Garmin 60c

Fritoman

I just bought my Garmin 60c I have been pulling my hair out trying to connect to GSAK I just found out It doesn't suport usb can you buy a cable to work with GSAK and a usb adapter

This is currently true, but only for a short while as I think GPSBabel, which is the background program GSAK uses for communications, has a beta version testing this capability. In the mean time, if you have loaded mapsource trip and waypoint manager, it's only a two click trip from GSAK to the uploaded waypoints. Once your filter is set to show the waypoints you want to download, click on the Mapsource Export button and set up how you want the waypoints to appear on the GPSr. Make sure that you have checked the "Load File into Mapsource After Generation?" Box. This opens the mapsoure program where you can download with a couple of clicks.

Hope this helps.

Cache Well

Yep. This question is frequently asked: http://gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm#3

I have GPSBabel talking to 60's, 76's, and 96's over USB and have already put a copy in the hands of those that contributed to the development effort and it is possible to use it from GSAK via the 'custom exports' option. I've had lengthy discussions with Clyde about how to Do The Right Thing in GSAK and am confident that he'll do it.

Yep. This question is frequently asked: http://gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm#3

I have GPSBabel talking to 60's, 76's, and 96's over USB and have already put a copy in the hands of those that contributed to the development effort and it is possible to use it from GSAK via the 'custom exports' option. I've had lengthy discussions with Clyde about how to Do The Right Thing in GSAK and am confident that he'll do it.

Any ideas as to when this version will be available for use with GSAK? I await with baited breath. I just spent a little time trying to make a clear step by step workaround to provide to those that have been asking about this, so that it doesn't look as clumsey as my post above.

Cache Well

Yep. 

I have GPSBabel talking to 60's, 76's, and 96's over USB and have already put a copy in the hands of those that contributed to the development effort 

Any ideas as to when this version will be available for use with GSAK?

Well, I don't speak for Clyde, but judging from his announcements today, he's been busy. ;-)

The USB support is taking longer than I expected, but it's going well. Tracks, waypoints, and routes are now moving both directons fluently. (Note to self: next time Garmin publishes tech doc, ignore it and proceed directly to reverse engineering mode. Save self the time of writing to Garmin as questioning the obstacles laid will bring no answers anyway.)

I just put the first build in the hands of the contributors - of which Clyde/GSAK is a major one - during the wee hours of Monday night, so he hasn't exactly had a lot of time to integrate it sensibly into menus and such. When I put out that prerelease, I included instructions on how to use it with GSAK by smuggling it behind it's back, replacing the GPSBabel executable, and tinkering with the options in custom exports. But right now, it's hardly a 'no excuses' solution.

At this very moment, I'm working on the USB support in other windows, staring at dumps of the protocol analyzer so we can solve this for other OSes that Garmin chooses not to support. I've been surprised at the lack of interest from the OS/X and Linux crowds, but I'm continuing with it anyway.

I just spent a little time trying to make a clear step by step workaround to provide to those that have been asking about this, so that it doesn't look as clumsey as my post above.

The description in the FAQ is terse, but pretty straight forward. The punchline is that there are workarounds that aren't painful until we have this all worked out and it's in the free versions of everything. Until then, things are moving right along in the hands of the folks that helped put it together and so far, they're pretty happy with what they're seeing.

In the words of Banks/Collins/Rutherford:

If it's gonna get better, it's gonna take time

If it's gonna get better, we've gotta start now

cause I know, everybody can feel it

and I know, everybody will see it

cause it shows, and that shows I'm not dreaming

(If anyone ever needs a Genesis lyrics fone-a-friend, let me know...)

In the interim, if anyone wants to join the fun, contact me. These GETs on the control pipe with commands of 0x0d and 0x09 are undocumented (sigh) and, I suspect, key...

dump.gif

Edited by robertlipe