You Shouldn't Do This.

Planet

This is for you - and you will know who you are, and it's not aimed any ONE person in particular. It happens ALL over the place.

When you go back to your own cache, with another cacher, or for maintenance, or for any reason, you don't log another find. You hid it, you should know darn well where it is. You post a note. "Post a Note" A note. Not a find. Not a did not find. not a should be archived. Just a note.

OK?

Thank you. :lol:

This is for you - and you will know who you are, and it's not aimed any ONE person in particular. It happens ALL over the place.

When you go back to your own cache, with another cacher, or for maintenance, or for any reason, you don't log another find. You hid it, you should know darn well where it is. You post a note. "Post a Note" A note. Not a find. Not a did not find. not a should be archived. Just a note.

OK?

Thank you. :lol:

Why not? People play by their own rules. It's their cache, let them do what they please. Maybe you shouldn't let it bother you.

i have been pondering this problem. last fall i hid a cache 150 miles from me, with one of my brothers, who is also maintaining the cache for me because he lives 5 miles from it. the cache was listed as mine. this spring he changed the container to an ammo can and moved the cache from the top of a hill to the bottom. while i was visiting him a few weeks ago he made me find it on my own before i could put some new swag in it. should i log it as a find? he thinks i should because i did have to refind it. i'm not sure.

I think you should log it.....its not like you were there when he rehid it, and it has moved. Even though its your cache, you have a unique situation here, and I think it is more then fair you get to claim the find.

I usually run maintenance on my caches once every six weeks or so....some are 80 miles away, but in the desert that distance means nothing.

If I logged a find everytime I did maintenance I would have lots of smileys by now, but would feel like everyone would know just how foolish that act is.

If people dont care they look like fools, then let them.

I agree, no one shouldlog a find when they check up on their caches. But I would gladly have some take a find if they would just go check on their caches. Some I know have not been visited by their owners in almost 16 months. So did you say something when you logged the cache or write to the owners? Or just blow off steam here in the forum?

To paraphrase something I see in these forums on practically a daily basis:

Geocaching is a hobby for everyone and everyone does it a little differently. You play by your rules and I'll play by my rules.  Doing what you suggested would take away from the enjoyment of some and add nothing to the enjoyment of others.  If something like this bugs you, then you are the one with the problem.  It's only a game.  Tough nuts.  Get over it. 
Darn. I think there should have also been a "get a life" in there someplace. :lol: Edited by BassoonPilot

OK?

Thank you. ;)

Ooh ooh! I get an A!

I have gone to my own caches with newbies (or caches that I have found before that are not mine) just to show them the ropes and do maintenance (if it is my cache). I let the newbie find the cache completely on their own. They log it as a 'find', I log a note to say I was there again!

YAY! An A+ for Imajika! :lol:;)

This is for you - and you will know who you are, and it's not aimed any ONE person in particular.  It happens ALL over the place.

When you go back to your own cache, with another cacher, or for maintenance, or for any reason, you don't log another find.  You hid it, you should know darn well where it is.  You post a note.  "Post a Note"  A note.  Not a find.  Not a did not find.  not a should be archived.  Just a note. 

OK?

Thank you.  ;)

But what if I can't find my own cache? Can I log a DNF?

We did a check-up on one cache and the last finder had moved it from it's hiding spot. We had to find our own cache, so do we get to log a 'found it'? We've heard of other owners having to hunt for their caches also. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:;);)

John

...this spring he changed the container to an ammo can and moved the cache from the top of a hill to the bottom. while i was visiting him a few weeks ago he made me find it on my own before i could put some new swag in it. should i log it as a find? he thinks i should because i did have to refind it. i'm not sure.

This situation works for me. I've seen it done. There might be other situations where it could be o.k. to log your own cache.

But thumbs down for an owner logging their own cache on a maintenance trip or to log tb's in & out.

Why does anyone care? There are no prizes being awarded. Why foist your belief system on someone else?

Its a Game, not life or death. If it was wrong there would be a guideline that the cache reviewers could reference the offending party to.

Here is a thought. Let it go. It is not worth the angst. Perhaps we need to stop trying to protect people from themselves and instead live and let live.

Since when are any of us appointed the protectors of the masses. How about if everyone just worry about your own caches not about anyone elses in regards to this matter.

Why does anyone care? There are no prizes being awarded. Why foist your belief system on someone else?

Its a Game, not life or death. If it was wrong there would be a guideline that the cache reviewers could reference the offending party to.

Here is a thought. Let it go. It is not worth the angst. Perhaps we need to stop trying to protect people from themselves and instead live and let live.

Since when are any of us appointed the protectors of the masses. How about if everyone just worry about your own caches not about anyone elses in regards to this matter.

(from another thread)

There are always people that will want to protect the masses. even when the masses dont want to be protected. This seems to be one of those times.

(/ from another thread)

I get it now.

I thought you were defending "big brother".

(not related to the quote but on the original topic):

I see a possible reason why someone might want to log a find on his or her own cache.

Some people "skim" logs and skip over any that have several notes or no-finds at the top of the list, figuring that they are probably missing.

So, if a their cache has a few no-finds or notes, they might want to post a "find" so that people "skimming" will see that it is available.

I have actually had one owner ask me to change a no-find to a note so people would not see the no-find and bypass the cache.

This kinda maks sense.

So, like Lapaglia said, "let it go".

There are two takes on how to play the game.

Tournament rules. Which are evolving, and Casual rules, which are evolving.

No matter how you slice it finding your own cache is just silly. As for a DNF, that's just funny. Are we counting those yet?

Maybe the site should just make it so the owner can only post an "Owner note" to a cache. No DNF, No Find, Just maintenance.

I think its unethical to count your hides as finds.

Maybe the site should just make it so the owner can only post an "Owner note" to a cache. No DNF, No Find, Just maintenance

Edit to agree with RK's post. Seems very logical.

Edited by 9Key

I would rather see people log a find when maintaining a cache than no comment (or maintenance) at all. If a cache owner wants to log his own caches as finds (or DNFs) it's no skin off my back; it just makes them look a little silly.

As far as DNFs go, again, that's up to the owner. And yes, we should be counting DNFs if we're going to count finds. :blink:

Weirdest thing. I did a maintenance run on one of my caches today and I went to write a note but accidentally submitted it as a find. Odd when I considered that I've replied to this thread.

For the record, I did change it to note. Not because it was wrong to log it as a find, but because it made no sense to log it so.

Who cares? We're not having a contest, are we? I enjoy seeing my own find count go up, but I don't really give a dadgum if people want to post finds on their own caches, or post multiple finds on caches, or even if they want to post a find for a cache they never even visited!

If people make mistakes, then no big deal. After they cache for a while they'll probably figure out their posting mistakes and fix them.

Why does anyone care? There are no prizes being awarded. Why foist your belief system on someone else? Since when are any of us appointed the protectors of the masses. How about if everyone just worry about your own caches not about anyone elses in regards to this matter.

That's a great idea. Why don't all the cache reviewers resign immediately; they're no longer needed.

Remember people..."Its not about the numbers."

This should apply to your numbers and to the numbers of everyone else's as well.

The amount of fun I have while geocaching is not related to how few or many or easy or difficult the caches that other people find are, only to my own geocaching. I think that people logging their own caches as "finds" is a little silly, and caring about it to be a lot silly.

This thread (and others like it) sponsored by the fun police, goosestepping their way to a cache near you.

Funny that the originator to this topic never came back to defend his/her position. I guess it is not required but he/she must have had some serious opinion about it to have brought it up in the first place.....

Nothing "funny" about it at all. Planet spoke her mind. She told people how she wants them to behave. She did not invite discussion on the matter, and from the OP it appears that she has no interest in entertaining any contrasting point of view. So why would she respond? Clearly, her post was cathartic.

Edited by BassoonPilot

Interesting to see that some of the same people that have said it's wrong to log finds on caches you didn't really find, or are craving for stats on this site, or don't think cache type "X" should count as a find, are some of the same ones who feel it's OK to "find" your own caches more then a dozen times like the person I think Planet is talking about.

So, how many fake finds is one allowed to pad their account? Is it a fixed number? Is it ok to do it 15 times, but not 25? Or maybe it's a percentage of your total?

Do the stats fanatics factor this into everyone's stats?

Just wondering.

If a cacher placed his cache on top of Mt. Everest and claimed it as a find I think I might agree he earned the right to claim it. Seems like there should be exceptions to the rule under some circumstances.

But why? He gets credit for the hide. Isn't that credit enough?

Well that is a good point and perhaps one of the reasons I've never claimed any of my own caches. Bassoon Pilot makes a good point too. Perhaps it's not worth fussing over.

This is for you - and you will know who you are, and it's not aimed any ONE person in particular.  It happens ALL over the place.

When you go back to your own cache, with another cacher, or for maintenance, or for any reason, you don't log another find.  You hid it, you should know darn well where it is.  You post a note.  "Post a Note"  A note.  Not a find.  Not a did not find.  not a should be archived.  Just a note. 

OK?

Thank you.  :huh:

Why not? People play by their own rules. It's their cache, let them do what they please. Maybe you shouldn't let it bother you.

Exactly. I don't do this myself but I now people who do.

Cache counts don't meant squat except to the person who bother's logging them.

If Joe Cacher has a 1000 finds logged and 800 are bogus it's no skin off my nose. It's not like we hang out at the bar and boast about our Cache counts. If his life feels somehow more complete because he padded his cache count that's fine. he probably doesn't realize I could care less.

Cache counts mean different things to different people. I know folks who log additional finds when they go back to a cache they've been to to retrieve a Travel Bug.

It might be annoying to others but again -- it's not hurting anyone.

Edited by jollybgood
Exactly. I don't do this myself but I now people who do.

Cache counts don't meant squat except to the person who bother's logging them.

If Joe Cacher has a 1000 finds logged and 800 are bogus it's no skin off my nose. It's not like we hang out at the bar and boast about our Cache counts. If his life feels somehow more complete because he padded his cache count that's fine. he probably doesn't realize I could care less.

Cache counts mean different things to different people. I know folks who log additional finds when they go back to a cache they've been to to retrieve a Travel Bug.

It might be annoying to others but again -- it's not hurting anyone.

Then why are there 400 threads² complaining that some 6000+ find cacher didn't sign the logbook at 30 of those 6000 caches?

Why do people jump at the chance to constantly point out a few cachers who have photoshopped some virtual or locationless cache verifications?

Why do we have endless discussion if it's ok to log a find on a missing cache if you are pretty sure you found the right spot?

Why is there one thread a week about how important it is to log your DNFs, and how fake finds hurt other cachers?

Sure it's a game. Games are played by rules. You don't want to play Monopoly with someone who keeps slipping $500 bills from the bank, do you?

² totally made up number.

Edited by Mopar
Funny that the originator to this topic never came back to defend his/her position. I guess it is not required but he/she must have had some serious opinion about it to have brought it up in the first place.....

dik

SOME people who shall remain unnamed feel it's necessary to keep returning to their threads in order to keep making the point and keep that commentary running. SOME of these people will even hijack other threads to beat the same horse.

does the fact that planet sparked a lively conversation and then stepped out for a while somehow invalidate her point?

what's your implication here?

she said what she wanted to say, and fairly clearly, i thought. then she didn't have anything more to say about it. this does not render her opinion void.