Newest Wap Interface

Jeremy

I too am in the "sucks to be me" pile with the Moto e815. Has anyone tried tethering it to a BT enabled palm and using it to surf on the palm? I have a palm but it's not BT enabled so I can't try this out.

Do you have Verizon? If so they have severely crippled their phones. I have the E815 and a Palm T|X (Wi-Fi and BT) but can not get the two to work together. There might be a way to have them work together through a seem edit but I have not gotten that far with the phone yet. The only thing that I can do is have my Palm dial my phone for me via BT. I think that if you had a cable from your Palm to your phone you might be able to *dial up* with a whopping speed of 14.4 unless you subscribe to a faster data plan.

I'm on Bell, but if you want to learn how to uncripple your Verizon e815, check out http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=674803 for all sorts of seem editing fun.

Still doesn't generate watch list or owner notifications when you log an activity using this interface.

The interface itself works fine on my UTStarcom 6700 (Windoze Mobile 5 - running IE Mobile) but this lack of notifications is a disincentive for me to use it.

Works fine on the TREO 700. Just got back from the hills wondering why the H@#* their wasn't WAP access to the mother ship. The main website works okay on the TREO, but the WAP gives yah what you need ASAP. Came into the forums, and what do yah know??! Have not found mention of the WAP anywhere else! Get this info up on the main page!! or at least with all the stuff on PDA's, paperless, etc.

Not sure is this one has been covered, but I may as well ask....

Why is it that in order to perform a search based on coordinates, we have to input decimal degrees? IE: dd.dddddd?? I wouldn't mind, but the results that come back from the query are in dd.mm.mmmm format which requires a system preference "units" change on my GPS in order locate the cache.

Would it not make sense to provide the same units accross the board for the WAP interface? Either unit format is fine with me.

Kobayashi

I used it on a Treo 650, and it worked well except for posting the logs. When I tried that function, it reset the phone. I thought it was a fluke, so I tried a few more times, and every time when I finished typing up the log and clicked submit, it crashed the phone. Any ideas? It works great otherwise. It would be nice if there was a "view all logs" like the main webpage, but i can use the regular webpage on my phone as well - just loads slower - and I think normal WAP browsers have limits to the size of the page.

Been trying to use the wap interface but my Samsung D500 gives the following error whenever I try and log in or enter data in a form, such as a search.

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

Invalid length for a Base 64

char array.

Method:FromBase64String

Partial Stack Trace:

at System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s)

at System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input)

at System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()

at System.Web.UI.PageLoadPageViewState()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

I'm getting this error on the Verizon Razr V3C that I just got yesterday. The http://rtr.ca/geo site works, but as someone else reported, you can't see coordinates because a login is required.

Oh good... it's not just me. I also get the same error with the same phone.

Me too, same phone, same provider, same problem.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to work on the Sanyo SCP7300. :blink: Not your fault, it's Bell Canada's phones up here in the Great White North. :) It tells me I have to download a plug-in. Don't know where to find it. Any ideas out there???

Ridilen

While triyng to use the wap interface, my phone (Sharp GX25), gives me the following menssage, when loggin in:

Server error in/

System.Exception

The page requires session state that is no longer available.

Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history is too small.

Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit.

Method:on ViewStateExpire

The problem is the phone, or some thing else ?

No dice on my Razr V3 i get "Page cannot be displayed". Now I'll go off and sulk cause this is a really cool feature.

I actually got this to work on my V3, if anyone is having problems try clearing your cache, history, and cookies. and make sure the first URL you load when you start the browser is the wap.geocaching.com that's what works for me now :anicute:

Why is it that in order to perform a search based on coordinates, we have to input decimal degrees? IE: dd.dddddd??

This has been been addressed before. I asked a few weeks back. Turns out you can simply enter decimal minutes if you want, even though the text box appears to accept only decimal degrees. Enter the degrees, leave a space, then the minutes.

No dice on my Razr V3 i get "Page cannot be displayed". Now I'll go off and sulk cause this is a really cool feature.

As noted above, my V3 with Cingular works. Kinda clunky, but it works.

Jamie

Been using the WAP interface for awhile on my Verizon LG VX8100. Any ideas why my phone won't let me see all the options (view hint, view logs, write logs, travel bugs)? At first I though that it was something the cache owner set up on their cache page. But now I realize it is my phone cutting the web page off after the first link. If their is a hint then it simply displays 'Get Hint' and cuts off 'View Logs'. Since their isn't much chance of a cache having no hints and no logs but containg a tb the travel bug link is always cut off. Anyone else experience this on WAP?

I tested this on my own cell phone and was able to enter a log. check it out at

http://wap.geocaching.com

This will be the permanent location for the WAP interface. You can also log caches with a web browser if you want to bypass all the web pages on geocaching.com

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

i get this message, " This site can't be view due to a temporary overload or lack of maintenance". anybody else get this?

Edited by Team Firefly

I tested this on my own cell phone and was able to enter a log. check it out at

http://wap.geocaching.com

This will be the permanent location for the WAP interface. You can also log caches with a web browser if you want to bypass all the web pages on geocaching.com

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

i get this message, " This site can't be view due to a temporary overload or lack of maintenance". anybody else get this?

me too. from a blackberry. :(

Been trying to use the wap interface but my Samsung D500 gives the following error whenever I try and log in or enter data in a form, such as a search.

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

char array.

Partial Stack Trace:

I'm getting this error on the Verizon Razr V3C that I just got yesterday. The http://rtr.ca/geo site works, but as someone else reported, you can't see coordinates because a login is required.

I am having the problem with my new Alltel Motorola E815. Add me to the list. I noticed some fixes for the Motorola's in the past, but have no idea what any of it means. Hope someone can figure it out.

Edited by theweirdozone

Now that I am on the road with a pocket PC I am first very happy that the wap.geocaching.com pages exist and second have some feedback.

Search by coords - I would love to be able to search by the default that we all use on our gps and on this site and not pure decimal.

From the view cache page it would be great to be able to see nearby caches I have not found. I don't recall seeing that link.

No sure what it would take to save a gpx file to my pocket pc from those pages but that would also be sweet.

Thanks GC.com!

First let me say this great! I've had a lot of fun with it since I set it up on my cell. I've used it a couple of times to get the hint when I've forgotten to bring the cache sheet or load the PDA.

From the view cache page it would be great to be able to see nearby caches I have not found. I don't recall seeing that link.

I think this would be a great addition. I can sometimes go through pages and pages without seeing an unfound cache, and I don't have that many finds compared to some.

In any case, thanks again, I've really enjoyed having mobile access.

has anybody had troubles with WAP gateways filtering out (ie: compressing) data and removing crucial HTML like session parameters? my WAP APN seems to enable this erroneous behaviour. if I use a "standard" APN it works like a charm (but gets a little bit more expensive)

me (and a couple of blokes here in Portugal) have been suffering from this for a long time and we're firing at everything we can so we can figure out what's wrong.

One more request -

I am parked on a mountain and I know that the cache name includes Mount Bachelor in the name of it. I do not recall the GC number. I could look up the coordinates where I am (after switching the format in my gps unit) but what about a text lookup box for words or title at least?

I am liking this!

One more request -

I am parked on a mountain and I know that the cache name includes Mount Bachelor in the name of it. I do not recall the GC number. I could look up the coordinates where I am (after switching the format in my gps unit) but what about a text lookup box for words or title at least?

I am liking this!

Try using this WAP interface that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It has a few more options and a link to GC.

http://rtr.ca/geo

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

char array.

Partial Stack Trace:

I am having the problem with my new Alltel Motorola E815. Add me to the list. I noticed some fixes for the Motorola's in the past, but have no idea what any of it means. Hope someone can figure it out.

Still no luck with my Razr V3C, even after a firmware update on it a few day ago. :)

Also tried the suggestion about clearing cache, cookies, and memory. ;)

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

char array.

Partial Stack Trace:

Still no luck with my Razr V3C, even after a firmware update on it a few day ago. :)

Also tried the suggestion about clearing cache, cookies, and memory. :)

Add me to the list too...Alltell Motorola Razr V3

Anything going to be done about this "base 64 error??" Seems to be a common boo boo with all the new phones. Be nice to be able to do the caching right from the phone again!! For now I use Opera Mini on my cell to go to the REAL geo.com page and go from there. The wap was faster though.

I have a Treo 650 and I have used the wap site a couple of times but after that I had trouble getting the logs through so I quit using it until today. I tried entering a log with commas, apostrophes, periods, return, and indent and it would not accept my log so I just entered plain text with nothing special (looks bland) but they took – so if you are having trouble give the plain text a shot and see if it works for you

Found with no trouble at all thanks for the fun

look mom no hints on this one for me man did it take me a long time to track down but I found it if you blend in with the locals you won't have any trouble at all thanks for the fun

Using on blackberry and works great with the full keyboard.

1. Can the find by coordinates get changed to minutes instead of decimal (would be like everywhere else)?

2. Add find nearby caches like website?

3. When you do a find add 'Back' at top to get back to previous page (again like most pages)?

Well, not only can I not access the wap site because of the char 64 problem on my Motorola E815, but now even the rtr.ca/geo site won't work for me. Whenever I go to the zip code screen, it just keeps recycling when you type anything in. Suggestions, solutions, anything?

I have the same phone and trouble too.

After doing a search in the forums I found the rtr.ca/geo site and thought, great!

Well it just keeps recycling for me too. :o

I don't get to geocaching as much as I use to and was hoping being able to look up geocaches on the cell phone would help.

Regarding search by coordinates, the shown example for ‘formatting’ is xx.xxxx …

Would it not be relatively easy to make those fields a bit ‘smarter’ on the server side by doing a bit of selective ‘parsing’ to dynamically determine the input format used and process accordingly?

For example:

xx.xxxxx decimal degrees (number-DecimalPoint-number)

xx xx.xxxx decimal minutes (number-Space-number-DecimalPoint-number)

xx xx xxx degree minute second (number-Space-number-Space-number)

I would provide the flexibility needed when you may have varied input location formats to input with.

What think you folks?

Well, not only can I not access the wap site because of the char 64 problem on my Motorola E815, but now even the rtr.ca/geo site won't work for me. Whenever I go to the zip code screen, it just keeps recycling when you type anything in. Suggestions, solutions, anything?

Same with my Verizon / Motorola E815. Verizon has told me multiple times that it is the web sites, not Verizon.