Hard Caches

gumpy

I don't mind them - if it is really physical (5) I might not do it - I won't do water (needs boat) caches -I can't do a rapel down the side of a cliff - or somethinkg like that.

this is a physical thing with me - I'm a (blue) card carrying member of the officially handicapped.

but I have spent hours looking for some difficult multi caches. And I am working on a couple difficult ones myself.

I used to, when people used to place them. Now they don't, so I can't. What passes for a "hard cache" these days is usually some puzzle or mental challenge and then a short walk over flat terrain to an easy find. :lol: I've spent more time and effort searching the family room for my keys. :D

Edited by BassoonPilot

I'll try any 5/1 you want to throw my way.

Now if it were a 1/5, I might have an issue. I am in decent shape but I can't climb rock faces or SCUBA to get to a cache. It would just depend on everything involved and if I thought I could do it.

The last 5/1 we did was The Agency: The Initiation. Our total time working on this cache was about 48 hours over two weeks. We got it, we were FTF and we had a great time! :lol: It took my poor brain a while to heal from that mental workout!

If I had to hike a decent hike I would definately go far it. I grew up with a dad who loved the outdoors so we were the family that would take the LONG way to the viewpoint at the TOP of the waterfall, etc. That sort of thing. 5+ miles was not anything new for us, even in grade school. We learned the cleanest of dad's old Marine Corp marching songs and off we'd go, trail mix and water bottles in tow.

If it was something I'd have to have special eq to get to I might think twice. Although come to think of it, my brother has rapelling gear I might be able to bum from him. Hmmm.....But generally speaking....the GPS system dh and I just bought off ebay was investment enough!

So I guess the answer is Yes and No. I'm very glad that the hard cache's exist though because I personally enjoy a challenging "quest" to set myself against. And hiking through the woods with my husband on an all day adventure is definately a treat to me! :-) But monetary investment for special equipment or whatever would be a little too much for me at this point in time.

Angela <><

I very much prefer the difficult terrain ones. They're the caches I generally go after if I'm planning a Geocaching day. The easier ones can be fun, and they have a place. For me, the easy terrain ones are generally what I go after to break up a drive, for a quick evening fix, or on the way to some other place. I even went after a 4.5 terrain virtual cache once, but admittedly I was heading there anyway. Logging the cache just added a little pizzaz to the adventure.

If you're talking about mentally tough, hmmmm, I still have this rubics cube I've never sorted out

Edited by Searching_ut

We tried to do a 3.5/5 cache in Rochester, NY; we tried and failed to find part one. As it turns out, it was just inaccessible to us. We may try this cache again next summer. There is another 3.5/5 river cache 35 miles north of us which we intend to try soon. I don't think I am capable of doing 4 or 5 star terrain land caches, but we do have a canoe and will use it when necessary to find caches.

I was wondering if there really are people who like to do difficult caches?  There is a cache in Manitoba rated a 5x5 and it sounds like it is very hard.  It is called

Brains, Brawn and Beauty Cache

I hate em. ;) There is a series of caches, actually a 7-part Multi in Northern California called Peace Point One, Two .... and so on. I had trouble, and a DNF, with the first one which was planted in Holly :lol: , what fun is that? ;) Anyhow, they were placed in service just over a year ago, three cachers have done all seven. Makes me think I am not alone. :lol: I just filter them out of my GPX download when I pass the data through GSAK. :lol:

Wish there where more around here( the Chicago area). 2/4's would be a nice number. We just don't have a whole lot of 'terrain'.

So tired of drive up micros and city parks. Would rather spend a half or full day on one or two somewhat challenging caches than a 25 cache drive-up day. Saves gas and is far more enjoyable. Theres a few around here and we've tried to focus on some of them recently. Totals caches found slowed down a lot but its far more enjoyable.

Interesting to see how few logs a cache has when its description mentions it might be a couple mile round trip or more. Especially when there's a drive up in the parking area thats been found dozens of times.

Just me im sure.

Give me 4-5 star terrain I would love to go after it. If its a 4-5 star difficulty I'm not interested
Right on brother! Its the physical challenges that got me hooked on the game. I'm forced to write non-functional code all day at work and my tiny brain just doesn't want to solve puzzle caches in its spare time.

Does a puzzle cache make you look like this? 94 degrees F, 45% humidity, 4 mile exposed (no shade) hike.

Nuff said. :lol:

I definately wish there were more difficult caches near me,

it isnt much fun to log in only to find 1/1 - 1/2 difficulty in my

area and the tough ones are farther than I have time to go on

a weekend without using vacation time.

Its ok to walk down a groomed path/trail right up to the cache

when I have kids with me ,but it gets depressing when that seems

to be all that is near by anymore (with more being added all the time).

Climbre, caver, diver bring it on. So far I have a 4.5/5 and a 4/5 complterd. There is a 5/5 but is just a 5.9 or 5.10 rock climb so not to interesting. The interesting part comes in the challenge. The 4.5/5 wasn't hard to find just a75 foot rappel and the 4/5 was easy just a short scube dive, 15 feet. But the DIfficulity was up because of the speical equipment. There should maybe a separate catagory or something, that escapes me now of what, but it should be like puzzlement difficulty or how hard did the hider hide the thing. Not sure but just some ramblings.

cheers

I've been looking to see if there are any 5/5 in our area, but the highest I can find is a 4/5. It's nice to see that us Tennesseans are taking advantage of all our hills. The one that is rated 4/5 is probably on an island somewhere in the middle of the Tennessee River. Husband and I do not canoe as it invariably turns into an argument--but I'm up for a good hike or a good mental challenge anyday.

I think I like them...I don't have much difficult terrain down here in South Carolina. I cache with children much of the time I'm not at or on the way to/from work caching, so they require a kitchen pass which raises the difficulty to a six considering the size of my honey-do list :D

I am reasonably close to the now famous Tube Torcher and Sissy's Snarky Walk. Trips to them are in the planning stages. Behind hanging sheetrock in the bonus room I think!? ;)

Oh man, I would love to attempt that cache. Too bad it's so far from Winnipeg, otherwise I might have tried when I go home at Christmas. I'm glad to see there are more caches popping up in that area though.

A difficult cache is fun to do every once in a while and defintely leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment. I've done a 4.5/4.5 cache that took several visits to complete the whole thing. I've also done a cache that took 6 hours and covered over 9 miles (well, the cache was only supposed to be 6 miles, but I picked up some other caches along the way).

I was wondering if there really are people who like to do difficult caches?

We've come to prefer the harder caches.

It's come to the point that we treat 1/1s the same as most virts; if it's right there, we'll do it. Otherwise, we skip it.

So, I guess you could say we're in it for the numbers, too! 3/4.5, 5/5, etc.

Give me 4-5 star terrain I would love to go after it. If its a 4-5 star difficulty I'm not interested
Right on brother! Its the physical challenges that got me hooked on the game. I'm forced to write non-functional code all day at work and my tiny brain just doesn't want to solve puzzle caches in its spare time.

Does a puzzle cache make you look like this? 94 degrees F, 45% humidity, 4 mile exposed (no shade) hike.

Nuff said. :o

Here's a challenge for you Will. Some of our best geobuddies have tried and failed on this one. They won't post a DNF because they say they're not done lookin' for it. :o

I posted this cache as a challenge to Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. No one from S.A. has been up to it. :huh: Maybe you could make a showing for DFW....? :o

I must admit, I'm sorta getting into difficult terrain as well... I've always like canoe trips, so this past labour day weekend, I took some friends on a three day canoe trip on a river here in Ontario, including two caches which were WAY out there. We were the FTF for one (that was placed two years ago!) and the second to find on another. They weren't particularly difficult finds, they were just hard to get to.

Really had an awesome time.

LostDog

I would personally LOVE to see a 5/5 in my area!

I think I may be the one to do just such a cache :huh:

I enjoy tackling 5* diff. caches in my area (esp. Binthair's) because they provide a personal challenge. When I am with others, I am always being dragged into the <2.5 game.

I like being Outdoors, hiking & such, so really enjoy the physical challenges more than the 1/1 caches that are placed around too much now. Don't get me wrong, I learned on many 1/1's but have now developed a preference for more difficult terrain challenges. Here's One I had much satisfaction completing.

Sonora Cache You can only get to do this one at certain periods of time due to snow. After almost a year of no activity I finally got up there & it was great! Now just to show you the luring power of a YJTB someone went all the way up there just to go get it only after 2 days when I last completed it! :huh: Nice cache however & getting to the cache it self was very scary & tricky :huh:

But a great cache none the less. I'm looking for more of these types of caches to do in the near future.

Sal of JeepySr

I hate 5 difficulty ratings they hurt my brain. I don't mind the more difficult terrain as long as I don't need special equipment. I guess thats why I cache a lot with RK he is the brains of the outfit and figures out where they are then sends me up the tree or rock climbing while he waits below and gives me sh*t about what will happen to me if I fall.

:blink:

I was wondering if there really are people who like to do difficult caches? There is a cache in Manitoba rated a 5x5 and it sounds like it is very hard. It is called

Brains, Brawn and Beauty Cache

I think I have a right to speak up here...

I have done many a difficult cache. Some we make, some we spend over 7 hours climbing and never reach. I am in a unique position to answer this question as I was just flown off a mountain under a rescue helicopter yesterday morning.

Nope, not lost.. I fell off a cliff and landed on rocks alittle over 40 feet below where I slipped.. Will this keep me off the hard caches? heck no.. I found the cache before the accident so I do get to claim FTF and all that...

I really enjoy the challenges, just takes me awhile to get around to them sometimes..

For now, I am going back to the horizontal position.. be safe out there.