Disappointed In 60cs Auto Routing

ChicoJeff

A couple recent road trips have made me like the auto routing less and less. Twice now I have created a route in Mapsource, downloaded it to the 60cs, and when I activate the route it calculates a different path. Even if I have added via points to force it to go a certain way, the 60cs will sometimes choose a different path... sometimes backtracking to hit the via point.

Both products are working off the same map data (City Select 6), so that makes me think it is the routing algorithm. And yes, I had the detail maps downloaded for the entire route.

A couple days ago I was driving from Northern CA to the SF bay area. The route on Mapsource had me going down I5 to 505 to 80 and so on. The 60cs was trying with all its might to avoid 505. Even as I was getting on I5, it was trying to have me turn around and backtrack 30 miles to get to hwy 99. It wasn't until I actually got on 505 that it decided that was an OK route to take.

Does anyone know any tricks to defining routes that will get you the same results on the 60cs as Mapsource? It seems that the route is just a couple waypoints and when sent to the 60cs it calculates it's own path.

Oh, and the 60cs is using the latest firmware (3.50)

It sounds like you may have the Avoid Highways option checked on your 60CS.

Go to the Setup Menu and look at Routing. Under Follow Road Options there are a few check boxes on things to avoid when auto routing... look to see if Highways is checked. Mapsource also has this feature (listed in Preferences under the Edit menu).

I'm a new 60CS owner but I have read the manual cover-to-cover twice. A few possibilities come to mind with this issue: The first issue would be your "method of transport" slection in the routing setup. The next most likely issue is the "calculation time" selection - I would select "best route" (or whatever calculates the best possible route at the expense of calculation time).

Hope this helps you out ...

I have a Vista C which has similar software according to the reviews I've read.

I too have seen some REALLY wacky routing. Much of the real crazy stuff has occured when driving from one section where I have full detail maps to another where I have only the basemaps. For example, on a trip from Lexington, VA to Williamsburg, VA, I had full detail maps for the entire trip (MS5) except for a very tiny section near the Golf Club at Brickshire (where 64 crosses 155) Instead of turning from Rt 295 to Rt 64, the auto routing had me go onto Rt 360 and then down Rt 30.

Another example - When I set my route in MapSource, it correctly took me over the Tappen-Zee instead of across the Cross Bronx. Same route on the Vista (no detail maps on NYC due to extreme memory needs) and the route goes over the GW. Had to set a waypoint on the Tappen-Zee to get it to plot correctly.

Once you are in a metro area and using the autorouting to find a particular place, it does seem to do well, but when you span maps, and especially when it includes base maps, the routing gets very confused.

What would be nice would to have the ability to download the detailed maps, and none of the other crap like food, lodging, etc. for those areas you want coverage, but don't need the extra data. For example, I can have both the Topos and street data for Massachusetts as long as I don't have the Boston area street data. Add that street data and I'm down to only half or less of the state with both topos and street data.

For most trips, I intend to set waypoints, so I don't need to know all those other data points. In fact, some of the best places I have found to eat are not even IN the database. Try to find the Port Clinton Hotel in Port Clinton, PA.

I very much hope to see at least an updated firmware to address routing. I'd LOVE to see an updated Map Source to address levels of detail.

..... Even if I have added via points to force it to go a certain way, the 60cs will sometimes choose a different path... sometimes backtracking to hit the via point......

ChicoJeff it sounds to me that you have done everything correctly which makes it very puzzling. The only thing I could suggest is making sure you haven't made the same mistake that I have a couple of times. That is when working with viapoints on major highways or interstates that you put them on the correct lanes. Even make sure its not an on-ramp, service road or somesuch. To use your route as an example try putting a point on 505 but make sure its on the southbound through-lanes. I made that mistake on a limited access highway one time and the resulting route was a work of art (as in string-art) to say the least.

Good luck, Olar

"method of transport" slection

Non-60cs owner:

What's this about?

Jamie

Jamie the autorouting preferences want to know what you are driving so that it can adjust accordingly. An example would be a truck that may not be allowed on residential area roads whereas a car/motorcycle is. Another would be a bus allowed in buslanes but no other vehicle. etc, etc.

Cheers, Olar

Under the Follow Road Option in Setup you can select Car/Motorcycle, Truck, Bus, Emergency, Taxi, Delivery, and Pedestrian, according to my manual.

Hmmm...

Any way to have the unit avoid interstates? This could be useful for my bicycle trips.

Jamie

What was the original question?

Any way to have the unit avoid interstates? This could be useful for my bicycle trips.

Yes, in fact there is both an avoid highways option and a bicycle vehicle setting (which can be set simultaniously). While the avoid highways option by itself seems to work more as a suggestion than a requirement (it sometimes still routes on highways), my understanding is that setting it for bicycle will keep you off limited-access roads and route you on more direct routes, often through developments rather than preferring major roadways.

my understanding is that setting it for bicycle will keep you off limited-access roads and route you on more direct routes, often through developments rather than preferring major roadways.

Hmmmm... Now this I like. Even for my car.

I'll have to get my hands on one and try it out.

Jamie