Where Do You Get Ammo Cans?

BooBooBee

I had a few of these in my garage, but have run low. They date back a few years, so my source is long gone. Where do YOU get ammo cans on the cheap? (I like these containers best 'cause they're tough, airtight and already relatively cammo'd)

I know about cheaperthandirt.com, but I don't find $19.95 PLUS shipping for six cans a really great deal. Then again, it's been YEARS since I bought cans...perhaps inflation over that time DOES make $19.95 a good deal?

There are two army surplus stores in my area where I get my cans.

At one place they are 5 bucks for the skinny ones and 7 for the large ones (sorry I don't know the actual size but I am sure you know what I mean).

At the other one they are 6 for the small and 10 for the large.

The one with the higher prices is closer to my house so sometimes I go there instead of driving 30 minutes to the other one. :lol:

I bought some from eBay last month. Look for the auctions where they are selling 5 or 6 in one lot. I got 6 big 50 cal cans for just under $30.00 shipped. Some were a little dirty but they weren't beat up at all and had good seals. I even had enough left over to buy a cheap can of flat black and red oxide primer. (Did you know they card us young looking thirty-somethings at K-Mart when buying spray paint?)The young girl working the register actually asked me if I was over 18.) :lol:

I bought some from eBay last month. Look for the auctions where they are selling 5 or 6 in one lot. I got 6 big 50 cal cans for just under $30.00 shipped. Some were a little dirty but they weren't beat up at all and had good seals. I even had enough left over to buy a cheap can of flat black and red oxide primer. (Did you know they card us young looking thirty-somethings at K-Mart when buying spray paint?)The young girl working the register actually asked me if I was over 18.) :blink:

Even more interesting is that here in Utah even my 15 year old son was able to buy spray paint for a geocache without any problem or any ID. But then I always say that we are still the Wild West out here. :D

Is there a cultural difference here? In Canada we use Tupperware containers or equivalent (I use plastic containers that used to hold the world's best cookie dough, sold only by the Rebecca's Lodge in Canmore, Alberta). Ten miles away in Idaho all the caches are ammo boxes. I don't even know what they look like, poor innocent Canadian that I am.

Is there a cultural difference here? In Canada we use Tupperware containers or equivalent (I use plastic containers that used to hold the world's best cookie dough, sold only by the Rebecca's Lodge in Canmore, Alberta). Ten miles away in Idaho all the caches are ammo boxes. I don't even know what they look like, poor innocent Canadian that I am.

It might just be an availability issue.