Baseline Coordinates?

studio3d

I thought maybe it was the coordinates of the town, but when I set the town as the waypoint, it took me to the what I guess is the "center" of town- it was in some private residence area... surely not where the cache is... ???

The term "baseline" is used here in place of the "centroid" of the ZIP Code, 01754

The coords for your cache are: 42.419017 -714315

Found by doing a zip search for Maynard MA, typing in the ZIP on the search page, then clicking on the "MapIt" icon and copying the coords from the URL.

Then to check that out, type in the waypoints above, on the search page, and it takes you to a cache named "Ground Zero Too" (GCJBAA) Apparantly ther are some good restaurants in the vicinity!

Mr Smiles (Redding CA)

[The term "baseline" is used here in place of the "centroid" of the ZIP Code, 01754

The coords for your cache are: 42.419017 -714315

Found by doing a zip search for Maynard MA, typing in the ZIP on the search page, then clicking on the "MapIt" icon and copying the coords from the URL.]]

OH! Reading from MAPIT URL~ would not have figured THAT out!

BUT, the URL readings are not what you said... lat=42.4319&lon=-71.4541. I don't even know how to plug them in- doesn't look like enough digits (N = 7 digits, W = 8 digits)

Do I need Premium Membership??

HELP!

(thanks)

OH! Reading from MAPIT URL~ would not have figured THAT out!

BUT, the URL readings are not what you said... lat=42.4319&lon=-71.4541. I don't even know how to plug them in- doesn't look like enough digits (N = 7 digits, W = 8 digits)

Do I need Premium Membership??

HELP!

(thanks)

Studio3d

Wow! I don't know how I got those numbers last night, but, it looks like I am on the

hunt with you today. I'm tickled about the prospect of "teaming" with you all the way from CA.

The coords you got (42.4319 -71.4541) match what I get when keying the Zip Code search to a centroid coordinate. Switching to DD.MM.mm format, it becomes,

42 25.91 71 27.25.

Both of these coords correspond to an area S and E of the Waltham bridge and the intersection with Hwy 62. (not far from the river)

I would do a drive-by of that area...see if there is open space, a park, public land of some kind, and if yes, I'd park and seek with these coords entered in my GPS.

If THOSE coords took me to an area of a military instalation, a swamp, fenced-off area, then i would try another idea about what "baseline" might mean.

If the cache owner is using the term "baseline" in another way, then my second drive by would be to: 42 26.000 -71 26.000

This place is just up the river and across Waltham from a fire station. It looks as though it may be similar in terrain type etc. to the first.

No premium membership is needed to track down the maps and coords.

Hope you'll let me know how "WE" did! :blink:

Mr Smiles

The coords you got (42.4319 -71.4541) match what I get when keying the Zip Code search to a centroid coordinate. Switching to DD.MM.mm format, it becomes 42 25.91 71 27.25.

OK! So I plugged in those coordinates (my GPS receiver wants 3 numbers after the decimal, so I added zero) Biked over... took me to a parking lot next to a building full of stores (including aThai restaurant). First, I went in to the restaurant to see if OSCAR works there (HINT: Oscar will know where it is!), but no. So, WHO is Oscar?? If this is only a 2.5 difficulty, I'm in trouble. Looked around the parking lot area for a half hour or so, no luck.

The coords you got (42.4319 -71.4541) match what I get when keying the Zip Code search to a centroid coordinate. Switching to DD.MM.mm format, it becomes 42 25.91 71 27.25.

OK! So I plugged in those coordinates (my GPS receiver wants 3 numbers after the decimal, so I added zero) Biked over... took me to a parking lot next to a building full of stores (including aThai restaurant). First, I went in to the restaurant to see if OSCAR works there (HINT: Oscar will know where it is!), but no. So, WHO is Oscar?? If this is only a 2.5 difficulty, I'm in trouble. Looked around the parking lot area for a half hour or so, no luck.

Oscar? Remember Sesame Street? You were near a restaurant right?

Oscar? Remember Sesame Street? You were near a restaurant right?

So... Oscar the Grouch? In a trash can? But... if it's IN a trash can, it would surely be thrown out... Anyway, there is a public trash barrel which I didn't check out (restaurants don't use trash cans... they use dumpsters!). Guess I will inspect the trash! Will let you know!

thanks for all the tips...

Yep! So, if you haven't already found it, your 3 digit coords would be:

42 25.914 071 27.246

These come from GC.com, which I think would be the coords you want. The owner

refered to a similar cache that they had placed, and in looking at the description there, they say they are using "baseline coords from GC. com"

In switchhing formats and resources, I find some discrepancies, but they all pretty much point to that area.

Also, another "Oscar" or two to think about, are: Oscar and Felix (The odd couple)

and the trophy given to winners of the "Oscars".

Good Hunting!

Mr Smiles