Newest Wap Interface

Jeremy

On my screen, it looks like this (sample, not exact)

[Find a Cache]
   [Log a Cache]

[Link]       [Link]

The "Links" at the bottom are for my 2 "select" buttons on my phone. Usually, one of them will say "Go", and the other "Link", "Back", nothing, etc.

I was able to get it to work by highlighting "Find a cache" (again, just as an example), and then pushing the left-side "Link" button, which brought me to a second page:

[Go]
   [Back]

[Go]   [Back]

By highlighting the "go" in the options list and then pressing my left-side select button (now optioned to "go"), I was able to proceed to the next page as expected.

Is this WAD, or a possible peculiarity to my phone model?

I'm having the same issue on Verizon with my LG VX6100. There are a lot of weird things that happen with the soft keys (they are almost never right), and I get those weird screens with only "go" and "back" on them. Anyone know what's up with that?

Also, any plans to add a search by cache name soon?

Overall, quite useful, though. Thanks.

Jehsom

It does not work on my sprint sanyo 8100. It will allow me to log in, search for travel bugs but when I try to search for a cache my phone tells me I need a plugin for my phone..... and do I want to download the plugin, if I say yes it goes to sprint's site on their download page.

Jim

Of the two WAP sites, the Sanyo 4900 (SprintPCS Vison) only works with the www.geoocaching.com/wap/ page. The other page, wap.geocaching.com, sends a CONTENT-TYPE that is unrecoginzed by the phone's browser. It'd be nice if the two pages offered the same menu options (find, view, log, TB, etc.)

Also, I was out in the field looking for a cache (GCJNRV) and after an HOUR decided to check to see if there were any log updates for hints, check to see if there'd been a string of DNF's in the log, or to see if it had been disabled, etc.

There is NO mention of it being disabled :laughing: although I discovered later at home, via a regular browser, that it'd been disabled THREE days before :wub: It'd be great if the WAP page above could:

1. Always list if a cache has been disabled or archived

2. Allow access to the logs like the other WAP page

3. Allow you to log an entry

(GCJNRV)

There is NO mention of it being disabled :D

I looked at the cache listing and the details showed it as disabled:

**DISABLED** This one is for you "DAD"

If it wasn't disabled when you looked it it, it is possible that the owner forgot to disable it until after you looked at it. The listings on the wap site definitely show if the listing is archived or disabled.

I just checked again. It's not on the page anywhere. There is a difference between the three different URLs or else on how the pages are served up. Here's a link to tonight's photo where I rechecked: GCJNRV_WAP.jpg

I also checked http://www.geocaching.com/wap/ via FoxFire and it's not displayed on the GCJNRV details page either. It must be pointing to an unsychronized database mirror or not pulling the relevant data fields.

I just checked again.  It's not on the page anywhere.  There is a difference between the three different URLs or else on how the pages are served up.

I also checked http://www.geocaching.com/wap/ via FoxFire and it's not displayed on the GCJNRV details page either.  It must be pointing to an unsychronized database mirror or not pulling the relevant data fields.

Xangxa-

The geocaching.com/wap site is our old wap site that we've left up for people who have old phones that aren't compatible with some of the new technologies we've incorporated into the new wap site. Unfortunately, that old site doesn't have a lot of the newer features (like a 'disabled' notification) that the new site has, and we have no plans to update that site in the future. This puts you in a pickle, because apparently your Sanyo doesn't work with the new site and the old site isn't covering all the bases for you...

That being said, we would like to try our best to get the new site to work with your phone, so I've got a few suggestions for you. The first suggestion is to make sure you have enabled javascript on your phone. This may require that you search out a javascript plug-in (I haven't had luck with finding this, but have read that there is one), but may be as simple as turning on some kind of switch within your phone settings. If that doesn't work, it would help us out if you could post the exact wording of the error you receive when using the wap.geocaching.com site (posting a picture would be helpful as well). That way we have something more than a generic description of the error to go on.

We will continue to look for a fix for your model, but like we've stated before, there are so many different types of mobile solutions out there that it hasn't been possible to cover all of them with one set of code. These Sanyo difficulties are on the top of our list right now, so hopefully we'll find something soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bootron

I'm probably out of luck on this. ;)

The Sanyo 4900, and many of its Sprint PCS Vision brethren, don't support JavaScript. The error is misleading ("No plug-in present to open file. Download?"). This is the generic error message the NetFront v3 browser returns when it encounters an unrecognized MIME type. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that can be downloaded to rectify the issue, not even a new browser version.

The browsers really have not client-side processing, and can just render HTML, XHTML, and WML. Ironically, they can't even render GIF images (WHAT were they thinking?), just JPG, PNG, and WBMP images. It can handle cookies.

So unless the site uses server-side processing, there's not much hope.

So I have my brand spanking new Nokia 6820, on the cingular network. Worked fine for looking up caches at home, so I decided to try it in the field. I'd forgotten to bring the GC id, so I did the search by zip code, found the cache I was at, but got the message that it was a subscriber only cache. So I logged in, had to go do the search again, but still got the message, even though I was logged in. And the weirdest part is, that it wasn't a MO cache! When I got home, I searched by waypoint on the phone, and it worked. So I don't know what I did wrong in the field.

If I want to search by coordinates, can I use the same format as the website (NN NN.NNN)? I wanted to search by coordinates but it looked like it wanted NN.NNNNN.

Also, how many kb in the typical gc.com wap page? I'm paying 1 cent/kb, soI'm trying to figure out how much I'm spending to do this.

Thanks for any help - when I get this working, it'll be GREAT!

Love the new WAP interface. I've used it a few times to log caches.

May I make a suggestion? When I do a search for caches in my zip code, it lists every cache, most of which I found, so the search for a new cache with my cell phone is impossible. It would be nice to be able to search for newest caches in my zip code, say less than 1 week old. Or....is it possibe to send an email notification of new caches approved within 10 miles of one's home coordinates. Since I can check my email on my cell phone, I would know by email if a new cache was approved while I'm oot and aboot.

:lol:

Hi all,

Tried logging in with my Nokia 6585 on Bellmobility network up here in Canada and no go. I get this lengthy error message:

Server error in /

System.Exception

The page requires session state that is no longer available.

Either the session has expired,the client did not send a valid

session cookie, or the session state history size is too small.

Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit.

Method:OnViewStateExpire

Anyone have any clues what this means???

Thanks in advance!

-Jayloki-

For those of you haven't got your wap on yet, it is really cool. If you are traveling and need to look up the text of a cache or a nearby cache to do it is excellent. The only problem is trying to get some bars on your signal ;)

If you are searching for nearby caches using coordinates then you have to enter in decimal degrees not DD MM.MMM which is a little bit of a pain. I am going to try and get a list of zipcodes to carry around with me.

I have Verizon and an LG VX6100 phone, it works cool. You don't have to pay Verizon the monthly fee either if you use public servers. (see HowardForums on the net).

I also set up a wap home page at winksite.com, I added links to wap.geocaching.com and a few other sites and they work great.

[Another nice feature would be to add a filter finds options on your searches.]

Login to wap.geocaching.com does not work with Nokia 7250i - gives error message "Response unknown". Resubmitting the login once gives the same again, second time gives the above mentioned

"Server Error in /

System.Exception

The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit. Method:OnViewStateExpire"

However, when I went back after the first "Response unknown" and reloaded the first page, it suddenly told me I was logged in..

Logout works as it should.

after I enter in my user name and password it comes back with a "Services: Reply Unknown" error.

Does anyone have any insight to this?

TIA,

Shannon

Hi,

you could try the same I found out to work on Nokia 7250i :

when I went back after the first "Response unknown" and reloaded the first page, it suddenly told me I was logged in

You are all aware ( I hope) that there are like 3 wap sites that I know of that you can log into. Not just the one mentioned at the very start of this thread. See my last few messages. There's a few sites out there. Try them all and see which one doesn't mess up on you while logging in.

-Jayloki-

I've recently upgraded to a Sanyo 8200 and the rtr.ca/geo page doesn't work for this phone, where it worked on by Sanyo 8100... very strange.

Mmm.. I just now checked the rtr.ca server logs for your attempts, and I see logs of accesses without being "logged in", and then one successful "login", but nothing attempted after logging in.

The server thinks your login worked, but didn't receive any further activity from you after that. This could be due to caching in your phone's browser, or because you didn't try anything after the successful login.

If you give it another go, and then try logging a cache after logging in, the records should show what's wrong. Usually, the only thing that prevents rtr.ca from working with any handset is when the mobile service provider does not allow/support "cookies", as is the case with at least one major carrier in Europe. No cookies == no login, regardless of which wap portal you try.

Note for others; rtr.ca is just for me and my buddies, or for the few of us whose handsets just plain don't work with wap.geocaching.com and/or geocaching.com/wap. If your handset works with Jeremy's official site(s), then please switch over to those.

Cheers

Noticed a minor thing with wap.geocaching.com

While attending last weekend's SCGA meeting, I decided to go ahead and log it via wap.geocaching.com using my blackberry's wap browser (instead of the "full-function" browser and www.geocaching.com - faster w/o images)

I didn't pay attention at the time, but I logged it as "Found it." Upon further review, I'm the only one who "Found it" - everyone else "Attended."

No breakage in function, just a symantics thing.

Edited by Cymbaline

My Cingular Blackberry 6280 has v 4.0 handheld software with the included mMode browser and it doesn't work with the wap.geocaching.com site -- all my screen displays is:

Fill in Form ?

O Submit Form

(the O being a select button, that when selected just brings up the same screen)

Browser options show javascript is enabled.

Fortunately, the rtr.ca/geo site works fine, so all is not lost!

I just logged into the http://wap.geocaching.com/ site and tried to access one of the caches list in a search. I got the following screen:

Back

You must be logged in, and also a geocaching.com subscriber to view this cache.

New search

Log Out

© Groundspeak 2004

I'm guessing that this would be a members only cache (which I am). Why won't it let me view it?

Thanx, Tony

I know this is a minor complaint, but since I do a bunch of technical writing it's something that kinda bothers me... one of the log types is "needs archived"... shouldn't that be either "needs to be archived" or "needs archiving" or even "need archived"? It's really bad english the way it is now...

Alan LeVezu

I've asked this before and never got an answer, so I'm asking again: why can't the wap site accept coordinates in the HH MM.MMM format like the rest of the geocaching site uses? When I'm out and about and want to find a nearby cache, it's a pain to change the settings on my gps to get the right numbers to input!

Other than that the wap site works great!

It looks as if the problem I am experiencing is a problem accessing brand new caches. The message that I get when I try to view a fresh cache (I'm logged in) is shown below. The cache that I had a problem viewing last week can be viewed now. Just a though...Could it be trouble viewing a cache that has no logs yet?

The following message was encountered when I tried to view GCM0BT:

Back

You must be logged in, and also a geocaching.com subscriber to view this cache.

New search

Log Out

© Groundspeak 2004

Thanx, Tony

I've asked this before and never got an answer, so I'm asking again: why can't the wap site accept coordinates in the HH MM.MMM format like the rest of the geocaching site uses? When I'm out and about and want to find a nearby cache, it's a pain to change the settings on my gps to get the right numbers to input!

Other than that the wap site works great!

Yeah, that is annoying. Why is it a different format than the main site?

It looks like the problem I'm having IS related to a new cache not having a log entry.

There were seven new caches launched in the same series yesterday. I get the previously mentioned error message on the ones that do not have a log. I can access the ones that do have a log with no problem.

Another interesting aspect is that this problem only occurs when I use the http://wap.geocaching.com/ site. I've been able to access the 'no log' caches using the http://rtr.ca/geo/ site.

Thanx, Tony