Newest Wap Interface

Jeremy

I recently got a Treo 600. The WAP interface seems to work very well!

My wish list;

- might just be me or my Treo, but each time I go to the site I need to login. Would be nice if I didn't have to log in like on the main site.

- keyword search, in addition to search by id, zipcode & coords. Sometimes I know the name of a cache when I'm out, but have no idea of the id or zipcode. Even if I had the zip, there might be 100 listed in the same zip.

- be able to run pocket queries

- find user so you can send a message

I've noticed using the WAP interface that I'm unable to view a new (as of today) cache. I get an error saying "you must be logged in ...", which I am. If I enter the coords of an older cache, then I don't see this.

I've seen this a couple times whenever I bring up a new cache listing. Seems to be fine after a day or so.

I also get the dreaded "No plug-in present to open file. Download?" error message on my Sanyo SCP-4900 (on the Sprint Vision network).

FYI, the browser version in the phone is NetFront v3.0 for SprintPCS 20020910Rel-v062b.

I'm not sure if anyone else has found the proper plug-in for this browser yet, but that info may help.

It's frustrating because some of the features almost work - the login and travel bug screens (although when I searched the bug info didn't come up, it simply went back to the search screen) don't bring up the error message.

I'll keep trying things and let people know if I find any success for all of us Sanyo (best-reception-out-there-in-fringe-areas (IMHO)) phone owners.

TangoDeltaDelta

Edited by TangoDeltaDelta
I've noticed using the WAP interface that I'm unable to view a new (as of today) cache. I get an error saying "you must be logged in ...", which I am. If I enter the coords of an older cache, then I don't see this.

I've seen this a couple times whenever I bring up a new cache listing. Seems to be fine after a day or so.

I also noticed this recently. Usually I don't have to log in to view a cache page, but one particular one kept asking me to log in, but would never display the page.

I've noticed using the WAP interface that I'm unable to view a new (as of today) cache.  I get an error saying "you must be logged in ...", which I am.  If I enter the coords of an older cache, then I don't see this. 

I've seen this a couple times whenever I bring up a new cache listing.  Seems to be fine after a day or so.

I also noticed this recently. Usually I don't have to log in to view a cache page, but one particular one kept asking me to log in, but would never display the page.

As I understand it, what you see when using a browser will be different from an actual WAP device. The system detects browsers from WAPs, and then uses the appropriate interface. I suppose if you used a WAP emulator, then you would see the WAP interface (haven't tried it).

At http://wap.geocaching.com I get an error with the new Motorola V710 (have had two of these now, and have had same problem with each. My dog ate the first one!  :o  )

The first menu displays ok.

From each menu choice of "View, Find Caches, and Log a Cache" I get the following error message:

--------------------------------

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

Invalid length for a Base 64

char array.

Method:FromBase64String

Partial Stack Trace:

at System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s)

at System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input)

at System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()

at System.Web.UI.PageLoadPageViewState()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

--------------------------------

(Note the above Partial Stack Trace was the error sample from the "Find Caches" menu choice.)

My Motorola V710 has software version 8700_01.30.8F, on the Detroit/Toledo Verizon CDMA 1X network, using the Openwave 6.2.3.2.156 (MOT-8700_/00.62) Universal Edition, WAP 2 browser via

Verizon's portal.

However the site mentioned elsewhere in this thread of http://rtr.ca/geo seems to work fine so far.

Hope that helps.

UPDATE:

http://rtr.ca/geo does NOT completely work for me.

I can log into GC using this portal, however as soon as I attempt a function that requires me to logged in, it says I need to log in first.

The rtr.com site owner tells me that there must be a cookie issue with either my phone or with Verizon, as he can see the logs of me successfully logging in. However my subsequent page requests do not pass the login cookie information.

Could this cookie issue be the problem of why some people can not use wap.geocaching.com also?

Apparently the Motorola v710 wasn't listed by Microsoft as a compatible phone for the ASP.NET mobile forms, so we had to add some code on our end that hopefully will force it to work. The specifics (for those who care) are laid out at the bottom of this forum thread from www.asp.net:

http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?ta...1&PostID=736723

Unfortunately, none of us here have a v710, nor can we find an emulator with which to test the fix, so hopefully someone like Rycks can help us out in that department.

The leftover short description problem that someone mentioned above is also fixed now. You'll be able to see that change in the next minor update, which will likely be sometime this afternoon.

Hope that helps! :o

I have a V710 now and I get the same error:

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

Invalid length for a Base 64

char array.

Method:FromBase64String

I can log in but that is all.

Also the

View Cache

Find Cache

Log Cache

link link

is still there.

Hi,

I frequently use your WAP site (http://wap.geocaching.com/) and I think it's great that I don't have to print out cache details. I used to try to find sites w/o these details but some are impossible. I am using a Motorola V600 and T-Mobile T-Zones WAP 2.0 browser. The T-Mobile data services have good coverage (in my area) but before I go under heavy cover, I will check the cache details and latest find successes.

:lol: I love that you are using decimal degrees (ddd.ddddd). I wish that the regular site used this format, as well, instead of the half-breed "ddd mm.mmm" format. Being an engineer, I think it makes "Great Circle" calculations easier.

Anyone please help! I believe that I am not able to use Javascipt with the T-Zones browser and therefore I am unable to login :ph34r:. Another forum poster (CoasterManiacs) apparently has the same issue. Is there any way to enable Javascript with this setup :D? Somehow the other features are working for me without Javascript.

I would like to request two things for the WAP site.

1. I would like to see the cache size listed. I think it is important information.

2. I would like to be able to view all logs. The logs aren't as important but I visited one yesterday that was 40 meters away from the coordinates and was frustrated. I wanted to see if anyone had posted better coordinates.

Thank you for you attention,

ArmyMen

I've noticed using the WAP interface that I'm unable to view a new (as of today) cache.  I get an error saying "you must be logged in ...", which I am.  If I enter the coords of an older cache, then I don't see this. 

I've seen this a couple times whenever I bring up a new cache listing.  Seems to be fine after a day or so.

This is the same behaviour that I've mentioned previously. It appears to be a result of the new cache not having any log entries yet. Once someone posts any sort of log to the cache, I am able to view it.

Tony

On my Sprint phone, on some pages I get the "No plug-in present to open file. Download?" error message, and on some I don't.

After carefully reviewing the source (using IE as a browser and WordPad to view the source), the pages that cause the error seem to have a reference like the following that may be causing the error -- the pages that don't have this type of reference are working.

<a href="javascript:__doPostBack('lnkEnterWptBack','frmDefault')">Back</a>

Can anybody comment on this? Thanks!!!

TangoDeltaDelta

Edited by TangoDeltaDelta
<a href="javascript:__doPostBack('lnkEnterWptBack','frmDefault')">Back</a>

Can anybody comment on this?  Thanks!!!

Yeah. The POS browser Sanyo puts in thier phones don't support Javascript.

Not entirely true. They support the other Javascript that are included in the page, just not the href calls in the format I posted about.

I have a Sprint Sanyo something (RL-4920?) and I can get to the site ok and login ok, but when I click find a cache, or log a cache, or view a cache I get a "No plug in" error which asks me if I want to download the file - when I click yes, it redirects me to some sprint download page that has nothing to do with geocaching.com....

:lol:

edited to add rl-4920 - still not sure it's right....

Edited by DAS&SAS
I have a Sprint Sanyo something (RL-4920?) and I can get to the site ok and login ok, but when I click find a cache, or log a cache, or view a cache I get a "No plug in" error which asks me if I want to download the file - when I click yes, it redirects me to some sprint download page that has nothing to do with geocaching.com....

:lol:

edited to add rl-4920 - still not sure it's right....

ur... I guess I should have read the posts just before mine? sorry..... my issue has been addressed..... but not answered... Any help?

Edited by DAS&SAS

Just got this to work on my Sprint Sanyo 8100.

There's a program called WebViewer by Reqwireless. It supports javascript and whatever else that seems to be needed by the Geocaching WAP site.

Full version is $20, but you can download a trial by accessing this address from your phone's built in browser: www.reqwireless.com/wap/

Read more at their main web site.

Nice to have this working, for desperate times..

Cool!

Worked on my loaner LG-TM250 with Bell Canada 1X network

Can't wait 'til I get my Samsung SPH-A600 back now so I can try it for real!

One thing I noticed is that some non-alphabet characters appeared as "?"

I'll see if it does this on my A600 when I get it back (hopefully soon!)

I've been thinking for awhile that it would be a great idea to have a WAP version of the site for those embarassing moments in the field when you realize you forgot or brought the wrong printout or messed up the waypoint in your GPSr etc...

I actually came here to suggest that a WAP version should be considered but since common sense actually prevailed here without my intervention I will leave saying:

"Great idea! I'm glad I thought of it."

I've seen several questions on the coordinate format used to search the wap site, but I haven't seen this particular issue addressed:

The "Search by: Coordinates" screen takes its input in decimal degrees (ddd.ddddd), but cache locations are in (-)ddd mm.mmm format.

With my cheesy little Garmin eTrex, it takes a whole lot of button-pressing to show my current location in the query format, then switch back again to enter coords in the results format.

Because it is a lot harder (and more error-prone) for the site to have to parse multiple input formats, it would be easiest if it caches were displayed in multiple formats -- ideally through a user setting.

Using my Motorola T721 with AT&T mMode, I can search for and read cache pages fine. But I cannot "log in" in order to post finds or notes.

When submiting name and password, I am asked "Fetch redirected URL?" Answering NO gives me "t.aspx?...redir=1 Page Cannot Be Displayed".  Answering "YES" gives me "t.aspx?... redir...500 Internal server error." Then, Logged Out.

One thing that comes to mind is that my user name on GC.com has both upper and lower case letters, but my phone (when inputting name and password to wap.geocaching.com) will only allow entering in lower case. Using only lower case on the regular GC.com website still works.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having the exact same problem that Bob Rich is having, only I'm using a Motorola T720 with Cingular.

Anyone have an answer?

Looked through the whole thread and didn't find an answer to this question. I have the Motorola T720 and Cingular and can use all of the WAP features, but cannot login.

I receive the same exact error messages as Bob Rich and Nekkar. Did I miss the answer? Any status on this problem?

Thanks!

On my Sanyo 4920 using SprintPCS, I got to the main http://wap.geocaching.com page just fine and was able to login, but the cache search page link results in "No plugin present to open file".

The phone suggests downloading the plugin, but I have no idea what it is looking for. I think it is probably confused with the javascript or the .aspx URL extension in those links.

-B3Fiend

Same issue here with a Sanyo 8100 on Sprint. Was able to log in, but apparently some obscure file is missing. Did not have any luck with the application in the above post either.

Oh well, when I look at new phones and test drive them and see if I can log in and look at caches.

Edited by TwoTruckers

Anyone having trouble viewing the WAP website because their browser doesn't support javascript can put this code on a webpage of their own, and at least use some of the basic functionality of the WAP site to view caches and bugs. This code just bypasses the javascript on the first page of the site and uses FORM submits instead.

The search feature uses javascript several times, instead of just at the beginning, so that feature was not included. Note that some of the links you encounter will still cause the invalid plug in error, since I'm only replacing the front menu page.

Hey, something is better than nothing..I guess I could just pay the $20 for a browser that supports javascript, but then, that would be something for something, instead of something for nothing :blink:

Select one:<br>
<FORM NAME="frmDefault1" METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://wap.geocaching.com/default.aspx">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="__EVENTTARGET" VALUE="lnkViewCache">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="__EVENTARGUMENT" VALUE="frmEnterWpt">
<INPUT TYPE="Submit" VALUE="View Cache">
</FORM>
<FORM NAME="frmDefault4" METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://wap.geocaching.com/travel_bugs.aspx">
<INPUT TYPE="Submit" VALUE="Travel Bug Lookup">
</FORM>

or you can use my website, for as long as it's there..

http://www.davidandlorri.com/geowap/

Login doesn't work with Nokia.

For those strugling with JavaScript errors, there is nothing wrong in your phone.

The obvious problem seems to be that wap.geocaching.com is built using .NET Mobile forms.

System tries automatically recognize device type and its capabilities.

What happens when device is not recognized? It seems that default stripped down HTML + JavaScript version is sent instead of real WAP version coded with WML (Wireless Markup Language).

I've seen several questions on the coordinate format used to search the wap site, but I haven't seen this particular issue addressed:

The "Search by: Coordinates" screen takes its input in decimal degrees (ddd.ddddd), but cache locations are in (-)ddd mm.mmm format.

With my cheesy little Garmin eTrex, it takes a whole lot of button-pressing to show my current location in the query format, then switch back again to enter coords in the results format.

Because it is a lot harder (and more error-prone) for the site to have to parse multiple input formats, it would be easiest if it caches were displayed in multiple formats -- ideally through a user setting.

Any reply to this or any plan to change to the more "Geocaching" common format?

This is the same behaviour that I've mentioned previously. It appears to be a result of the new cache not having any log entries yet. Once someone posts any sort of log to the cache, I am able to view it.

I had this happen to me last night as well with GCPPEJ. Very frustrating as I thought I was doing something wrong.. Turns out it's a long-standing bug in the website.

Edited by Pear Head
Using my Motorola T721 with AT&T mMode, I can search for and read cache pages fine. But I cannot "log in" in order to post finds or notes.

When submiting name and password, I am asked "Fetch redirected URL?" Answering NO gives me "t.aspx?...redir=1 Page Cannot Be Displayed".  Answering "YES" gives me "t.aspx?... redir...500 Internal server error." Then, Logged Out.

One thing that comes to mind is that my user name on GC.com has both upper and lower case letters, but my phone (when inputting name and password to wap.geocaching.com) will only allow entering in lower case. Using only lower case on the regular GC.com website still works.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having the exact same problem that Bob Rich is having, only I'm using a Motorola T720 with Cingular.

Anyone have an answer?

Looked through the whole thread and didn't find an answer to this question. I have the Motorola T720 and Cingular and can use all of the WAP features, but cannot login.

I receive the same exact error messages as Bob Rich and Nekkar. Did I miss the answer? Any status on this problem?

Thanks!

Is anyone monitoring this thread? It's been a month since I posted this question with no response. It appears there is no response to other questions being posted.

If Groundspeak is no longer monitoring or responding to this thread, perhaps the thread should be closed?

Uggh. Sprint stinks for loading my Sanyo VM4500 with this trashy Netfront browser. As best as I can tell, my phone is not the only affected one. Looks like a LOT of Sprint users have this browser on their phones. What does this mean? Thats right; NO JAVASCRIPT SUPPORT!

The plug-in error plagues me, indeed. I havent attempted the Whiskerjinks hack (he mentioned it in person at the Geekfest event in Austin, TX this weekend), but I hear it doesnt completely resolve the issue.

browser:

netfront v3.0: 20031006rel-v005b-5500

phone version:

software: 1.008sp

My question is why Javascript? I have noticed that JS on the listing pages for caches kills my attempts to power-surf GC.com with Firefox via tabs. I suppose it does a good job of limiting load on the GC.com web servers, so I can live with that. But JS on the WAP portal is killing what looks like almost all Sprint users. Ouch.

Hi,

didn't know about the wap-interface until a couple of days ago but it works great with my SE K750i. :rolleyes:

Would it be possible to add an option that save the search-result as a .loc or gpx-file? That would help alot when using the phone also as a GPS-unit.

Works on my Treo 650

Yeah...but have you tried to post a message longer than the "little" box provided. I found that when I use the WAP site on my Treo 650 that when I need the LARGER box, it pops up, I enter my comments (usually log comments are the issue) then when I press OK so it will go back to the browser...that the unit REBOOTS!!! :rolleyes: So after the reboot, I RE-login, RE-type, and again, attempt to submit just to have it REBOOT again. Talk about a perfect example of insanity! :anibad:

SO to work around, I have to log into the MAIN site via the browser and wait for graphics to load ect. Just wondering if anyone else has been having this same problem. I did finally do the firmware update on the phone and really didn't see a difference. So I really don't think this is a GC.COM issue...but rather a TREO 650 issue.

TeddyCool,

My Samsung A600 has an arbitrary maximum input length of 160 characters in standard text fields on the browser. This is the same limit set for SMS text message inputs... To save a few extra bytes of code, Samsung uses the same firmware routine that the SMS text message application uses to call the text input field when it converts a text input field from a web site. All phones are different.

The only way around the limit in my phone is for the web site to call for a Java function instead. In that case the maximum input is usually a binary multiple (128, 256, 512 etc.) 512 char is the largest input field I have personally seen generated by J2ME using the WAP2 protocol. I'm not sure if there's a set limit.

Sounds like the firmware in your phone may have a byte limit set for text input instead of a capped field? Any input exceeding the byte length results in an error.

I suggest waiting for a little while until the next generation of browser enabled phones come out using the 3G system. This is BIG in Europe right now!!!

When reading the logs, it would be nice if they didn't suddenly go encrypted. I suspect this happens when the WAP server sees a "[" character, even if it's just introducing a smiley. This was mentioned shortly after the WAP service was launched, but apparently hasn't been addressed.

Thanks

Nick