Newest Wap Interface

Jeremy

I found the answer to my own question and it can pertain to anyone using a Palm OS with web browser. The issue was a corrupt Palm Blazer file called "web cookies". A hard reset will fix it, sometimes. In my case, I had to use a freeware utility called FileZ v6.2. See http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml or Google "FileZ". I used it to locate and delete the cookie file remnants (the Palm OS was not able to see the file without the utility) and then delete it. Hope this helps others. PK

Just for fun I tried it on my Palm Tungsten E2 and it brought up the website and it let me log in, but would not recognize any choice but the travel bug option. I was using the wifi card because I was getting a data error on my Motorola (at&t problem, not yours). Hey PK, would this file work for this problem as well? I appreciate any info you can send my way.

Now it is working! Thanks!

Not for me, unfortunately :) . I still get the Invalid Viewstate error when logging in on my Nokia 6101.

However, the Find by Coordinates will now let me enter -ve coords.

Numbers only coordinate entry bug: fixed. But I also still get the Viewstate Error when logging in with my Nokia 3110.

As a workaround I found out that I actually am logged in after the Vievstate Error, if I go back to wap.geocaching.com via a bookmark!

If I try to look at a travelbug (or coin) thru a cache listing I'll get a Viewstate Error for which I haven't fond any workaround.

Numbers only coordinate entry bug: fixed. But I also still get the Viewstate Error when logging in with my Nokia 3110.

As a workaround I found out that I actually am logged in after the Vievstate Error, if I go back to wap.geocaching.com via a bookmark!

OMG - I didn't realise the error message was just a red-herring! :) . I find still that I'm logged in when I back out to the main menu. Great! - Thanks lq :santa:

Cheers, M@

In my view, a MAJOR fault with the WAP site is its inability to display additional waypoints on a cache. For instance I tried to do this muli cache recently:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC153AC

However since all of the clues are described in the additional waypoints grid, all I could see was the description of the location. I try to do paperless geocaching wherever possible.

A ruined day's geocaching! :-(

I would like to see the links on the WAP interface respond to the number keys again, or be full sized clickable links, such as they were before the update a few months ago. Is there any way to do this? I have to click on a touchscreen in a very very tiny area to hit one number, instead of just hitting the number key, or clicking on the entire name for the link (a much bigger target) - this is on a Treo 755p.

i really wish GC.COM would undo what every they did... what worked for me now dont.

2nbx8g8.jpg

Same message a three different phones from three different brands. It worked before.

For what it's worth, I get this same error on my Samsung Propel on the AT&T 3G network.

i really wish GC.COM would undo what every they did... what worked for me now dont.

2nbx8g8.jpg

Same message a three different phones from three different brands. It worked before.

For what it's worth, I get this same error on my Samsung Propel on the AT&T 3G network.

Its working fine on my Samsung Instinct in Canada on Bell's network.

This is really cool. Tried it out in the field last week and it's much more efficient that the traditional "www' URL. Plus since it's all text based and formatted for cellular the phone battery shouldn't drain as quickly. Using it with a Verizon LG ENv (9900). Very pleased to see this.

Edited by fsafranek

Is there any way I can shotcut the wap interface so I don't have to type in the gc code for each cache I want to log.

The setting is:

- caches exported from gsak to phone (N95)

- using viewranger to view and track the caches.

I want to customize my POI details with a link [Log this cache on wap] leading directly to the "Record log for..."-page.

Now it's completely broken.

1. can't view a cache (You must be logged in, and also a geocaching.com subscriber to view this cache.)
  2. can't find caches (You entered an incorrect value, please try again.)
  3. can't log a cache (Server Error in '/' Application.)
  4. can't lookup TravelBugs (You entered an incorrect tracking number. Please try again.)

(first error regardless if I'm logged in or not)

...and don't even bother to speculate that I gave invalid input, I didn't!

1. can't view a cache (You must be logged in, and also a geocaching.com subscriber to view this cache.)
  4. can't lookup TravelBugs (You entered an incorrect tracking number. Please try again.)

Seeing that as well this morning. :rolleyes:

Seeing that as well this morning. :laughing:

Totally dead for me now. Same errors as above. I am beginning to wonder if the log in is actually taking place even though the log out option is there. Sure wish I could get this sorted out. The temp might even get above freezing this weekend. But then again it might snow again.

When we first activated our new Dare a week ago it purred like a kitten, then several day ago it went belly-up. I could access the site but once a zip code was entered we received a 500 - Internal Server Error message. I was very frustrated. Now this morning it seems to be up and running again, though I haven't checked completely.

Not sure what or who fixed it, but THANK YOU!

I found the answer to my own question and it can pertain to anyone using a Palm OS with web browser. The issue was a corrupt Palm Blazer file called "web cookies". A hard reset will fix it, sometimes. In my case, I had to use a freeware utility called FileZ v6.2. See http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml or Google "FileZ". I used it to locate and delete the cookie file remnants (the Palm OS was not able to see the file without the utility) and then delete it. Hope this helps others. PK

Thanks! That fixed the problem with my Centro. The file was named "Cookie Data", rather than "web cookies", though.

Edited by Prime Suspect

If you're looking for an alternative to the WAP interface, take a look a look at BCaching.com. The mobile view is xhtml (not wap) but it is optimized for mobile browsers and should work on most newer phones. It is only for geocaching.com premium members though since it requires the use of pocket queries. Field notes can be exported and uploaded as geocaching field notes.

On the blog you can read a comparison between bcaching and geocaching wap site.

Hi,

I am greatly impressed by the team work and i appreciate the author's work. Well done team.

Agreed. I've used it for everything but logging a find. So much quicker than the WWW interface on a cell phone. Well done.

It would be keen if the numeric values for Difficulty, Terrain, and Size were also listed on the initial info page for a cache. I noticed that Difficulty and Terrian or on the search by coordinates/zip page.

I use WAP frequently. It is great for doing some unplanned caching. I also use it when I FTF a cache at 5am. I simply log "FTF WAP" and then edit the log when I get home an hour or two later. That way, someone waking up at 6am, doesn't unnecessarily run out to be FTF after I have already paper logged it. They can see on the website that I found it and logged in from the field. A little caching courtesy based on my own experience of going out of my way to FTF only to find out that it was found hours ago by three people already.

Okay, my gripe about WAP. When searching, I wish, since you have to enter coordinates in the Decimal Degree DD format, that the cache info front page displayed DD as well. This could be in addition to the normal Degree Decimal Minutes DM that are normally displayed. this would save me the extra steps of changing the unit settings on my GPSr.

I wish there was a was a way to search caches closest to a cache by simply entering the GCxxxx or on the cache page there was a button for closest caches (just like on geocaching.com cache pages). this would also save me steps since I am usually using WAPing while standing over the cache that I just found. it would save me the steps of converting and entering coordinates.

Searching near existing caches, IMHO, would be far more useful than ZIP searches. I hardly ever know the ZIP of the location I am in. The places in this country/world that I do know the ZIP code are usually close to home and I already have those caches in my GPSr. In addition, ZIP search results are centered around some unknown loaction - the geographic center of that zip? the post office? which might be useful if I just so happen to be standing in front of the local Post Office

Noticed a small problem. You do not need to be logged in to see the coordinates so someone could bypass the requirement to sign up in order to view caches.

Out in the field I saw that as a plus.

You do however, have to be logged in before you can post a cache or trackable find.

While I like the wap interface for its clean and orderly nature, it seems pretty tough to navigate to get some seminal information. Now, I GC with my Blackberry 8900, which can handle the main site just fine, but I would move over to the wap site for the upload speed and not having to zoom the in to read it, if I could actually download GPX or LOC indicators for Cacheberry.

I also have to note, that not being able to send them OTA to blackberries is a major crime, too. Heck there are many more caching capable phones than G phones and I phones.

While I like the wap interface for its clean and orderly nature, it seems pretty tough to navigate to get some seminal information. Now, I GC with my Blackberry 8900, which can handle the main site just fine, but I would move over to the wap site for the upload speed and not having to zoom the in to read it, if I could actually download GPX or LOC indicators for Cacheberry.

I, too, would like to be able to download the GPX info file via the WAP site. Please, please, PLEASE?! :laughing:

I tested this on my own cell phone and was able to enter a log. check it out at

http://wap.geocaching.com

This will be the permanent location for the WAP interface. You can also log caches with a web browser if you want to bypass all the web pages on geocaching.com

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

We havn't used our cell for awhile for geocaching because we had internet access. Now we cant log on to any of the geocaching sites using our cell. we are on att medianet using a motorola 551. Help please

This will be the permanent location for the WAP interface. You can also log caches with a web browser if you want to bypass all the web pages on geocaching.com

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

We havn't used our cell for awhile for geocaching because we had internet access. Now we cant log on to any of the geocaching sites using our cell. we are on att medianet using a motorola 551. Help please

I can get the site on the phone but it will not let me login. This is for all the geocaching sites It will not let me log in. On geocaching.com the place for logging in is there but there is no place to enter username or password?

I wish, since you have to enter coordinates in the Decimal Degree DD format
You can enter coordinates as dd mm.mmm. If you're in the US, or anywhere else west of the Prime Meridian, remember the minus sign before the longitude: -dd mm.mmm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been messing with my unit setting on my GPSr for a long time when I used wap. That was my biggest problem with using the wap, but now that is solved!

Now if they could make the opening screen a little more user friendly it would be better, especially with the smart phones where I have to click the little number on the left side just to start my search.

I can get the site on the phone but it will not let me login. This is for all the geocaching sites It will not let me log in. On geocaching.com the place for logging in is there but there is no place to enter username or password?

That's a "me too". I have an old-ish Sony Ericsson K750i and I can access the front page of wap.geocaching.com But if I try to log in (which I would want to do to do anything useful!) all I get is a blank screen. Any help gratefully received!

Matt

Hello

I've tested it with my Windows Mobile Device, and it worked well.

But I have a question:

I'm missing the possibility to download gpx-files to my ppc using the wap-interface. I can do it with the normal homepage, but this is quite difficult to navigate with the small display, and also very slow.

Doing this with the wap-site would be great, cause when I'm not at home I could quickly download some gpx and find the caches using my standard ppc-software, witch works with gpx-files (PathAway, cause I have a lot of maps).

Kind regards, iudi

Hello

I've tested it with my Windows Mobile Device, and it worked well.

But I have a question:

I'm missing the possibility to download gpx-files to my ppc using the wap-interface. I can do it with the normal homepage, but this is quite difficult to navigate with the small display, and also very slow.

Doing this with the wap-site would be great, cause when I'm not at home I could quickly download some gpx and find the caches using my standard ppc-software, witch works with gpx-files (PathAway, cause I have a lot of maps).

Kind regards, iudi

Also wanted here :-)

I've spent the last 4 years and 10 months checking this thread out on a weekly basis hoping to read that there was an improved mobile version of the site in the pipeline. I think that I will now give up.

I know what you mean. Depressing isn't it. :ph34r:

Have you tried GCzII? I find it excellent for Windows Mobile.

I don't think a lot of the WM version of live.geocaching.com yet, but it will hopefully improve.

I've spent the last 4 years and 10 months checking this thread out on a weekly basis hoping to read that there was an improved mobile version of the site in the pipeline. I think that I will now give up.

Try http://live.geocaching.com.

Works fine on my N95 8GB. In my home country I have got a data flat rate and outside the home country you can make maps on the pc and transfer them to the cell phone before you go out. Then the data stream is very small for there are only some cache descriptions to be downloaded.

Noticed a small problem. You do not need to be logged in to see the coordinates so someone could bypass the requirement to sign up in order to view caches.

Not really much of a difference than going to garmin.com and clicking on their geocaching link. You still have to log in to GC.com to log your find, but the coords are easy to get.

MYater