Newest Wap Interface

Jeremy

I'm using Sprint PCS Vision on a Sanyo SCP-4900

When i go to find caches, log a cache, or view a cache it says: No plug-in present to open file. Download?

When I choose "yes" on my phone, it waits quite a while, and then sends me to the Sprint PCS download manager homepage where I can download ring tones.

I can however:

1) Log in

2) Get to the Look up travel bug main page

Looks like I'll have to continue to use http://rtr.ca/geo for now.

Please let me know if you want me to test more with my phone.

Works like a drean in the wap-browser on a Nokia6600 on Telenor network.

A bit cluttered on the Opera web-browser on the same phone.

Opera on Windows looks great, and it displays and performs equally nice

in Lynx on SunOS.

Great work!

(but I still have to use the webbrowser to download spoiler pictures

to my phone...)

hbrx. :laughing:

WOW! I'll have to try logging my next in-town find with MY phone! :bad: I did notice a small problem using my Nokia 6010 on T-Mobile, however. Once logged on, the scrolling jumps from 'View Cache' to 'Log a Cache', skipping over 'Find Caches'. This happens using the 'arrow key' scroll mode, and can be remedied by switching to 'numeric key' scroll mode, but then I'm unable to enter text..........

NEVERMIND! The light just came on! I just figured out that I'm able to switch between scroll modes while connected. :laughing:

Thanks for the new capability!

I tried the WAP thing on my Motorola V400 cell phone (which is a relatively new model) and it works like a DREAM. This is one of the coolest things I've come across since...well since I came across geocaching.

I posted a test message on one of my own cache pages and it was there within a few seconds. The lookup function also worked great.

I can't wait to use this in the field! Thanks for this great feature! :o

Jim

Would it be possible to FIND A CACHE by searching for a city and state rather than using the zip code? When traveling this would be handy. I guess you could enter coords if you were in the area, but if you were heading that direction it would be nice to have the ability to do a search by city / state.

I've appeared to nail down my problem further.

Logging in and Travel bugs work because they actual links to pages.  What breaks in my phone is the javascript:__doPostBack stuff.

Anyone have any workarounds?

The wap site is developed using ASP.NET mobile forms. When the site is compiled, it is supposedly done (we don't have control over how it gets compiled) so that it will spit out the display code (html, wml, etc.) in the form that best suits your mobile device. Unfortunately, since there are hundreds, if not thousands of different mobile devices out there, it becomes difficult to perfectly develop any kind of intensive wap platform without ending up with a few phones that still don't work.

That being said, here are some suggestions to try out if you run into trouble. If your phone has a setting for allowing cookies and/or javascript, I would recommend that you turn those settings on. If your phone can't run javascript, you are likely going to be out of luck until we decide to come up with a javascript-less solution for future release. Also, sometimes phones get bogged down with a lot of temp files in the phone's browser history, so I would clear out cookies and temp files before running the application. I've found some success with my sony ericsson by doing that.

If you're having troubles with connecting to wap.geocaching.com site on your phone after all that, I'd suggest posting a response to this thread that contains your phone model, brand and any additional info you can come up with, and we'll try our best to incorporate those models into our next release.

Thanks for your patience! :)

Using my Motorola T721 with AT&T mMode, I can search for and read cache pages fine. But I cannot "log in" in order to post finds or notes.

When submiting name and password, I am asked "Fetch redirected URL?" Answering NO gives me "t.aspx?...redir=1 Page Cannot Be Displayed". Answering "YES" gives me "t.aspx?... redir...500 Internal server error." Then, Logged Out.

One thing that comes to mind is that my user name on GC.com has both upper and lower case letters, but my phone (when inputting name and password to wap.geocaching.com) will only allow entering in lower case. Using only lower case on the regular GC.com website still works.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have the Treo 600/Palm OS/Blazer Browser/Sprint (fast & unlimited data). For the past year or so, I've been using it to log-on to GC.com in the field (non-WAP) to lookup caches, log finds, travel bugs, etc. Very cool. But for the past 2/3 weeks I can not log-on GC.com. It let's me enter the username & password the same. But when the next screen comes-up, it says that I am still not logged-in. Is this related to the new WAP features?

FWIW About a month ago, my Treo 600 was exchanged under warranty, due to a cell/voice problem.

Feature Suggestion(Cross-posted):

Can you make it so that when you search "nearest caches" from a cache page that it automatically filters the caches you own/found. It is a natural. I.E. I'm out at a cache-site and just finished logging a find, Now I need to see the next closest unfound cache from where I am at now. That would be super fantastically useful. Trying to do this manually is very difficult, is time consuming and a waste of precious mobile bandwidth.

Thanks

PKPaul.

I have the Treo 600/Palm OS/Blazer Browser/Sprint (fast & unlimited data).  For the past year or so, I've been using it to log-on to GC.com in the field (non-WAP) to lookup caches, log finds, travel bugs, etc.  Very cool.  But for the past 2/3 weeks I can not log-on GC.com.  It let's me enter the username & password the same.  But when the next screen comes-up, it says that I am still not logged-in.  Is this related to the new WAP features? 

FWIW About a month ago, my Treo 600 was exchanged under warranty, due to a cell/voice problem.

The WAP site draws from the same data and uses some of the same code, but it is its own entity and is not likely the cause of your recent troubles. If you go to geocaching.com with your Treo, you will see the actual geocaching site, you won't be redirected to the wap site. We've purposely kept the two separate so that people can make their own choice about which site to visit with their portable device.

I'm using Sprint PCS Vision on a Sanyo SCP-4900

When i go to find caches, log a cache, or view a cache it says: No plug-in present to open file. Download?

When I choose "yes" on my phone, it waits quite a while, and then sends me to the Sprint PCS download manager homepage where I can download ring tones.

I can however:

1) Log in

2) Get to the Look up travel bug main page

Looks like I'll have to continue to use http://rtr.ca/geo for now.

Please let me know if you want me to test more with my phone.

I have the same problem and get the same error message on my Sanyo SCP-8100

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

I have the Treo 600/Palm OS/Blazer Browser/Sprint (fast & unlimited data).  For the past year or so, I've been using it to log-on to GC.com in the field (non-WAP) to lookup caches, log finds, travel bugs, etc.  Very cool.  But for the past 2/3 weeks I can not log-on GC.com.  It let's me enter the username & password the same.  But when the next screen comes-up, it says that I am still not logged-in.  Is this related to the new WAP features? 

The WAP site draws from the same data and uses some of the same code, but it is its own entity and is not likely the cause of your recent troubles. If you go to geocaching.com with your Treo, you will see the actual geocaching site, you won't be redirected to the wap site. We've purposely kept the two separate so that people can make their own choice about which site to visit with their portable device.

Well I was able to log-in to the Groundspeak forums without any problems on the Treo 600 PDA. I just did it now. Does that tell us something?

Also when I purposely enter the wrong password at GC.com I get the proper error message. So I can kind-of half log-in at GC.com but I can fully log-in at Groundspeak.

Using Sprint PCS and a Sanyo 8100, I'm also getting the same 'plug-in not present' message when trying to use any of the links on the wap site. The old wap site never had this problem, perhaps because of the drop-down box instead of links? Might www.geocaching.com/wap be updated with the newer features as well since it worked fine for the sprint users?

Logged a note to one of my caches as a test last Friday. Used my new Nokia 6620 while waiting for a plane at the Orange County airport. Haven't run through all the menus yet, but didn't notice any problems so far.

As I travel quite a bit, being able to look up by zipcode will be great, as well as being able to grab hints that I left in the car!

paul2tele

Using my Motorola T721 with AT&T mMode, I can search for and read cache pages fine. But I cannot "log in" in order to post finds or notes.

When submiting name and password, I am asked "Fetch redirected URL?" Answering NO gives me "t.aspx?...redir=1 Page Cannot Be Displayed".  Answering "YES" gives me "t.aspx?... redir...500 Internal server error." Then, Logged Out.

One thing that comes to mind is that my user name on GC.com has both upper and lower case letters, but my phone (when inputting name and password to wap.geocaching.com) will only allow entering in lower case. Using only lower case on the regular GC.com website still works.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having the exact same problem that Bob Rich is having, only I'm using a Motorola T720 with Cingular.

Anyone have an answer?

Tried a test log with my Motorola i90c (Nextel) and it works, though with caveats (perhaps?)

On my screen, it looks like this (sample, not exact)

[Find a Cache]
   [Log a Cache]

[Link]       [Link]

The "Links" at the bottom are for my 2 "select" buttons on my phone. Usually, one of them will say "Go", and the other "Link", "Back", nothing, etc.

I was able to get it to work by highlighting "Find a cache" (again, just as an example), and then pushing the left-side "Link" button, which brought me to a second page:

[Go]
   [Back]

[Go]   [Back]

By highlighting the "go" in the options list and then pressing my left-side select button (now optioned to "go"), I was able to proceed to the next page as expected.

Is this WAD, or a possible peculiarity to my phone model?

Just curious.. Otherwise, I like it, will have to try it in the field sometime.

I have the Treo 600/Palm OS/Blazer Browser/Sprint (fast & unlimited data). For the past year or so, I've been using it to log-on to GC.com in the field (non-WAP) to lookup caches, log finds, travel bugs, etc. Very cool. But for the past 2/3 weeks I can not log-on GC.com. It let's me enter the username & password the same. But when the next screen comes-up, it says that I am still not logged-in. Is this related to the new WAP features?

Thanks

PKPaul.

I found the answer to my own question and it can pertain to anyone using a Palm OS with web browser. The issue was a corrupt Palm Blazer file called "web cookies". A hard reset will fix it, sometimes. In my case, I had to use a freeware utility called FileZ v6.2. See http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml or Google "FileZ". I used it to locate and delete the cookie file remnants (the Palm OS was not able to see the file without the utility) and then delete it. Hope this helps others. PK

I have the Treo 600/Palm OS/Blazer Browser/Sprint (fast & unlimited data). ...

Same here and it generally works well near urban areas or highways where there is data service, although the web pages are slow to load. I tested the WAP interface when it first came out with success and recently used it in real-time as I was walking back from finding caches--fast and about as easy as making notes in CacheMate.

Your cookie problem is a downside to the Blazer browser which seems to get corrupted easily and has no feature to edit individual cookies. I keep a clean backup file for those situations so I don't have to re-log-on all the sites I normally visit, although Geocaching.com is unique in that it often forgets me from session-to-session no matter what system I am on.

Edited by bigeddy

At http://wap.geocaching.com I get an error with the new Motorola V710 (have had two of these now, and have had same problem with each. My dog ate the first one! ;) )

The first menu displays ok.

From each menu choice of "View, Find Caches, and Log a Cache" I get the following error message:

--------------------------------

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

Invalid length for a Base 64

char array.

Method:FromBase64String

Partial Stack Trace:

at System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s)

at System.Web.UI.LosFormatter.Deserialize(String input)

at System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()

at System.Web.UI.PageLoadPageViewState()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

(Note the above Partial Stack Trace was the error sample from the "Find Caches" menu choice.)

My Motorola V710 has software version 8700_01.30.8F, on the Detroit/Toledo Verizon CDMA 1X network, using the Openwave 6.2.3.2.156 (MOT-8700_/00.62) Universal Edition, WAP 2 browser via

Verizon's portal.

However the site mentioned elsewhere in this thread of http://rtr.ca/geo seems to work fine so far.

Hope that helps.

Edited by RyckZ
At http://wap.geocaching.com I get an error with the new Motorola V710 (have had two of these now, and have had same problem with each. My dog ate the first one! :o )

From each menu choice of "View, Find Caches, and Log a Cache" I get the following error message:

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

char array.

Partial Stack Trace:

(Note the above Partial Stack Trace was the error sample from the "Find Caches" menu choice.)

My Motorola V710 has software version 8700_01.30.8F, on the Detroit/Toledo Verizon CDMA 1X network, using the Openwave 6.2.3.2.156 (MOT-8700_/00.62) Universal Edition, WAP 2 browser via

Verizon's portal.

However the site mentioned elsewhere in this thread of http://rtr.ca/geo seems to work fine so far.

Hope that helps.

UPDATE:

http://rtr.ca/geo does NOT completely work for me.

I can log into GC using this portal, however as soon as I attempt a function that requires me to logged in, it says I need to log in first.

The rtr.com site owner tells me that there must be a cookie issue with either my phone or with Verizon, as he can see the logs of me successfully logging in. However my subsequent page requests do not pass the login cookie information.

Could this cookie issue be the problem of why some people can not use wap.geocaching.com also?

Works great with my Samsung SPH-A460

Now if someone can tell me how to bookmark this page in my phone.....

1. Navigate to the desired website

2. Press and hold Menu to display the BROWSER MENU

3. Press 4 for Mark Site

4. Press OK to save the Bookmark

5. Press OK to exit the menu and return to the website.

Hope that helps

<_<

JT

I recently got internet access on my phone (I'm with the orange guy), and When I go to wap.geocaching.com (the wireless phone version of gc.com), it shows a menu of "find a cache" "sign log" "find TB". etc, but when I select any of these, it gives me an error, the same one stated in the post above...Is this just me, just the orange guy, or just gc.com? I use an LG1400 phone, btw.

It looks I forgot to mention that my provided was Verizon. in the Detroit/Toledo market.

The owner of http://rtr.ca/geo monitored my attempt to login via his site, and he said the problem looked like my phone or my provider was not handling cookes properly.

This could also be why nothing works for me at http://wap.geocaching.com .

So if anyone else in the Detroit/Toledo Verizon market can use these services without a problem, it would be great to know, so I can start blaming my actual cell phone. (Motorola V710)

Ryck

I just got a new cell phone thru Verizon Wireless this weekend, a LG VX7000 (cool phone), so I thought I'd try out this new wap interface feature. I tested it by logging a note to one of my own caches. It worked like a charm. Thanks Jeremy for adding more fun to this great sport. I'm sure I will be using this feature quite often.

At http://wap.geocaching.com I get an error with the new Motorola V710 (have had two of these now, and have had same problem with each. My dog ate the first one!  :blink:  )

SERVER ERROR in /

System.FormatException

char array.

Partial Stack Trace:

Verizon's portal.

Hope that helps.

UPDATE:

http://rtr.ca/geo does NOT completely work for me.

I can log into GC using this portal, however as soon as I attempt a function that requires me to logged in, it says I need to log in first.

The rtr.com site owner tells me that there must be a cookie issue with either my phone or with Verizon, as he can see the logs of me successfully logging in. However my subsequent page requests do not pass the login cookie information.

Could this cookie issue be the problem of why some people can not use wap.geocaching.com also?

Apparently the Motorola v710 wasn't listed by Microsoft as a compatible phone for the ASP.NET mobile forms, so we had to add some code on our end that hopefully will force it to work. The specifics (for those who care) are laid out at the bottom of this forum thread from www.asp.net:

http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?ta...1&PostID=736723

Unfortunately, none of us here have a v710, nor can we find an emulator with which to test the fix, so hopefully someone like Rycks can help us out in that department.

The leftover short description problem that someone mentioned above is also fixed now. You'll be able to see that change in the next minor update, which will likely be sometime this afternoon.

Hope that helps! :grin:

Edited by bootron
Samsung v205 returns only the error message "Not Acceptable".

LazyK - Dan

I have Samsung S105 and when I try http://wap.geocaching.com I get the exact same error message as LazyK does

"Not Acceptable"

I've also tried http://www.geocaching.com/wap and while that works from a regular browser it does not work with a WAP browser.

http://rtr.ca/geo site works well with my Samsung S105 for viewing caches but like others here it accept my login request but if I try to log a cache it says I have to login first.

On my Sanyo 4920 using SprintPCS, I got to the main http://wap.geocaching.com page just fine and was able to login, but the cache search page link results in "No plugin present to open file".

The phone suggests downloading the plugin, but I have no idea what it is looking for. I think it is probably confused with the javascript or the .aspx URL extension in those links.

-B3Fiend

Ditto for me. Asks for a plug in. I'm able to log in, but can view, search, etc... :(

I'm on a Sanyo RL-4920 using Sprint as well.

Edited by FullOn

works on the lg vx6100 using verizon.

short explination of issues: i am using a free public proxy server as to avoid premium charges on verizon wap. as such, i origionally used www.google.com/wml as my homepage on the phone. from there, there is a place where you can enter a URL. when i tried to enter the geocaching url from there, i would get the wap page but it was all messed up. when i used geocaching.com/wap as the home page and went there directly, it worked fine. go figure...

WOW! I'll have to try logging my next in-town find with MY phone! :rolleyes: I did notice a small problem using my Nokia 6010 on T-Mobile, however. Once logged on, the scrolling jumps from 'View Cache' to 'Log a Cache', skipping over 'Find Caches'. This happens using the 'arrow key' scroll mode, and can be remedied by switching to 'numeric key' scroll mode, but then I'm unable to enter text..........

NEVERMIND! The light just came on! I just figured out that I'm able to switch between scroll modes while connected. <_<

Thanks for the new capability!

I'm also experiencing this with a 6010 on a Cingular network It's strange that on my computer browser the choices are all vertical like this:

Select one:

View Cache

Find Caches

Log a Cache

Travel Bug Lookup

but on the phone it appears like this:

Select one:

View Cache Find Caches

Log a Cache

Travel Bug Lookup

This causes a problem, well an annoyance really. Instead of just being able to vertical scroll with the up down buttons, I now have to set the phone up to use the numbers 4 and 6 on the keypad to horizontal scroll in order to be able to choose the "Find Caches" link. Naturally since the 4 and 6 are now used for horizontal scrolling, entering coordinates or zip codes are not possible without going into the setup to switch back to vertical scrollbar only mode.

I'm not sure how to fix this, maybe an extra break character or something to put the "Find Caches" on its own line. Vertical scrolling jumps from "View cache" to "Log a cache", bypassing "Find caches"

Other than that it seems to work fine. It would be nice to be able to filter out your own finds someday, but for now this is pretty cool.

Great! It seems to work fine now. on my Motorola V710.

When I have more time, I'll try to run through all the functions as a better test.

I should also have access to a new Motorola V3 Razr (GSM) phone with Cingular in a day or so. I'll try check out wap.geocaching.com on it also.

Thanks for all the detective work.

Interesting side note. Some other sites that I have trouble accessing from Verizon's wap homepage, work fine if set them up on my phone as a Web Session first, and make the site the home page for that Session. One example was wap.jiwire.com if anyone else wants to give it a test too.

RyckZ

I have tried earlier with Nokia and Ericsson phones, but today I bought a brand new Siemens MC60, and I can surf to wap.geocaching.com but when I try to log on do I get:

Server Error in /

System.Exception The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit.

Method: OnViewStateExpire

Plus a second page with a lot of "Partial Stack..." messages...

This is the same error message I got with the Nokia and Ericsson phones also..

Do anyone have a suggestion what to do?

Edited by hedberg
Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

I can use the features that don't require login. But every try to log in I've tried over the last two days comes back with "500: Internal Server Error" message. I'm using a Motorola V600 phone on the T-Mobile Network.

I am able to log in if I go to rtr.ca/geo via my phone, but not to wap.geocaching.com .

Discovered this yesterday when I wanted to do some geocaching while shopping down in an area I'm not usually at. My PDA died on me (took too long to recharge, and lost the memory) so I had to look for an alternative to GPXSonar, which is what I usually use. The phone worked great! Not as fast as a PDA, but nice to know it's there for those spur of the moment trips.

Let me know if your phone doesn't work with it. We tried it with a multitude of mobile phone simulators, but I'm sure we missed a couple.

I can use the features that don't require login. But every try to log in I've tried over the last two days comes back with "500: Internal Server Error" message. I'm using a Motorola V600 phone on the T-Mobile Network.

I am able to log in if I go to rtr.ca/geo via my phone, but not to wap.geocaching.com .

Discovered this yesterday when I wanted to do some geocaching while shopping down in an area I'm not usually at. My PDA died on me (took too long to recharge, and lost the memory) so I had to look for an alternative to GPXSonar, which is what I usually use. The phone worked great! Not as fast as a PDA, but nice to know it's there for those spur of the moment trips.

If you have "WEB SESSIONS" available on your V600, try a technique that worked for my with my V710 on the Verizon network. I went to WEB SESSIONS and made a new session by copying the original Verizon session. Then I edited the address for this new session to be the new site I wanted to visit. This worked for me for the JiWire, at wap.jiwire.com, and a couple others. Since I used this method AFTER, geocaching.com changed their code, the wap.geocaching.com worked both ways for me for it.

If you have "WEB SESSIONS" available on your V600, try a technique that worked for my with my V710 on the Verizon network. I went to WEB SESSIONS and made a new session by copying the original Verizon session. Then I edited the address for this new session to be the new site I wanted to visit. This worked for me for the JiWire, at wap.jiwire.com, and a couple others. Since I used this method AFTER, geocaching.com changed their code, the wap.geocaching.com worked both ways for me for it.

Rick - thanks for the suggestion, though I'm not quite sure how that would help with a login issue. If I understand it right you'd just be opening a 2nd browser session, similar to what you can do with internet explorer?

Anyway, I don't see an option for "web sessions" on my phone, at lease while connected to wireless internet. Thanks anyway!