Newest Wap Interface

Jeremy

For all those that keep asking for a different form of coordinates other than decimal format it already can be done. Simply input a space where the degree symbol should be. i.e. 78 64.523 -34 12.619

Yes! Yes! Yes! Finally a solution to this! Thank you! Now if only the wap page said that. Can someone get that onto the wap page so that people stop coming here and asking for it?

"For all those that keep asking for a different form of coordinates other than decimal format it already can be done. Simply input a space where the degree symbol should be. i.e. 78 64.523 -34 12.619"

Hmmm...I still get that I have entered incorrect data...I typed in exactly this 78 64.523 -34 12.619...what am I doing wrong?

"For all those that keep asking for a different form of coordinates other than decimal format it already can be done. Simply input a space where the degree symbol should be. i.e. 78 64.523 -34 12.619"

Hmmm...I still get that I have entered incorrect data...I typed in exactly this 78 64.523 -34 12.619...what am I doing wrong?

You can input the coordinates that way. I asked this same question a while back and got the same advice.

The problem with the above coordinates is you cannot have 64.523.

Perhaps I'm being dense...from the WAP site if I enter...

Presto, I get a set of nearby caches.

If instead I follow the above instructions (simply input a space where the degree symbol should be) and input this...

40 09.783

105 06.459

I get "You entered an incorrect value, please try again." Am I doing something wrong? If so, WHAT am I doing wrong?

Perhaps I'm being dense...from the WAP site if I enter...

Presto, I get a set of nearby caches.

If instead I follow the above instructions (simply input a space where the degree symbol should be) and input this...

40 09.783

105 06.459

I get "You entered an incorrect value, please try again." Am I doing something wrong? If so, WHAT am I doing wrong?

You're leaving off the - sign. I made same mistake. It does matter though as leaving it off puts you somewhere in Northern China and I'm guessing there just aren't any caches there.

If you put in the - sign, you get the following caches:

0mi | Hidden park | 1/1 | OTHER

0mi | Around the greenway | 2/1 | TRAD

1mi | Malty MICRO #2 | 1/1 | TRAD

1mi | Boston Rock | 2/1.5 | TRAD

1mi | Is george in longmon... | 1.5/1 | MULTI

1mi | Trashy Cachey | 2/1 | TRAD

1mi | A Main View | 1.5/1 | TRAD

1mi | Longs Peak Vista | 1/2 | TRAD

1mi | **DISABLED** The stairs | 2.5/1.5 | TRAD

1mi | Hyde-A-Tech | 2/2 | TRAD

Ah ha!!! I never saw this on the geocaching.com because they are always positive values (when in DDD MM.MMM) but specify N, S, E and W?? Is that why? North and East are positive, South and West are negative?

Now its all coming together...thanks for being patient with my questions!

Some features I'd LOVE to see:

1) Filter out finds.

2) Search by waypoint (instead of only zip code or coordinates).

3) Maybe a high-end mobile site for those of us with PDA or high end phones.

Not exactly related to the mobile site, but to phones:

4) Log via SMS/txt message. IE, register your mobile number on the site and compose a txt with the waypoint and your log to a special e-mail address.

I tested this on my own cell phone and was able to enter a log. check it out at

http://wap.geocaching.com

This will be the permanent location for the WAP interface. You can also log caches with a web browser if you want to bypass all the web pages on geocaching.com

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

"Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it." Ya, that's what I thought that he said.

That site won't work for me on my Samsung x427m. It used to work but now just gives me "internal error" when I submit my lat/lon or zip.

The rtr.ca/geo site is working for me now. I was getting nowhere with the wap.geocaching.com site on my Razr V3C so I tried the rtr.ca/geo site. It didn't work either. After a couple of emails back and forth with the site owner it works perfectly for me now.

I also downloaded operamini from operamini.com directly to my Razr and only the High memory version would work for me. Its a much nicer browser then the built-in one.

Instead of spending more time on the wap interface, why not create a mobile-friendly stylesheet for the regular Geocaching.com site?

Unfortunately, the regular homepage is pretty hefty at over 200k, but perhaps that can be pared down using simple styles? May be a very quick way to give the mobiles every bit of function the desktop browsers have.

Am I missing something?

YEAH!!! I've been thinking of something like this for a couple months... Today, I find it! Awesome job! Is there a way to look at the Owner Posted Pictures? I was thinking a simple link to the pic if you want to look at it. Will this be expanded so that I can look at a cache, click on the publisher, and then find out what caches that I've found if theirs? I came into a situation a few weeks ago that that'd be a good thing for me to have access to.

Thanks for the work!

The Steaks

Using the WAP Site, enter the coordinates N29 36.137 W98 16.580.

It lists the closests caches starting at miles away and steadily getting farther.

Using the regular geocaching website, the closest cache is 0.3miles, then 0.4, then 0.6.

Why does the wap not list All caches? It would be Very useful for paperless caching if it did.

Using the WAP Site, enter the coordinates N29 36.137 W98 16.580.

It lists the closests caches starting at miles away and steadily getting farther.

Using the regular geocaching website, the closest cache is 0.3miles, then 0.4, then 0.6.

Why does the wap not list All caches? It would be Very useful for paperless caching if it did.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if I understand the Search By Coordinates interface correctly...

The Find Caches Search apparently only takes Decimal Degrees (which is a pain because most listings have Degrees and Decimal Minutes). In order to calculate Decimal Degrees, I take the minutes and divide by 60. Also need to use negative (-) for W latitude.

For the example above: N29 36.137 would be 29.602283333 and W98 16.580 would be -98.276333333

I wish the WAP interface would accept Degrees and Decimal Minutes, My phone is such an inconvenient interface to begin with without having to open my calculator every time I want to punch in coordinates.

BTW: WAP works fine with my T-Mobile MDA

MakoKidd

I get an error on my Verizon Motorola V710.

"System.formatException

Invalid Length for a Base-64 char array

Method: FromBase64String"

That's what I get....any hints?

I get the same error on my Verizon, Motorola V3m on every link exept for the "Travel Bug Lookup" link which works O.K.

PLEASE HELP! I would love to be able to use this feature.

I get an error on my Verizon Motorola V710.

"System.formatException

Invalid Length for a Base-64 char array

Method: FromBase64String"

That's what I get....any hints?

I get the same error on my Verizon, Motorola V3m on every link exept for the "Travel Bug Lookup" link which works O.K.

PLEASE HELP! I would love to be able to use this feature.

I've also noticed lately when my boyfriend logs in on WAP (using his Moto Q) that I no longer get the emails from his logs, regardless if I'm watching the cache, its in my Insta-Notify circle, or I own the cache.

This was working when WAP was updated to the 7-digit waypoint, what happened?

Thank you very much of this Wap service. We have used this quite often now and we like the simple use of it. Well done.

Maybe I missed it somewhere but, is there a service you provide where I can text a number and send the waypoint to then get back the clue and description and maybe 5 of the last logs?

If you don't have this I think it would be a great service to provide. Would help out in the field when you don't have a web enabled phone. I text all the time.

Since a few days I'm using the wap-site because of the GC-Site is too big to load to my mobile. The WAP-Site is FAST and great for searching information when I'm on the road.

The only thing I'm missing, is DIFFICULTY, TERRAIN and SIZE in the cache description.

Thanks!

Also, it would be nice to have a link to a list of "the closest caches to this cache" (essentially copying and pasting the co-ords of this cache into the "Find Caches > Search By: Coordinates").

A link to the actual cache page from the WAP cache page would be useful too for the times when the cache page has pictures, or the lost 5 logs aren't helpful, etc.

And if I log in from the button on a cache description page, I need to look-up the cache again.

I'm kind of nitpicking.. but yeah, the WAP interface is awesome!

This work fine with my Cingular 8525.

It would be nice if there was a "my Account" with basic stats and menu links to my caches and trackables.

It would also be nice if there were more filter options on the find cache. After entering the zipcode, a 2nd menu of:

Hide my finds

Mide my caches

Hide my finds & Caches

Would be helpful.

Thanks!

I've already asked a question about logging on with my Nokia Tableteer and now see that I can use this Wap interface with it just fine. I haven't figured out how to save the page so I can access it when I'm out and about, but I'm working on that.

Barb

I'm still using the WAP-Solution to log my founds and log my tb/gc. Further I use WAP for searching for coordinates and description of caches.

It would be VERY HELPFUL if I can search for a cache by NAME instead onlx y GC-Number.

Thanks, Thomas

I feel WAP interface should also show cache container, difficulty, and terrain ratings, along with a link to retrive more than the last 5 logs. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah what he/she said. ;)

Me too!

The WAP site is very helpful, but I have to agree with the above posts, if it had the cache SIZE, DIFFICULTY and TERRAIN, it would be SOOO much better! Any chance on getting this added to the site? Thanks for all the hard work! :D

Phil

I tested this on my own cell phone and was able to enter a log. check it out at

http://wap.geocaching.com

This will be the permanent location for the WAP interface. You can also log caches with a web browser if you want to bypass all the web pages on geocaching.com

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

It works just fine on my Blackberry! Thanks for the link. This will make Caching a lot easier for me and paperless also!

I for one use the wap.geocaching.com from a computer when the other servers are down at geocaching as happened a few weeks ago. But I think it would be nice to have a date field on the log form so one does not have to go back later on and correct the log when the servers are in their right mind.

I tried this on my Blackberry 8830 and it worked just fine. I'm new (just ordered my gps today) but if I go paperless, can I download to my Blackberry ahead of time (like the Cachemate on a Palm) just in case I can't get a wireless signal where I am? I have an old Palm Treo 600, but I'm trying to avoid carrying my phone (blackberry), my gps, and another Palm.

Edited by cashman2008

Brilliant! Discovered wap.geocaching.com by accident, but just the ticket when you're mobile (eg. on holiday) - especially for updating TB movements. Logged a 'find' and a TB drop for 18p on Orange PAYG (£4/MB).

FYI (hardly critical) - noticed some considerable delay (several hours) in updating TB 'distance travelled' on WAP site.

I for one use the wap.geocaching.com from a computer when the other servers are down at geocaching as happened a few weeks ago. But I think it would be nice to have a date field on the log form so one does not have to go back later on and correct the log when the servers are in their right mind.

I recently came across a program called CacheBerry (currently in Beta). It is the best BlackBerry paperless caching solution that I have found. Link