Palm Mapping Software

I have a basic etrek GPS and a Tungsten E PDA and want to map cache locations. At BEST BUY the clerk said that Handmark's StreetFinder was the best mapping software for the Palm that they carried so I purchased it. However, I find that it is almost useless from lack of map details (zoom out - only major highways and zoom in - very few street names). I can manually input points but then the ID labels are so large that they block much of the map. I use GSAK but have yet to figure out how to import data into StreetFinder.

My questions:

Can I make what I have work better?

Or better yet:

What's a better mapping program for the Tungsten E where I can view details and import the cache locations?

Thanks for the pages with the reviews. They really don't tell me what I want to know (how are the views on the screen of my palm) but they give me lots of new software to check out on the web. I tried going to the Quo Vadis link but for some reason it isn't connecting at this time. I don't mind paying $50 or more for the software as long as it does a decent job of displaying itself on the PDA - giving useful information. Thanks for the helpful hints.

Hi NightPilot,

Yes, now that I have purchased this PDA I found that out. So I have to work with what I have. I am looking for a maping program which allows me to import and view the location of caches down to the street level on my PDA so I can plan my drive. I am not trying to connect my GPS to the PDA (that'd be nice but I'd most like wreck my car trying to view the screen rather than the road) B) I just got off a 3 week road tour. I had StreetFinder loaded to get me around in several cities but it turned out to be almost useless since very little detail (like street names) was given. A program that gives street names on the Tungsten E screen and which allows points of interest (caches) to be imported would be my ticket (I think) :)

I guess I wrote all of that just to say all I want to do is view maps.

Hi NightPilot,

Yes, now that I have purchased this PDA I found that out. So I have to work with what I have. I am looking for a maping program which allows me to import and view the location of caches down to the street level on my PDA so I can plan my drive. I am not trying to connect my GPS to the PDA (that'd be nice but I'd most like wreck my car trying to view the screen rather than the road) :huh: I just got off a 3 week road tour. I had StreetFinder loaded to get me around in several cities but it turned out to be almost useless since very little detail (like street names) was given. A program that gives street names on the Tungsten E screen and which allows points of interest (caches) to be imported would be my ticket (I think) :blink:

I guess I wrote all of that just to say all I want to do is view maps.

i think you would like the app i posted above...

unfortunaly the site is down the last 2 days, hopfully it will return soon... DEMO is available.

I haven't tried Quo Vadis, so I can't comment on that. I do use Mapopolis, and it works for me. You can zoom out to an entire state on the screen (no detail at all), down to about a couple of blocks on the screen, with street names, or anywhere in between. You can store any locations you want in your address book, using 'Geomarks'. You can either tap the screen and create one, or enter the exact coordinates in your address book. You don't need a PC at all, and you can keep lots of maps on your SD card - no need to load the maps into RAM, Mapopolis reads directly from the card with the latest beta versions. The amount of detail can vary somewhat depending on the map version you buy, and the detail mostly drives the price. You can buy maps by the county, by the state, or the entire US. Don't get the most expensive maps, which really need a GPS connected to work well. These give verbal driving directions and automatic rerouting, but you have to have a GPS connected for this feature to work. The cheaper maps have the same detail, but aren't GPS enabled. That's what you want. You can download trial maps, and the application is free.

If you want to try Quo Vadis, I can't help you, sorry.

The Quo Vadis site is still down but I found a 3rd party web site with the demo. I also downloaded the demo of Mapopolis. I've only put about 10 mins each on those programs. I work in Napa, California and found it interesting that Quo Vadis included the demo maps for Napa. Did I just luck out or did it grab my zip code from somewhere?

Anyway, on the surface I do like the look and feel of Mapopolis better of the two. Zooming in and out, the details given at street levels and being able to have maps on my card are a big plus. But Quo Vadis isn't out of the picture yet. I want to go to the main web site and see what else it may offer or what feature it might have that I'm missing.

Can .loc files be converted and uploaded onto either of these maps?