Too Many Rules! I'm Switching To Navicache.com

cacherats

I have to agree that the original poster was being kinda ridiculous for getting mad about not being able to post a cache less than 500 feet away, but Mopar, you really are an a**!

gc.com does have some stupid rules, and i find alot of the moderators to be just plain jerks. but i like the sport and i like the site in general..

in closing i think this topic needs to be locked/closed.

;):lol:

Hey that's great news for Navicache. They'll be gaining a whole THREE new caches now.  That should bring there grand total up to what, like 3 right?  :lol:

Ouch!..nice one JM ;)

... As a result, I listed the cache on Navicache.com instead, and it was immediately accepted...

Imagine that...

Geocide is Painless - M*A*S*H

Through early morning fog I see,

Visions of the caches to be,

The pains that are withheld for me,

From these rules I must be set free

[REFRAIN]:

And geocide is painless.

It brings on Navicache pages.

And I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make,

All our little joys relate,

Without that ever-present hate,

But now I know that it's too late, and...

[REFRAIN]

The game of cache is hard to play,

I'm gonna lose it :lol: anyway.

The losing post I'll someday lay,

So this is all I have to say.

That geocide is painless.

(words words words, uh... more words)

'Cause geocide is painless.

...And you can do the same thing if you choose.

I'm all for freedom of choice and I actually would love it if there was a nonprofit organization setting up the rules and having a great listing site that would be the central listing site for geocaching, instead of a commercial site. Hopefully geocachers will organize themselves so that one day this will become reality.

things like this are driven by need. As long as GC remains free and continues to list a large number of high quality caches, there will be no need for a "non-profit" site.

Also, since GC.com is FREE, what would be the point of a "non-profit" site? How much LESS do you expect to pay for a not-for-profit listing service?

(I'll read the rest of the posts now and see how many beat me to the punch on this)

Aaah, and what would Labor Day weekend be like without at least one heart felt geocide, hehehe. I still do not understand what drives people to the point of cashing out and then telling everyone about it. This is, after all, A GAME not a race to save the world. Lighten-up, play by the rules or find another hobby, life is way to short to agonize over a game ...

HEY! Wait a minute. I joined GC to save the world. Just because YOUR motives are selfish, don't assume EVERYONE's are.

just a GAME, eh? Well maybe to YOU it is just a game. But to SOME of us...

....Oh, why do i bother...

:lol:

...The rules are here for a reason. Some we may find rediculous but believe me, the Geocaching folks are doing what they think will help the hobby/sport prosper. Does anyone really think they are intentionally trying to run people off and ruin a good business by making them mad? Heck NO!

Most of the rules are good for the RASH. Some of the rules are there for the benifit of this site. A few more could be pruned and probably hurt neither the site nor the RASH.

It would be nice to know where the rules came from. No Digging is purportedly from the NPS ban. But other than forum lore where do you learn that? Why 528'? Why not 497, 322, or 1024? That number came from somewhere. Is the sole reason because it's the point where your GPS flips from decimal miles to feet? Is it because that was about the accuracy under SA so we can still find caches with no confusion if SA is turned back on?

In my line of work I deal with one heck of a lot of stupid rules. Every time I challenge them and dig I find the reason the rule is there. Knowing that makes me more effective in my job.

I agree.

At least for the rules that aren't particularly obvious, they deserve some explanation.

I have found the wrong cache on a few occasions due to there bweing two too close together. If it had not been for the owner writing the cache name on the cache, i would have logged the wrong cache. (happened to be intermediate stages of multis which is now being considered but was not previously)

I don't think a lot of justification is needed for the "no digging" rule. If a cache is buried, the finder will have to dig to find it. With errors of as much as 50 feet (on a good day), a LOT of park land could be excavated in a typical cache hunt.

Similarly, rules regarding careless placement around rr tracks and in places where people would naturally think "bomb" need little explanation.

But since probably no 2 people would agree which are self-explanatory and which are not, perhaps it would be best for GC to post a treatise on the reason behind every rule. I guess bits are cheap enough now.

...things like this are driven by need. As long as GC remains free and continues to list a large number of high quality caches, there will be no need for a "non-profit" site.

Also, since GC.com is FREE, what would be the point of a "non-profit" site? How much LESS do you expect to pay for a not-for-profit listing service?...

I'm suprized to hear you of all people say that. There is a need for a non profit organization. If there wasn't then all these local organizations are wasting their time and money on the effort.

As for free. It's subsidized by people like me, who pay. Before there were people like me to pay it was subsidized out of the pockets of the site owners. It's not free, never was free, and never will be free, regardless of what kind of site, profit or non profit exists.

As for free.  It's subsidized by people like me, who pay.

In fact, every person who visits GC.com “pays” to geocache by, if nothing else, viewing banner ads or searching for and logging (or even writing an essay about) certain little, colorful, plastic product promotions… er, travel bugs.

Edited by subterranean