Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Two suggestions/requests regarding exporting waypoints to OziExplorer:

An option to _merge_ waypoints exported from GSAK with those

already loaded in OziExplorer. I know it is possible to do this by merging

the resulting .wpt-file into Ozi, but I want to do _everything_ from GSAK :-)

After having a look at the API (v1.08) i guess it is a bit difficult since the

merge functionality isent mentioned there. Please tell me I am wrong and that it can be included in a future version!

This one i do think I have mentioned before but;

A possibility to omit the dialogue boxes when doing an export to Ozi.

It is a reflexion of one of the ways I use GSAK/Ozi. I repeatedly export different

filtered sets of waypoints to give me a graphical glance of where unfound/bugs/mine/etc...is placed on the map. Or when I import a new gpx-file (be it a PQ or a single cache) I want to do a quick export to see changes on the map.

When I am in this mode I always exports to a 'dummy' file. What I am intresting in

is to see the waypoints on the map. The file is overwritten each time.

Is it possible to have an option to do a 'direct export' to ozi? Using the settings from last 'proper' export and omit the file dialogue and the confirmation click to load to ozi?

hbrx.

(not my fault that I want to do everything with GSAK. It tempts me to it :-)

1.An option to _merge_ waypoints exported from GSAK with those

already loaded in OziExplorer. I know it is possible to do this by merging

the resulting .wpt-file into Ozi, but I want to do _everything_ from GSAK :-)

After having a look at the API (v1.08) i guess it is a bit difficult since the

merge functionality isent mentioned there. Please tell me I am wrong and that it can be included in a future version!

GSAK uses the Ozi Api to communicate with OziExplorer. Unfortunately there is no "merge waypoint" function in the API so currently this is just not possible.

2. This one i do think I have mentioned before but; A possibility to omit the dialogue boxes when doing an export to Ozi.

It is a reflexion of one of the ways I use GSAK/Ozi. I repeatedly export different

filtered sets of waypoints to give me a graphical glance of where unfound/bugs/mine/etc...is placed on the map. Or when I import a new gpx-file (be it a PQ or a single cache) I want to do a quick export to see changes on the map.

Version 4.2 allows macros (automation scripts) to be run from within GSAK as well as the command line. Macros do not come up with message boxes, so you will be able to set up a macro to do this (perhaps also combined with other commands to automate the whole process). I will also have a look at adding an option to the Ozi export to suppress the message boxes.

A thread in the Getting Started section (here) had a comment about being able to right click and send a waypoint to the GPSr in EasyGPS but not in GSAK. Have you thought about adding that ability? I've used the flag, filter, send combo, but some were saying this would be easier. Thanks.

No problems. I will add this into 4.2

Hi Clyde, Thank you so much for the great program. I have been using GSAK for about 6 months with no problems. I just downloaded 4.1.3 and registered it and immediately ran into some snags.

1. When trying to filter for caches "placed" between certain dates, the subset instead shows caches with "last log" between those dates.

2.When attempting to create a GPX file for a subset within a specified mileage area I continually get an error message.

Any ideas?

2. This one i do think I have mentioned before but; A possibility to omit the dialogue boxes when doing an export to Ozi.

Version 4.2 allows macros (automation scripts) to be run from within GSAK as well as the command line. Macros do not come up with message boxes, so you will be able to set up a macro to do this (perhaps also combined with other commands to automate the whole process). I will also have a look at adding an option to the Ozi export to suppress the message boxes.

Great.

Looks forward to both the omission of dialogue and macro functionality.

Could perhaps be an idea to set up a website/page for exchange of 'smart' macros

as all the smart users out there find new and creative ways to use GSAK via macros?

hbrx.

1. When trying to filter for caches "placed" between certain dates, the subset instead shows caches with "last log" between those dates.

Hmmm, are you sure you are reading the column headings correctly?. I cannot reproduce this, nor have I had any other reports of this problem. Also check your filter to see exactly what heading is in the yellow type.

2.When attempting to create a GPX file for a subset within a specified mileage area I continually get an error message.

Any ideas?

What exactly is the error message you are getting?

Great.

Looks forward to both the omission of dialogue and macro functionality.

Could perhaps be an idea to set up a website/page for exchange of 'smart' macros

as all the smart users out there find new and creative ways to use GSAK via macros?

hbrx.

Not sure we are quite at that stage yet.

But certainly, if it takes off (and the demand is there) I could set up a forum at my web site.

Here is something I haven't seen addressed yet on any of these pages. When I download the HTML file that GSAk creates to my Cassiopeia I can veiw all the cache pages, but when I try to use the bar across the tops of any of the indexes, they never jump down to the associated area. ie I am in the name index and want to jump down to the J's I tap on the J at the top and the screen flickers like it is going to do something but just reloads itself. Has anyone else experienced this or solved it? Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug (doubt this as I seem to be the first to notice it)? Or is this something that is specific to the Cassiopeia?

Bumping this forward to get some thoughts back.

Editted for spelling (typing with one hand while holding a baby).

Edited by MedicP1
As I mentioned, when trying to create a GPX file from a subset within a specified mileage, I am having problems. I get an "Exception Log" and it says it cannot create the file. Have never had this problem with other versions

When you get this "Exception Log" and click on the OK button, it should then ask to send an email to me. Let it do this so I can see the exact details of the error.

If you have a firewall or for some reason this is not happening, then please send me an email attaching the file gsak.elf

You will find the gsak.elf (the .elf stands for "error log file") in the install folder of GSAK

Here is something I haven't seen addressed yet on any of these pages. When I download the HTML file that GSAk creates to my Cassiopeia I can veiw all the cache pages, but when I try to use the bar across the tops of any of the indexes, they never jump down to the associated area. ie I am in the name index and want to jump down to the J's I tap on the J at the top and the screen flickers like it is going to do something but just reloads itself. Has anyone else experienced this or solved it? Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug (doubt this as I seem to be the first to notice it)? Or is this something that is specific to the Cassiopeia?

Bumping this forward to get some thoughts back.

Editted for spelling (typing with one hand while holding a baby).

Sorry I did not reply to this one the first time, but I really had nothing of value to say.

Unfortunately I have had no other reports of this problem. I am not sure what "browser" your Cassiopeia uses, but these links work fine on the standard browser that comes with all other Pocket Pcs that I am aware of.

Edited by ClydeE

Hi Clyde,

After a bit of tinkering version 4.1.3 works like a charm with the USB support for Garmin 60C. You have now reached the end of cache file management! Hehe! One question that I couldn't find the answer for in the forums or elsewhere. I am used to using Mapsource to input the waypoints and it uses the waypoint name(ie gck903) instead of the title. GSAK entered the waypoints to my 60C using abbreviated title names. Is there a way to change this? I promise I spent an hour trying to figure this one out.

Thanks,

John

Hi Clyde,

After a bit of tinkering version 4.1.3 works like a charm with the USB support for Garmin 60C. You have now reached the end of cache file management! Hehe! One question that I couldn't find the answer for in the forums or elsewhere. I am used to using Mapsource to input the waypoints and it uses the waypoint name(ie gck903) instead of the title. GSAK entered the waypoints to my 60C using abbreviated title names. Is there a way to change this? I promise I spent an hour trying to figure this one out.

Thanks,

John

Please see "using special tags" in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help410/hs10300.htm

But the short answer to your question is to use %code for the waypoint name rather than %smart (or vice versa depending on your requirements)

Is there anyway to work in "decoded hints" into the grid printout of caches? I'd like to be able to print out a list in the current streamlined grid format, but with decoded hints. I know I could just choose the other format and the hints would be printed, but I don't want that format. =\

Is there anyway to work in "decoded hints" into the grid printout of caches? I'd like to be able to print out a list in the current streamlined grid format, but with decoded hints. I know I could just choose the other format and the hints would be printed, but I don't want that format. =\

Yes, that is what the custom column is for.

You can use any of the special tags in the custom column - the one you want is %hint

Now that I think about it, though it would be nice for streamlined printouts with hints, its really not too practical most of the time. I ended up using the HTML format and just narrowing down the list of caches to ones that would MORE THAN LIKELY actually still be there and BE EASILY FOUND in a lunch break.

Why is it that everytime I always think of some dumb idea to include in GSAK that it turns out its really not worth it after you take advantage of the filters in GSAK! I'm so glad that I paid for a piece of software that is so well thought out and actually functions so well.

Yes, that is what the custom column is for.

You can use any of the special tags in the custom column - the one you want is %hint

Hot dadgum, you'd already thought of this. Thanks Clyde!

How about this one Clyde, I noticed I can save a filter's current center point and have it restored when I use that filter.... BUT I also noticed that when I get rid of that filter and go to another or to NONE the centerpoint remains the same as the one restored from the previous save filter. Is there anyway to have it restore the center point back to what it was prior to selecting a filter that had a stored center point?

How about this one Clyde, I noticed I can save a filter's current center point and have it restored when I use that filter.... BUT I also noticed that when I get rid of that filter and go to another or to NONE the centerpoint remains the same as the one restored from the previous save filter. Is there anyway to have it restore the center point back to what it was prior to selecting a filter that had a stored center point?

No, you just need to reset your centre point via one of the many options available:

1. Restore a filter that does have a centre point

2. Click on the home tool bar button

3. Right click on a waypoint and set that as the centre point

4. From the main menu Centre Point => Post code

5. From the main menu Centre Point => Locations

Edited by ClydeE
User Data in the Waypoint splash - It seems as if it "varies" in what is accepted versus displayed. Sometimes I get several characters then sometimes the contents is cut-off.

How it is suppose to work?

The maximum length for the user data field is 15 characters (use the user notes if you want more information)

Version 4.1.3 does not check how many characters you input, but does truncate after 15 characters.

This has been fixed in 4.2 and will only allow a maximum of 15 characters on input.