Best Containers?

Mr. Hinky

I'm sure this has been convered extensively and I apologize for bringing it up yet again but the search function seems to not be working tonight.

What are the best containers that folks have found for caching? We all know ammo boxes and tupperware work well and film canisters are decent for very small things. What other common containers have you found that make great cache holders? Small, medium or large. What are the very best solutions that have been used?

--Peter

But I found a cache last week-end that was a thick, clear glass jar. It had one of those rubber seal lid that had a metal hasp on it. The contents were clean and dry and easy to see. It was about the size of an industrial size mayo jar.

It was easier to open than a rusty ammo can.

I rank it as my fav cache can! icon_smile.gif

OG

That's IT!!! We're going to Fist City, and I'm driving!

If I have a nice area to hide a large container then I like to use those (Appox 2 gal size) plastic jars that pretzels come in. You can fit several large items in it and still have space left over. These are water and very tough. Also since there are clear plastic then the contents can be viewed very easily.

The only downfall to these is since they are very large then it takes a good sized hiding place for them.

You have to be careful with containers that used to hold food. You have to be absolutely sure there is no lingering food odor or the fauna will eat your cache.

I used a container which had previously held pupperoni for this cache. I ran the container through our dishwasher twice and then bleached it thoroughly to try to remove the odors. I then placed it where Darby the wonder pup could easily access it. I left it out for a few days and she completely ignored it, so I figured it was safe to place. I camo'd it and filled it with toy soldiers. I placed the paper items in a baggie as I don't believe that this type of container will remain waterproof for long periods.

I've used one of these for a micro and its worked well. These decon boxes are great for smaller sized caches, though I liked them better when they were $1.25 each. And these capsules make good log only micros, or are great for the initial stages of a multi cache.

My favorite though, is the ammo box because they are cheap, waterproof and nearly indestructible. I prefer the .30 cal size because they're easier to hide and still have plenty of room for goodies.

Gladware bites!!!!

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Plastic jars are okay, especially if they have a threaded lid, "helps" keep the moisture out. They are a bit of a problem when they have a narrow mouth a finder can't get their hand in it: have to dump the whole thing out and repack. Bigger ones work well.

No glass, as others have said.

Myself I use a lot of "Cookie Tins" ~~ a bit of spray paint (sort of a camo job) the price is right .25 t0 .75 at the Good Will store. I find they seal tight enough to keep the moisture out (here in the desert southwest anyway) Plus they come in many different sizes and shapes (round, square, rectangular etc.) Do Well ---- icon_razz.gif

Mzee ~~~ "The Seeker"

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Hinky:

What are the best containers that folks have found for caching? We all know ammo boxes and tupperware work well and film canisters are decent for very small things. What other common containers have you found that make great cache holders? Small, medium or large. What are the very best solutions that have been used?

--Peter

As a friend of mine would say...that's like asking what is the best religion!

It depends on so much. climate, availability, security, cache location, etc., etc.

Perhaps 'What kind of cache containers are used out there' would lead to more inspiration than 'what is the best'.

My 0.02 worth

"Could be worse...could be raining"

quote:
Hey Brian, where'd you get the great inserts explaining the contents of the cache? I like that idea!

If you're referring to the mini geocaching letter, I made it in MS Word. I have several sizes to fit a variety of cache containers.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

One geocacher in our area uses 2 and 3 inch diameter pvc pipe for geocache containers. They are generally 8 or so inches long and have been fitted with one screw on end caps and one closed cap. This individual goes so far as to paint them tan to blend in to our desert environment. They seem to hold up well over time, are water tight, and do not rust. Nice idea.

Veni, Vidi, Cachi ...

Though I haven't found one, I hear the PVC pipes are often very difficult to unscrew after they've been out a while.

They also may look a bit like pipe bombs to the casual observer, so make sure they are clearly marked as a geocache and should also have contact info on the outside.

Originally posted by The Targett Family:

I found a cache that was in a Window Putty Tub.

These are air and water tight.QUOTE]

Yes they may be but one must remeber that to obtain just one container you must go through a lot of PANES!!!

Sorry just my attempt at something SILLy! icon_biggrin.gif

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

For micro caches, I like to use smokeless tabaco containers. the are approx. 3/4" to 1" thick and 2 1/2" around. If you add a magnet to them,they will attach to steel and they can be painted to match the surroundings. also I like to use the magnets sent to you by the Pizza companys to put on your fridg. Paint them and leave corrds on them for 2 or 3 part caches. I like them what do you think?

ScurvyDog Lakewood,CA

We have used clear plastic 4 lb p-nut butter jars with screw on lids for some of our caches. They can fit most travel bugs and a number of smallish trading items. Our latest cache is in a 2 lb square clear plastic p-nut jar also with a screw on lid. Its a bit larger than the p-nut butter jars and works well. Both offer a clear view of the contents. We sometimes tape the goecaching notice to the inside so it can be read from the outside. The point about food smells lingering is worth considering. Although, we've not yet had any problems in our area of NE Utah where there are plenty of critters. Good washing is surely the key.

Betty and I canoed the original hiding area where I had placed an ammo-box cache that had washed out of its hiding place last September. We found the ammo box about 300 yards from where it had washed out. It had been floating (and ice logged) at the edge of the muddy river for over 7 months. Rinsing it off, with a little light scrub brushing, left it as good and shiny original GI painted as new. There wasn't a drop of water or dampness in it either. I sure like ammo boxes! Get them for $3.99 each from "Cheaper Than Dirt." You can't make a pipe-tube box for that! You can get 12 for a $10 shipping charge. They also offer six 30-cal ammo cans for $20 (+ $8 shipping.) I like the 50-cal size. I think a lot of peoples' cache boxes are too small.

quote:
Brian, What is the container that you use for the micro? Where do get them? Thanks.

I forget where I got it, but it's a vial used for

medical purposes. There was a thread here a while ago for a place that sells them in bulk. I'll try to see if I can find it.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Cat-in-the-hat I think you are looking for 50ml plastic (non-sterile) screw cap centrifuge tubes, you can get 500 of them for $80 Here caps are included.

You can get 200 Here but they don't give a price, you can get conical (pointed bottom) or skirted, so they stand upright on a countertop.

If BrianSnat can't find his source, Try doing a Google search for "50ml centrifuge screw cap" If you don't need 200 of them.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

Thanks for the suggestion martmann. I ended up on Ebay and then made email contact with someone that has about 100 bags of 25 Fisherbrand 50ml

Centrifuge tubes and offered then to me at $5 per bag. I requested one bag with the shipping being $4. Here is his email if anyone else is interested. labclutter@yahoo.com

My God, you can find everything on eBay.

Maybe you could leave some of them in caches you find, with a note that says they make good micro-cache containers, and see if they start popping up in your area, or are you going to hide 25 micro-caches?

I used to work for Fisher (in Silver Spring, MD) when I was a teen, and had to count those dadgum things during inventory, (pipettes were the worst to count).

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

Has anyone who has used plastic food storage jars encountered problems with spray painting them? Like has the paint eaten through the plastic? Also if it has a screw on lid has anyone tested to see how dry the contents stayed? Just casually wondering on the last one there, I'd probably put the log book in a zip-lock baggie anyway.

Team Kender - Willow and Dan exploring the Bay Area backroads!

I've used Skippy peanut butter jars and they work great. Clean 'em up and keep the log in a zip lock (as you mentioned) and you should be all set.

A new screwtop container (which never held food) is even better so any critters wouldn't be attracted to it. Instead of painting it, however, I've been using camo-duct tape wrapped around them (seems to work better than paint).

Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by timberlane74 & pumpkin:

These might be a little expensive,but has anyone used one yet? Looking for a first good container to hide our first cache! From reading the different threads it seems to answer most concerns...no food containers...clear so you can see contents...durable and watertight?

http://www.watertightcase.com

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I think $15 per is a tad expensive to place in the woods. An ammo can that costs $3 with another $1 or $2 of paint looks just fine.

here is what I have

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I have used jars that used to have nuts in them. I think they were the 4 lb size, about 6" diameter and 7" tall with a screw-top lid. It has worked good so far. I just scraped off the label and ran the thing through the dishwasher a couple of times. I didn't paint it, but if you are going to paint anything plastic, I would make sure it is completely clean (dishwasher works pretty good), and lightly sand down the surface with 220 grit (or something close to it) sandpaper so the surface is no longer shiny. That will give the paint a little more grip to keep it from flaking off. You might use a primer first and then paint it witht he final color(s) over the primer. I haven't seen any problems in the past with painting most plastics. Just test a small section first if you're not sure. Most plastics aren't affected by the paint, just the solvents and carriers in the paint that evaporate as the paint dries. One thing that is really bad for dissolving is styrofoam.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

Ok, I'm even newer than a beginner, so my suggestion might not be worth much. I just joined in anticipation of my Garmin GPS V arriving next week, but I haven't done ANY geocaching yet.

Still, I live in Kentucky, and I used to do a lot of caving. There were standard kits we made to take along, and it was very important to keep everything dry, especially since Kentucky caves are full of streams, rivers, and mud.

For items that were important and absolutely HAD to stay dry (like matches), we all used baby bottles. Sounds silly, but you can buy them at a any variety store for just a few cents, and I've never, never, never seen one leak. They come in a variety of colors and sizes as well.

Metal kids lunch boxes are often available at thrift stores for less than a dollar. Spray paint covers up the Little Mermaid or Spiderman.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

Metal kids lunch boxes are often available at thrift stores for less than a dollar. Spray paint covers up the Little Mermaid or Spiderman.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

Good idea! Hadn't thought of that one.

I have to agree with Don&Betty. Ammo cans are the best if you want to keep things dry, and they are practically indestructable. We don't have any issues in our area with them being mistaken for a bomb, though I had a decon container mistaken for a possible drug drop. The police left a real nice log when they were done though. Everyone gets a kick out of it.

quote:
Originally posted by SpiderTracks:

We have used clear plastic 4 lb p-nut butter jars with screw on lids for some of our caches.

I like the screw on lid plastic containers too. no rust, keeps the weather out, and easier to put back on than a tupperware lid (you always miss that one last corner...).

Got an originally empty plastic 'penutbutter-like' container at wally-M's for a few washingtons. Problem, of course is the small lip. Had to squeeze the log notebook in, and couldn't fit in what i had planned to be the feature of the cache, a boat load of PC games on CD-ROM. CD's just couldn't fit :(

quote:

These might be OK where you don't get much rain, or snow, or if they are hidden in a well protected spot, but otherwise they leak too much to be of any use.

quote:
The BEST Containers?

Easy...Star-Frit "Lock and Lock" containers. Totally waterproof and easy to use.

Our local Zeller's stroe has them...just ask!

All sizes available too, from regular down to micros.

These are pretty good. I've used a few for stages of multi caches. Be aware though, that the locking tabs eventually come off and the container is useless without them. They also tend to crack in cold weather. However, next to ammo boxes, these are the best alternative other than real Tupperware (which is a bit expensive to use for caches).

quote:
I have used jars that used to have nuts in them. I think they were the 4 lb size, about 6" diameter and 7" tall with a screw-top lid. It has worked good so far. I just scraped off the label and ran the thing through the dishwasher a couple of times.

When using any container that once contained food, you have to make sure they are really, really clean. And just because you can't smell it doesn't mean the animals can't.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Strider:

One geocacher in our area uses 2 and 3 inch diameter pvc pipe for geocache containers. They are generally 8 or so inches long and have been fitted with one screw on end caps and one closed cap. This individual goes so far as to paint them tan to blend in to our desert environment. They seem to hold up well over time, are water tight, and do not rust. Nice idea.

__Veni, Vidi, Cachi ...__

I use these type PVC containers. But you might not want to use them in a urban enviroment, they look too much like a bomb. I use them in the woods where I have had problems with the local wildlife.