Tadpoles

mickledore

Unless you suffer from arrested development you move on to geocacher. I prefer to stay a tadpole. It's my little protest against growing up. ;)

Edit: Just read the rest of the question, if you are refering to the number next to the text "post" why yes that would be post and not caches found.

Edited by rusty_tlc

right the top post of the forum index is an area of IMPORTANT TOPICS -

note that one is FAQ's - there is a whole host of information here just for you -

many of the posts will point you to other sites and areas as well as previous postes.

that will take you a while to go though -

Edited by CompuCash

Welcome! Feel free to post as often as you want, and ask as many questions as you want, but as Compucash suggeted, pls read the FAQ first - a lot of questions have already been asked, and answsered in great detail. The search functions for the forums will often provide lots of info too!

Welcome!  Feel free to post as often as you want, and ask as many questions as you want, but as Compucash suggeted, pls read the FAQ first - a lot of questions have already been asked, and answsered in great detail.  The search functions for the forums will often provide lots of info too!

If you post all you want, you might end up like me ;)

and how was that Sax? That you ended up that is?

Welcome!  Feel free to post as often as you want, and ask as many questions as you want, but as Compucash suggeted, pls read the FAQ first - a lot of questions have already been asked, and answsered in great detail.  The search functions for the forums will often provide lots of info too!

If you post all you want, you might end up like me ;)

Short and blue. :D

right the top post of the forum index is an area of IMPORTANT TOPICS -

note that one is FAQ's - there is a whole host of information here just for you -

many of the posts will point you to other sites and areas as well as previous postes.

OK smart arse. I presume you are a fat Yank sat there stuffing his face with burgers and coke. I looked there first, and there is nothing that answers my question. So big head, would you care to point out just where all the information I asked for can be found. Remember, Uncle Sam, this is a section for beginners, and if everyone has an attitude like yours you won't get many more. Try and be helpful, once you lot have taken over the world. Yanks make me puke. Is there anyone out there who has any sort of sense?

First off we don't call names in this forum and we don't get personal - so please play nice.

Play Nice? you say? that is exactly what I was trying to do when I pointed you to the FAQ's.

Note the following also -

Welcome! Feel free to post as often as you want, and ask as many questions as you want, but as Compucash suggeted, pls read the FAQ first - a lot of questions have already been asked, and answsered in great detail. The search functions for the forums will often provide lots of info too!

I am sorry if you do not like to take polite suggestions. Many newbees don't read that section - you did not indicate that you had looked in there - I didn't even notice it for a few days when I got here.

So just because you have a short fuse don't automatically assume ( a** - u - me )

that people here are out to light it. Back off - take a deep breath and go back and read my post from the point of view of someone who just read your self admitted newbee post.

When you get done - I'll accept your most sincere appology.

Most of us here who post in the Getting Started forum do so to help you new people get up to speed in what you are doing and using these web pages. So if you don't like getting directions and how to's then don't come in here and ask questions - and if you don't like the answers then don't ask questions or go find the answers yourself.

Now having said all that - I'd like to welcome you to the sport, these pages, and a new way of life. And now - please go back and read this post with the sincerity and total lack of angst with which it was written.

And if you think I am kidding ask anyone here if I have ever flamed or belittled anyone on this or any forum.

;)

editied to add - I am neither a Yank nor fat! :D

Edited by CompuCash
Since you are in the UK I guess that make me a Yank -

I'm in California (probably worse to you) but a yank to me is an East Coast - Norther half - resident.

Actually I think they are in

Sock Capital of the World

Fort Payne, Alabama

According to The Hosiery Association, the industry's leading trade association, one out of every eight Americans who put on a pair of socks this morning will be wearing a pair made in Fort Payne/DeKalb County. The area's first sock mill, the W.B. Davis Hosiery Mill (1907), is no longer producing socks but still houses an antique mall with artifacts left over from the mill's past—and, understandably, lots of lint.

Or possibly

Troll Capital of the World

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin

Mount Horeb is ground zero for this country's troll and mustard communities. One can start the day with a "Troll Stroll" down The Trollway, site of the country's largest collection of life-sized troll sculptures, which are carved into trees along the town's main drag. Then finish the day with a visit to the Mount Horeb Mustard Museum, featuring more than 3,500 mustards.

Hard to be sure though. ;)

Until I get a SENSIBLE reply to my original question my opinion of you stands. This is a forum for beginners, where you may get questions, the answers to which, may seem blindingly obvious to you. Remember not everyone spends all day looking at computer screens, and sometimes, just sometimes you too need help when dealing with something that you have not come across before.

Just for once try and think of others.

Since you are in the UK I guess that make me a Yank -

I'm in California (probably worse to you) but a yank to me is an East Coast - Norther half - resident.

Well its worse to me anyways ;)

OK smart arse. I presume you are a fat Yank sat there stuffing his face with burgers and coke. I looked there first, and there is nothing that answers my question. So big head, would you care to point out just where all the information I asked for can be found. Remember, Uncle Sam, this is a section for beginners, and if everyone has an attitude like yours you won't get many more. Try and be helpful, once you lot have taken over the world. Yanks make me puke. Is there anyone out there who has any sort of sense?

Nice introduction, I'm sure your compatriots would be proud of you.

Yes, you keep the "tadpole" designation for the first ten posts. After ten like this one, you move up to "insufferable wanker."

If you come from the newsgroup world you probably come expecting to get flamed regularly. It isn't that way here. In this the Getting Started forum it's rare to see someone have a shot put on them. There are other forums on this site where you are a little more likely to see that sort of thing, but there's a general agreement here that folks want to welcome new people to the game and all questions should be answered politely and thoughtfully. I can assure you Compucache was not intentionally flaming you.

If your reaction wasn't just an understandable knee-jerk response to a life in newsgroups, I assume it goes without saying if you continue remarks like "Yanks make me puke" you probably won't get a lot of support here.

The answer to your question is, after 10 posts in these forums it changes from tadpole to geocacher, but if you become a premium/paying member you can change it to anything you want immediately.

right the top post of the forum index is an area of IMPORTANT  TOPICS -

Don't call me a yank I'm from the shore that does not make me fat.

Yes, you keep the "tadpole" designation for the first ten posts. After ten like this one, you move up to "insufferable wanker."

It's pretty obvious he's already moved on to the second category. ;)

It's pretty obvious he's already moved on to the second category. :rolleyes:

Now I remember what that whole Declaration of Independence thingy was all about... :blink:

Auntie - you are just too much !!!

my wife came running cuz she though I hurt myself I was howling so loud -

talk about LOL LMAO and ROTF etc ...

I was literally howling - stay down lady !! looked you up - RI huh! one of the bosses where I work is from RI - he's fiesty too! You sound like a lady I wanna meet!

you made my day for the rest of the week!

For the rest of you - thanks for backing my play -

believe it or not I did not get ticked off - like I said in my note to him -

I hope he finds his answers - while I did not take the time to search all his questions I believe they are all answered in there somewhere.

What I think is interesting, if in fact he/she is from the U.K., that he/she wouldn't be able to read this forum if it were not for us "Yanks".  Cuz I do believe that they would be speaking German if not for us in the U.S.

Ken

if you go to his profile, he has only one cache found and it is in the UK - the assumption is that is where is lives.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...99-102b69fae4b0

Edited by CompuCash

If you post all you want, you might end up like me :rolleyes:

I think he means "vastly misunderstood"

Thorin

I'm new to this so I'm a tadpole.
Welcome to the sport!
How do I progress?
You post to the forums
I've seen it said that 10 posts are needed. Are these posts on here, or caches found?
Correct it's posts (ie: forum posts) not finds.
What do you move up to next
Geocacher
and after that what? And how?
Post count
Is the info listed anywhere?
Yes.

Further it seems you haven't read all the information that people have pointed you to (though you have decided to start calling people "smart arse" and "fat yank" when they suggest your read all the newbie centric info) because you would have noticed:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Thorin

Edited by thorin

SANDLIZARD REVISITED

:blink: Excellent restraint, CC. :rolleyes:

Thank you to Thorin both for definitively answering the question and for quoting the applicable Forum Guidelines. As the question's been answered and the topic has gone too far down the hill atop which the "Getting Started" forum sits, I am closing it. The original poster has used up his "newbie's free pass."