Genesis Crashes.

ClayJar

Not to sound like a party pooper, but should this discussion be held in the Off Topic forum?

At least ClayJar posted the coords, so I say NO to that, it belongs.

I noticed in a helicopter, the pilot pressing buttons like crazy on a Garmin GPS, mounted to the top of the dashboard of the copter, I thought that was interesting.

Edited in:

Looked like the Black Hawk Helicopter was FTF to that crashed cache.

It looked real bad, from a closeup view. So broken up that the Solar Particle science experiment may have been a complete loss.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Trying desparately to keep it Geocaching related

I can see the virtual cache submissions hitting the fan:

======================

4.gif

Crash Site

by NASA

N 40° 07.667 W 113° 30.967

UTM: 12T E 285614 N 4444974

or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

Difficulty: staryellow.gifstaryellow.gifstaryellow.gifstaryellow.gifstaryellow.gifhalfstaryellow.gif Terrain: stargreen.gifstargreen.gifhalfstargreen.gif

This virtual will take you to the location where some solar radiated atoms hit the ground on September 8, 2004.  To log the find, collect some of the atoms and bring them to NASA.

Edited by Markwell

======================

4.gif

Crash Site

by NASA

Difficulty: staryellow.gifstaryellow.gifstaryellow.gifstaryellow.gifstaryellow.gifhalfstaryellow.gif Terrain: stargreen.gifstargreen.gifhalfstargreen.gif

This virtual will take you to the location where some solar radiated atoms hit the ground on September 8, 2004.  To log the find, collect some of the atoms and bring them to NASA.

ROFLMAO

I think it would have the "wow" that they are looking for. We would make the trip to check it out. ;)

Well if that doesn't pass the WOW! factor criteria test then nothing will! ;)

I also found it interesting that the helicopter pilots were Hollywood stunt pilots, not military top guns! :D NASA thought that they already had the needed experience in this type of flight pattern. They had worked on XXX, and Dante's Peak with the sky surfers, and most recently Batman 4. :lol:

Edited by wimseyguy

======================

Crash Site

by NASA

;)September 8 by SpaceChaser

Yeah! FTF! I had my buddy in the helicopter snap a picture for proof of visit, since I couldn't get at any of the solar atoms. Thanks for bringing me to the neat location.

top.8.genesis.jpg

======================

4.gif

Crash Site

by NASA

Well, since those coords are square in the middle of Dugway Proving Grounds, the terrain needs to be 5 stars for special equipment (biochemical weapons suit and bulletproof vest) required. ;)

I suppose it might be hard to find a local maintainer. I would think the Deseret Test Center doesn't gather too many squatters.

EDIT:

Interesting Mopar - the Streets and Trips maps show Dugway to the east and that this is Deseret Testing Center.

But that's why I listed the difficulty as 5.5 stars...

I'll give you the extra stars for terrain, but the forum board said I max'ed out on my images for that post. ;)

Edited by Markwell

I've cached in the area near the impact site. It is remote, but not too bad, even in a car - as long as you stay on the gravel roads. Four wheel drive, or at least high clearance, is essential if you venture very far from the maintained road.

Another great vantage point to observe the landing would have been the second closest cache, Black Rock Station. It has an elevated and unobstructed view of the area across an expansive mud flat.

For those thinking an expedition out there is in order, be aware the "landing" occurred well within the restricted borders of the Dugway Proving Grounds. There is likely unexploded ordnance in the area and armed patrols. I found bomb shrapnel off the range while seeking the N40W113 confluence cache.

The closest anyone could likely get in a car is about 12 miles west of the impact site. The road, which follows the original Pony Express route, is graded, but rough and passes through the tiny community of Callao and crosses over to Gold Hill, a ghost town.

The Pony Express caches in the area are fun to do and would be worth the excursion. As fall approaches, the temperatures out there will be quite pleasant. There are often antelope and wild horses to be seen. Just make sure you are prepared to travel in a remote desert area!

Edited by Huaso

On Ebay:

Solar Wind Atoms from Utah - Genesis Mission

Have your very own bottle of solar wind atoms. The stunt helicopter pilots couldn't catch them but we did. Once they crashed, they ended up in the jetstream and and we found them. The winning bidders will get their very own bottle of solar wind atoms. The atoms will be sent in a cushioned container so they will be intact when they arrive at your house.

Happy Bidding.

Mapsend shows it in the southern Great Salt Lake Desert, about .38 miles north of a major unnamed road.

I believe the "major unnamed road" was originally a portion of the old Lincoln Highway. This section was later routed northward due to certain political issues and to avoid the desert as much as possible. This portion is now off-limits to civilians on the Dugway Range. The difficulty star count is still too low!

Edited by Huaso

======================

4.gif

Crash Site

by NASA

ROFLMAO

I think it would have the "wow" that they are looking for. We would make the trip to check it out. :huh:

The wow factor would be how your skin glows after you collect the particles.

On Ebay:

Solar Wind Atoms from Utah - Genesis Mission

Have your very own bottle of solar wind atoms.  The stunt helicopter pilots couldn't catch them but we did.  Once they crashed, they ended up in the jetstream and and we found them.  The winning bidders will get their very own bottle of solar wind atoms. The atoms will be sent in a cushioned container so they will be intact when they arrive at your house.

Happy Bidding.

Questions from other buyers

Q: Hey what color are they? Just wanted to know what type of bottle they are in too before I bid. You should have used the BUY NOW feature so those won't...more answered on: Sep-09-04

A: well to the human eye, they are invisible, but upon closer inspection they look to be tie-died. They will come shipped in a sealed mason jar.

Ask seller a question

:huh:

CAche already archived, darn it.  :huh:

:huh::(B)

I believe that it was archieved, as it should be, because it was muggled. The NASA muggles took it. Now, given that this is started as a geek hobby, were any of the NASA Engineers on the recovery team Cachers?

:huh::(B)

Cache Well

Edit: Read this with a grin. If you can't see the humor in this, sorry.

Again Cache Well

Edited by LordSaw

Good news, I just recovered the 30 cal. can from the crash site. Seems the chopper pilot was "only" after the "black box" not the green one. I'll be posting my log soon. BTW: I also recovered many missing tb's, too. :huh: Now to go log them, as grabbed, after three long years away from home as MIA ! :huh: SF1

Edited by strikeforce1

Friend of mine was in the security Blackhawk that was following the Hook helos, he took lots of photos, let me see if I can dig them up.

Vertigo flight waiting for mission go time

Vertigo_flight_awaitng_launch_time.jpg

Media seting up

The_media.jpg

The NASA briefing area

NASA_briefing_setup.jpg

In formation with Vertigo flight

In_close_with_Vertigo_flight.jpg

Vertigo and South Coast

Vertigo_and_South_Town.jpg

Vertigo flight from Oscars chickenpit

Vertigo_flight_from_Oscars_cockpit.jpg