Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I follow pretty much the same process as above, but once I am viewing the current GC page, I click on the 'download gpx' and import it into GSAK. GSAK then sets the archive flag automagically and I have the added benefit of storing the last few logs and usually the admin's note archiving it into the GSAK database.

Edit to note that I only do this for caches that I have found. Typically, before adding a new pq to GSAK, I delete all entries for caches that I have not looked for. This pretty much guarantees that the data on unfound caches is current.

Edited by katguy
I follow pretty much the same process as above, but once I am viewing the current GC page, I click on the 'download gpx' and import it into GSAK.  GSAK then sets the archive flag automagically and I have the added benefit of storing the last few logs and usually the admin's note archiving it into the GSAK database.

Edit to note that I only do this for caches that I have found.  Typically, before adding a new pq to GSAK, I delete all entries for caches that I have not looked for.  This pretty much guarantees that the data on unfound caches is current.

Certainly. There is always more that one way to skin a catguy (sorry, couldn't resist)

And if you do download the individual GPX files this way, you may save a bit more effort by saving them in the same folder, then taking the option to load a folder of GPX files rather than doing them one at a time.

Thankyou for another good approach.

Edited by ClydeE
GSAK *should* show on the taskbar...shows on mine, anyway.

Yes, mine too. (on all the computers and operating systems I have here)

It should show in the task bar and I am not aware of any instance that it won't.

You may be able to hide it with certain 3rd party utilities but on a stock standard system it should show.

If you are running windows XP it could be that you just have so many icons that you need to scroll to the next pane of the task bar.

Otherwise try rebooting your computer, then load GSAK as the first program - can you see it now?

Is there a way to keep the geocaching waypoint GCwxyz in the gpx file while still using the %smart=10 conversion routine? I want to continue vreating the smart 10 digit name, bu also see the original waypoint name in the webpage hen I look at it in my PPC when using gpxsonar?

Thanks Alan

Typically, before adding a new pq to GSAK, I delete all entries for caches that I have not looked for. This pretty much guarantees that the data on unfound caches is current.

Just a note about updating archived caches in GSAK...this is a task I have neglected in my database, and I was quite surprised to see the amount of "dead wood" I had to prune. Although it appears pretty painless to update one by one by using some of the techniques suggested in other posts, I realized after a half dozen or so that with over a hundred to check out, I'd best use Katguy's global approach.

Typically, before adding a new pq to GSAK, I delete all entries for caches that I have not looked for.  This pretty much guarantees that the data on unfound caches is current.

Just a note about updating archived caches in GSAK...this is a task I have neglected in my database, and I was quite surprised to see the amount of "dead wood" I had to prune. Although it appears pretty painless to update one by one by using some of the techniques suggested in other posts, I realized after a half dozen or so that with over a hundred to check out, I'd best use Katguy's global approach.

I concur with katguy and the last poster... this approach is definitely a great answer. Clyde, is there a way to code something that will make this approach a bit easier. Something similiar to the following:

1) Upon loading a new PQ have the option to a) merge the current database with a longtime running backup database, :mad: remove all UNFOUND caches in the current database.

Obviously, point 'a' would require that you make an initial backup of your database before you proceed with this approach, but thereafter everytime you load a new PQ the current database would be merged with the old database (with the newer overwrtiting the older, or however you want to do it) and then all UNFOUND caches in the current DB will be removed, thus allowing the database that you load into your GPS being up-to-date. So you'll have one always-running, always-building, all-knowing database and then one current, up-to-date database.

The reason I ask about this is I'm not sure that GSAK supports merging two databases at the moment. Without the ability to merge two databases this approach kind of falls short because it would require you to make a new backup database everytime you load a new PQ and that'd get quite annoying and it wouldn't even really be of any use.

Did anyone follow what I was asking for? (hint: merge current to backup db, erase unfound caches, import new data) :mad:

Typically, before adding a new pq to GSAK, I delete all entries for caches that I have not looked for.  This pretty much guarantees that the data on unfound caches is current.

I concur with katguy and the last poster... this approach is definitely a great answer. Clyde, is there a way to code something that will make this approach a bit easier. Something similiar to the following:

1) Upon loading a new PQ have the option to a) merge the current database with a longtime running backup database, :mad: remove all UNFOUND caches in the current database.

Obviously, point 'a' would require that you make an initial backup of your database before you proceed with this approach, but thereafter everytime you load a new PQ the current database would be merged with the old database (with the newer overwrtiting the older, or however you want to do it) and then all UNFOUND caches in the current DB will be removed, thus allowing the database that you load into your GPS being up-to-date. So you'll have one always-running, always-building, all-knowing database and then one current, up-to-date database.

The reason I ask about this is I'm not sure that GSAK supports merging two databases at the moment. Without the ability to merge two databases this approach kind of falls short because it would require you to make a new backup database everytime you load a new PQ and that'd get quite annoying and it wouldn't even really be of any use.

Did anyone follow what I was asking for? (hint: merge current to backup db, erase unfound caches, import new data) :mad:

Sorry, you lost me on this one.

I kind of think Katguys approach is quite simple.

Just set a filter on not found (you can save this filter so your can select from the drop down list) then, right mouse click and select "delete=>All waypoints in filter"

This will get even easier when I allow for macros to be created and run from within GSAK. That is, create a macro that has the requird steps (filter, then delete, then load GPX) then just select the macro from the drop down list.

Is there a way to keep the geocaching waypoint GCwxyz in the gpx file while still using the %smart=10 conversion routine?  I want to continue vreating the smart 10 digit name, bu also see the original waypoint name in the webpage hen I look at it in my PPC when using gpxsonar?

Thanks Alan

If you are using %smart for your waypoint then you can still see the GCXXXX code by using %code some where in the "cache description format" box

I can't recall exactly what the default is for this box but I think it is something like %name or some people even use %name by %by (%dif/%ter)

You could change this to someting like %name by %by (%dif/%ter) %code

Not that it really matters, I guess the key thing here is to build your cache description using the %code tag somewhere in your description (combined with any other special tags) so you can still see the GCXXXX name.

Edited by ClydeE

1) Upon loading a new PQ have the option to a) merge the current database with a longtime running backup database, :P remove all UNFOUND caches in the current database.

Just set a filter on not found (you can save this filter so your can select from the drop down list) then, right mouse click and select "delete=>All waypoints in filter"

This will get even easier when I allow for macros to be created and run from within GSAK. That is, create a macro that has the requird steps (filter, then delete, then load GPX) then just select the macro from the drop down list.

I agree Clyde, my whole idea was pretty stupid. I wasn't quite "thinking" when I wrote it as I had just gotten up. Now that I've thought about it a bit... about the only thing from that post that *WOULD PROBABLY* be useful would be one more option on the 'Open' dialog; one of "Remove 'Not Found' Caches." That'd be the simplest (even over a macro). :mad: Not sure if its a good idea or not, but I'd definitely have it checked off 24/7. :D

1) Upon loading a new PQ have the option to a) merge the current database with a longtime running backup database, :P remove all UNFOUND caches in the current database.

I agree Clyde, my whole idea was pretty stupid. I wasn't quite "thinking" when I wrote it as I had just gotten up. Now that I've thought about it a bit... about the only thing from that post that *WOULD PROBABLY* be useful would be one more option on the 'Open' dialog; one of "Remove 'Not Found' Caches." That'd be the simplest (even over a macro). :mad: Not sure if its a good idea or not, but I'd definitely have it checked off 24/7. :D

pcmike, i think you may be looking too deep for an easy solution if i understand what you're chasing.

Simply filter on "found caches" with any attempted caches "user flagged" by yourself - this will remove all your "unfound" caches.

Then merge your new gpx and you're up to date - i think!

Edited to insert a very lazy "g"

Edited by fivegallon

Actually I've settled on just using the: Clear all unfound caches, load new PQ. Simply enough... it would just be simpler if there was an option on the Open dialog to delete all unfound caches before importing new data. Thanks guys for all the help, suggestions, etc. Appreciate it. This approach seems to be the best! :mad:

I'm almost ready to pay to register GSAK, but I've got a couple of questions.

I've got a Garmin 60C. How does the uploading of work? Will my found caches get flagged as found in the database after uploading waypoints?

Is there anyway to log the finds without still going to geocaching.com?

And finally, on the condensed HTML printouts, is there any way to customize the layout? In particular, it seems that teh difficulty numbers aren't printed.

Thanks for the great program,

Jeff

I've got a Garmin 60C. How does the uploading of work? Will my found caches get flagged as found in the database after uploading waypoints?

Yes (but if you need the exact steps, then perhaps a Garmin 60C user might like to comment)

Yes, there are quite a few ways to do this in GSAK. The easy way is to just add the found column to your display view (Tools=>Options=>Display) One mouse click in the box to log a find with the current date, double mouse click to log a find but prompt you with a calendar for the date.

And finally, on the condensed HTML printouts, is there any way to customize the layout? In particular, it seems that teh difficulty numbers aren't printed.

You can use any of the special tags to modify the description of the cache for the condensed HTML format. All cache descriptions for HTML (Including the condensed format) in controlled by the "Waypoint description for HTML view" via Tools=>Options=>Html

If you want to see the difficulty and terrain then I suggest you use something like %name by %by (%dif/%ter)

Is there a way to keep the geocaching waypoint GCwxyz in the gpx file while still using the %smart=10 conversion routine?  I want to continue vreating the smart 10 digit name, bu also see the original waypoint name in the webpage hen I look at it in my PPC when using gpxsonar?

Thanks Alan

If you are using %smart for your waypoint then you can still see the GCXXXX code by using %code some where in the "cache description format" box

I can't recall exactly what the default is for this box but I think it is something like %name or some people even use %name by %by (%dif/%ter)

You could change this to someting like %name by %by (%dif/%ter) %code

Not that it really matters, I guess the key thing here is to build your cache description using the %code tag somewhere in your description (combined with any other special tags) so you can still see the GCXXXX name.

When creating the GPX file, I use %typ (%Dif/%Ter) %By %code %name in Cache Description Format box and %smart=10 in the Waypoint Name box.

When looking at the web page in gpxsonar, I only get the 10 digit smart name. However, when I createa Mapopolis maplet from the gpx file, the original GCwxyz does get displayed when tapping on the icon on the Mapopolis map. (It does get cut off however, if the cache placer's name is too long).

The problem is in the web page of the gpxsonar. It's no where to be found.

PS I'm using a PPC.

???

Edited by Alan2

Yes, there are quite a few ways to do this in GSAK. The easy way is to just add the found column to your display view (Tools=>Options=>Display) One mouse click in the box to log a find with the current date, double mouse click to log a find but prompt you with a calendar for the date.

Um...just to ensure there's no misunderstanding (there's more than one way to interpret "log a find"), Clyde's alternative will easily log a find in your GSAK database. But if you want to log a find on the cache page within geocaching.com (i.e., be reflected in your geocaching.com statistics), you still have to go there to enter it into the system.

Put another way: GSAK will be aware of any logs you enter at geocaching.com so long as the cache is then downloaded as a gpx file or pocket query. But geocaching.com has no way to know about data you enter in your own GSAK database.

When creating the GPX file, I use %typ (%Dif/%Ter) %By %code %name in Cache Description Format box and %smart=10 in the Waypoint Name box.

When looking at the web page in gpxsonar, I only get the 10 digit smart name. However, when I createa Mapopolis maplet from the gpx file, the original GCwxyz does get displayed when tapping on the icon on the Mapopolis map. (It does get cut off however, if the cache placer's name is too long).

But if the information is in the GPX file then I suggest the issue (perhaps a size limitation with the cache description - try placing %code as your first tag) lies with GPXSonar and your question should be addressed in that direction.

Edited by ClydeE

But if the information is in the GPX file then I suggest the issue (perhaps a size limitation with the cache description - try placing %code as your first tag) lies with GPXSonar and your question should be addressed in that direction.

Just following on ....

You would still need to ask GPXSonar why the full description is not showing, however I just did a test and found that if you use %smart=10 %code for the waypoint name (not the description), you get to see both the smart name and GCXXXX code.

That didn't happen when I tried it. The web page still shows the smart name only. No GC code.. Did you change the "maximum characters"? I left mine at 10.

Tks Alan

You must change it to at least 17 (10 for the smart name, 1 for the space, 6 for the %code) otherwise you will only get the first 10 characters of the waypoint name - which as you have just found out is only the smart name.

Um...just to ensure there's no misunderstanding (there's more than one way to interpret "log a find"), Clyde's alternative will easily log a find in your GSAK database. But if you want to log a find on the cache page within geocaching.com (i.e., be reflected in your geocaching.com statistics), you still have to go there to enter it into the system.

Put another way: GSAK will be aware of any logs you enter at geocaching.com so long as the cache is then downloaded as a gpx file or pocket query. But geocaching.com has no way to know about data you enter in your own GSAK database.

That's what I thought. It would be great if geocaching.com had some web services to allow programmatic logging. Maybe another perk for premium members...

That's what I thought. It would be great if geocaching.com had some web services to allow programmatic logging. Maybe another perk for premium members...

This is in the pipeline and comes under the banner known as the "sand box". Unfortunately geocaching.com don't seem to have set a time frame for the imlementation of this "sand box"

If I go to all of the multicaches I went to and use the "Corrected Coordinates" to make the coordinates match the actual final coordinates, will I overwright them when I update the gpx file?

Thanks

NO.

That is the whole point of corrected coordinates. Once you correct them, nothing will change them until you "uncorrect" them (That is, delete the corrected coordinates)

What info is protected? I know if I archive a cache it will be unarchived with my next GPX update. How about finds? Are they 'unfound' when I update?

If it is not already in the docs, a list of items that will be overwritten by gpx update would be nice. I have 'locked' some of my records just because I am not sure ;)

What info is protected? I know if I archive a cache it will be unarchived with my next GPX update. How about finds? Are they 'unfound' when I update?

If it is not already in the docs, a list of items that will be overwritten by gpx update would be nice. I have 'locked' some of my records just because I am not sure ;)

If you have locked a record, then all fields are protected, otherwise only the corrected coordinates are protected.

Regarding the found status, this does depend upon the option you take when you load the GPX file. Please refer to the help button on the GPX load dialog or view online here.

I have a minor filtering problem I need to solve.  I'm sure it's a very simple solution, but it's avoiding me at the moment...

I'm planning a short trip and have 3 pocket queries merged.  I know how to filter along my route, and I've done that, but at my destination, I'd like to include a radius around my hotel.  What is the most efficient way to do this? 

Ideally, I'd like to send one file from GSAK to my gps & palm, not to a seperate one for the route, and another for the final radius.

The easiest way I can think of to do this would be to create a new database. Then from your merged database create two gpx files, one for the route and one for the radius around the hotel. Next select the blank database and import both files just generated. Now download all caches from this new database to you PDA and to your GPSr. You can delete the temporary database at your leasure.

Hope this helps

Cache Well

Another solution that would work (and that I often utilize) is the user flag. Start by clearing all user flags, then filter along your route and set the user flags. Then filter around the hotel and set the flags. The last step is to filter by user flag and you are all set to send to your results to the gps and pda. I do this all the time, sometimes merging 4 or 5 different filters into one list, and it has worked well for me.

Another solution that would work (and that I often utilize) is the user flag. Start by clearing all user flags, then filter along your route and set the user flags. Then filter around the hotel and set the flags. The last step is to filter by user flag and you are all set to send to your results to the gps and pda. I do this all the time, sometimes merging 4 or 5 different filters into one list, and it has worked well for me.

Very good point :P

This method does allow you effectively combine several filters. It also eliminates the need to create a new database and export/import GPX files.

Clyde,

Strikeforce1 showed me GSAK at an event cache near Buffalo NY that we both attended. Downloaded and registered it right away!!

1st off my compliments on the EXCELLENT program!!!!

One request for a future "enhancement"

Could we have a new "status attribute" and "count collumn" for "personal" waypoints such as home, work, campground etc..? It would be nice to be able to swiftly select those to use as a temporary centerpoint.

Thanks again for the GREAT program.

Mickemt

It would be nice to be able to swiftly select those to use as a temporary centerpoint.

Easy:

Tools-->Options-->Locations

In the text box, you can make all kinds of locations. To select those spots as the centerpoint,

Centerpoint-->Locations

And it should display a list of your locations from the locations text box. You just click on whichever one you want.

Now my question:

I'd like to automate GSAK using the macros... and I think I understand the commands, but what I don't understand is where to put them.

The docs say, "You run GSAK from the command line:" Um, what's the command line?

Is this the same mysterious command line as used in GPSBabel? Good, cuz I have no idea what that is either.

It appears I just create a .txt file (in Notepad, perhaps?) with my desired commands--and then I run it. Is that right?

Could someone give me a brief tutorial of where to start; I think I can handle it from there.

Jamie

Could we have a new "status attribute" and "count column" for "personal" waypoints such as home, work, campground

I am really not sure this is necessary. You can add personal waypoints with the cache type of other, then just filter on the "other" cache type to see them all. If you have a lot of them you may want to look at the "User Data" field to enter codes that would further allow you to segregate them in filters.

It would be nice to be able to swiftly select those to use as a temporary centerpoint.

If you are using these waypoints as centre points a lot, then I suggest you add them (or instead of putting them in as waypoints) as locations (Tools=>Options=>Locations, or just right mouse click and select "add to locations"). Now at any time you want to set one of your "personal waypoints" as the centre point, from the main menu select Centre Point=>Locations

Edited by ClydeE

I think I see the point of what is being asked. If you set a non-cache waypoint for whatever reason it shows up as an unfound cache and can mess up your filters, etc. I wanted my non-cache waypoints in GSAK to consolidate all my waypoint management in one place so I could drop redundant software.

At first, I added user data to my non-cache waypoints and made new filters to exclude these, but the results were still in error if I used the count status panel instead of filters. Though it is not exactly convenient, I resolved it by moving my non-cache waypoints to another database.

A more elegant and handy solution (I preer having all my home-turf waypoints in 1 database) would be to have a non-cache block in the count status panel and base it either on a non-cache icon or a non-cache container type. The other blocks would filter these out automatically and, of course, this would have to be added to the filter selection screens.

I think I see the point of what is being asked. If you set a non-cache waypoint for whatever reason it shows up as an unfound cache and can mess up your filters, etc.

A more elegant and handy solution (I preer having all my home-turf waypoints in 1 database) would be to have a non-cache block in the count status panel and base it either on a non-cache icon or a non-cache container type. The other blocks would filter these out automatically and, of course, this would have to be added to the filter selection screens.

I guess I diddn't state my point clearly enough. That (quoted above) is what I'd like to do. I was thinking also that being able to assign another "color" to those would be usefull as a visual reference.

Mickemt

I think I see the point of what is being asked. If you set a non-cache waypoint for whatever reason it shows up as an unfound cache and can mess up your filters, etc. I wanted my non-cache waypoints in GSAK to consolidate all my waypoint management in one place so I could drop redundant software.

At first, I added user data to my non-cache waypoints and made new filters to exclude these, but the results were still in error if I used the count status panel instead of filters. Though it is not exactly convenient, I resolved it by moving my non-cache waypoints to another database.

OK, consider it added to "the list".

Please be aware that this list is longer than both arms at the moment, so it could take some time before becoming a reality.

Now my question:

I'd like to automate GSAK using the macros... and I think I understand the commands, but what I don't understand is where to put them.

The docs say, "You run GSAK from the command line:" Um, what's the command line?

Is this the same mysterious command line as used in GPSBabel? Good, cuz I have no idea what that is either.

It appears I just create a .txt file (in Notepad, perhaps?) with my desired commands--and then I run it. Is that right?

Could someone give me a brief tutorial of where to start; I think I can handle it from there.

Jamie

Anyone have any idea?

Jamie

Now my question:

Jamie

Anyone have any idea?

Jamie

the command line is typically the black box called a dos prompt.

click start/run and type cmd (hit return)

then you'd typically do....

cd\progra~1\gsak

c:\progra~1\gsak\gsak /run "gsakcommands.txt"

gsakcommands would contains commands like

LOAD File="home-39489.gpx"

Clyde,

Is there any way I can update my database of benchmarks to reflect my finds without doing it manually, one mark at a time?

I downloaded a .loc file from gc.com, showing only found marks, changed the waypoint symbol to "Found Geocache", then merged it with my existing database. Of course, nothing happened, as I'm sure GSAK is looking for a .gpx field other than the waypoint symbol to toggle found/not found.

Even the ability to shift-click/ctrl-click existing database entries so they could be changed in groups would be an improvement to anything I'm currently aware of.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Greg!

I don't know of any way to log finds for benchmarks except manually. Since GSAK is not explicitly benchmark aware yet, we're stepping outside of the program's built-in capabilities. The best I found was the admittedly tedious process of starting with your found benchmarks stats page (for reference only) and looking them up in your GSAK database to edit one by laborious one.

Before too much longer I think Clyde intends to allow some global editing capabilites. But unless somebody chimes in with another angle I don't know about, we're stuck with a lot of keypunching.

Edited by embra
Now my question:

Jamie

Anyone have any idea?

Jamie

the command line is typically the black box called a dos prompt.

click start/run and type cmd (hit return)

then you'd typically do....

cd\progra~1\gsak

c:\progra~1\gsak\gsak /run "gsakcommands.txt"

gsakcommands would contains commands like

LOAD File="home-39489.gpx"

I'm with Jamie on this one;the help file is a bit ambiguous.

Dom,are you saying we just need to create a batch file?

If so would the batch file contain all the commands? - or would the batch file point to a command.txt as suggested in the help file?

Is there any way I can update my database of benchmarks to reflect my finds without doing it manually, one mark at a time?

Currently no. However, version 4.2 will allow Global updates for this type of thing.

I downloaded a .loc file from gc.com, showing only found marks, changed the waypoint symbol to "Found Geocache", then merged it with my existing database. Of course, nothing happened, as I'm sure GSAK is looking for a .gpx field other than the waypoint symbol to toggle found/not found.

Very close, and that would have been my suggest work around. GSAK actually uses the <sym> element to update your found status. The <sym> element is not in the loc file (only GPX has this element) , but as you found out <type> is. Funny enough it is actually "Geocache Found" that it is looking for (not "Found Geocache")

So to make this work on the loc file you just tried

1. Do a global replace of "Found Geocache" to "Geocache Found"

2. Do a global replace of "type>" to "sym>"

Let us all know how you get on :P

Jamie, just spent some time and got the automation to work.

Create your text file in notepad as suggested

this would have something like :

load file=c:\my documents\downloads\49008.gpx

next - on your desktop,right click,create new shortcut

under "program" tab -

Cmd line - gsak.exe /run perth.txt (perth=the name of your txt file)

Working - "c\program files\gsak (or wherever you have gsak located

click apply

click ok

and that's it!

edit: easiest to keep the txt file in your gsak dir

Edited by fivegallon
Jamie, just spent some time and got the automation to work.

Create your text file in notepad as suggested

this would have something like :

load file=c:\my documents\downloads\49008.gpx

next - on your desktop,right click,create new shortcut

under "program" tab -

Cmd line - gsak.exe /run perth.txt (perth=the name of your txt file)

Working - "c\program files\gsak (or wherever you have gsak located

click apply

click ok

and that's it!

edit: easiest to keep the txt file in your gsak dir

And the other way is just to create a file with a .bat extension and create a shortcut to this file (or just double click it in windows explorer)

For example, just create a file called "auto.bat" using Notepad with the single line:

c:\progra~1\gsak\gsak.exe /run gsakcommands.txt

Note that this first part must be the path to your gsak.exe file (This is where you installed GSAK).

Edited by ClydeE
So to make this work on the loc file you just tried

1. Do a global replace of "Found Geocache" to "Geocache Found"

2. Do a global replace of "type>" to "sym>" 

Let us all know how you get on  :P

Great suggestions! I've learned a couple of things also, but my mental clarity is fading fast, so I want to review things further before I post them. I'm off for an all-day adventure tomorrow, but hope to follow up with another post either tomo night or Sat. morning.

First off I am a Mac guy, but I broke down and bought a cheap laptop because VPC just doesn't do the job for me. I have very little knowledge of some of the intricacies of Windows and I have run into a problem that seems to be Windows related.

I have a file in GSAK 4.1.3 and selected a number of caches. I try to export the set to Streets and Trips. I went throught the file/export/S&T link, name the file, and select an existing folder. I have tried it with a brand new folder as well as an previously existing folder. I then get an error message that I can't generate the file because the folder does not exist. I am using XP Home. What am I doing wrong here?

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to be able to right click on a waypoint name (cache) in GSAK, and get to the cache location in Memory-map?

Thanks,

Jon

I suspect your question is really "how to export to Memory Map format"?

GSAK supports Memory map via the Maptech eXchange format. File=>Export=>Maptech....

If you really only want just that one waypoint, then set the user flag for the waypoint, then filter on user flag before doing the export.