the creek is easier then walking through muck isn't it :huh: hehe

I might be able to take a half day next thursday.. it's new years eve and it's a good excuse :huh: lowest tide is at 4:14pm so starting closer to 3:00 or even 2:30ish would probably be good.. low tide is at 0 that day high tide is only 5.5'..

i could bring the boat out ... blow it up at home before hand... what do ya say?

Marty you want to tag along to do maintenance on the caches? :( seems i read that they're pretty waterlogged :huh:

I'd suggest carrying the boat uninflated until you see the need to cross the water.

Can't.. it's too big to fill with a battery powered inflator.. the only good inflator i found was an electric one or car powered one... :wacko:

well .. if we go this thursday afternoon.... i could probably get my dad to watch my son since he's coming home early for rosh hashannah.... hmmmmm