Newest Wap Interface

Jeremy

Is there a way to enter your LOGIN info via the URL?

For those of us with a phones that won't keep COOKIES, it would be great to save a link and be able to choose it.... EX: www.geocaching.com/login.asp?joeblow-mypassword of pass it the login and only enter the password when prompted....

AMEN to that!

But I believe my phone DOES accept cookies and using my WAP enabled phone, I do not find it necessary to log into any site on a regular basis (United Airlines, Google, Yahoo, and a whole host of others). All of them remember me well. The ONLY site I use that insists on a new login about once every hour if idle is Groundspeak's WAP site.

So my #1 request would be to properly utilize cookies where possible. This frequent login business on an otherwise very useful "in field" site is for the birds!

My #2 request to make the site more useful in the field would be to make the use of decimal degrees optional when entering a coordinate cache search. Even Google Earth knows what "N40 11.356 W105 3.886" means. Permitting a version of degrees/decimal minutes would beat the heck out of always having to approximate a conversion to decimal degrees without a calculator. Yes, I can get it in the ballpark, but in cache rich areas, a small miss brings up pages of ones I don't want first. Yes, I know that Groundspeak's internal database is in decimal degrees, but that's not how logs are posted, and is not the coordinate system most of us use on a daily basis. Why here, then?

------------

Edit: It appears in reading just a few posts further that at least a version of the above is in place, but there was no way of knowing the format from any online docs I've seen for the WAP interface. I'd still love to avoid the "-" and use a "W" (for reasons peculiar to my phone, and probably others), but if I can get the above mentioned methods to work, I'll be far happier...

Edit 2: It doesn't work for me without extra care.

I have carefully submitted (without the quotes) "40 11.777" "-105 3.867" and the first cache at the top of the search list is GCGTCH at N40 15.301 W105 36.904.

This isn't helpful, folks. Any leading zeros on the decimal minutes MUST be included. It requires "-105 03.867" (note the leading zero) in order to bring up proper information. That's another thing to add to the WAP user interface page, wherever it is! If someone can point me to a UI doc somewhere, that would be really helpful. If there isn't one, the WAP site is too useful to not be well worth explaining fully and "cleaning up" just a little bit.

------------

Last, and #3 in the list -- and while peculiar, only a nit -- the menuing system itself is a bit counterintuitive. In particular, it would be nice to avoid the intermediate two entry screens to "OK" a request, and the flow in general isn't what one would expect.

Edited by ecanderson

:rolleyes: How long is the delay in updating wap.geocaching.com? I have noticed a couple of times that a log posted on geocaching.com does not immediately show up on wap.geocaching.com. I thought it might be cached page, but I refreshed the log page to see if that would solve the issue. The new logs did not appear after the refresh.

I use a Cingular 8125 WM5.

I use WAP.geocaching.com all the time. I love the speed and functionality that allows me to log caches and TB's in real time in the wild. I've found WAP to be very useful caching in China, Kuwait, UAE, Borneo... maybe other places. Sure saves on the data charges. Thanks so much.

1. The easy change that would really save me many trips to the main wwww site would be adding container size to the cache page. Knowing what you are looking for really helps a lot. Just the size, no need for the word container.

2. D/T numbers written as D2T3.5 would be interesting but not really that useful as peoples ideas of D/T vary a lot.

3. Being able to hit a "Nearest Caches" choice right after logging a cache would be the spectacular! I might never need download caches again at home. Just go from nearest to nearest all day long. As it is you have to go back, back, back or do another search with coords.

I will be trying out the 49 01.123 -122 12.456 way of entering coords I learned about reading here tonight. That will save resetting the GPS to decimal, taking a reading, and resetting the GPS back to normal = a couple minutes of playing around each search.

Anybody ever figure out a fix for the:

"System.formatException

Invalid Length for a Base-64 char array

Method: FromBase64String"

I get this when I tried it with my Verizon Razr v3m (apparently there is difference between the v3m and v3c). Can't seem to get beyond this problem.

I'm getting the same error message on my v3m also. :blink:

I would love to see an iPhone optimized version of geocaching.com

eh?!

Just tried to access the site with my iPhone.

I only get a "Server Application Unavailable" error.

I don't think we need an iPhone optimized version, just a general version suited for low-bandwidth mobile connections without all the ads, graphics, frames of the standard site would be good.

Maybe the wap site is something like this, I'll just have to wait for it to get available again.

Just tried to access the site with my iPhone.

I only get a "Server Application Unavailable" error.

I don't think we need an iPhone optimized version, just a general version suited for low-bandwidth mobile connections without all the ads, graphics, frames of the standard site would be good.

Maybe the wap site is something like this, I'll just have to wait for it to get available again.

Tried the site again, logged in and did some testing.

When entering a non-existing Geocache ID in the "View Cache" dialog I got the confusing error message "You must be logged in, and also a geocaching.com subscriber to view this cache."

To Erica & Drew: And now I also would like to see an iPhone optimized version, with much more features too.

Loading the regular www.geocaching.com site over GPRS is just unacceptably slow because it contains so much unneeded contents.

My log that starts with "[ b]#17[/b] [:o)] bla bla" ends up encryptet (the bla bla) on the wap page but not the normal page.

Wap: http://wap.geocaching.com/Default.aspx?__ufps=616978

Normal: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...10-fde3520c3e6f

Full log WAP page:

FOUND IT

[ b]#17[/b] [:o)] Qryfgrt rgg shaarg qverxg aäe zna xbyyne cå eägg fgäyyr (qhzzn Lnubb Zncf fbz ivfne sry cyngf). Cnat cå onen. Fcraqrenqr frqna pn 1.5 gvzzr (?) zrq qvbanrn yrgnaqrf ehag, ehag, öire, haqre, vaahgv nyyn zöwyvtn fgäyyra söe ngg uvggn fyhgpnpura. Gvyyfyhg, rsgre ra uvag cre gryrsba, uvggnf qra. Vatra ni bff söefgåe uhe iv ylpxnqrf zvffn qra aäe iv yrgng cerpvf oerivq syren tåatre! Oen tözzn, gnpx söe pnpura! [:)] Ybttra tnafxn shxgvt. [:(] [This entry was edited by ejanesten on Friday, May 23, 2008 at 8:38:16 AM.]

5/23/2008 12:00:00 PM by ejanesten

(Added a space between [ and b] to show the coding, there's no space in the real log)

To Erica & Drew: And now I also would like to see an iPhone optimized version, with much more features too.

Loading the regular www.geocaching.com site over GPRS is just unacceptably slow because it contains so much unneeded contents.

Haha, that's the spirit!

I'll do my best to create a mock up in Photoshop.

Hopefully, the Mobile Geocache page will be adaptive to work on all mobile devices too.

"System.formatException

I get this when I tried it with my Verizon Razr v3m (apparently there is difference between the v3m and v3c). Can't seem to get beyond this problem.

I'm getting the same problem with my Motorola SLVR L7C on Cellular South. Has anyone got a solution?

I'm using a Samsung BlackJack II on the AT&T network. When trying to access the WAP site, I get "403 Forbidden". I've read in an earlier post that the site works fine with the BlackJack. I get the same thing at the rtr.ca/geo site. Any ideas?

I tested this on my own cell phone and was able to enter a log. check it out at

http://wap.geocaching.com

This will be the permanent location for the WAP interface. You can also log caches with a web browser if you want to bypass all the web pages on geocaching.com

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

I have a sanyo katana for sprint and i can only search TB's link does not work for anything else

I'm using a Samsung BlackJack II on the AT&T network. When trying to access the WAP site, I get "403 Forbidden". I've read in an earlier post that the site works fine with the BlackJack. I get the same thing at the rtr.ca/geo site. Any ideas?

we are getting the same forbidden thing on blackjack 2, i rebooted the phone and now its giving me a 402 proxy error, did a refresh and it worked... /shrug

-----

works on iphone, just wish it would focus automatically instead of zooming into it.

Edited by kamic

I tested this on my own cell phone and was able to enter a log. check it out at

http://wap.geocaching.com

This will be the permanent location for the WAP interface. You can also log caches with a web browser if you want to bypass all the web pages on geocaching.com

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

I cannot select 'Find Caches' with my Nokia 6010; the other menu options work fine. My Cellular provider is Rogers.

I found the fix for my Nokia 6010 problem and decided to share it.

Select Services (from main menu) , Settings, Appearence settings. Change Scroll mode to "numeric keys" instead of arrow keys (default). Now "Find Caches" is accessed by pressing the number 6.

I still want the stupid cookies to work properly so I don't have to keep logging in every 30 minutes or so!

No other WAP service that I use that employs cookies has this problem!

Exactly. Fixing this authentication issue would be the number one improvement to the WAP interface for us. It is really annoying to lose long logs after the timeout hits you.

We have logged majority of our finds (nearly 1500 caches) with the WAP interface so far. Every now and then we have made multiple posts with the WAP interface, because after the first posting we have got a system error message, but it had been about rendering the "Your log has been submitted successfully" page not about the posting. In this case, there is no way how one could know if the posting went through or not but to go back to the WAP home page, search for the cache and read the logs. Many extra steps and many many minutes wasted when the bandwith is low. :laughing:

Edited by Murre&Mirre

I've found that the "WAP" site works fine for quick logging of Traditional Caches from my Motorola Q Smartphone, but...

If I do an EarthCache that requires posting a picture I can't upload a picture through either the "WAP" site ot the Geocaching.com, so I can't log it.

Would it be possible to add an "Upload Image" feature?

Additionally, when I've been logging and wanted to start a new line, using my "Carriage Return" seems to send the message, so I have to write one continuous paragraph (I admit, I haven't tried this again since the first "Oops!" premature "sends").

Wow I'm a bit slow but just tried it on my IPhone after the latest Iphone update and it works great using AT&T network. Thanks!

What I seem to have trouble with as do most w/o a pocket PC in the field is the container size - I use GSAK and both Magellan & Garmin uints - the one field that doesn't seem to ever work is container size - not even in the smart name field. This really is a problem of me learning how to use it I'm sure - but seems everyone has the same learning curve.

It would be sooo Coool if this cache page listing using WAP included container size - Terrain/Difficulty can be ubtained via the search - course if it were also included that would be supper too.

T/D/S ? 3/3/Micro (Hate looking in an area that should have an ammocan for a micro but it happens a lot).

Anyway no complaints it's much better than going to the web site as that is supper slow on G2 Iphone.

Thanks for all the hard work and efforts to make things much better!

I have tried the wap.geocaching.com link several times. It works well on my BlackBerry to view individual caches. I have wanted to enter coordinates to search for nearest caches, but I have not received satisfactory results from the search. It generally gives me a cache listing that is a mile or so off, but shows 0 miles. Has anyone else noticed this? I triple checked my coordinates and entered them properly as shown in the example.

I consider myself done with the WAP site now. It is far far too limiting and clumsy to use. I have started just visiting the full site with Opera Mini on my BlackBerry.

It may not be quite a speedy, but it is still pretty good over my 3g connection on my 8330 Curve. It should be enough to hold me over until there (hopefully) is an XHTML version of GC.com that is device aware.

Don't know about a "new" interface but I have been WAPPING for about a year now. I could be accused of cluttering up the data base I suppose but this is the way I work it.

a. WAP the site for info ONCE I know what the site is.

b. Read logs (which aren't always current) to verify the site is relatively active.

c. When found, post the time as 23:15, etc. Any buzz words for reminders. (or post a DNF if necessary).

d. Get home, review my logs on GC.com and post a new entry with full data, images, comments, etc. When it is accepted, I go back and delete the time placeholder.

That's it in a nutshell. My TomTom in the car has ALL geocaches shown as FOUND or TO BE FOUND. When TomTom alerts, I use the GC waypoint data to WAP what I need to know about the cache. TomTom currently has 23000 caches loaded; majority for TX but several routes up to CT from here as well.

Doug Eyre

DE_Cryptoman

Hewitt, TX

"System.formatException

I'm getting the same error message on my v3m also. :laughing:

Same on my Motorola V260. I can reach the login screen, but after entering username and password, it comes back with the same error message.

I'll suggest Cacheberry for the BlackBerry users in the group. You download your quaies to the blackberry and have more info in a nicer format. No you can't upload a log but to see the info you need to find a cache it is nice. links to google maps also.

Would add link but it owuld probably get removed. latke a guess at it and you will find it.

;)

It's been a few months since I've used the WAP interface on my mobile (Nokia 6101), and I notice that the main menu format has changed. I am no longer able to log into geocaching.com though! I get the following error:

Server Error in /
System.Web.UI.ViewStateException
Invalid viewstate. Client IP: 202.73.198.32 Port: 33489 User-Agent: Nokia6101/2.0 (04.90)
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
ViewState: /wEXAQUDX19QD2QPBhd9qxoP2sqIAgHCI969orowcTv1qyU9tmq1A98BuLA== Referer: Path: /default.aspx
Method:

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers, M@

Hi developers,

the recent changes to the WAP interface make it unusable for me. With the built in browser in my NOKIA 2630, I can't "find caches" any longer since it now allows me to enter numbers only in the coordinates field, no dots or blanks as before. So I am not able to insert coordinates any longer. Can you change this back, please? It worked perfectly before.

geowas

(I posted this in a separate topic two days ago, but found this pinned topic now, so I add it here as well.)

Hi developers,

the recent changes to the WAP interface make it unusable for me. With the built in browser in my NOKIA 2630, I can't "find caches" any longer since it now allows me to enter numbers only in the coordinates field, no dots or blanks as before. So I am not able to insert coordinates any longer. Can you change this back, please? It worked perfectly before.

Hi geowas - see this post above for a possible fix. You're lucky though - I can't even log in!

Cheers, M@

@tofska

Thanks, but I think this refers to some other problem. I can select the menu item, but I simply can't type in coordinates which requires dots and blanks. The input field mode is numbers only and there is no way to change this. Until late last week this was no problem. Any developer who can comment on this?

geowas

Suggestion for WAP mobile website

I put this request into the helpdesk of Geocaching.com and they said to post it here. It's a feature that would help and I don't think it would be too difficult to do.

Hello, I've been a Geocaching member since September of 2001. All though I may not have as many finds as some people I've been a loyal member and always will be. I love the new redesigned webiste and I use the wap/mobile website often. The wap/mobile website is very handy when on the trails but it's missing a few things:

1. The size of the cache

2. Difficulty of the cache

3. Terrain of the cache

Sometimes when I'm out and about I can find a cache near me but I don't know the three above. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a small micro cache but other times I'm in the mood to find a regular size cache. Do you think you can modify the wap/mobile to include the items above?

Thanks.

-GadgetAdam

I just found out about the new WAP interface, thanks!!

I use an AT&T (HTC) Tilt, via the AT&T network, and it works fast & great.

One thing I do miss, is the ability to search via cache name, instead of Waypoint number. Any chance of adding that sometime in the future?

Keep up the good work!

Jim

Hi developers,

geowas

With my Siemens M65 smartphone it's exactly the same, and I heard this as well about a Nokia 6233.

I would be very glad, if wap.geocaching.com would be changed back!

Mythenmetz

Hi developers,

geowas

(I posted this in a separate topic two days ago, but found this pinned topic now, so I add it here as well.)

I have also noticed this behavior on my Nokia 3110c :) ...not very useful to enter search coordinates rounded to the nearest full degree.

In addition to this, I also noticed that I can't log in. (As the entering of coordinates, also this used to work before on the very same phone.) An invalid user/pass combination gives a proper error message, but my valid combination results in a viewstate error:

Server Error in /
System.Web.UI.ViewStateException
Invalid viewstate...

@tofska

Thanks, but I think this refers to some other problem. I can select the menu item, but I simply can't type in coordinates which requires dots and blanks. The input field mode is numbers only and there is no way to change this. Until late last week this was no problem. Any developer who can comment on this?

geowas

This should be working again - please let us know if it is not. (we don't have the right phones to test here)

@tofska

geowas

This should be working again - please let us know if it is not. (we don't have the right phones to test here)

Thanks for the effort, but it's not working :laughing:

geowas

Anything logged with WAP the owner of the cache/bug does not get the Geomail ?? I only have a couple of caches and one bug, but I like to know when they have been found/moved . I can't imagine if I owned 50 caches & 20 bugs. I can check the site for the log but I don't have time to do this. I've come to rely on the owner Email notification ! Is there an easy fix for this ? I' m sure this WAP thing is becoming very popular very fast, which is cool, but I'm sure owners are still going to want there Geomail from a kindly cell user/finder to let them know if there cache has been eaten by an aardvark.

Edited by BrokenLug

@tofska

geowas

Thanks for the effort, but it's not working :laughing:

geowas

Now it is working! Thanks!

geowas

i continue to get this when i attempt to log in. this was not happing 6 months ago on the same phone

Server error in '/' application.

valuditeon viewstate mac failed. if this application is hosted by a web farm or cluster ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationgKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster..... it continues on for awhile.... including a paragraphs that starts with DESCRIPTION, EXEPTION DETAILS, SOURSE ERROR, STACK TRACE and VERSION INFORMATION