Bear Attack

MedicOne

This was printed in the September 6th Edition of the Spokesman Review in Spokane Washington. Some lessons to be learned here.

Jackson Wyoming – A mountain biker on Togwotee Pass fought off a grizzly bear that repeatedly charged him until a companion drove the animal off with pepper spray.

Kirk Speckhals escaped his encounter without a scratch; he had only four dirt marks from the bear’s claws on his forearm, a punctured bicycle tire and a bent rim.

He said he hopes others learn from mistakes he made during his ride around Pinnacle Buttes – including not making enough noise to warn bears, not riding together, and not carrying pepper spray.

Speckhals, 46, and companion Tom Foley, said the grizzly was persistent and backed away only when there was about a second’s worth of spray left in the can of deterrent.

Speckhals gave credit to Foley, who carried his can of spray on his hip, for saving his life.

“I was on the ground with the bear on top of me, “Speckhals said. “I was waiting for a bone-crunching bite. I was ready to die.”

Speckhals and Foley said the day started innocently enough when they left for the loop ride on Aug. 29 with another friend, Mark Wolling, near Brooks Lake. The route traverses a couple of passes on the Shoshone National Forest at the 9,500 foot level.

The area is near the Teton and Washakie wilderness areas and core grizzly habitat in the Yellowstone ecosystem.

Speckhals, a ski patroller and quality controller with a construction company, said he had ridden the loop several times before but had never carried bear spray.

Before taking off, Foley offered his extra can of spray. Wolling took it, figuring if anybody got in trouble, it was more likely to be him since he was bringing along a dog.

Speckhals said he had been ringing his bicycle bell at regular intervals to warn bears of his approach. As he climbed to the second pass of the trip, he pulled away from his companions and stopped making his regular warning.

Speckhals said he crested a rise and heard a noise he knew meant trouble. “In the woods, 300 feet away, hew was in full charge, coming right at me,” he said. “No question the bear was a grizzly,” Speckhals said.

“I got off my bike and put it in front of me and started yelling ‘Bear! Bear!” he said. Foley, some distance back, heart the cries but could not see the confrontation. Wolling was father behind. “All of a sudden I heard ‘Bear! BEAAAR!!!’ “ he said. Foley said, “Whoa God I better get up there,” he thought.

From the screams and sounds of the struggle, Foley realized Speckhals was wrestling with a bear. Said Speckhals: “I lunged my bike out at him and yelled and he stopped.” The bear moved in again. He charged “six or seven times, “Speckhals said, each time deterred at the last moment by the bicycle. “Finally, he grabbed my bike out of my hands, “Speckhals said. “He started stomping on it.”

With the bear distracted, Speckhals started creeping away but the bear immediately left the bike and pt its front paws on Speckhals. IN a Greco-Roman wrestling stance, Speckhals sensed he was going down. “This time he just took me out – drug me to the ground, “he said. “I Knew I was in trouble. I rotated and got on my chest.”

Foley arrived to see the bear sitting atop his friend. “Immediately, I knew I had to get over there, see what I could do,” he said. With pepper spray drawn, he advanced to within 15 feet and fired. The bear got off his friend but turned and began circling Foley who was still spraying in the animal’s face. “That’s when I got scared, “Foley said, adding that the bear’s eyes were very large. “They were full of bear spray – not a blink.” The bear continued to circle as Foley backed up, yelling for Wolling, Foley’s can of spray was running low. “I knew I was almost out,” he said.

By now Wolling had made it to the site along with the dog and fumbled with his pack trying to find the second can of spray. The dog rushed up, barked twice, then retreated down the trail “as fast as his little legs could move him,” Wolling said.

With perhaps a second’s worth of spray left, Foley tried a new tactic. He yelled at the bear at the top of his lungs. “I could tell his eyes changed,” Foley said. “I knew it was over. All of a sudden he took off.” Speckhals said he didn’t see any cubs and doesn’t know whether the bear was male or female. Both Speckhals and Wolling said they’re likely headed to a store to buy their own cans of bear spray. They recommend larger cans, like the one Foley had, rather than small varieties a couple of inches tall that appears more useful against a human attacker. “You want the big can, “Speckhals said.

What a scary story! I'm full worries, and hiking in grizzly country is one of them. Where I live, there are thankfully no grizzlies, no rattlesnakes; but there are cougars, some of whom are becoming more agressive towards humans.

I have a large can of bear spray which was originally purchased for hiking near Banff, but when it expired I replaced it for geocaching security. I actually have a shoulder holster to wear it in, but normally feel stupid about doing that---I hope if I meet a cougar it stalks me long enough for me to get prepared, rather than just jumping on my back and crunching my neck. At any rate, it's given me the peace of mind, as a usually single older female alone in the woods--to go places I might otherwise worry about.

Uh, yeah, don't sneak up behind me and say "boo'. I'll spray the heck out of you.

Glad everybody in this story survived. Grizzlies scare me. I've met little black bears on the east coast, and they don't worry me a bit, but grizzlies.........

Yep Grizzlies and Blacks are coming to the lowlands...one black bear ar9ound Shelby which is 20-some miles east of Cut Bank.

Saw a Grizzly week ago on Saturday up in Glacier. Adena was with me and I spotted it along the road. We got out and took pics. Looking back mabye that wasn't the smartest thing to do since we didn't have pepper spray with us.

After taking pics of it, I turned my back and back to the truck only to turn around it see it angle kinda towards us,but into the bushes at a leisurely pace. It didn't seem afraid of us.

I will be sure to pick up the large ones. Thanks for the tip on that.

PIcs are posted in the Off Topic forums....mine regarding wildlife sightings.

Wow. Makes me want to get those flatproof tires for my bike. Something more to chew on. Other then me.

And TotemLake, Why not on a person? After all if they are willing to use whatever force is needed to subdue me, I will use whatever it takes to not be a victim.

And in the words of my 5 year old Grandson - "He started it."

Glad to see in this case, everything turned out right.

logscaler.

Is bear pepper spray different from ordinary pepper spray?

My can of pepper spray is 8.5 ounces. It's not like one of the little keychain things you can carry around, it's 8 or 9 inches high. It's called Counter Assault, and it says right on the canister that it is not to be used on humans.

However, if I was in the woods being attacked by a human, I wouldn't think twice.

I'm surprised, I can't find an expiration date on this can, the first one had a very definite one.

A couple of things to keep in mind~if it's raining, or if the wind is blowing the wrong direction, you're S%$#-out -of- luck.

Plus, the darn thing has a safety lock on it, and in an emergency, there's little chance I'd remember how to operate it.

But, it does give me the confidence to go where I might otherwise not. Maybe an illusion, but I'll take it.

And TotemLake, Why not on a person? After all if they are willing to use whatever force is needed to subdue me, I will use whatever it takes to not be a victim.

I stand corrected. Based on your query, I went back to look for what I thought I saw as a warning against using bear pepper spray against people and couldn't find it. There's just more of it to deter a bear.

Fwiw, established guidelines recommend the following minimum to be effective:

• minimum weight 7.9 oz.
  • % Capsaicin & Other Capsaicinoids 1-2%
  • Megaphone Shaped Cloud
  • Minimum Range 25 ft - wind disipation can reduce this by 1/3-1/2
  • Time of Continuous Spray 6 seconds or more - for more than one bear or more than one charge, rain and cold weather can reduce the effectiveness
  • Must Be EPA Registered with a number

Is bear pepper spray different from ordinary pepper spray?

My can of pepper spray is 8.5 ounces. It's not like one of the little keychain things you can carry around, it's 8 or 9 inches high. It's called Counter Assault, and it says right on the canister that it is not to be used on humans.

However, if I was in the woods being attacked by a human, I wouldn't think twice.

I'm surprised, I can't find an expiration date on this can, the first one had a very definite one.

A couple of things to keep in mind~if it's raining, or if the wind is blowing the wrong direction, you're S%$#-out -of- luck.

Plus, the darn thing has a safety lock on it, and in an emergency, there's little chance I'd remember how to operate it.

But, it does give me the confidence to go where I might otherwise not. Maybe an illusion, but I'll take it.

According to their website, it's supposed to be a 4 year shelf life.

These products do cause respiratory distress, so if you're going to use it on a person keep that in mind... people generally don't need the full 8 second shot to deter them.

Look, I go caching alone, and I'm a 46 year old woman, or I go with my 6 year old son. I am not into guns. Sorry, just is.

But I do feel safer with a huge can of pepper spray with me. It says right on the canister to not use it on humans, but if someone is attacking me, or my sweet child, wouldn't I? Uh.......you betcha..

Bears, people, dogs....Based on an incident over the weekend GCJQ01 I am wondering what is the best way to go. Even with Pepper Spray, I'm not sure that I would have been able to get it in use soon enough without inflicting the same pain to our own pets. A gun would have worked but then one has to deal with the owners of dead dogs.

The bottomline is that whatever is going to happen is going to happen faster than most folks can think. One needs to be thinking about the possibilities, actions and outcome before the need arises then instincts may be backed with some knowledge.

Edited by runhills
Bears, people, dogs....Based on an incident over the weekend GCJQ01 I am wondering what is the best way to go. Even with Pepper Spray, I'm not sure that I would have been able to get it in use soon enough without inflicting the same pain to our own pets. A gun would have worked but then one has to deal with the owners of dead dogs.

The bottomline is that whatever is going to happen is going to happen faster than most folks can think. One needs to be thinking about the possibilities, actions and outcome before the need arises then instincts may be backed with some knowledge.

don't store the pepper spray in a pack. Won't do you any good. Need to wear it on belt clip or someplace where you can get to it quickly.

Look, I go caching alone, and I'm a 46 year old woman, or I go with my 6 year old son. I am not into guns. Sorry, just is.

But I do feel safer with a huge can of pepper spray with me. It says right on the canister to not use it on humans, but if someone is attacking me, or my sweet child, wouldn't I? Uh.......you betcha..

Relax... I wasn't criticizing.

Og's carries bear pepper-spray, so from now on I only hike with her!

I really need to read the forums more often. I done got mentioned :rolleyes:

I carry UDAP pepper spray. You can read about HERE.

Actually my husband bought the spray for a backcountry trip. I carry it in case I need to deter anyone or anything that might bother me. I makes me feel safer out there.

Og

Fwiw, established guidelines recommend the following minimum to be effective:

• minimum weight 7.9 oz.
  • % Capsaicin & Other Capsaicinoids 1-2%
  • Megaphone Shaped Cloud
  • Minimum Range 25 ft - wind disipation can reduce this by 1/3-1/2
  • Time of Continuous Spray 6 seconds or more - for more than one bear or more than one charge, rain and cold weather can reduce the effectiveness
  • Must Be EPA Registered with a number

I wanted to see if I meet the minimum requirements. Let's see...

• Weight - 300grain hollow point

• % Capsaicin - 0%, I use a lead substitute

• Megaphone Shaped Cloud - close, mushroom shaped projectile

• Minimum Range 25 ft - Got that covered, easily 100yds

• Time of Continuous Spray 6 seconds or more - Depends how many speed loaders you carry.

• Must Be EPA Registered with a number - I am registered, but not with EPA

One thing is for sure, if I survive the attack, the bear will never attack another hiker/biker/camper again, and I like my odds a lot better than if I was carrying pepper spray.

A note on pepper spray, if you ever use it at all throw the can away and never take it with you again. It acts as an attractant to bears.

As a back country hiker in Alaska I keep my industrial strength size of Counter Assult on me at all times. I would keep a .357 but I go into Denali often and firearms are not allowed in the park. That is the only place I have run into a grizzly too. I'm new to GC and really looking forward to it. I'm just waiting for my gps to come in the mail!

niskibum, I think your "packing" :laughing: the right equipment for any trail you wanna walk on, be it in or out of town.

And from what a cousin of mine tells me, in Alaska all you need is a hiking "partner" and a .22. At the first sign of trouble, use the .22 to shoot them in the knee :D and they can't out run you! :P

I have been thinking about getting a cattle prod and making a walking stick out of it. That way, you just have to reach out and "touch" someone and it's all over but the screaming. And I can walk away from that.

logscaler.

Not a bad idea Logscaler, but how about going a step farther and getting one of those "bang sticks" they use for sharks? I think they hold a 12 gauge shell, and when you hit the attacker it discharges and turns it's insides to jelly. You would have to make sure it had a really dependable safety on it for sure.

Maybe we have struck on paydirt here. A hiking stick with a variable setting stun gun, a "just playing around" setting for using on muggers, and a "hell is coming to breakfast" setting for Grizz. with a 12 gauge bangstick option in case the bear(or mugger) doesn't get the message with a zap. I bet it would sell, especially with the anti-gun crowd.

cattle prod fun!

Edited by niskibum

One thing to keep in mind with various types of OC spray is that it is not a cure all. I have seen huge grown men turn into crying little girls with just the shortest little blast, and small mentally ill guys that a whole can didn't affect.. It may work, it may not. Same with animals.

I have heard that Counter Assualt is good.

My agency uses/issues Fox Labs which is the industry leader right now.

http://www.foxlabs.com/

The 1lb "crowd control" is an awesome device. :blink: Stay away from keychain devices, the small amount of propellant makes them ineffective rather quickly and can go dead even when not used due to residual leakage.

If you are concerned about wind at all consider the stream units.

MSSP

Speaking of the dinner bell... Could you pass the pepper spray please?

From KIRO TV

Bear Pays A Visit During Family's Dinner

POSTED: 12:41 pm PDT September 28, 2004

UPDATED: 1:32 pm PDT September 28, 2004

CENTRALIA, Wash. -- Guess who's coming to dinner in Centralia?

One family there was stunned to find a bear trying to get in right at dinnertime.

He came to the window of their house on Barner Drive in Centralia Monday night as they were having dinner.

He banged on the dining room window in an unsuccessful try to get in.

The family called police, who found the bear, but they didn't want to open fire in a neighborhood and he got away.

Wildlife agents are now trying to trap him.

Funny, I just caught something on Animal Planet last week, featuring Colin Mochrie, about surviving animal attacks, and it had a segment on bear attacks. One thing I remember is that black bears and brown bears need to be handled differently. Can't remember which, but one of the types is best handled by standing your ground and acting like a formidable opponent. I have a feeling that the yell was exactly what was needed in this case, more so than the pepper spray.

Og's carries bear pepper-spray, so from now on I only hike with her!

I really need to read the forums more often. I done got mentioned :rolleyes:

I carry UDAP pepper spray. You can read about HERE.

Actually my husband bought the spray for a backcountry trip. I carry it in case I need to deter anyone or anything that might bother me. I makes me feel safer out there.

Og

with those bi-ceps, why bother? :rolleyes:

Funny, I just caught something on Animal Planet last week, featuring Colin Mochrie, about surviving animal attacks, and it had a segment on bear attacks. One thing I remember is that black bears and brown bears need to be handled differently. Can't remember which, but one of the types is best handled by standing your ground and acting like a formidable opponent. I have a feeling that the yell was exactly what was needed in this case, more so than the pepper spray.

From what I've read, you want to fight back if attacked by a black bear. When they attack, they are interested in having you for dinner. Brown's will often attack to show you who is boss and fighting back just pisses them off.

From what I've read, you want to fight back if attacked by a black bear. When they attack, they are interested in having you for dinner. Brown's will often attack to show you who is boss and fighting back just pisses them off.

True! Grizzlies and Brown bears (west coast species of Grizzly and are typically much larger)...if attacked...try playing dead first. Roll up and cover extremes.

Black Bears...fight back. They are more likely to eat you. Keep chewing/clawing even if you play dead. I've read and heard this.

Good news is that black bears usually will go the other way when you see them though.

Same thing for mountain lions...fight back.

***however, having said that, realize that all bears are unpredictable adn you might have to eventually fight back regardless of the species. Best thing is to make your presence known while hiking and do all the necessary precautions...bear spray, eat/cook separate away from camp, hang food, etc.

Perhaps this should be posted new as Bear Victimized - but I'll put it here instead as an fyi... even Bellevue is prone to a bear sighting now and then.

From KIROTV.COM

Bear Hit By Car In Bellevue

POSTED: 6:19 am PDT October 7, 2004

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- A black bear trying to cross a busy street was struck by a car and later euthanized by state Fish and Wildlife agents.

The bear was struck by a Jeep Cherokee Tuesday morning during rush-hour traffic on the Lake Hills Connector. He limped into nearby woods, where he was tracked by the agents.

The bear was around 2- or 3-years-old and weighed about 125 pounds, Wildlife Sgt. Tim Chandler said. The bear was badly injured and so was euthanized, Chandler said.

The bear was likely the only one around and not part of a family. There had been calls regarding a bear in the area earlier in the summer, Chandler said.

The Lake Hills Connector is a divided four-lane road that passes a wetlands area that could serve as perfect bear habitat, Chandler said.