Missing Travel Bugs

El Diablo

There have been so many Travel Bugs and Geocaching Coins that have come up missing over the last few years. I thought I would give an out to those that have picked up a TB or a Coin and haven't had a chance to place it yet.

This is a program to do what is right. If you have picked up a TB and haven't been able to release it, send it to us. If you have taken a Coin as a souvenir, shame on you. Why would you jeopardize your integrity over a $5.00 coin?

People put a lot of thought and energy in creating these TBs. I know that sometimes you have the good intentions of moving a TB but things happen. Here is your chance to right a wrong with no questions asked.

If you are holding a TB or a Coin, please forward it to Today's Cacher. 560 Gideon Grove Church Rd. Stokesdale, NC 27357. We will make sure that it gets back in circulation.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo
So is this an official sponsored program by Groundspeak, Inc. or just a wacky magazine stunt?

A stunt? I'm just offerring a way to return TBs. To answer your question...this is not sponsered by GC. It's sponsered by the magazine. What brought this on was a USA coin that came up missing from one of my caches, also a visit to the TB grave yard.

I'm curious, do you see a problem with this?

El Diablo

So is this an official sponsored program by Groundspeak, Inc. or just a wacky magazine stunt?

The more I think about this question, the more I'm offended. I don't believe Ive ever pulled a "Stunt" wether representing myself or the magazine. I feel that I've always been straight up.

I'm curious, actually very concerned why you would question that?

El Diablo

A stunt? I'm just offerring a way to return TBs. To answer your question...this is not sponsered by GC. It's sponsered by the magazine. What brought this on was a USA coin that came up missing from one of my caches, also a visit to the TB grave yard.

El Diablo

Yes I See a few problems with it.

1: an amnesty program implies that there is a punishment the is set aside for participating in the program. There is NO punishment of keeping a TB, its not a nice thing but its not a punishable offense.

2: since the mag is seen as part of GC.com, through association, anything it does reflects on GC.com much as anything the cache reviewers do reflects on Groundspeak, Inc. To offer a non sanctioned program that grants freedom from a nonexistent punishment seems a to place GC.com in a bad light.

3: Since you state it was started because "What brought this on was a USA coin that came up missing from one of my caches, also a visit to the TB grave yard." it seems to be for personal gain.

El Diablo

1: an amnesty program implies that there is a punishment the is set aside for participating in the program. There is NO punishment of keeping a TB, its not a nice thing but its not a punishable offense.

2: since the mag is seen as part of GC.com, through association, anything it does reflects on GC.com much as anything the cache reviewers do reflects on Groundspeak, Inc. To offer a non sanctioned program that grants freedom from a nonexistent punishment seems a to place GC.com in a bad light.

3: Since you state it was started because "What brought this on was a USA coin that came up missing from one of my caches, also a visit to the TB grave yard." it seems to be for personal gain.

You are making this out to be more than what it is. There are people that have picked up TBs and never got around to placing them. I'm giving them a chance to put them back in circulation.

The USA coin that came up missing in my cache, wasn't mine. I've never lost a TB because I've never launched one, besides a YJTB. Therefore it's not personal.

The magazine operates independent of GC, therefore it isn't the voice of GC. It's sponsered by GC but in no way reflects the opinoin of GC.

The magazine is written by cachers, for cachers and stands on it's own merits. The magazine has always supported GC, and will continue to do so, at least as long as I'm the publisher.

El Diablo

You failed to address point #1. an amnesty program implies that there is a punishment the is set aside for participating in the program. There is NO punishment of keeping a TB, its not a nice thing but its not a punishable offense.

and point #2 is still valid.

Edited by Lapaglia
You failed to address point #1. an amnesty program implies that there is a punishment the is set aside for participating in the program. There is NO punishment of keeping a TB, its not a nice thing but its not a punishable offense.

and point #2 is still valid.

I really don't see where you are coming from. Color me stupid. I have no intentions of putting GC in a bad light. If the word "Amnesty" offends, then forget that. Just get the TBs to me so we can get them back in circulation.

That's all I want. There is no hidden agenda.

El Diablo

I think this is a fine idea.

As far as the "amnesty" goes, though keeping a TB is not a "punishable offense," if it has been done unintentionally, the holder may be embarrassed to get it back in circulation after a lengthy time has passed. Or, the holder may be "afraid" of "repercussions" from the TB owner - even if the "repercussion" is nothing more than a flaming either via e-mail or in the forums (and let's face it, we cachers can be an uppity bunch if someone does something to our TBs or caches). So, IMHO, this simply offers a anonymous way for a tardy TB holder to get the TB back in circulation - no questions, no embarrassment, no fights.

Good luck with it!

As far as the "amnesty" goes, though keeping a TB is not a "punishable offense," if it has been done unintentionally, the holder may be embarrassed to get it back in circulation after a lengthy time has passed. Or, the holder may be "afraid" of "repercussions" from the TB owner - even if the "repercussion" is nothing more than a flaming either via e-mail or in the forums (and let's face it, we cachers can be an uppity bunch if someone does something to our TBs or caches). So, IMHO, this simply offers a anonymous way for a tardy TB holder to get the TB back in circulation - no questions, no embarrassment, no fights.

Good luck with it!

Thank you so much!! Exactly what I wanted to say, but lacked the words.

El Diablo

Good luck with it!

El Diablo

But don't you run a magazine? Are not words your stock and trade?

How about going back and editing the first post to reflect what it was that you really meant?

Michael

The more I think about this question, the more I'm offended. I don't believe Ive ever pulled a "Stunt" wether representing myself or the magazine. I feel that I've always been straight up.

I'm curious, actually very concerned why you would question that?

El Diablo

To be honest I was hopping it was a joke, or as they say in morning radio a "Wacky stunt!"

Nice offer ED! I'm not one to quibble on semantics. Any method to keep TB's in circulation is a good one. I fear that you may be preaching to the choir here though. My guess is that missing TB's are in the desks of semi-retired cachers.

Keep us posted on the results.

Edited by wimseyguy

Hmmmm, now what was that I was just saying about flaming?

I think E.D. has explained his position - and I think that people will either take advantage of the offer, or not. And I think that if GC.com has a problem with it, they will weigh in with their concerns.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but somehow I can see this thread going in a direction it doesn't need to go.

Peace.

Good luck with it!

El Diablo

But don't you run a magazine? Are not words your stock and trade?

How about going back and editing the first post to reflect what it was that you really meant?

Michael

If it makes you happy...Send the TBs to me...El Diablo. At the same address. Look, I don't want to be at odds with GC. I just want to get TBs back, that's all.

El Diablo

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but somehow I can see this thread going in a direction it doesn't need to go.

Peace.

I hope not. I think once we talk and sort out the issues it will be ok. If not I will gladly close this thread. I never intended, nor would I ever intentionally offend GC or the approvers. I think my track record speaks for it's self.

El Diablo

We have a couple of TB's that are missing in action & it would be Great to get them back into action. We do NOT care if you do run a magazine or not. We just would like to see them back on the move!

We see nothing wrong with the plan, at all. Hope you are successful in recovering some MIA bugs.

We like to see threads with positive suggestions AND comments. :lol:

Thank you EL Diablo.

Shirley & John~

Not for me. As the e-mails that have been exchanged have said this was not a personal issue but rather one of implications. those have been resolved.

Let me say that the current wording is a wonderful idea. Good luck and keep your eyes open for Dexter Hamster he is some where out there.

:lol:

Edited by Lapaglia

I think your offer is great, El Diablo. I would like to see something like it in the magazine and maybe add a little information for those who just think TB's are cute, that these are purchased by private individuals and respresent something to the person who sent them out. I had one, sit on a person's dresser for 5 months cause they thought it was a cute prize awarded by geocaching, like in cracker jacks.

Great idea El Diablo. I got lucky with Cache Viking TB and it resurfaced after 6 months with the help of another cacher giving me information from the log and my sending a nice letter. The cacher was not caching anymore but did take time to place bugs they forgot they had. If they were totally against caching or were unable to for various reasons mailing it would have been a nice option.

I think your offer is great, El Diablo.  I would like to see something like it in the magazine and maybe add a little information for those who just think TB's are cute, that these are purchased by private individuals and respresent something to the person who sent them out.  I had one, sit on a person's dresser for 5 months cause they thought it was a cute prize awarded by geocaching, like in cracker jacks.

One of the first TBs we found, back then they were called hitch hikers, my wife didn't want to give it up. It was a cute baby Nike shoe. But knowing that the owner was depending on someone to move it we did.

There will be an editorial in the magazine next month to ask that people either place it in a cache or to send it to me to get it back in circulation.

If you have ever read the TB grave yard thread you realize how sentimental these things are. Some will bring tears. Or maybe it's just me.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

El Diablo

I think his intentions were nothing but the best here...I am not sure why some people (not naming anyone in particular) like to stir the pot when clearly he was just trying to help the situation...I thnk it's a good idea...and I think in regards to his intentions, I have never read anythig from El Diablo that would make me belive that this is for personal gain...he seems like a very honest and un selfish person to me...

Just take it for what it is...a generous offer to return TB's to their owner when they happen to get out of circulation...

El Diablo

I think his intentions were nothing but the best here...I am not sure why some people (not naming anyone in particular) like to stir the pot when clearly he was just trying to help the situation...I thnk it's a good idea...and I think in regards to his intentions, I have never read anythig from El Diablo that would make me belive that this is for personal gain...he seems like a very honest and un selfish person to me...

Just take it for what it is...a generous offer to return TB's to their owner when they happen to get out of circulation...

Thank you for the kind words. No one was trying to stir the pot. They just had some questions and we worked them out by email. All is well now.

El Diablo

Thank you for the kind words. No one was trying to stir the pot. They just had some questions and we worked them out by email. All is well now.

El Diablo

Good...I think all "misinterpretations" should be worked out that way (PM or E-mail...) :lol:

And you are welcome...let us know if that idea works out...

El Diablo,

I am glad that someone is finally giving people a chance to find their lost travelbugs. My very first was lost in some sort of shady TB trading deal, and the user who last had him is banned. The travelbug was a very cool souviner of mine, and I would like to see it again someday. If your program is able to get him back to me, I'd be very happy.

Baab the Travelling Sheep

To those who only see Diablo's idea as an attempt for personal gain: Why is it he has to be doing something bad? Are you worried about his TB count? Why can't you just assume that maybe he is trying to help people find their lost TBs!

For all I know, maybe the next time I have a TB I want to go to the east coast, maybe I'll send it out there to get into circulation. I don't think Diablo has ANY bad intentions, and I commend him for his effort. Thank you, Diablo.

~Jared

The only problem I have is that I believe people who frequent the forums and read about the TB return progam are not the ones likely to hold a TB overly long.

If it helps only 1 TB get back, it's worth it, though.

Ed

Maybe El D can email every 'last known holder' of the missing TB's? Dunno, seems like a lot of work, but with a form letter it might not be too bad...

I am guilty, I have 2 tb's I have had for over 2 months. I have been unable to cache due to other more pressing obligations, but now that summer is over and my schedule has opened up a little i will get them moving on their journey again. This is not something I regurly do but hey sometimes crap happens and I apologize to the the bug owners.

I see a problem with it. In my experience, people who don't recirculate travel bugs don't even have the courtesy of replying to polite e-mails regarding the status of the travel bug. Assuming they read the forums, you think they'd go to the expense and effort of mailing the travel bug to you?

El Diablo

somebody tries to do something right and good and someone else has to question their motives. What's wrong with this picture? Be "politically correct" somewhere else. Good Luck with the program. If it returns a few lost TBs to the game then it is worth it.

Again I am totally amazed at how any idea or topic can be misconstrued into a conflict. My wife and I are both sitting here wondering how people have the energy or motivation to stir the pot with just about every subject that comes up. Frankly, there are enough REAL issues in this world that we look for geocaching to give us a way to enjoy the outdoors and share experiences with others.

ED...its a great idea...I noticed just the other day that when I retrieved a TB (Waskwy Wabbit) from a cache and went to log it, it had been out of circulation for about 6 months...appeared to be a teenager who picked it up in another state and then simply forgot about it, and finally placed it in a cache. Surely the TB owner had to be wondering where it was...in this case he was lucky. Perhaps if there was a friendly reminder out there, like you are suggesting, then this would have been resolved months earlier.

From sunny Oklahoma...

D-cachers

El Diablo

Michael, are you taking your meds? You should have been a surgeon, the way you have disected this concept. But just make sure, when you're through cutting, that you haven't closed the wound, and left your wristwatch or something else foreign in there.

BTW, if you want to see a "wacky magazine stunt," just wait until next month when we publish the coordinates of your hideout and invite the whole geocaching world to a Halloween party on your front step! (Just Kidding...please don't ban me for making threats in the forums.)

Lighten up, Francis. :blink::D

El Diablo

Michael, are you taking your meds? You should have been a surgeon, the way you have disected this concept. But just make sure, when you're through cutting, that you haven't closed the wound, and left your wristwatch or something else foreign in there.

BTW, if you want to see a "wacky magazine stunt," just wait until next month when we publish the coordinates of your hideout and invite the whole geocaching world to a Halloween party on your front step! (Just Kidding...please don't ban me for making threats in the forums.)

Lighten up, Francis. :blink::D

I'M sorry did you miss this quote from El Diablo

El Diablo

N 39 36.785 W 104 44.183. There you cant threated me with what I freely give you. You bring the pumpkins we will have a contest to see which one is more polite than you seem to be.

Do you at least feel better after getting all the angst out of your system about a problem that had already been settled. I hope so.

EDITED, one of us has to be the better man Sept1c, I'll take the high road.

Edited by Lapaglia

I think it's a great idea, EL. The only "problem" I can see is getting the word out to folks who don't read the forums, or the magazine.

As for the postage, I would think that many would still be willing to pay that small cost, but others might not. In that case the bug is probably gone for good, which is unfortunate, but at least some bugs will make it back into circulation.

I think it's a great idea, EL. The only "problem" I can see is getting the word out to folks who don't read the forums, or the magazine.

Getting the word out is the biggest problem. Between the forums and the magazine however we reach about 35,000 people. That's not bad for a start!

El Diablo

Getting the word out is the biggest problem. Between the forums and the magazine however we reach about 35,000 people. That's not bad for a start!

El Diablo

Any ideas on how to get people from foreign countries to participate? The mailing costs might be a tad prohibitive in some cases. My conscience ain't worth but 2 bucks.

Or have you already found representatives from other countries? Or is this a USA thing only?

El Diablo

Any ideas on how to get people from foreign countries to participate? The mailing costs might be a tad prohibitive in some cases. My conscience ain't worth but 2 bucks.

Or have you already found representatives from other countries? Or is this a USA thing only?

I'm not sure about that. Our magazine reaches cachers across he globe, and the mag is linked to our sister magazine in the U.K so I'm sure word will get out over there.

If we can just get one TB back I would be happy, as I'm sure the owner would be. One of the reasons I started this project was because of a USA Coin that came up missing in one of my caches, as mentioned earlier. It wasn't my coin, but it upsets me that people would take something that belongs to another. These coins only cost 5.00 and it's hard for me to understand why anyone would jeporadize their integerity for a novel item such as this.

El Diablo

Well after having read this thread yesterday, I had to get out and place the TB I plucked way the heck back on 07/09/04. I apologize to the TB's owner and to all other members of the community for my procrastination. I will not offer up any excuses for my bad behavior, even if some may be valid. Instead of that, I placed the TB today. Considering the amount of angst I caused, I probably will not even consider ever taking another TB from any cache I find. I know I am a novice, but that is how all this makes me feel.

Edited by tunacache
Well after having read this thread yesterday, I had to get out and place the TB I plucked way the heck back on 07/09/04. I apologize to the TB's owner and to all other members of the community for my procrastination. I will not offer up any excuses for my bad behavior, even if some may be valid. Instead of that, I placed the TB today. Considering the amount of angst I caused, I probably will not even consider ever taking another TB from any cache I find. I know I am a novice, but that is how all this makes me feel.

See the program is already working. This makes two people that have been sitting on TBs that are putting them back into circulation.

Thanks guys....and I'm sure the owners thank you also. Don't take a TB unless you plan on moving it within a reasonable time. I usually won't take one unless I know that I can help it advance.

El Diablo

Well after having read this thread yesterday, I had to get out and place the TB I plucked way the heck back on 07/09/04.  I apologize to the TB's owner and to all other members of the community for my procrastination.  I will not offer up any excuses for my bad behavior, even if some may be valid.  Instead of that, I placed the TB today.  Considering the amount of angst I caused, I probably will not even consider ever taking another TB from any cache I find.  I know I am a novice, but that is how all this makes me feel.

See the program is already working. This makes two people that have been sitting on TBs that are putting them back into circulation.

Thanks guys....and I'm sure the owners thank you also. Don't take a TB unless you plan on moving it within a reasonable time. I usually won't take one unless I know that I can help it advance.

El Diablo

Dude - I have not been "sitting" on the TB!!!

As I said, I will not offer any excuse even though those I could may be valid.

This program of yours is not working at my expense. What makes you a determinator of "a reasonable time"? Who are you to question a geocacher's ability to move a TB?

With these last comments of yours, I now will never feel guilty for not placing a TB until I finally place it, and when I do place it, I won't then feel guilty either.

So, did you accomplish anything?

Wow...tunacache...just when I thought there was a move in the right direction on this subject... B)

Last month, I "sat" (or feel free to use another term...held, kept, borrowed, etc.) a TB for two weeks (I simply couldn't get out to go caching) and felt like it was an extremely long time. I have only been caching since June 04...and am steadily becoming more aware of the "expectations" that are found in the geocaching community...at least the forum community. In all fairness, I think you said it best in your own e-mail..."way the heck back on 7/9/04"...I think that is a long time to sit on, hold, keep, etc. a TB...

Ideal or not, ED's post did lead to at least one person becoming aware of the need to get the TB back out there...and in this wacky world, sometimes you have to put aside the negative and look for the positive...

From sunny...and of course, windy, Oklahoma