Gcuk Interactive Flash Maps

MarcB

Maps are fine , still trouble getting downloads of memory map with descriptions ...just get

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster

Error 404

stats.guk2.com

Sun Sep 5 19:28:45 2004

Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)

does anyone else have problems ...?

When the download is working , I still have probs ... its seems ok to download 2500 , but when you ask for all, there are about 600 missing ...

Sorry for the recent problems with the interactive map (and pretty much the whole of the rest of the site). Geocaching.com started sending out pocket queries which said that most of the caches known to G:UK were no longer in the United Kingdom. Being a trusting sort of a website, G:UK obediently removed them from the database. Jeremy has now sorted the problems and all seems to have returned to normal.

I've regretably had to remove the MemoryMap with descriptions format from the website. Mark has been suffering quite substantial excess bandwidth charges for the site, and a number of people were downloading the entire UK cache database every day. I'm currently working on a system which will allow the download of only those caches which have changed since that user last downloaded the list. This should improve the situation for everybody (especially if I'm allowed to extend the site to permit GPX downloads), and allow those (GC.com premium members) who wish to efficiently maintain a local database of all UK caches.

BTW, the reason that there were 600 caches missing from the full download is that the server was killing the downloads because they were using too much CPU. Sure, I could increase the CPU threshold, but realistically I think I need to seek a better solution.

a number of people were downloading the entire UK cache database every day.

:blink: I'm intrigued as to why anyone would need the entire list of UK caches, and as to downloading them every day, what possible purpose does that serve? OK, for the vague interest of knowing them all, but every day? :D

:blink:  I'm intrigued as to why anyone would need the entire list of UK caches, and as to downloading them every day, what possible purpose does that serve?  OK, for the vague interest of knowing them all, but every day?  :D

Me too. It does seem like strange behaviour.

Why not limit G:UK downloads to 500 caches like G:COM does?

Geocachers are resourceful people and will get the data they want one way or another. If I limited the downloads to 500 caches, they'd just do multiple downloads.

Trying to make people feel bad for being too enthusiastic seems to be the wrong way to go about things. As a website owner, it's my job to come up with server-efficient ways of letting people do what they want to do, not what I want them to do!

Trying to make people feel bad for being too enthusiastic seems to be the wrong way to go about things. As a website owner, it's my job to come up with server-efficient ways of letting people do what they want to do, not what I want them to do!

I like your attitude, quite refreshing :blink:

I download all the caches over the period of a week from gc.com in pq's.

Store data in gsak for caching when called away on business.

However the "show me updates in the past 7 days" might be a better way of doing this - something i found last week and am currently playing with.

I've also just (semi) automated my import and renaming of queries into gsak from zip files (previously they weren't zipped) so that reduces the bandwidth load a fair bit.

:blink:  I'm intrigued as to why anyone would need the entire list of UK caches, and as to downloading them every day, what possible purpose does that serve?  OK, for the vague interest of knowing them all, but every day?  :D

Many thanks for the update .....good to know that the site is developing , as everyone says , you dont realise how useful the interactive maps are till they stop working.

thanks again.

re the intriguing question ....I can't speak for every day , but I did download them all weekly, the reason being that memory map doesn't handle waypoint imports very well, .....it just keeps adding them , rather than overwriting the waypoint if it already exists ...this eventually slows MM down , so the only thing to do is delete and reload them all ..... :D

Didnt appreciate it was causing such a load on bandwidth.....sorry

I download them all every 4 weeks and download the updated and placed every week plus a 60 miles (and growing) from home query. Trying to put together an article on doing this for the magazine with screen dumps etc as getting them all for .com 500 at a time takes a little working out if you dont go trawling through the forums. NB gsak can extract directly from .zip files.

However the "show me updates in the past 7 days" might be a better way of doing this - something i found last week and am currently playing with.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that this will give you the caches about which anything has changes, e.g. new logs, archived. It doesn't !!!

It would be marvelous to be able to make a one-time snapshot to populate a GSAK database and then keep it up-to-date with such an 'updated' PQ. Unfortunately, Jeremy & co haven't got around to it yet. I'm sure gc.com is burdened with many more PQs than needs be, as a consequence ;)

Oh dear, what's the problem now? :blink: I've just tried it, and things seem to be OK on the whole. However, there is currently a problem with GC.com where the country is missing from all UK caches, and is set to Éire for all Irish caches. Unfortunately, G:UK naively trusts what it's told by GC.com, so caches will slowly be disappearing from the G:UK database until either Jeremy or I improve our code!

I'm also in the process of migrating the site onto a cheaper server, so please let me know if anything stops working completely!

Cheers,

Ian