My First Find An Accident

CapnJackSparrow

Hello to all my new friends. I'd like to explain how I got here by posting the log entry on my first find as follows:

My friends and I were exploring GHSP and found your cache totally by accident. Between the three of us we have about 90 years of camping and hiking experience and none of us had ever heard of geocaching. Now, two days later, I am a payed member of geocaching.com and already bought my first GPS. Needless to say we were very impressed with the game and excited to start playing. We weren't expecting to find treasure that day so we had very little to leave. I did have a credit card size magnifying glass in my wallet, so I left that and we took a piece of paper to write down the web address and signed the log book. We also hid the cache a little better than we found it to avoid someone else stumbling across it by accident.

So that's how I got hooked already! Now the newbie questions start. ;)

On the advice of a trusted friend and charter boat captain, I bought a Magellan SporTrak Map which came with the MapSend Topo CD, carrying case, PC cord, wrist strap, and belt clip for $199.00. Since I've been reading the posts, I have seen a lot of negative things beeing said about the SporTrak. Was this a good buy?

Thank you in advance for your help!

CapnJack

On the advice of a trusted friend and charter boat captain, I bought a Magellan SporTrak Map which came with the MapSend Topo CD, carrying case, PC cord, wrist strap, and belt clip for $199.00. Since I've been reading the posts, I have seen a lot of negative things beeing said about the SporTrak. Was this a good buy?

You’ve stepped into an area of controversy. From what I’ve seen brand loyalty is much like a religion or choice of spouse to many. People lose perspective.

I have a SporTrack Pro. It’s the only unit I’ve ever owned so I have nothing to compare it to. Other than the fact that the menus are anti-intuitive and the manual is terrible, I’ve been satisfied with the performance.

On tests I’ve done it is very accurate, but you have to give it time to settle in after you arrive at the target location – maybe as much as 5 minutes. I don’t know if Garmen units have this settling time or not. Tree cover creates a problem for GPSrs. I chose the SporTrack after reading many articles. On balance they suggested the SporTrack does a better job in such adverse conditions. But, all in all modern units all perform about the same -- after that it’s bells and whistles that make the difference in price.

Here's a geocaching forum devoted to GPS gadgets http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

Edited by Thot

Welcome to the game/addiction/sport. One thing you will quickly learn is that the “what GPS is a good one” is like asking if Ford or Chevy builds a better truck. There are a variety of opinions on both sides.

The good news is, The GPS unit you purchased will serve you just fine for geocaching, hiking, and for a variety of other outdoor activities. The one thing I would keep my eyes on is the “stress cracks” that can show-up near all of the screws that connect both halves of the case. “IF” you are interested in reading more about the cracks, you can readThis thread.

Another thing you will notice is that it is a very hard call to make when finding a cache that we, the seekers, think is too out in the open. The hider may have hidden it just like that for a reason. I would e-mail the cache owner and describe how you re-hid the cache and why, and ask if that was the right thing to do. He/she may e-mail you back and ask you to change it back the way you found it. At the time you and your friends “stumbled” upon your first cache, none of you were aware of the “guidelines” of Geocaching, one of which is re-hide the cache just as you found it. I am sure no harm will come from this, but if it goes unmentioned to the owner, it is possible that others will not find the cache as described, then the owner will have to figure out why all the DNF’s are being logged.

edited to fix link

Edited by Cherokeecacher
Another thing you will notice is that it is a very hard call to make when finding a cache that we, the seekers, think is too out in the open. The hider may have hidden it just like that for a reason.

Thank you for such quik replies and for the helpful links.

As for rehiding the cache, I do understand your concern, but I assure you we did not move it or overly obscure it in any way. All we did was put a small piece of greenery in front of it so it was LESS visable from the main trail in the park. ;)

However, onyour advice I will contact the owner and explain the situation

Edited by CapnJackSparrow
Hello to all my new friends.

Now, two days later, I am a payed member of geocaching.com and already bought my first GPS.  We also hid the cache a little better than we found it to avoid someone else stumbling across it by accident.

So that's how I got hooked already! Now the newbie questions start. :D

Was this a good buy?

Thank you in advance for your help!

CapnJack

First: Congrads, on joining the Addiction ;)

Second: Thank you for finding the cache and not stealing it - we would have to call you a "muggler" then. :lol:

Third: Thanks for putting it back and hiding it better! :lol:

Fourth: Congrads again, on becoming a paying member! :lol:

Fifth: Remember no question is to dumb, just come and ask here, like you did, most will be more than willing to help!

Now for your question.......

You can check the info on one of these pages , gpsinformation.net orWhich GPS

I think it's a good purchase, though I'm a Garmin Man myself.

This doesb't mean Magellans are bad. As long as it has the ablility to get you in and out of an area, and lead you to a cache. That's what's important! All the bells and whistles are nice extras. SF1

...I have a SporTrack Pro. It’s the only unit I’ve ever owned so I have nothing to compare it to. Other than the fact that the menus are anti-intuitive and the manual is terrible, I’ve been satisfied with the performance. ..

All GPS units have thier quirks.

Both Garmin and Magellan have crappy manuals. The Sport Track series has great antaneas but low resolution screens. Garmin seems to have easier menues and that is a general concencus though some Magellan owners (not Thot though) will say otherwise. Easier or not you can customize and do anything you want to do with that Magellan.

Yours will lead you to many a cache find. It will certainly last you long enough to where you will have a much better idea of what you want in a GPS when it's time to upgrade, or you may find that it works good enough and until you lose it, or break it. The only issue with the Sport Tracks that is universal is the case can crack where it's screwed together. Watch for that. It's covered under warrantee.

The only issue with the Sport Tracks that is universal is the case can crack where it's screwed together.  Watch for that.  It's covered under warrantee.

You are the second person to raise that concern. I will watch for that ! Right now though I am babying my new toy so bad it couldn't crack in a hurricane. ;)

You are too funny :D and have a great attitude :lol: Welcome to the sport.

Garmin seems to have easier menues and that is a general concencus though some Magellan owners (not Thot though) will say otherwise. 

Regarding the menus. I find the menu changes in the latest SporTrack Pro firmware update to be a significant step backward. I thought the original menus were bad but, in my opinion, the newest menus are even less intuitive and much clumsier. They added unnecessary new levels so you have to go deeper into the menus to get where you’re going and they added new menus that force you to do more toggling to reach the menu you’re after. If I could change back to the previous firmware I would. Please don’t flame me, it’s just my opinion.

Easier or not you can customize and do anything you want to do with that Magellan.

I do really like the generous way you can customize the screens. After the pain of figuring out how you can make the screens show just what’s useful for your personality. I don’t know if the Garmins provide for this rather extensive tailoring.

Edited by Thot

Thank you all for the very useful information and the very warm welcome. I'm sure I am going to enjoy my new "addiction" very much. I see that asking about who's GPSr is better is a very newbie question. One which I will not be asking again. I will check out all the links you sent and I'm sure all my ????'s will be answered there. Thank you again...I'ts off to work now. ;)

CapnJack

Mine came with the latest version of Firmware available so I don't know what the menus used to be like, but I did notice the extensive number of options in the menu. (Kind of scarry at first  ;) )

I've edited my post to say "I really like the generous way you can customize the screens" I wish you could customize the menus. Maybe I could make them logical to me in the field. As it is if something goes wrong with the displays in the field I have to go home and struggle to figure out how to correct it, like I had to do yesterday.

It isn't obvious from the menus but you can customize virtually every screen. For example, I use the map screen when going for a cache, and I like the bearing and distance from the cache displayed at the bottom. This lets me see where it is relative to me and how far I am from it. Occasionally, due to obstructions, I use the bearing to point me to the cache when I can't move fast enough for the unit to point me to it. I also customize the map screen display itself so the arrow always points in the direction I'm moving -- the default where it follows North is confusing for me. I also turn off other distracting stuff and set it to provide a line pointing directly to the cache. Just to make thing easy and obvious these last changes are done on a different menu in and different area reached in a different way.

BTW, whoever said the resolution of the screen is poor is right. The contrast is also too low, making it hard for my old eyes to read unless held in just the right position in good light. Again, I've never used a Garmin, and I suspect I could pick at them too if I used one.

Edited by Thot
;) New to sport - have a little eTrex yellow but it has got me to 3 finds so far. I guess i must agree that any GPS that gets you there is fine.

this is SOOOOO true. I am from the "Magellan camp", but just bought an eTrex "yellow", at an incredable price, to have as a backup. I cached with it this past Saturday and it did the job just fine. Now we, Cherokeecacher, own 1 Legand, 1 Yellow eTrex, and My Meridian Gold. Yup, I definatly live in a house devided.

If it gets you to a cache, it works just fine. :D

Ahoy there Cap'n. Welcome to the addiction; your life will never be the same. You will be amazed at how many caches you were just walking right past before you discovered our wonderful fun and quirky corner of the universe. :D

A special Atta Boy for becoming a paying member so quickly too! :lol:;):lol:

As you have already seen the Maggie/Garmin divide is as big as Ford/Chevy. Remember that the accuracy of our handheld units is only about 20' on a good day. So if you are at the 20' max and the hider was too then you could have a search radius of 40+ feet. Just remember that and you will find them more than not. Come back to the forums often with more questions, opinions and even silly stuff (since you paid up you can even visit the OT forum :lol: )

Besides-it's more about the experience of the hunt than the find. Do a search on the forums for DNF logs, you'll see what I mean. :lol:

PS what about the other two guys; did they join up too?

I had a Map and returned it for a Pro - the map does not have enought memory to upload maps into it. I wanted to be able to upload my city maps. The older Map Send software is very inaccurate in certain areas - you should find out about yours. San Francisco is several blocks off - now THAT will get you really lost in SF. The newer MS Direct uses a different map base. Their support freely admits the maps are bad for some areas.

I have had mine since May and see no cracks.

A friend has a Garmin - I can't read his dinky screen with small text. I agree the menu system is odd but once you get used to it, it is ok. You might need to adjust the contrast if you have trouble reading the screen.

And ya - these days I think all manuals suck so what can you do? (this from one who writes manuals for users, and get complaints they are too long - ya just can't win!)

You can customize the screens to put nearly any of the available paramers you want on them.

I like the buttons on the bottom - the Garmin forces you to reach across the screen to push them - or use two hands - hard when you are carying something (like your stick - or walk with a cane as I do)

I think the Sportraks are very accurate - mine has taken me to within a few feet of many caches - now I just have to learn to believe it when it does!

I'm from the Garmin camp, but I know that many a cacher would trade you. It is a plenty good enough unit. You'll have a lot of fun. You'll learn what features you would rather have, and then there's a garage sale on this site where you'll be amazed what it is worth second-hand.

Another thing you will notice is that it is a very hard call to make when finding a cache that we, the seekers, think is too out in the open. The hider may have hidden it just like that for a reason. I would e-mail the cache owner and describe how you re-hid the cache and why, and ask if that was the right thing to do. He/she may e-mail you back and ask you to change it back the way you found it. At the time you and your friends “stumbled” upon your first cache, none of you were aware of the “guidelines” of Geocaching, one of which is re-hide the cache just as you found it. I am sure no harm will come from this, but if it goes unmentioned to the owner, it is possible that others will not find the cache as described, then the owner will have to figure out why all the DNF’s are being logged.

I have one cache like that. People seem to think I wasn't in my right mind. Last time I checked, it was left setting up and partly exposed...like that is what I wanted. One time it was moved about 15 feet to a new location in a larger pile of wood. I guess I wanted to hide it better and farther down the hill. It's good that you really didn't change anything, only helped to cover it better. Welcome. ;)