Bomb Squade Called For Local Cache

eddthejailer

it was in the bedford indiana's times mail this last week about a cache in springville indiana that someone saw placed and went to see what it was and it was i piece of 4 inch or so pvc pipe with end caps on it wrapped completly with cammo tape.local crane naval wepons base come in with a robot who x-rayed the pipe and seen wires in it so they placed it in a bomb box and blew it up.once they opened the mess they seen school supplies and the log. the paper even showed a learn more about geocaching list right beside the article.i think you can find this article on the web at the times mail addy.

Game item brings out bomb squad

SPRINGVILLE - An Internet game called "Geocaching" caused quite a stir at the new Springville Community Park on Monday. Several area departments, including a bomb disposal squad from the Naval Support Activity-Crane, responded to a suspicious object ...

www.tmnews.com/articles/2004/08/31/sections/news/news88.txt -  2.4K - Aug. 31, 2004

Come on, Brian ... certainly you must know about the PVC cache in our area that even has a red pushbutton "switch" on it.

No, I'm not aware of it, but its not the container, its the placement. It's just plain foolish to place a pipe bomb-like container in a high traffic area where its likely to be accidently discovered, which is apparently what was done here.

No, I'm not aware of it, but its not the container, its the placement.

Ah. If it's placement that matters, then what about that (now archived) cache in our area that was placed in front of a firehouse (and behind a police station) by a cop? People, including me, seemed to enjoy it.

Edited by BassoonPilot
I tried that at the airport once. "There is no bomb in my luggage."

It was not nearly as successful as I thought it would be... :o

Back in the olden days when they first started searching luggage at the airports it was all manual even at OHare. I was on a 1 day trip and I packed everything I needed in a large brief case. When I got to the inspector I told her "That's going to explode when you release the latch." She looked at me sternly and said "We don't joke around here." I said "OK". She then flipped the latch, the top blew open about 6 inches, and she flew backward into the wall. I just stood there not even smiling. :huh:

Ok,OK, back on topic!!! So I guess my 4 6" PVC sections strapped together with duct tape for use as a TB motel (NSEW) under the rocks by the suspension bridge tower isn't going to get approved? :o

This isn't 9/10/01. It's a different world out there. I like PVC and ammo cans but this does make a good case for clear plastic. It's supposed to be a game, not a public safety training activity.

This isn't 9/10/01. It's a different world out there. I like PVC and ammo cans but this does make a good case for clear plastic. It's supposed to be a game, not a public safety training activity.

I'm afraid it makes no case at all. If you bother to follow these, most of the caches blown up have been tupperware style caches. Even if it's clear, what can you really see in a cache, especially when it's in place. They aren't going to take a chance and pick it up and rattle it to see what's in all those ziplocks.

Besides, all the rail bombs in Europe a few months ago used clear rectangular rubbermaid containers with white lids. Gee, what else looks like that?

gc.com really should start selling stickers so that we can label the containers with the fact that the container is a geocache and maybe even provide a place for contact information. I think it would be a good idea to have stickers of varying sizes so that large, small, and even micro caches could have positive identification.

It might not prevent the call to the bomb squad, but it would save them having to blow it up.

oh wait...

...It might not prevent the call to the bomb squad,...

Preventing the call is the one place were we have the most control by marking the container.

Marking the container AND using common sense with regards to the type of container and the area that its hidden. Use these formulas:

PVC pipe hidden 3 miles into the forest = GOOD

PVC pipe hidden in a train station = BAD

Ammo box in a remote rock formation in the state park = GOOD

Ammo box in children's playground next to swing set = BAD

Ammo box hidden in a stump in the county park 200 yards from nearest trail = GOOD

Ammo box hidden in bushes next to park bench on the town green = BAD

PVC pipe hidden at base of cliff = GOOD

PVC pipe hidden in the phone booth across from Starbucks = BAD

Edited by briansnat
gc.com really should start selling stickers so that we can label the containers with the fact that the container is a geocache and maybe even provide a place for contact information. I think it would be a good idea to have stickers of varying sizes so that large, small, and even micro caches could have positive identification.

They should definitely do this.

Maybe sell something like these.

Or these.

OR EVEN THESE!

Oh wait... were you being ironical?