.. I Really Loved Geocaching

buffalow

This was so fun,my wife came home alittle over a month ago and yold me about this.I said ,lets do it!!.Went out and got a eterx legend and off we went.We searched for 4 caches before our first find.How cool was that!!??

Ah,but last week the soreness I was getting in my legs was diagnosed as an advanced form of Avascular Necrosis(dying bones) in both hips and femurs.Also have it in my shoulders.

We are going to try one more before I start giving blood for my upcoming surgeries.

Ah,but we really loved and enjoyed geocaching!!! Glad we did it.

Ya'll rock!

Buffalow

Ah, I wish you all the best in your upcoming surgeries. You know though, we go out geocaching on days when my hip is in real pain and I cant walk well. Hubby gets the cache, and brings it to the car if it is close and he can do so without suspicion. That way I get to participate as well. Dont rule out geocaching quite yet. There are plenty of ways to enjoy it still. Put together a list of caches you would like to get email about. Devise evil puzzle caches and have your spouse set them out. Come and chat on the forums like the rest of us who dont have lives do.

you guys are all so awesome!!

yes, I hope I can use it as therapy and or just go with my wife--I hope she will want to even if I can't fully participate.

We were so dang active- golfing,flyfishing,whitewater,geocaching,ice skating,etc

I will try to participate at some level-- just some days lately have been pity party days- bad kitty !!!

I have had perfect health until this and at only 42 seems young to be having hip replacements.

Ya'll keep me motivated with your stories

I live in Washington state north of seattle

buffalow@earthlink.net

Sorry to hear that. I know this won't be a replacement, but have you considered trying an armchair version? Maybe swapping geographic puzzles with others and trying to solve them? It might be offer some enjoyment while waiting for the surgery - and I've found myself sometimes trying to solve the puzzle part of puzzle caches, even if I'm nowhere near enough to actually find them. (Of course, you don't get the McToys this way...)

you guys are all so awesome!!

yes, I hope I can use it as therapy and or just go with my wife--I hope she will want to even if I can't fully participate.

We were so dang active- golfing,flyfishing,whitewater,geocaching,ice skating,etc

I will try to participate at some level-- just some days lately have been pity party days- bad kitty !!!

I have had perfect health until this and at only 42 seems young to be having hip replacements.

Ya'll keep me motivated with your stories

I live in Washington state north of seattle

buffalow@earthlink.net

If you're having total hip or total knee replacements, you should be able to continue geocaching within reason. The 5/5,s are probably out but many of the lower rated ones are OK. Many of our patients lead active lifestyles. If you want more info, I'd be glad to E-mail you. Good luck on your surgeries. :blink:

I will try to participate at some level-- just some days lately have been pity party days-  bad kitty !!!

Well you are entitled to have pity party days. But if I may give some advice, if they last longer than a few weeks please go see your doctor. I was depressed for a long time before I saw my doc. These meds nowadays work wonders with no side effects.

I am not saying you need to or that you sounded like I just wanted give you my 2 cents from actual experience.

I hope all goes well with your surgery!

Ken

Edited by woodyk

Don't worry! You'll be caching again! Maybe the 5/5's are out but there are plenty of caches out there that are pretty easy for people with disabilities (temporary or permanent). You'll be back! I know it! :huh:

Good luck in your upcoming surgeries. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

I know how you feel. I've been active all my life, now I have degenerative disk disease, which means the disks in my spine are falling apart! I have 6 ruptured disks as of now, and it'll only get worse and I'm only 50. I've had to give up so many activities, but I can still geocache as long as the hike is reasonable for me.

Hang in there, I'm sending all my positive thoughts your way! I'm in Oregon, not so far from you! :huh:

Don't give up yet!

(Geez, I'm 42 myself, I hate hearing stories like this. Makes me feel a little less immortal than I normally do!)

If there's a website somewhere for Washington State Geocachers, why don't you go there (and here as well) and see about setting up a system by which you and others with similar difficulties can hit specific caches that are car/wheelchair/crutch friendly?

I've seen some pretty creative caches that you can almost hit without getting out of the car! You're limited only by your imagination, but DON'T give up something you obviously love without a fight!

buffalow, that story is so sad i'm starting to cry. i say a lot of things in these forums that are ironic or satirical, but this is not one of them. i will keep you in my thoughts, and hope you recover sufficiently to cache.

there is goodness and hope and light and i really, really hope some of it will find its way to your house.

now, if you'll excuse me, i have to go back to my normally scheduled sarcasm before anybody finds out i said this...