Help! Pda + Mm

Cushag

I have an ipaq 2210 and have successfully downloaded a part of Memory Map into PDA on the SD card. I have also installed GPXsonar on PDA and with Gsak on PC and Pocket queries have almost all I need and they are working well. What I would like to do is to import waypoints into the MM on the PDA so I can see where they are. I have tried quite a few ideas from other people but I am still struggling. If anyone has done this please could they give me step by step instructions. I only need the waypoints I have at the moment in GPXsonar/Gask, about 30 of them.

Thanks

Go to GSAK on your main PC.. select the caches you want via the filter facility.. Now click File>Export>GPX/LOC and select a directory for it to go to.. Now, with the PDA connected via Activesync click "files" and "add" and then add the file you have just created. This will download it to the PDA.

That's it in it's basic form.. If you need any more help just holler, although I expect 20 people will respond to your plea..

If I understand it correctly, and piecing together from another thread, Cushag has got the GPX file into the PDA so that GXPsonar can read it, but wants to get them displayed in memory map.

I'm interested too as Iam thinking of getting MM and want to know if it is simple to get waypoints in.

Apart from putting in the waypoints by hand on PDA MM I have managed to download onto MM PDA map the waypoints from the GPS ,so if you have them already on GPS which is probably what you would do if you were after a cache you can just download from the GPS direct to PDA MM. Whew. Would still like to do it from file though. Have Magellan Sportrack which has connected very well.

Sorry... I've screwed things up.. I gave you the directions for GPXSonar..

OK.. sort your caches by the filter in GSAk... Now go Files>Export>MapTech Exchange Format MXF file. Once that has been produced on a directory of your choosing.. open MM on your PC and click Overlay>Import>(select file type .MXF) and choose the file you have produced. The waypoints should now appear on MM on your main PC.

Right... plug your PDA into the cradle.. on MM on the main PC click PDA>Export Data to PDA. This should whizz across quite quickly and when you next run MM on the PDA the waypoints should appear.

Sorry I screwd up earlier - it's old age!

Sorry for last night - I was half asleep! Hope it now works OK. You might like to check this out too for some interesting improvements:

GSAK-MM

Another thing you may not be familair with... PDAs do not fully close programmes when you click the X in the top righthand corner. So.. if you have been running MM and then download a waypoint file the waypoints probably won't appear on the maps. Top fix this, tap Start>Settings>System>Memory>Running Programmes now select Memory Map and tap "Stop". This should clear MM from the memory and next time yopu run it the symbols should appear OK.

Lastly, instead of loading in huge sections of maps just select the area you need on your main PC and then download it to the PDA using the command "Send Visible Map Portion to PDA".

Edited by Birders

A quick way to send map portions to PDA is by

Copying to card reader

Select map to copy to pda when Memory map reports the size of the file for transfer to the pda after using the menu

Option PDA > Send visible Chart Portion to Pda, leave that dialog open and switch to windows explorer.

The file swaitingto be transferred to the PDA are in a temporary folder,usually

\Windows\Temp\Memory-Map(or Memory-Map OS) on Windows 98 or \Documents and settings\username\local Settings\Temp\Memory-Map(Or Memory-Map OS) on W2K or XP

Select all the files and copy them to a card reader, then switch back to Memory Map and cancel the down load this will delete the files from the Temp folder

And the best way to close Memory Map is select Menu and exit this closes the program

fully

hope this might help a little

mel :)B)B)B)

<<Select map to copy to pda when Memory map reports the size of the file for transfer to the pda after using the menu

Option PDA > Send visible Chart Portion to Pda, leave that dialog open and switch to windows explorer.....>>

I don't have a card reader on my PC but have notice that MM has the facility to download to a card reader without having to go through the above procedure. After selecting the portion to send to the PDA a box appears offering the option of sending the file either to the PDA or to a storage card on the PC. I must get one of those fancy card readers!!

The tip about closing MM with "Exit" is a good one and much appreciated..

Okay, here goes.....

You can get the waypoint details from a GPX file stored on your PDA to your GPS (Garmin, Magellan) using a piece of free software called G7ToCE.

You basically open the GPX file on the PDA in G7ToCE and export all the waypoints to your GPSr. Once you have the waypoints on your GPSr, you can then import them in to Memory-Map on your PDA from your GPSr using the import option in Memory-Map.

Bingo!

Cushag,

I've returned from my Germany caching - I saw the thread when over there but didn't want to reply until I could check this!

If you have the waypoints visible on the PC version of MM, and the iPAQ in the cradle and connected to the PC, and MM running on the PDA, it's very simple.

1) On the PC: from "PDA" at the top, select "Export Data to PDA".

2) After a second or two you should see the waypoints on the PDA!

Unless I've misunderstood, I think that is all you need to do.

If you give me a call I'll demonstrate how to cope with various types of geocaching/ iPAQ situations: it works brilliantly and I never need paper. Also, even in Germany I was able to log caches directly to the Internet when out and about - and send e-mails to the cache owner for help in one case! The German waypoints were stored in Memory Map for easy transfer to the GPSr as well, despite there being no Memory Map for Germany.

Happy Humphrey.

Happy Humphrey

Interested in your posting, I would agree with you solution as I have the same set up and transfered waypoints/marks to MM on the PDA the same way.

What I was interested in was how you logged caches in the field. Iam using GPXSonar, I make notes in the field and when I get home just copy the notes I have made. But when away from home it would be great to be able to log Caches without being home, how do you do this?

:blink:

cheers

striderpaul

Striderpaul,

Logging of caches in the field is immensely useful when you're away for a few days. Even if you take notes during the day then update the logs in the evening, it's a lot more convenient than trying to find an Internet cafe (and there may not be one nearby) - and you can copy/paste the notes from the PDA into the cache logs (I always do a note, if only to record what was taken and left). Also, you can obtain a picture clue, or read the latest log, or get details of caches than you hadn't planned to visit. And so on... :blink:

Whether you can do it or not depends on the type of PDA and mobile phone. I use a Bluetooth link between an iPAQ 2210 and a Nokia 6310i. Although a little tricky to set up, this works superbly. I should think an XDA would work very well, as the phone and PDA are integrated, but I prefer having separate units.

HH

<<What I was interested in was how you logged caches in the field. Iam using GPXSonar,>>

I too would like to know! We use GPX Sonar and find it very useful for reading cache pages downloaded from GC.COM. However, other than that I simply cannot figure out how to use it. I don't even know how to loga cache as "found"! I have spent hours playing with it and if I select "help" all I get is a rotating graphic and nothing else. I bet someone, somewhere knows how to use it....

Bren & Ruth

I use GPXSonar, to log a cache as found, simply select the cache and hold the stylus on it, the graphic displays for a little while but keep the stylus on the selected cache, a menu will appear with Show Hints/Field Notes (the one you want)/Set as Centre/Ignore Cache/Ignore Caches By this Owner/View Online/Dismiss Menu.

When you select Field Notes it will have a drop don menu of Found It/Did Not Find it/Write A Note/Archive It. You can also Timestamp select TBs which will be displayed depending on when you ran Pocket Queries last.

Of course the logged find will not be displayed on the website until you log onto the net.

striderpaul

Thanks StriderPaul. I had found this facility but wonder why nothing appears in the "found" column in GPX Sonar? If you enter a note a little green blob appears under "notes" but nothing else..

I may have found a helpf file too.. on the web site if you click "help" you get transferred to a general site dealing with PDAs - very clever! However, hidden away amongst the almost illegible list on the front page is a link for some sort of documentation which I'm going to check later..

I wondered my self, but it seems the only time the tick will appear in the found column is when you have logged your find on the GC website and then downloaded the latest Pocket Queries search.

Unless anyone knows otherwise although you record it as Found it makes no difference to the display in GPXSonar, so I presume that you cannot update the GPX file you have downloaded from PQ.

:wacko:

striderpaul

I was logging my caches directly on geocaching.com, using Internet Exporer in case anyone is confused! Geocaching.com is not really designed for use on a PDA and there's lots of unnecessary repeated (and probably costly) loading of graphics so it would be great if a PDA version of the web site was available, with the basic cache page/logging features in a low-graphics format. You can turn off graphics, of course, which helps.

To answer Cushag's question on costs, I've yet to really get a clear idea of how much the charges tend to add up to. The charge is by Mb transferred, so you can leave the connection on for quite a while as long as you don't keep on downloading large pages.

HH

<<quite expensive using WAP >>

That's the catch! I'd rather wait until I got home and do it for "free". However, I never cease to be amazed at how many "open" WiFi networks there are. On many occasions I've switched on the PDA and readily accessed someone's network and checked something on the Internet.

Slowly, slowly I'm finding out how GPX Sonar works. I've now got it to transfer notes from the PDA to GSAK on the main PC. However, there appears to be some corruption in the files. Here's one I did earlier as it reads on GSAK. All I did on GPX Sonar was click "timestamp":

Date: 2004-09-13

Type: Found it.

Actual Coords: N 0° 0.000 E 0° 0.000

Text: ---(2004-09-12, 15:15:00)---

The "Text" refers to the timestamp but why does it corrupt the co-ordinates?

On the PDA, with GPX Sonar running, tap Tools>Export>Field Notes>To GSAK. When you do this it dumps a file called GsakNotes.txt into the directory \My Documents. Next time you use ActiveSync that file will be transferred to your PC into the directory "Documents and Settings" (you might have to do a search for it, as I did). Now, run GSAK and click File>Notes>Import and the notes will be attached to the relevant caches. Unfortunately they include weird text as mentioned above.