You Shouldn't Do This.

Planet

Exactly. I don't do this myself but I now people who do.

Cache counts don't meant squat except to the person who bother's logging them.

If Joe Cacher has a 1000 finds logged and 800 are bogus it's no skin off my nose. It's not like we hang out at the bar and boast about our Cache counts. If his life feels somehow more complete because he padded his cache count that's fine. he probably doesn't realize I could care less.

Cache counts mean different things to different people. I know folks who log additional finds when they go back to a cache they've been to to retrieve a Travel Bug.

It might be annoying to others but again -- it's not hurting anyone.

Then why are there 400 threads² complaining that some 6000+ find cacher didn't sign the logbook at 30 of those 6000 caches?

Why do people jump at the chance to constantly point out a few cachers who have photoshopped some virtual or locationless cache verifications?

Why do we have endless discussion if it's ok to log a find on a missing cache if you are pretty sure you found the right spot?

Why is there one thread a week about how important it is to log your DNFs, and how fake finds hurt other cachers?

Sure it's a game. Games are played by rules. You don't want to play Monopoly with someone who keeps slipping $500 bills from the bank, do you?

² totally made up number.

Yeah it's a game is right.

But it's solitaire. Not monopoly. If people cheat at Monopoly they get called on it. If they cheat at Solitaire who cares? I mean there are no winners in geocaching (other than the fun of it). It's not a zero sum game. No cash prizes for the guy with the most.

Just not something that causes me to lose any sleep or sends me rushing to the keyboard to vent.

I can't remember the last time I bothered checking anyone elsse's cache count.

I think all the posts about cache counts are pretty silly. But that's just me.

Everyone comes to the 'game' for their own reasons and gets something different out of it.

My brother has probably logged 100 caches in the field but has never once filed a log online.

I just refuse to let the next guy's attitude about cache numbers and find counts get in the way of enjoying my hobby. To read some of the posts on these forums the outsider might be left with the impression geocaching isn't any fun at all. ;D

Have fun folks. Don't let a few people's annoying habits get under your skin.

I understand the DNF and fake find issue and the problems they cause. Debate as you wish.

I got no problems with that.

Just doesn't bother me personally.

Edited by jollybgood
Yeah it's a game is right.  But it's solitaire. Not monopoly. If people cheat at Monopoly they get called on it. If they cheat at Solitaire who cares?

The "Solitaire" analogy would be appropriate for those people who hide and then log finds on only their own caches. But not for anyone else. ;)

Edited by BassoonPilot