Missing Travel Bugs

El Diablo

Hey tunacache, what was meant by "sitting on the TB" was not the same as "sitting" (which could prove painful) on the TB. It just meant you had the TB in your possesion for an extended period of time. It is a common phrase here in the forum, so please don't be too offended by it's use.

There are some guidelines for TBs and one of them suggests, if you will be holding the bug for more than 2 weeks send a courtesy e-mail to the owner so they know it is not lost.

The best thing to do is to treat a TB as if you owned it.

Have fun caching,

John

I myself have sat upon a TB for an extended period. Not only did it hurt my rump something fierce, but it gnawed at my conscience. I had planned to go caching the very next weekend after finding it, but it ended up being an embarrassingly long time before I was able to go again.

I finally mailed the TB to another cacher who was able to recirculate the poor fella' for me.

I still take TB's, but I try to place them on the same cache run if I can, or hit a park-n-grab on the way home if I think I won't go for another week.

This thread was inspirational to me. I'm a well-known TB mover, and a well-known "traveling cacher"...I put hundreds of miles on every TB I carry, since I travel/cache on business almost every week.

Recently, I've been in "acquisition" mode on TBs...I have a high-mileage vacation trip coming up next month, and I plan to carry all the TBs I've accumulated and drop them off in the remote (but still cache/cacher-rich) area to which I'm traveling. I'm sure every TB owner will enjoy the mileage and will find the journeys interesting.

Thanks to this thread, I decided to drop an Email today to each and every TB owner whose TB I currently have, to let them all know that their TBs are in good hands and will be moved mega-miles next month. I've already received several thank-you notes, and if anyone replies asking me to move their TB sooner, of course I can do that locally before my trip.

It's all good. I don't understand why anyone gave ED a hard time about this subject, or his approach to it.

-Dave R.

Edited by drat19
It's all good. I don't understand why anyone gave ED a hard time about this subject, or his approach to it.

Because of the term 'amnesty'. It seemed to imply (though not intentionally) that there would be 'heck to pay' for the person who did not comply. If that was seen by the TB offender as being from Groundspeak, then there might be some ruffled feathers at Groundspeak, which is not responsible for this action. Anyway, it has all been worked out between the parties involved so there is no negative connotation - only positive. Might even get some lapsed cachers to get back into the activity... It's all good.

Edited by New England n00b

Because of the term 'amnesty'. It seemed to imply (though not intentionally) that there would be 'heck to pay' for the person who did not comply. If that was seen by the TB offender as being from Groundspeak, then there might be some ruffled feathers at Groundspeak, which is not responsible for this action. Anyway, it has all been worked out between the parties involved so there is no negative connotation - only positive. Might even get some lapsed cachers to get back into the activity... It's all good.

Fair enough. I guess I didn't sweat the original "amnesty" comment because I got the drift of his intent right away (seeing as how TB non-loggers/non-movers frustrate the cr*p outta me too!).

-Dave R.

Good news! eight TBs that came up missing in PA in August have been returned. :P

El Diablo

OOH! Does one of them happen to be Nuts about Traveling? He went AWOL in PA a month or so ago!

I was wondering if anyone sitting on TB's would actually get your message in a geocaching forum -- really glad to see it's working! :P

Good news! eight TBs that came up missing in PA in August have been returned. :P

El Diablo

OOH! Does one of them happen to be Nuts about Traveling? He went AWOL in PA a month or so ago!

I was wondering if anyone sitting on TB's would actually get your message in a geocaching forum -- really glad to see it's working! :P

Well someone got the message and 8 TBs are safe and sound. I'm sorry to say your TB wasn't one of them, but don't give up yet. I've notified all the owners that I have them. I ran an article in Today's Cacher and will do a follow up next month. Hopefully we will get more back.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo
Well someone got the message and 8 TBs are safe and sound. I'm sorry to say your TB wasn't one of them, but don't give up yet. I've notified all the owners that I have them. I ran an article in Today's Cacher and will do a follow up next month. Hopefully we will get more back.

El Diablo

Bummer that it wasn't mine... but glad to see some will be back in circulation! Just checked out Today's Cacher. Very cool - will have to bookmark it and stay up to date. Thanks!