Removing Waypoints - Etrex Vista

G O Casher

Does anyone know how I can remove a waypoint from the map on a Garmin etrex Vista unit, without deleting the waypoint alltogether. There are waypoints that I would like to keep in the unit, without them being displayed on the map. When I load a waypoint, it's in the list. Then when I goto the waypoint it appears on the map. Now I want to remove it from the map, but keep it in the list.

Hope this is clear.

Thank you for your help.

I think the answer is ... "no"

I tried the same thing on my 76S, which has a lot in common with the Vista.

I tried cursoring over to the waypoint and hit "enter" and got the standard waypoint screen, "menu" did not provide any help...

However, one does wonder why you would want to do this?

I left my Vista in the car, but I recall that on the Map setup page, you can do things with the Waypoints (make them bigger or not shown at all). Of course that doesw it for all waypoints.

A way around your "problem" could be to change one coordinate to take it off the map you're loking at. For example., chnage the north corrdinat by 10 degrees. (ie. N41 53.234 gets changed to N51 53.234) The waypoint will be in the table but way off the map page ypou're looking at. Then when you want it back you'l remember the chagne back easily.

OK! Thank you for your response. I thought I was missing something, or that someone had a workaround.

I think it would be a good feature because I could keep the waypoints in my unit, but not have cluttered maps when I go out hunting for a cache. I live near a nature preserve, and there are 8 or 9 hidden caches, some with micros. That's alot of waypoints in a 1 mile segment of the preserve.

Thank you again,

G O Casher

On my Magellan ST Pro, after updating the firmware, one of the new features is the option of turning individual waypoints on or off, so that they don't appear on the map, but they remian in the list. Don't know if the Garmins have that option or not, but you might want to e-mail Garmin and suggest it for their next firmware upgrade.

Edited by 4x4van
I live near a nature preserve, and there are 8 or 9 hidden caches, some with micros. That's alot of waypoints in a 1 mile segment of the preserve.

Besides changing the waypoint symbol, as suggested by Go JayBee, I use the two zoom buttons on the upper left side of my eTrex Vista (top button zooms out, bottom button zooms in) to adjust the map scale.

By using different waypoint symbols and zooming in on the map, I'm able to get a clear picture of even the most crowded areas.