Newest Wap Interface

Jeremy

My question is why Javascript?  I have noticed that JS on the listing pages for caches kills my attempts to power-surf GC.com with Firefox via tabs.  I suppose it does a good job of limiting load on the GC.com web servers, so I can live with that.  But JS on the WAP portal is killing what looks like almost all Sprint users.  Ouch.

I'd have to agree with this question - it's a WAP interface, WAP is intended for stupid mobile browsers. The pages are just forms, there's really no reason the entire user presentation can't be done in straight HTML, and let the server side handle all of the parsing and error handling.

My Blackberry 7920 running the 4.0+ software doesn't work on the WAP site either...I get the reported

"O  Submit Form"

dummy form that doesn't actually do anything, not the usual menu I can see if I go in through a browser.

Tried it on a Sanyo SCP-4900 with Sprint Vision service. I was able to log on and look up a travel bug. However, all other options (View cache, Find Cache, Log Cache) resulted only in "plug-in not available, download?" with a YES, NO choice. I choose yes, and it took me to a general purpose download page offering a "Jessica in bikini" screen saver.

Should I need to download anything?

I had a Motorola V60i that worked great. It suddenly quite working (a split second after it impacted the earth one time too many). Replaced with a Motorola V262.

The V262 will allow me to login using www.geocaching.com just fine. However, neither wap site, wap.geocaching.com nor www.geocaching.com/wap, will allow me to login. I checked and my V262 does not have java capabilities from the web.

It takes a lot longer to search caches with all the graphics turned on, but at least it works.

I wonder if the wap interface could add the Motorola V262 to the list of java disabled cell phones.....

I miss the V60i's speedy wap interface.

Also, would be nice to have a 'filter finds' option that appends the &f=1 to the url or via the cookie.

Just a few thoughts...

I am using the Motorola V400 and I must say that I LOVE the WAP Interface. I went out and now pay for unlimited use of webaccess with my provider because of this website. I have been using it and recently found something that in the past wasn't a problem. When I do a search for a zipcode, the first list of sites would show up. When I clicked (I think its called) NEXT, it will not advance to the next set of caches. For the past few days, this hasn't been working, but worked fine last week without any problems. TOM

On my Sanyo 4920 using SprintPCS, I got to the main http://wap.geocaching.com page just fine and was able to login, but the cache search page link results in "No plugin present to open file".

The phone suggests downloading the plugin, but I have no idea what it is looking for. I think it is probably confused with the javascript or the .aspx URL extension in those links.

-B3Fiend

Same thing happens on my Sanyo 8200 :rolleyes:

The wap interface has been updated to include travel bug logging. Additionally, you can skip the TB and GC prefix to get to a cache page. It isn't documented, but once we get all the kinks worked out we'll put a "how to" page on the Geocaching.com web site.

How is it that I've been a member for nearly a year and I'm only now discovering this functionality? And that only by accident? Where is the "how to" page on the website?

thanks,

esquimaux

Upgraded my Motorola V262 to V276. With the Verizon Wireless mobile web 2.0 package, still no joy with WAP interface. Can connect to wap.geocaching.com but can't login. Can use the phone to connect directly to www.geocaching.com and login there. Maybe I need to turn off all the jazzy graphics so I can scroll through faster. It's nice to see the GC input box at the bottom of the main page so I can get directly to a cache page via waypoint ID.

Would be great if the base-64 conversion error didn't exist, and maybe I could login to wap.geocaching.com.

SIGH.

The WAP interface doesn't work reliably on my Kyocera/Qualcomm 2000. Yeah I should upgrade the phone but since my employer gave me a new one for work what the heck.

Anyways, not all caches will come in, I will often submit a waypoint and the next screen is "Enter another waypoint". Checking the GC number I have entered it correctly from the site (with my laptop in front of me).

The other problem is with the logs: I always get the error message "digest too large for device"

The rest seems to work OK.

JDandDD

Been trying to use the wap interface but my Samsung D500 gives the following error whenever I try and log in or enter data in a form, such as a search.

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

Invalid length for a Base 64

char array.

Method:FromBase64String

Partial Stack Trace:

at System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s)

at System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input)

at System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()

at System.Web.UI.PageLoadPageViewState()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

Been trying to use the wap interface but my Samsung D500 gives the following error whenever I try and log in or enter data in a form, such as a search.

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

char array.

Partial Stack Trace:

Looks like this is becoming more and more of an issues as newer phones with newer browsers are hitting the market, and are not as yet supported by MS .NET

I've recently acquired the Motorola E815, which is the next model year of the 710. I using through Bell Mobility in Canada and the phone has Openwave 6.2.3 (same version as the 710).

Unless I can find a way to flash upgrade my phone, I'm in the "sucks to be me" pile when it comes to the WAP interface. I suspect this problem will become more prevalent as more people who got phones for Christmas start trying out WAP. :rolleyes:

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

char array.

Partial Stack Trace:

Looks like this is becoming more and more of an issues as newer phones with newer browsers are hitting the market, and are not as yet supported by MS .NET

I've recently acquired the Motorola E815, which is the next model year of the 710. I using through Bell Mobility in Canada and the phone has Openwave 6.2.3 (same version as the 710).

Unless I can find a way to flash upgrade my phone, I'm in the "sucks to be me" pile when it comes to the WAP interface. I suspect this problem will become more prevalent as more people who got phones for Christmas start trying out WAP. :blink:

I get exactly the same error on my Verzion E815 (OpenWave 6.2.3) which worked fine up until a few weeks ago. What has changed to prevent this from working? Is there a possibility that this is going to be fixed?

GO$Rs

Beautiful little app :-)

Been caching using my XDAII and loading full site pages over GPRS which is a slooooooow old game. Just tried via the WAP system - love it. Very quick & simple, nice clean interface. Search by keyword would be cool - but a bit intensive for wap ?...

Thanks again - great site, great service, great game.

Regards,

Dave. Dreamer1969

I have used the wap for a while now [just placed it on a Nokia 6600] and just want to say how well it has worked. However, I have found the following:

No matter how I type in the co-ordinates, its never the correct one for the area I am seeking :blink: What could I be doing wrong? At the moment I have to type in the Cache waypoint to get the correct cache.

Also is it possible to add a post code search facility in the future, like we find on the main site? This might be handy if I am abroad too.

Keep up the good work :)

Looks Great on my Treo650.

I agree with what I have seen a few other people saying, one of the main reason I would use this is to see the cache size when I'm having problems finding a cache. It would be great if you could add the cache size to the display.

Thanks!!

I too am in the "sucks to be me" pile with the Moto e815. Has anyone tried tethering it to a BT enabled palm and using it to surf on the palm? I have a palm but it's not BT enabled so I can't try this out.

Do you have Verizon? If so they have severely crippled their phones. I have the E815 and a Palm T|X (Wi-Fi and BT) but can not get the two to work together. There might be a way to have them work together through a seem edit but I have not gotten that far with the phone yet. The only thing that I can do is have my Palm dial my phone for me via BT. I think that if you had a cable from your Palm to your phone you might be able to *dial up* with a whopping speed of 14.4 unless you subscribe to a faster data plan.

I get an error on my Verizon Motorola V710.

"System.formatException

Invalid Length for a Base-64 char array

Method: FromBase64String"

That's what I get....any hints?

Having the same problem with my V710, have enterd everything corectly to no avail. Please help me [:ph34r:]

"System.formatException

Having the same problem with my V710, have enterd everything corectly to no avail. Please help me [:D]

Try this http://rtr.ca/geo

Thank you, I tryed it but even tho it says "Login successfull" I cant see the coords, says I ned to log in to see them. any ideas?

Thanks

"System.formatException

Having the same problem with my V710, have enterd everything corectly to no avail. Please help me [:D]

Try this http://rtr.ca/geo

Thank you, I tryed it but even tho it says "Login successfull" I cant see the coords, says I ned to log in to see them. any ideas?

Thanks

I just got rid of my v710 and it worked fine. Just logged in, went back to locate caches and plugged in the zip and all worked with no problems.

I now have the lg8100 and it works with no problems either.

Does anyone know how to turn OFF the text notifications?

I forgot how I turned em on.

I called Cingular to ax em & day say to reply to da text with da word "stop". I've done that twice & still get em. :laughing:

Thank you!

UPDATE/FYI:

I turned them on & OFF via my Yahoo mail.....Whew..no more .10 per message!

WAP works on the Samsung A900 (Sprint) but I didn't test everything 'cause I needed functionality of the regular site (new caches and mine). (The signal to noise ratio of the wap list sans &f=1 was too much clutter.)

OTOH, the full website works great! (Well, weekdays obviously...) Access everything, tested logging a cache, etc.

So those having trouble w/the WAP might just try the full instead.

hth,

Randy

I've tried using the WAP interface from a Boost Mobile Motorola I415 phone and I find myself unable to log in. The user interface FORCES me to capitalize the first character of my login and password.

I've tried it from my Verizon LG8100, and it also defaults to capitalizing the first character of the login and password, but on that phone there is a 'shift' button so I can UNcapitalize the first char.

On both phones it seems I have to hit OK twice. The first time I hit OK, I get a screen that just says, OK and Previous. The second time I hit OK it tries to log me in.

I have very little experience with WAP interfaces in general, so I don't know if these issues are due to the browser implementation in the phones themselves, or if they are due to design issues in the geocaching WAP pages.

Edited by darus67

I just started using the WAP interface this weekend and it is very convenient. However, I don't seem to be able to drop travel bugs through the interface. Specifically, this seems to be the personal geocoins (not too sure about the rest). Might this have broken with yesterday's TB database move?

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

char array.

Partial Stack Trace:

I'm getting this error on the Verizon Razr V3C that I just got yesterday. The http://rtr.ca/geo site works, but as someone else reported, you can't see coordinates because a login is required.

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

char array.

Partial Stack Trace:

I'm getting this error on the Verizon Razr V3C that I just got yesterday. The http://rtr.ca/geo site works, but as someone else reported, you can't see coordinates because a login is required.

Oh good... it's not just me. I also get the same error with the same phone.

I realize the main gc.com site merits more attention, so this isn't by any means meant as a whine. But since this appears to be something that might be trapped and handled on the server side, and since the same problem seems to occur for quite a few different mobile browsers, it seems like working on a fix here would help quite a few people.

Any chance this will get some attention?

If the answer is "It's a lot more work than you think, and a lot lower priority than you'd like", I can deal with that. <_< But don't feel obliged to say that just because I suggested it. :P