What does this mean?

USN Retired

Welcome aboard! It's very addicting, by the way. The waypoint numbers are for use when using EasyGPS to downlload wayponits into your GPS unit. They are an internal site number for organizing the waypoints (GC stands for GeoCache). Hope this helps, TikimanHSA

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

Here is additional info from the geocaching.com glossary:

quote:

waypoint

Waypoints are named coordinates representing points on the surface of the Earth.

Geocaching uses a suggested waypoint for a cache, created automatically when a cache has been created. Because most GPS units have restricted names to 6 characters or less, we generate a waypoint name based on the ID of the cache. It is optional, but makes it easier to locate a cache on the geocaching web site.

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Not so fast Markwell. About 1.5 months ago, I detected an error on your site about GPSr accuracy. But I notice it is still incorrect. A 30' radius equals 2827 square feet. An easy way to calculate this is this formula: (.7854) x (diameter squared).

[This message was edited by Ranger Rick on April 19, 2002 at 01:26 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I do have over 1,000 posts in the forums. When you take into account the original forums and the new ones, I actually have about 1,450.

And according to Dan's leaderboard, you have 164 logs on geocaching.com, including:

11 Couldn't find it! logs

17 caches hidden

65 Found it! logs

And, absolutely true to form:

71 informational logs.

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Dagnabit.

Fixed.

But your formula is incorrect in your post. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/markwellcachemain.htm

Markwell, I have an engineering degree and I don't believe my formula for the area of a circle is incorrect. You can let me know what you think the formula is and I'll let you know where you are going wrong or you can email me if you would like to keep the lesson private

RR,

Although your formula is not incorrect, it's just an unsual form to state it in. I think we're all used to seeing the formula as (pi)®^2.

Markwell, I'm sure you can figure it out, but I was curious about it myself, and the derivation of RR's formula is like this:

(pi) * ®^2 =

(pi) * (1/2 D)^2 =

(pi) * 1/4 * (D)^2 =

(3.1415...) * 1/4 * (D)^2 =

(0.7854) * (D)^2

... and I suppose you have more than 1000 posts if you want to get technical. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I'd prefer to have pi memorized than both pi and 1/4 pi.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

RR,

Although your formula is not incorrect, it's just an unsual form to state it in. I think we're all used to seeing the formula as (pi)®^2.

Markwell, I'm sure you can figure it out, but I was curious about it myself, and the derivation of RR's formula is like this:

(pi) * ®^2 =

(pi) * (1/2 D)^2 =

(pi) * 1/4 * (D)^2 =

(3.1415...) * 1/4 * (D)^2 =

(0.7854) * (D)^2

... and I suppose you have more than 1000 posts if you want to get technical. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I'd prefer to have pi memorized than both pi _and_ 1/4 pi.

Jamie

Hello Jamie and thanks for your input. You saved me a lot typing when you explained the math involved in this formula. In my business, I am calculating areas constantly. Just to get me in the ball park and to easily calulate the area of a circle in my head, I round the .7854 to 8. Using this rounded off shortcut, the area of a 10 foot circle would be .8 x 10^2 or (.8 x 100 =80 sq. ft.) Just for estimating, I find this formula easier than trying to do the (pi x radius squared) in my head. But if I posted the .8 formula, I would be ridiculed right out of the forum. Thanks again Jamie. Also, a thanks to Markwell, I learned a lot from his posts als

[This message was edited by Ranger Rick on April 19, 2002 at 01:28 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

Why bother with formulas when you can just estimate?

icon_razz.gif

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/46113_400.jpg

_The KGB_

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=46113

Hello KGB, To answer your question, You need to know the formula to be able to estimate with any amount of precision. For example, if you needed to know how much vinyl sheeting you would to cover a 200' diameter skating rink you were building in your back yard. We will say that it costs 1 dollar per square foot so you don't want to buy any extra. Just guess how many sqare feet you would order.(That is, guess without using any formula) Pretty tough to do. Now, with the formula .8 x 40000, at least you can get a rough idea that it is 32,000 sq. ft. of material you need. Hope this helps

No - the problem was once again my synapse taking leave of their senses.

When I tried the formula Ranger Rick gave, I must have tried it 50 different times and couldn't get Pi*R² = (.7852) x (diameter squared)

That's because is Ranger Rick's formula, I plugged in the radius instead of the diameter.

I'll shut up and take a handful of Ginko Biloba.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page