Geocaching To be Outlawed?

Team Aspenoro

On the Denver news the other night it was reported that the nearby Boulder government is about to prohibit geocaching in its open-space parks. They say that the environment is being trampled. [You need to understand that Boulder is a tree-hugging town -- some say a twenty-five square mile island surrounded on all sides by sanity.]

Colorado State Parks is/are working on rules to control caches within its park's boundaries -- permit required to place cache, mandatory renewal application each year, etc.

Any other governments moving in this direction?

On the Denver news the other night it was reported that the nearby Boulder government is about to prohibit geocaching in its open-space parks. They say that the environment is being trampled. [You need to understand that Boulder is a tree-hugging town -- some say a twenty-five square mile island surrounded on all sides by sanity.]

Colorado State Parks is/are working on rules to control caches within its park's boundaries -- permit required to place cache, mandatory renewal application each year, etc.

Should have watched the news the next day. Much better information in this thread.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=79212

It will be interesting to see just what the future holds. The number of people is increasing fast, while the amount of public land available for a host of users gets relatively smaller. Geocaching is just one of activities being impacted. Many outdoor activities are already impacted by permits, and numbers restrictions. Try floating many of the rivers in the Western states, or hiking in many some of the more popular areas of Southern Utah. Many of those activities already require permits, and those permits are getting almost impossible to come by. I would anticipate things will only get tougher over the years.

Wow, the government has figured out a way to make money on Geocaching. How neat is that?!? It shocks me they don't charge a tax to look at the trees while we are out and about... :lol:

Wow, the government has figured out a way to make money on Geocaching. How neat is that?!? It shocks me they don't charge a tax to look at the trees while we are out and about... :lol:

Just because a permit is necessary DOESN'T mean there's a fee. PA State Parks and State Forests require a 'permit' but there is no charge. As a matter of fact, they even GIVE you a sticker to place on your cache. Some are using the "Official Geocache" Stickers available from gc.com, and others are using a custom sticker....

Yes the local conservation area in my area are also making placement only possible by permit. once a month maintence checks and anual renewal.  they want to keep the number of caches limited in each area

Sounds reasonable and fair to me.

I agree.

I actually like the idea of requiring you to check your cache at least once a month. Besides, we're supposed to anyway!

Just because a permit is necessary DOESN'T mean there's a fee.  PA State Parks and State Forests require a 'permit' but there is no charge.  As a matter of fact, they even GIVE you a sticker to place on your cache.  Some are using the "Official Geocache" Stickers available from gc.com, and others are using a custom sticker....

In my experience, many permit requirements don't have a fee when first enacted, but almost all have (escalating) fees after they're in place. I've seen it so many times that it seems like a deliberate strategy - start out with a no or low cost permit requirement to reduce initial opposition, and then tack on a fee a few years later, then raise the fee whenever you need revenue. :lol:

I don't object to requiring a permit or a fee, if the fee covers the cost of issuing permits, inspecting and removing abandoned caches, etc. What annoys me is when the fees escalate beyond the cost of the regulatory activity and start generating general revenue for the government. And don't even mention the "lockbox" concept - I've yet to see one that couldn't be raided when times get tough.

It shocks me they don't charge a tax to look at the trees while we are out and about... 

They kind of do that already in many areas. I'm not sure of the status of the "use fee" trials that were put into effect a few years back. Many National forests and some of the BLM land in my area charge it now, but I haven't heard the plans for keeping or expanding the program. For the most part, the assorted Federal "Golden" passes cover these fees. The one I bought this year was $65 for the year and it covers the National parks as well. In addition, I had to shell out my $70 for a state park pass, as many of the areas I like visiting are state parks, and I've found the annual pass saves me money most years. Should you want to camp in the forest, lauch a boat or hike any of the permit required areas in the Federal controlled land of course these all cost extra. Last year the individual permits alone cost me over $150 in addition to the annual pass fees. This year, I didn't get out as much this summer so the costs will be less. Within ten more years however, I would expect the fees to be considerably higher, and cover entrance to virtually all goverment owned lands. I would also expect the permit system to limit visiting many areas to a once in a lifetime thing.

I recently got excited when I thought I had found a new spot no one had thought of for a cache. It was a place called "Lost Lake" and I had noticed it on a local map. I made my first finders certificate, packed up my newly purchased camo container and off I went. I drove to what looked like the closest entry point and found my choice for point of entry was on private land. So, around to the other side I went. After finally finding a place that looked ok to park, in I hiked. It took me all morning but I finally found the lake. It was a gorgeous, hidden spot in the middle of the woods! I was pleased.

I found a great place for the container and marked the coords. etc. and headed home to get approval. Upon requesting it, I discovered I was on Michigan State Park land and would need to get approval in the form of a Michigan State Parks permit. I headed back up the next day and got the permit, along with a list of rules about what was acceptable. One rule was having a transparent container--which I did not. I headed back home and found one online. Bought it and after receiving it, headed back up to submit my application.

I also learned that in addition to following all the State Park rules, I would have to pay a $35 fee....and that I could only keep my cache in place for THREE MONTHS! At this point I already had all the work into it and I liked the spot so I paid it. Ouch!

I did find out from my local approver (who was very helpful!) that they had recently worked with the folks in Lansing and got the time period extended to "up to one year" but my permit states 3 months only. I am going to look into that and see what I can do. Now I can understand why there wasn't a cache in such a perfect spot already.

It's tuff. In our area there aren't very many local parks and I can't think of one without a cache or two already in it. So, if State Game Land is off-limits and it costs $35 per cache (for only 3 months) in the State Parks, finding a spot for a worthy hide has become a real challenge....other than my own backyard!

To take a completely different tack on this issue, I read within the last couple of months in Indianapolis Monthly magazine that the Indy Parks staff will actually help new cachers get started geocaching at Holiday Park. There are only a couple of caches in this park, however someone within the parks department sees the value. I would certianly not interpert this as a policy statement on behalf of the City of Indianapolis, however in a time when we see nothing but rules and permits being implemented, it is definately a much needed bit of good news. :lol:

To take a completely different tack on this issue, I read within the last couple of months in Indianapolis Monthly magazine that the Indy Parks staff will actually help new cachers get started geocaching at Holiday Park. There are only a couple of caches in this park, however someone within the parks department sees the value. I would certianly not interpert this as a policy statement on behalf of the City of Indianapolis, however in a time when we see nothing but rules and permits being implemented, it is definately a much needed bit of good news. :lol:

Thats great news. Many of the park systems just want to know what is going on in their parks. I have several I have worked with that after sitting down with then and talking we walked away with a fully open system. Many time is just takes teaching them how to pull a PQ for their park and they are happy. Responsible caching is what it takes. Level headed communication is always the best bet.

To take a completely different tack on this issue, I read within the last couple of months in Indianapolis Monthly magazine that the Indy Parks staff will actually help new cachers get started geocaching at Holiday Park.  There are only a couple of caches in this park, however someone within the parks department sees the value.  I would certianly not interpert this as a policy statement on behalf of the City of Indianapolis, however in a time when we see nothing but rules and permits being implemented, it is definately a much needed bit of good news. :lol:

Thats great news. Many of the park systems just want to know what is going on in their parks. I have several I have worked with that after sitting down with then and talking we walked away with a fully open system. Many time is just takes teaching them how to pull a PQ for their park and they are happy. Responsible caching is what it takes. Level headed communication is always the best bet.

That's great news...

I don't know if TPTB are doing this yet, CO Admin, but perhaps gc.com could provide a free account for the Park Ranger head office so they could pull PQ's freely? Might make a goodwill gesture for typically cash strapped agencies... You can go to them with something in hand for them, rather than them being told it costs 'X' dollars...

They might be doing this already, but if not - it's cool 'swag' to take with you to meetings.

To take a completely different tack on this issue, I read within the last couple of months in Indianapolis Monthly magazine that the Indy Parks staff will actually help new cachers get started geocaching at Holiday Park.  There are only a couple of caches in this park, however someone within the parks department sees the value.  I would certianly not interpert this as a policy statement on behalf of the City of Indianapolis, however in a time when we see nothing but rules and permits being implemented, it is definately a much needed bit of good news. :D

That's great news...

I don't know if TPTB are doing this yet, CO Admin, but perhaps gc.com could provide a free account for the Park Ranger head office so they could pull PQ's freely? Might make a goodwill gesture for typically cash strapped agencies... You can go to them with something in hand for them, rather than them being told it costs 'X' dollars...

They might be doing this already, but if not - it's cool 'swag' to take with you to meetings.

:lol:

Yes the local conservation area in my area are also making placement only possible by permit. once a month maintence checks and anual renewal.  they want to keep the number of caches limited in each area

Sounds reasonable and fair to me.

I agree, I think its a good step and it doesn't really seem to bother many of the cachers in my area. the conservation areas do a good job of maintaining parks so i don't mind this at all.

ther is no fee for the permits in our area. its just a control method

Edited by Rogue_monkey

wow! this is really sad. i'm pretty new to geocaching and it's really gotten me into the outdoors a lot more and you would think that park and forest people would encourage people to come enjoy it. gc encourages picking up litter, not disturbing the area and being generally no disruptive to the environment! yay CITO!

i am also surprised by it because i just learned about an account created by huron-clinton (detroit area) metroparks (user: metroparks) where THEY are placing caches and encouraging people to go. i think that is totally cool and i'm heading over there to do some this weekend!

i don't mind paying a reasonable fee to get into a state park, and i wouldn't be opposed to getting a permit and checking on a placed cache every month. i think that is a reasonable request. having to renew a permit every three months seems a bit much, but once a year seems about right.

can't we just get along with them!? i think some (little) people do have the big egos and are a bit too protective. what do they want to do, hide the parks and forests away so no one can go even enter them?

eh, i'll keep going where i can go to cache. now i'm afraid to place a cache! :laughing:

Our state parks in MI have decided to charge a fee for the placement of a cache. The result has been the loss of at least 20 times the value of the placement fees in entry fees from seekers. We're working on this with them.

So far most of the other "big guys" here have embraced it openly, but do require free permits just so they can monitor up-front where they are going. It's a very small hoop to just through really, it works out well for all involved.

Northeast Ohio parks are set up differently. Each county has its own park system. Each park system has its own rules. Cuyahoga county, where I live and the home of Cleveland, allows caches but you must obtain a free permit. This allows the park system make sure sensitive areas are not disturbed. The cache is allowed for one year and then must be removed. I like this idea because each year new caches are placed. Lorain and Geauga counties work on a free permit system. Lake county parks forbid caches. State parks are different still. You must contact the site manager for permission to place a cache. There is no fee. City parks are generally open.

Reading this thread is disheartenening, particularly since most of the valid points as to why geocaching should be supported by the government have already been offered; CITO, regular visitors, etc.

I live in Alaska, a state where the majority of the land is either BLM, National or State Park. Most of my favorite finds have been on paths and trailway systems I'd have never discovered had it not been for the cache placement.

As a result I've taken friends and family members and paid the parking fee each time; had I not been a geocacher the state would not have gotten my money.

All in all I think the level of responsibility and level-headedness of the participants of geocaching are higher than average. For the most part we practice what we preach and are more interested in the preservation of the environment (if only to have a beautiful playing field) than the normal tax-payer.

I would be disappointed if the powers that be tried to make the sport my wife and I have come to love a literal cash-cow, just because they could.

Reading this thread is disheartenening, particularly since most of the valid points as to why geocaching should be supported by the government have already been offered; CITO, regular visitors, etc.

I live in Alaska, a state where the majority of the land is either BLM, National or State Park. Most of my favorite finds have been on paths and trailway systems I'd have never discovered had it not been for the cache placement.

As a result I've taken friends and family members and paid the parking fee each time; had I not been a geocacher the state would not have gotten my money.

All in all I think the level of responsibility and level-headedness of the participants of geocaching are higher than average. For the most part we practice what we preach and are more interested in the preservation of the environment (if only to have a beautiful playing field) than the normal tax-payer.

I would be disappointed if the powers that be tried to make the sport my wife and I have come to love a literal cash-cow, just because they could.

Whom are you referencing? This thread is about The good that has come out of wroking with land manager. What are you talking about when you reference "a literal cash-cow"?

Here in Western New York, we were just invited out, by the State Parks to give a demonstration on geocaching. We were at the park today from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. to show people how to use a GPS and lead them on a few temporary cache hunts. I would estimate that there were at least 30 people that showed up for the event (it had been advertised), not to mention the 20 or so geocachers that came to help out.

The parks realize that geocaching is bringing lots of visitors to their areas. The park we were at today is to be the test bed for their new geocaching policy. They plan to implement a free permit system. We reviewed the permit application this morning and suggested a few practical modifications.

They will have a few restrictions on where caches can be placed (ie. if you have to climb a tree, it's not allowed). Each cache will need to have a permit issued annually (free) and they will place a sticker on the cache to indicate that it's been approved.

We are working out the details with them for what the regulations will be exactly, but overall it was a good day for geocaching in New York!

I felt that the first post was a good place to start when replying;

Maybe I took the general direction of this thread wrong, but I wrote my response based on the words of the originator.

Are state governments moving toward charging for caching permits? On top of parking fees, membership fees, etc? Is this a direction we need to prepare ourselves for?

I, for one, hope not.

I'm in Washington state and if past history is any indication we will soon have to pay to play. You can bet there will be a pencil pusher somewhere watching user numbers go up in the parks and federal areas and if geocaching is part of the equation then it will be regulated. Wait till the enviromentalists jump on the band wagon.....and this is a ligitment concern in many areas that I've cached. I have no problem paying a nominal fee for placing caches or a user fee if the money is used for that purpose. I hate to be cynical, but who thinks that will ever happen! Too many local and state governments are strapped for money, so if they can tap into geocaching then it's going to happen eventually. The free permit system is a visable start to that I'd say. We should all just shut the heck up and quit talking up geocaching......do all your geocaching at night in camo gear and be as quiet as a mouse.....maybe we'll get another year or two for free..... :rolleyes:

I felt that the first post was a good place to start when replying;

Maybe I took the general direction of this thread wrong, but I wrote my response based on the words of the originator.

Are state governments moving toward charging for caching permits? On top of parking fees, membership fees, etc? Is this a direction we need to prepare ourselves for?

I, for one, hope not.

Most that have permit systems charge nothing. A few charge a nominal fee to cover the cost of the permitting process. The only state that I'm aware of that charges major fees for geocaching is NC, which wants $30 for a 6 month permit to place a cache (unless that's changed).

Edited by briansnat

I also learned that in addition to following all the State Park rules,  I would have to pay a $35 fee....and that I could only keep my cache in place for THREE MONTHS!

I stated this in an earlier post in this thread. This is what I had to pay in a Michigan State Park. I'm still stewing about it.

I am planning to let a little time go by with this new cache, and then I would like to meet with the park ranger to discuss the possibility of extending the deadline. I would like to point out how if it weren't for geocaching, I would never have even been in this park, paid the $25 for a seasonal parking sticker, etc. I also plan to share some of the logs that have been written about how beautiful the trails are, how they never knew this place existed, etc. I would also like to point out that geocaching brings others into the park who may not normally explore it. And, these people pay a parking fee. The park may actually lose money by forcing us to pay such a large fee for such and for such a short time period. Less caches=less geocachers=less $ in parking fees. I would also like to remind them of the CITO.

I understand the need to be mindful of nature, and I have no problem with the permit idea, checking the cache once a month, using a transparent container, that kind of thing. But the steep fees and short time frames just rub me the wrong way. I hope I can somehow make a difference.

Does anyone think it would be inappropriate to do this? I'm just a little guy in this organization....

I would like to know where did they come up with this $35 fee?.....I would contact the Park dept. or whatever agency is administering this land and ask to see the public comments and decision making process. Sometimes I wonder how often this happens and if the process is followed. Here in WA state we have a vast region of Burea of Land Management land....public land that is Federally controlled. Many areas that I use to hunt and fish are being closed to access. It's gone to the point where I'm getting ticked off big time and have been doing some digging. As far as I can tell it's not a decision making process like it should be, but several individuals that decide they don't want public access anymore. Namely a large rancher that leases the grazing rights for $1 per ac. This is getting away from the geocaching side of it, but an example of what can happen to "our" public lands if we stick our heads in the sand and don't question what's going on.

Silly me... here I am thinking that geocaching actually INCREASES one's love and respect for the outdoors!!! In fact, many end up leaving the park cleaner than before they arrived? Outside of an occasional walk around Waldon Pond, my wife and I rarely trekked out into the woods. In the few weeks since we've started geocaching, we've spent more time hiking out in the woods than in the previous 10 years combined.

Sure, finding a cache sometimes takes us off the beaten path, but its not like anyone is going through the forrest like a Brazillian logging company. State parks, conservation land and reserves are to be enjoyed, not roped off. One of the reasons why these lands are protected is so that we all can see what nature in its more true form.

I don't understand policy sometimes. You hear all over about how we are encouraged to go out into the outdoors and take in the splendor of nature... get away from the aspalt jungle and see things as they were meant to be. And now that someone has created a pastime that encourages poeople to see the great outdoors, it is often discouraged and/or made difficult.

Go figure.

Silly me... here I am thinking that geocaching actually INCREASES one's love and respect for the outdoors!!! In fact, many end up leaving the park cleaner than before they arrived? Outside of an occasional walk around Waldon Pond, my wife and I rarely trekked out into the woods. In the few weeks since we've started geocaching, we've spent more time hiking out in the woods than in the previous 10 years combined.

Sure, finding a cache sometimes takes us off the beaten path, but its not like anyone is going through the forrest like a Brazillian logging company. State parks, conservation land and reserves are to be enjoyed, not roped off. One of the reasons why these lands are protected is so that we all can see what nature in its more true form.

I don't understand policy sometimes. You hear all over about how we are encouraged to go out into the outdoors and take in the splendor of nature... get away from the aspalt jungle and see things as they were meant to be. And now that someone has created a pastime that encourages poeople to see the great outdoors, it is often discouraged and/or made difficult.

Go figure.

There you go, thinking rationally again.

Eco-fascists believe that all of us are the problem and that we should all be banned from any of these areas as we will all act like maniacs once we get there and disturb nature's delicate balance. blah, blah, blah.

Agree, geocaching makes for more people attending parks, and paying admission and usage fees. It makes for a group of people who will CITO and help the parks stay nice. It makes for a great encouragement to see parts of given parks that are off the beaten path, thus spreading users out, and decreasing the impact of human density in the parks.

Look now you have me thinking rationally. So much for that application to Earth First.....:)

A few months ago I popped into a US Forest Service visitors center, and started chatting away about a series of caches I just placed on Tahoe National Forest land. I asked if it was ok - I'd heard there where problems with state parks. The Ranger said contemptuously "this is not a state park, this is National Forest." She said they ENCOURAGE GEOCACHING - it attracts hikers, and they want that.

In fact, they have a task force assigned to finding ways to use Geocaching in they're own programs. For example, as interpretive signage, or trail routes. I thought I was going to get hired on the spot as a consultant! Instead, she just wanted to learn more about how GC itself (she was on the task force.)

Unless things have changed, it sounds like we're a Go with the Feds...

:)

Just my $.02 worth.......Let's step back and take a look at WHO actually owns the State Parks......WE DO! You pay it in your taxes, fees, and anything else the state can belk you for. If we don't like something that's going on in our state who do we talk to......a state representative. Start by educating the one's that actually make the rules.......Let them know that the state run parks are being fee'd and permitted to death and that it is keeping people from using the parks for their initial purposes. Tax payer's enjoyment! :(

I think you'll find many States want to either control the number of Caches in their parks, ban them totally or have some sort of regulation over them (such as filling out a permit form). Let's face it Geocching can harm the environment, but in consideration of other activities I hink its pretty harmless. Hey, what about all them idiots ( I know I'll offend someone with this) in their four wheel drives that tear up all sorts of places, snowmobillers in Yellowstone in winter, Dirt-bikers, Mountain Bikers (I'm one of them.. ride on marked trails ONLY) and countless other outdoor activities. I think my real pet peave are the occasional, and frequent hikers that think they can just toss away whatever they have ith them, litter really pisses me off.

Gads, have I gone bomkers here?

Way over here on the right coast of the U.S.A., in litle old Delaware the Sate is now putting together a form for cachers to fill out before they hide caches. In theory that doesn't bother me. What get me is that the Rangers in the Park closest to me are sort of against Caching. But, we are winning. Some of the Rangers thought we buried Caches, sort of like our brother animals bury caches of food. And one of the big mucky-mucks in the Park system is a Geocacher himself.

So, what to do. Education is the best weapon. Hey, we all pay our taxes, the land belongs equally to the hinter, the birder and the Geocacher. Let the people in power know what its all about, you might even find an ally or two that cache or could become Geocchers.

It's sad that some places feel they have to or can impose fees for this. I'm surprised the government doesn't charge a user's fee for tapping into the satellites.

In the Netherlands, the parks are getting into the GPS mode. They actually have organized tours and events using GPS.

Although I do see the value of wanting to place some restrictions on delicate ecosystems. Most cachers use common sense, but I saw a cache spot this weekend that was located in the middle of sand dune grass which I thought was a bad place. THat grass is usually placed to keep the dune in place. Where we were there were no signs saying to keep off the dunes, so maybe it's not an issue there, but I was uncomfortable.

I hate the idea of charging fees for caching, although stealth caching by night certainly adds an edge that thrill of the hunt!

Forest Land Managers

Land Management

There may be some very resourceful info here as to how it is implemented.

I always hear talk about getting things done.

We are the GOVERNMENT...(suppose to be)..if you make it that way,this means really getting involved in creating a Land like we have now for the future generations to enjoy as we do.

Geocaching is the best way I have found to approach this with all whom seem to be getting more involved now.

I have gone far and seen many greater things through this portal we call geocaching it has changed the people and the way we think about our Planet.

I have rambled on enough now so I will go and get something done.or at least try to.

As I said before.....EDUCATING the people that mandate these areas whether it be a city park or a National Forest IS the only way to keep our "sport" alive and enjoyable for all. It's all in perception.....I'm dating myself here :blink: but do some of you remember the commercial on TV that portrayed the family of bears that made a picnic in the front of a suburban house, they tore up the fence to make a bon-fire, roasting hot dogs, and left trash everywhere........Perception....When you tell people that we are searching through the woods for a "box of trinkets", they see heards of people making trails, trampling undergrowth, throwing trash everywhere and generally disturbing natures balance. The "knee jerk reaction" is to put a stop to it ( or at least slow it down). We have to MAKE them understand the benefits and responsibilities that geocacher's take in thier natural outdoor environment. And they need to understand that not ALL people that are in this sport act like the family of bears... <_<

When myself and N5PNE decided to place our cache in Fountainhead State Park now renamed Lake Eufaula State Park, we met the park manager on the way out of her office and said... Hey Sue!!! We wanna put a cache here is that ok??

Apparently she knew what it was and didn't have a problem with it, even suggested a part of the park that didn't have one already.

Now as far as our Corp of Engineers, in their policy book that is available to the public, there will be nothing up to and including caches placed on Corp grounds. Supposedly this is because of Native American ruins in our area or something. I don't know.

Don't matter that much to me. I would pay $30 bucks a year for all the enjoyment I have gotten from people finding my cache (even if it is off its rocker, ummm that is coordinates... a bit, reportedly).

okpondlady/N5PNE