Newest Wap Interface

Jeremy

I upgraded my Verizon phone from a V276 to a RAZR V3m and still can't get logged into the wap site. Same stupid error.

Is there a way to hack the RAZR to install a better web browser, or somehow get the login stuff to work like it does when I use my phone to login to www.geocaching.com ? That login works just great on my phone, but many cache pages are so large it blows up the phone's memory past FULL... which is also crap since it's got many MBs free plus a huge microSD card.

I tried clearing everything like an earlier verizon razr wap user suggested. No joy.

I upgraded my Verizon phone from a V276 to a RAZR V3m and still can't get logged into the wap site. Same stupid error.

Is there a way to hack the RAZR to install a better web browser, or somehow get the login stuff to work like it does when I use my phone to login to www.geocaching.com ? That login works just great on my phone, but many cache pages are so large it blows up the phone's memory past FULL... which is also crap since it's got many MBs free plus a huge microSD card.

I tried clearing everything like an earlier verizon razr wap user suggested. No joy.

I too get the dreaded message when I use my razr v3c

thru Bell mobility here in Canada.

Just download Opera Mini on your phone and use IT as your webbrowser. Be sure you have unlimited packet data or browsing though. I can also log into the old Geo.com wap interface thru it as well if I don't want all the fancy graphics. Hope that helps!

I too get the dreaded message when I use my razr v3c

thru Bell mobility here in Canada.

Just download Opera Mini on your phone and use IT as your webbrowser. Be sure you have unlimited packet data or browsing though. I can also log into the old Geo.com wap interface thru it as well if I don't want all the fancy graphics. Hope that helps!

According to the Opera mini web site, Verizon phones that are BREW enabled (like mine) won't work.

:unsure: there simply is no joy....

I use a Verizon LG VX6100, that I've almost destroyed. Verizon tells me that I can upgrade next month but I'll probably wait untit the first of the year. I use the wap interface to get the coordinates, hint and cache description when I'm desperate, that's all. I don't pay for internet from Verizon and as long as I keep the free proxy addresses updated it works just fine. If the phone was in better shape I'd keep it, but I really need a new one.

Who uses Verizon and has a new phone, that works well, that they would recommend?

When I upgrade I want to get something that works with the wap(and has a little better camera built in).

Perhaps if more people posted about what worked for them, we could avoid a lot of the problems by not buying the stuff that doesn't work.

:unsure: there simply is no joy....

I'm really sorry I don't have any help for you huggy (we all need some joy), setting up my phone was so easy but I was never able to get my son in law's T-mobile phone to work so I somewhat understand your frustration.

Edited by MtnGoat50

Using on blackberry and works great with the full keyboard.

1. Can the find by coordinates get changed to minutes instead of decimal (would be like everywhere else)?

2. Add find nearby caches like website?

3. When you do a find add 'Back' at top to get back to previous page (again like most pages)?

Any news on these suggestions, saw no response?

I tested this on my own cell phone and was able to enter a log. check it out at

http://wap.geocaching.com

This will be the permanent location for the WAP interface. You can also log caches with a web browser if you want to bypass all the web pages on geocaching.com

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

I love you guys....uhh..i mean....Cingular treo 650 works great!

--MGb

Assuming (but you know what they say about assuming) that it must be difficult to code the WAP access for DD MM.abc formats since it has been this way for a couple of years now, could you add a simple "recalculator" that would convert the DD MM.abc coord to DD.abcde? Then we we would only have to write the recalc'd coords down and re-enter them in the find section.

Just a thought, but it would sure be nicer if the find would allow us to enter DD MM.abc directly too.

Thanks,

JZ6563

Edited by JZ6563

I am using a RAZR V3 and I get a server error. Any suggestions?

I just tried with a RAZR V3m and I get the same error:

--BEGIN ERROR--

Server error in /

System.FormatException

Invalid length for a Base-64

char array.

Method:FromBase64String

--END ERROR--

This happens on everything but the initial page and the login page. But, I do get the error after submitting the login form.

I just tried with a RAZR V3m and I get the same error:

--BEGIN ERROR--

Server error in /

System.FormatException

Invalid length for a Base-64

char array.

Method:FromBase64String

--END ERROR--

This happens on everything but the initial page and the login page. But, I do get the error after submitting the login form.

Oh, duh... I missed all the posts that already said this... sorry to repeat.

Any chance you can fix the code so that it doesn't require Javascript when I click "View cache"?

My phone does support Javascript, but I have it turned off because www.geocaching.com has Javascript problems when viewing caches. But when I try to use wap.geocaching.com, it won't let me view caches because it wants Javascript to be reenabled.

Assuming (but you know what they say about assuming) that it must be difficult to code the WAP access for DD MM.abc formats since it has been this way for a couple of years now, could you add a simple "recalculator" that would convert the DD MM.abc coord to DD.abcde? Then we we would only have to write the recalc'd coords down and re-enter them in the find section.

Just a thought, but it would sure be nicer if the find would allow us to enter DD MM.abc directly too.

Thanks,

JZ6563

Ok, i have written my own recalculation Interface it's really "simple" but it works (also with the Ogo / PocketWeb).

My Homepage for Handhelds is http://www.magratea.com (German interface so far! "Koordinaten Umrechnen")

greetinx mizzz

Edited by mizzz

I've been using this on my Motorola Q with no problems.

Sure would be nice and convenient, though, to be able to cache (no pun, really) a handful of (10 or so) geocaches in a "worklist" under my account on the web, so I could have easy access to them on the WAP account. Right now, I have to do a little digging on my GPS to find the GC number (once I set that up with GSAK) and that's the only way to find a cache in the WAP links.

Suppose I could log in on the web to my account, "add to <waplist>" a handful of caches. (last 10 saved?, make a specially named PQ? what's easiest, of course).

From the WAP site, I could "Find from <waplist>" and pick one of these caches to open, make logs, review, etc...

Using an iPAQ Rx3115 I gave no problems at all as long as there is Wi-FI!

I do however have a comment, why is it that the wap site wants cords in DD.MMMMM format and not DD MM.MMM format like GC.com when doing a search?

I find this really to be a real pain when I am trying to do a search for close by caches when I am away from home with nothing but my iPAQ, especially because well, lets face it how often do you have the ZIP Code for where you are?

Using an iPAQ Rx3115 I gave no problems at all as long as there is Wi-FI!

I do however have a comment, why is it that the wap site wants cords in DD.MMMMM format and not DD MM.MMM format like GC.com when doing a search?

I find this really to be a real pain when I am trying to do a search for close by caches when I am away from home with nothing but my iPAQ, especially because well, lets face it how often do you have the ZIP Code for where you are?

email me and I will send you an excel sheet that converts from DD.mmmm to DD MM.mmm for the ipaq

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

And I was hoping to do some caching this weekend!

I also had the 7digit waypoint code problem. although I encountered a different oddity when entering ths waypoint.

GC1032C

It pulls up waypoint GCG0V6, which I found odd.. Some sort of translation issue?

Anyways, hope it helps the diagnosis.

I discovered the WAP site awhile back and have been using it on my Verizon XV6700. Works great!

Though, as has been asked many times but no answer given, why doesn't the owner or anyone on the watchlist receive an email about the logs made from the WAP site? A lot of local owners have been getting on me for "intentionally" preventing notices sent to them.

Logged my first find from the field today on the Christmas present I bought for myself, a Nextel Motorola i870. Love it! Now to get hooked into the fancy new Geocache Navigator application....

Looking forward to the fix next week for the new waypoints. Fortunately there are lots of older caches I haven't found.

I've had the same experience with the 7-digit GC codes. Sometimes it causes an error, and other times it brings up some completely unrelated cache number. Very strange.

I logged my first cache "from the field" yesterday using the wap capability. And it's AWESOME to always have the most current information about a cache available while you're out. I can't count the number of times I've downloaded a PQ, updated my PDA and gone looking, then come home with a DNF only to find that for some reason the "archived" status wasn't picked up in the PQ. Argh!

Gotta get that 7-digit thing fixed though....

Edited by EEeee!

Any moderator out there? :laughing:

1. Is the interface going to be fixed for the 7 digit caches?

2. Will the coordinates ever be changed to enter the standard geocahing way?

There's a whole other thread about the 7 digit problem and Jeremy said a couple days ago that they're "workin' on it." post

Apparently the wap server hasn't been upgraded in a while, so it is taking a little longer to fix. One can only hope that when they rework the code for this little problem they'll be able to have coords input in DD mm.mmm format.

I have a new Treo and sure would like to be able to use it. Just had my first little foray into paperless caching yesterday and it sure was handy. The wap server wouldn't have been much use for me though, no signal available where I was caching! :)

............Apparently the wap server hasn't been upgraded in a while, so it is taking a little longer to fix. One can only hope that when they rework the code for this little problem they'll be able to have coords input in DD mm.mmm format................

I think that says a lot about how well the wap server has been working, we can only dream that any other web server would work this good.

Anyone know when this WAP interface is going to be fixed to work with the 7 digit waypoints? I have to pay $15 a month so I can use this on my cellphone, so if it isn't going to be fixd soon then it would be nice to know so I can cancel my data package on the cellphone. No sence in paying for somthing you can't use right?

Edited by Malcore
Is there a way to enter your LOGIN info via the URL?

For those of us with a phones that won't keep COOKIES, it would be great to save a link and be able to choose it.... EX: www.geocaching.com/login.asp?joeblow-mypassword of pass it the login and only enter the password when prompted....

:blink:

I'm glad I chose 'robert' for my username, yours is a doozy for a cell phone! :unsure:

I'm anxious to see it up and running again as well, but being patient as I know everyone is busy.

:o

Any moderator out there? :huh:

Same two questions have risen for me!!

The WAP interface is really a very good last hope Interface while doing fieldwork at caches.

I'd really appreciate it being updatedt concerning its 7-digit capability and a usage of degree minutes instead of decimal degrees for the coordinates.

Any moderator out there? :blink:

Same two questions have risen for me!!

The WAP interface is really a very good last hope Interface while doing fieldwork at caches.

I'd really appreciate it being updatedt concerning its 7-digit capability and a usage of degree minutes instead of decimal degrees for the coordinates.

I see the 7-digit thing is working how about fixing the usage of degree minutes?

It's working fine with my Blackberry Pearl, although I haven't tried logging a find on it yet.

It's be nice to be able to access maps, though.

You can if you select the Microsoft Mapoint feature.

That is the only map program that will work on my RAZR :laughing: Not the greatest but it does work.

For the people that want a ton of features added to the WAP page I think you are missing the point. This is just supposed to be a quick and dirty way to view and log caches on the road, not a replacement for the WWW website. I personally would be unwilling to deal with the slowdown that pictures and maps would cause, if you are going to add those things you may as well just use the normal WWW site.

Now, if I have to wait for 4 data field inputs to load so that I can enter cords the way I do on the WWW site I would be willing to do that.

The rtr.ca/geo site is working for me now. I was getting nowhere with the wap.geocaching.com site on my Razr V3C so I tried the rtr.ca/geo site. It didn't work either. After a couple of emails back and forth with the site owner it works perfectly for me now.

I also downloaded operamini from operamini.com directly to my Razr and only the High memory version would work for me. Its a much nicer browser then the built-in one.