How is this for a neato idea?

allncham & fam

I am excited about hiding my first cache. I have been thinking for a couple of days about the perfect place to hide it. A stroke of genius hit me this evening...BOOM! (Ouch, that really hurt) Where I live overlooks a pond, on the other side is a small patch of woods that I can see from my living room window. Why not hide it there? I may even get lucky and see when someone is searching for it. Coolness! The area is public property, there is a clearing close by where people walk thier dogs and just hang out. I was thinking of making a notation in the log to smile, I may be watching. Probably not a good idea...people may think a freak is hiding in the trees stalking them. Whatta ya' think?

If we were seeking a cache and had a speculation that we were being watched, we simply would not go look for it. For a geocacher to place a telescope or a webcam just waiting for someone to find their cache and watching their every move is a little wierd!

quote:
I may even get lucky and see when someone is searching for it.

Are you for real? That is creepy! icon_eek.gif

Upinyachit thinks it's all about the find and NOT what's in the cache. Of course we like it when a cache is loaded with goodies, but one should never expect it. That way, we are never ever disappointed, don't matter what's inside the cache, just as long as we find it. The cache could only have a log book and we still would be happy.

We can understand wanting to meet fellow geocachers, but maybe you could attend the closest geocaching picnic. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
people may think a freak is hiding in the trees stalking them. Whatta ya' think?

We agree; it could be that we don't know you from beans and to watch a geocacher's actions while searching could make someone feel uncomfortable.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

If we were seeking a cache and had a speculation that we were being watched, we simply would not go look for it. For a geocacher to place a telescope or a webcam just waiting for someone to find their cache and watching their every move is a little wierd!

quote:
I may even get lucky and see when someone is searching for it.

Are you for real? That is creepy! icon_eek.gif

Upinyachit thinks it's all about the find and NOT what's in the cache. Of course we like it when a cache is loaded with goodies, but one should never expect it. That way, we are never ever disappointed, don't matter what's inside the cache, just as long as we find it. The cache could only have a log book and we still would be happy.

We can understand wanting to meet fellow geocachers, but maybe you could attend the closest geocaching picnic. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
people may think a freak is hiding in the trees stalking them. Whatta ya' think?

We agree; it could be that we don't know you from beans and to watch a geocacher's actions while searching could make someone feel uncomfortable.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

quote:
I was thinking of making a notation in the log to smile, I may be watching. Probably not a good idea...people may think a freak is hiding in the trees stalking them. Whatta ya' think?

IMHO I think if you put a notation on the cache page for people to maybe wave {in whatever general direction} when they find it that it might be kind of fun. We have a local cache that is right outside someone's work and they pretty much say that very thing! They even invite them in to say a quick "Hi". A very nice bunch of fellas too.

But... I also agree that attending any local cache events and meeting the other cachers would go a long way towards helping SOME people feel a little less uptight about the possibility of someone watching them.

Go for it!!

wavey.gif

quote:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers (1879-1935)

I know of a couple of fellows who placed very difficult caches who specifically asked people to notify them when they intended to search, so they could watch from nearby vantage points. ... Hey, with the soon-to-be "Official Geocaching FRS Radio Channel," just think how easy and convenient it will be for cache hiders to heckle seekers. icon_wink.gif

I know of a couple of fellows who placed very difficult caches who specifically asked people to notify them when they intended to search, so they could watch from nearby vantage points. ... Hey, with the soon-to-be "Official Geocaching FRS Radio Channel," just think how easy and convenient it will be for cache hiders to heckle seekers. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Sounds like a good name for a cache... "Hide and go Heckle"!! warmer, warmer, cooler, cooler, man you suck!

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Sounds like a good name for a cache... "Hide and go Heckle"!! warmer, warmer, cooler, cooler, man you suck!

Hey, im not sure how great a response you will have from people looking for your cache but you could sure try it. I know you would get a chuckle if you saw me tripping over logs, stepping in mudholes and fighting off those lethal spider webs,,,,hehe.

Personally i wouldnt have a problem with this. If you think about it, theres probably others placed the same way, only on these we might be watched without ever knowing?

Several months back in these forums there was a discussion about a geocacher who placed a cache on public land behind his back fence. Whenever a cacher was searching for a cache, all the neighborhood dogs would begin barking, and that was his cue to take a picture. I think he was even posting pictures on his cache page of cachers in the act. Most on the thread thought it was a neat idea!

I have a cache like that. I placed it at my work (a local government building), with permission. See it for yourself here. I don't tell people I'm watching, because I usually am not, but I did see Abraxas come for the cache a couple of weeks back, and it was pretty entertaining. icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Cache 'n' carry... My 4 year old!

I have a cache like that. I placed it at my work (a local government building), with permission. See it for yourself here. I don't tell people I'm watching, because I usually am not, but I did see Abraxas come for the cache a couple of weeks back, and it was pretty entertaining. icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Cache 'n' carry... My 4 year old!

Thanks for the replies. I think I will make a notation on the cache page when I do place it. Thinking about it though, most people cache hunt on the weekends or evenings. I am never at home these time....so much to do, so little time. I suppose the chances of someone looking for the cache at the same moment I happen to be looking out my window are pretty slim. Still, though, I think it is a neat idea.

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

*laugh* Geocaching in itself is a little bit weird... the idea of someone enjoying seeing someone find a cache they have hidden doesn't seem that strange to me. icon_smile.gif I know I'm very happy when people include pictures in their logs to my caches - I just feel good knowing that someone has gotten some enjoyment from a cache I've placed, I guess.

quote:
Are you for real? That is creepy!

Are you doing something at these caches that you don't want people to see? icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

quote:

*laugh* Geocaching in itself is a little bit weird... the idea of someone enjoying seeing someone find a cache they have hidden doesn't seem that strange to me. icon_smile.gif I know I'm very happy when people include pictures in their logs to my caches - I just feel good knowing that someone has gotten some enjoyment from a cache I've placed, I guess.

quote:
Are you for real? That is creepy!

Are you doing something at these caches that you don't want people to see? icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

Candie and I sometimes learn a lot from reading the forums and having an open mind to a fellow geocachers opinion. icon_smile.gif

Quote from Runaraound

quote:
That's a pretty big leap from the original post. Maybe you need to lighten up a little.

How so? When we reply to a topic on the forums, it is OUR opinion. We don't have a negative attitude, or like pushing other members buttons to upset them. icon_eek.gif We just state how WE feel. icon_smile.gif For a member to quote us and ask us to lighten up, geez, maybe you should practice what you preach. The SUBJECT is "HOW IS THIS FOR A NEATO IDEA?" We gave our opinion and that's that!

We realize every member isn't going to agree with us.

We personally do not like the idea of being watched. We went on a cache almost a hundred miles from home round trip and got there to find it was right next to someone's home. We turned around and went home, without a find. So what.

To Each His Own. icon_biggrin.gif

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

flowerpower.gif

Candie and I sometimes learn a lot from reading the forums and having an open mind to a fellow geocachers opinion. icon_smile.gif

Quote from Runaraound

quote:
That's a pretty big leap from the original post. Maybe you need to lighten up a little.

How so? When we reply to a topic on the forums, it is OUR opinion. We don't have a negative attitude, or like pushing other members buttons to upset them. icon_eek.gif We just state how WE feel. icon_smile.gif For a member to quote us and ask us to lighten up, geez, maybe you should practice what you preach. The SUBJECT is "HOW IS THIS FOR A NEATO IDEA?" We gave our opinion and that's that!

We realize every member isn't going to agree with us.

We personally do not like the idea of being watched. We went on a cache almost a hundred miles from home round trip and got there to find it was right next to someone's home. We turned around and went home, without a find. So what.

To Each His Own. icon_biggrin.gif

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

flowerpower.gif

Well, since I'm in no mood for a flame war, let me clarify my point.

Go back to the original post. The cacher has a location that he can see from his living room. He's excited about it. He asked what people thought about the note he would put in the log book. He already convinced himself that it would probably be a bad idea.

2 messages later this has suddenly become a case of cyber-stalking with a web cam or telescope when neither was mentioned originally? I don't see how you got from point A to point B.

Around here, a large percentage of the available caches are within sight of a house or in an area where people can be watching. All of the public lands are very heavily used. Who cares if someone sees me while I'm caching? I'm not doing anything illegal. As long as the cache remains hidden from unwanted eyes, that's all that matters.

If a cache had a note to smile because I was on Candid Camera, I would find it amusing. I visited a cache that was located near someone's front yard. The note in the box said to stop on by and say hello, so I did and I met a really nice couple. We had a fun conversation about geocaching and other topics over a cup of coffee in their kitchen. GASP!!!!! A complete stranger invited me into their home? And I drank something they gave me without calling for the royal food taster?

Let them watch me while I'm caching. If they get some entertainment watching me curse my way through the underbrush, fine by me.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

quote:

How so? When we reply to a topic on the forums, it is OUR opinion. For a member to quote us and ask us to lighten up, geez, maybe you should practice what you preach.

Well, you DID take the original posters comments about "maybe seeing someone looking for (his) cache" and made it sound like he would be setting up surveillance equipment and monitoring the site all day and night. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I'm curious... yeah, to each his own - but what is your aversion against someone seeing you while you look for a cache? Sure, you don't want the whole world to watch you dig a cache out of the woods - but if someone places a cache next to someone's house, they've obviously accepted the risk that the cache and seekers may be seen.

I'm just trying to understand what would be so horrible about someone seeing you, that you'd drive 50 miles to a cache and then not log it, and then just drive back home.

- Toe.

quote:

How so? When we reply to a topic on the forums, it is OUR opinion. For a member to quote us and ask us to lighten up, geez, maybe you should practice what you preach.

Well, you DID take the original posters comments about "maybe seeing someone looking for (his) cache" and made it sound like he would be setting up surveillance equipment and monitoring the site all day and night. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I'm curious... yeah, to each his own - but what is your aversion against someone seeing you while you look for a cache? Sure, you don't want the whole world to watch you dig a cache out of the woods - but if someone places a cache next to someone's house, they've obviously accepted the risk that the cache and seekers may be seen.

I'm just trying to understand what would be so horrible about someone seeing you, that you'd drive 50 miles to a cache and then not log it, and then just drive back home.

- Toe.

Reminds of years ago when I worked for a repossession agency and they were going to repossess my neighbor's car. I sat up and watched out the window for as long as I could stand it to see how stealthy they would be about taking the car away. Got bored real fast watching nothing out the window. And they never came and took the car either, guy worked it out with his bank. What fun is that?

I don't think I'd want to be watched while caching. But come out and say hi, that's fine.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:

quote:
He asked what people thought about the note he would put in the log book.

Runaround, if you happen to read the original question,

quote:
I was thinking of making a notation in the log to smile, I may be watching. Probably not a good idea...people may think a freak is hiding in the trees stalking them. Whatta ya' think?
The member clearly asked "WHATTA YA' THINK?" We did just that; we told the member what WE think.

quote:
2 messages later this has suddenly become a case of cyber-stalking with a web cam or telescope when neither was mentioned originally? I don't see how you got from point A to point B.

When a fellow geocacher states "I may be watching", it doesn't matter how the member may be watching; a telescope, webcam or binoculars. We simply wouldn't like it. There are enough cameras out there already watching our every move. When we go on a cache, we want to relax, enjoy the scenery, use our gps, and bring OUR family closer together.

We understand a fellow geocacher wanting to meet or see fellow geocachers looking for their cache.

It would probably be funny, who knows! We don't think someone would "stalk" us, as you say. Meeting other geocachers is way cool. We just don't want to follow our gps to their front door! icon_eek.gif

We feel that there is a proper place to meet other cachers. The geocaching picnic in Rochester, NY back in June, for example. The kids and us enjoyed meeting all the local geocachers. We can now place faces with names. icon_wink.gif

If someone wants to place a cache with a web cam or to watch them by their home, then go for it. Just make sure that you list it on your cache page and give other geocachers the choice of whether or not they want to be watched.

Duane from

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

quote:

quote:
He asked what people thought about the note he would put in the log book.

Runaround, if you happen to read the original question,

quote:
The member clearly asked "WHATTA YA' THINK?" We did just that; we told the member what WE think.

quote:

When a fellow geocacher states "I may be watching", it doesn't matter how the member may be watching; a telescope, webcam or binoculars. We simply wouldn't like it. There are enough cameras out there already watching our every move. When we go on a cache, we want to relax, enjoy the scenery, use our gps, and bring OUR family closer together.

We understand a fellow geocacher wanting to meet or see fellow geocachers looking for their cache.

It would probably be funny, who knows! We don't think someone would "stalk" us, as you say. Meeting other geocachers is way cool. We just don't want to follow our gps to their front door! icon_eek.gif

We feel that there is a proper place to meet other cachers. The geocaching picnic in Rochester, NY back in June, for example. The kids and us enjoyed meeting all the local geocachers. We can now place faces with names. icon_wink.gif

If someone wants to place a cache with a web cam or to watch them by their home, then go for it. Just make sure that you list it on your cache page and give other geocachers the choice of whether or not they want to be watched.

Duane from

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

I set out recently for a cache in a neighborhood I had never visited. It seemed like an easy cache, I thought I'd breeze right in and out. Well I sure did. Not because I found the cache quickly, in fact I never even got out of the car. The houses were so fancy, so beautiful, so *expensive* and I'm riding around in a turd on wheels. (But hey, it runs.... knock on wood) Naturally there were an incredible number of people out taking walks, mowing their grass, all near to the vacant lots(?) where the cache is supposed to be. I couldn't bring myself to park the turd next to one of these houses and start wandering around the empty lot, staring at my weird hand-held gadget, and poking around in the bushes with a stick. Not with the all the nobility watching.

It probably wouldn't have been a big deal, I have the suspicion that the "planter" lived nearby - maybe his house was even next door. I just felt really outclassed and uncomfortable, so I made the choice to turn back.

On a more even playing field, I think it'd be a hoot to know that the planter might be watching from nearby. No doubt I'm quite comical brandishing my probing stick like a sword to combat spiderwebs.

"The clarity is devastating. But where is the ambiguity?

Over there, in a box."

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

I just felt really outclassed and uncomfortable...

I bet the nice yuppie couple that shows up at the nice rutty and muddy road to a cache in their Lexus or Mercedes luxury SUV feel a little outclassed by the Jeeps, 4runners, and Broncos that leave them behind--and at less than a quater of the price!

Class is subjective, relative, and irrelevant. What you saw was people's ability to BUY things and that doesn't always equate to "class." People can have "class" regardless of their socio-economic postion.

Hey, they would have never known if you weren't a contractor of some sort!

...or just eccentric!

CR