What Does The "proximity" Of A Waypoint Do?

Huga

In Mapsource there's an option for the proximity of a waypoint....what does it do?

Is it possible, for example, to have proximities set for waypoints, and for the GPS to flash up a message when coming within the proximity circle of any waypoint (useful for speed cameras)?

I have a Garmin eTrext Vista, BTW...

You're talking the older Vista right? not the C?

I checked the manual and didn't see the proximity alert feature being available. Mine only pops up the 'arriving at destination' which probably isn't exactly what you are looking for.

My other GPS does have it and can get down to 0.01 miles.

Not sure about the speed camera reference.

Edit: Update,

The VistaC does have the proximity feature.

Edited by Elf Danach

I don't think that the proximity would be especially useful for speed cameras, unless you set it up with a large enough proximity area to account for the largest possible EPE, which would then have you slowing down considerably farther ahead of the camera than you would need to. Still... an interesting idea... ;)

What a great concept. I just read the entry in my 76CS manual and found the proximity is used toi avoid waypoints. I had though to use it as a "hey you're getting close" signal. The more I use it, the more I like it!

Yep, I'm trying to think of some game to play with them. You could share a file of waypoints that people would agree not to look at the settings.

Maybe something like having to traverse an area without setting one off, or like battleship where do try to find them. The playing field could be huge.

(just thinking out loud)

What a great concept. I just read the entry in my 76CS manual and found the proximity is used toi avoid waypoints. I had though to use it as a "hey you're getting close" signal. The more I use it, the more I like it!

Yep, I'm trying to think of some game to play with them. You could share a file of waypoints that people would agree not to look at the settings.

Maybe something like having to traverse an area without setting one off, or like battleship where do try to find them. The playing field could be huge.

(just thinking out loud)

I think you're on to something here ED.... I haven't read quite that far into the manual for m 76CS... do some of the pre-installed games use this feature too? Wonders aloud... ;)

(just thinking out loud)

I think you're on to something here ED.... I haven't read quite that far into the manual for m 76CS... do some of the pre-installed games use this feature too? Wonders aloud... ;)

Kind of. some of the games have a 'field' and expect you to hit certain points like to grab flags or walk through a maze.

Nibbons is ok, you have to get to a flag point while being chased by skulls and you have a growing tail you can't crossback over.

I'm sure anyone watching would think you were a wacko running in circles for no apparent reason. :D

You could use this for a multi maybe where you download a loc file and the finder needs to get close to something and read a number and when they have all the numbers it would give the cords for the final hiding spot of the cache.

:rolleyes:

ooooh, yeah. The gears are turning.

I think I'll have to start another thread.

I found a cache where the cache was "so" far from wp1, "so" far from wp2, "so" far from wp3. (It did not give specific distances as I recall, but each were different). I used my proximity circles to intersect where the final was. I got within about 15'.

ALSO, some Garmin models have proximity circles on the map screen. Other just give you an alarm at a set distance, but no graphics. My Map76 has circles. My Garmin12 does not.

Edited by EraSeek