Anybody Know How T Log This?

SPAM4U

I FOUND THIS BENCHMARK IN THE BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK. I CANNOT FIND IT IN THE DATABASE. I ASSUME I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT OR WHAT IT'S NAME IS. I TRIED SEARCHING BY COORDIANTES BUT COULD NOT FIND IT. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO LOG THIS BENCHMARK. I WILL UPLOAD THE PICTURE WHEN I FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT.

Spam4u,

There are a few things we would need to know about the disc, and we may be able to tell you more about it. Perhaps even why you cannot seem to upload it here at Geocaching.com.

In lieu of up loading the picture for now, can you tell us, is it a brass disc of approximately 3.5 inches in diameter and what exactly does the bench mark say on it?

For instance there will be the name of the organization to whom it belongs manufactured into the circumference of the disc. It may contain words like "Coast and Geodetic Survey", "National Ocean Survey", National Geodetic Survey", United States Geological Survey", or some such name like that.

In the center of the disc is there a triangle with a dot in the middle, Or a long skinny arrow, Perhaps a line with a small circle in the middle of it or an X otherwise called a Cross Hatch?

Finally, above, and perhaps below the mark in the middle of the disc, What is stamped into the disc? It would be stamped in with hand held stamps and will be what the Name or Number that the disc ws given as one of it's designations.

Finally, What State is the Gunnison National Park located in. We will need to know the State to research the database properly.

Thanks, Rob

SPAM4U -

Don't get your hopes up. If you came up empty with the search by coordinates, it is possible (likely, actually) that the mark you found is not in the Geocaching database. There are tons of benchmarks around that are not in the database. However, we would still like to look around a bit with the info evenfall requested, above.

Also, what are the coordinates you recorded for the mark? It is possible (though very unlikely) that the mark you found is in the NGS database but not the Geocaching database. We would like to search the NGS database by coordinates as well.

will

p.s. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is in Colorado.

Edited by seventhings