Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

ok another one of my dumb questions. I'm working on upcoming trip. I've used the filter with a GPX route to narrow down my search area. I've then gone thru and set user flags to remove other caches I don't wish to find. So here I started with a 8000 cache database and narrowed it down to 140 cache (one days worth of find!) :wacko:

Is there a way to save this that when I open it only these 140 will show?

RobertLipe:

Thanks for the tip - I'll have to try that. The hardest part may be figuring out which app will write the GPX file with the non-caching type info.

Firehouse16 -

I don't think you'll lose any info in the new GPX file. Of course it will only have the 140 caches, but for those it will have all the info for those caches. You will still have the original GPX file as well. Make sure to save it in a new file so as not to overwrite the original.

I do something like what you are doing fairly often. I will start with a large set of caches and then pare them down. I'll then write out a new GPX file and then create a new GSAK database into which I'll load the new file. The ability to fill the UserData field with numbers then lets me order the caches so that I can use the Condensed HTML Print to get a handy printout with caches in an order more useful for finding them.

Geo-Jedi

I think I have discovered a minor bug in GSAK.

I maintain a database of every cache in my state via 9 pocket queries that update over several days. It works slick.

Recently I started using GSAK to generate a separate CSV file for each Cache Type to import into Microsoft Streets and Trips. By doing it this way I can assign custom Icons to each file and the maps look great.

I discovered that one cache seems to be included in ALL the queries. It's one of the Project APE caches. It always shows up as the first cache on the CSV file.

I then realized that this cache actually should not have shown up in any of the filters, since these caches have their own cache type, which GSAK does not include.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
I discovered that one cache seems to be included in ALL the queries. It's one of the Project APE caches. It always shows up as the first cache on the CSV file.

I must admit, I didn't even know this cache type existed. How long has this one been around and what exactly is it. Can you give the the GC code so I can have a look at this type of cache.

I must admit, I didn't even know this cache type existed. How long has this one been around and what exactly is it. Can you give the the GC code so I can have a look at this type of cache.

It looks forgettable:

Project Ape

and,

Project Ape

It looks forgettable:

Project Ape

and,

Project Ape

Also, don't forget if you don't want it in your database you can do a permanent delete so it will never show up again - even when you load a GPX file that contains it.

Edited by ClydeE
ok another one of my dumb questions. I'm working on upcoming trip. I've used the filter with a GPX route to narrow down my search area. I've then gone thru and set user flags to remove other caches I don't wish to find. So here I started with a 8000 cache database and narrowed it down to 140 cache (one days worth of find!)  B)

Is there a way to save this that when I open it only these 140 will show?

This is not a dumb question at all. The answer should also help others to understand how to get around similar types of problems.

You have two options here. Up to you which suits you best.

Option 1 – Keeping your selection in the same database

When you have your filter narrowed down to the 140 caches you are interested in, export this sub set to a GPX file.

You can now go on with other activities in your database, including changing the user flags. Now at any time you want the 140 sub set again:

1. Clear all user flags (User Flags=>Clear All)

2. Load back in the 140 GPX file, making sure your check “existing only” for the database options , check “set user flag if waypoint updated/added”, check “and only the user flag is updated”

3. Now set a filter on User Flag = set

You now have your sub set of 140 caches again. The key to this method is step2. By setting these options, the only thing that gets updated in your database is the user flag.

Option 2 – Create a new database of just the 140 caches

After you have your filter of just the 140 caches you want, then select Database=Save As.. making sure to check the “Only the current sub set” option. You can now select this database at any time you want to do something with just the 140 sub set. This method works well if you just want a snapshot for a short period of time. However, if you need to keep these caches updated with the latest information from geocaching.com you would need to remember to load the your latest GPX file (select the “existing only” option) into this database as well. This is the downside of option 2.

Edited by ClydeE

I'm not sure how many of them exist or even still exist. They were one of the first promotions that GC.COM did, kinda like the Yellow Jeep thing only smaller and they used caches instead of travel bugs.

The one thats local to me is GC1169

GC1169 - Mission 9: Tunnel of Light

I'm not sure how many of them exist or even still exist. They were one of the first promotions that GC.COM did, kinda like the Yellow Jeep thing only smaller and they used caches instead of travel bugs.

Hmm, If I load this cache it just comes in as cache type "other"

I then only get this exported when I select cache type "other" to streets and trips

(GSAK version 4.1.3)

What version are you runnin? What Cache type does it show up in your database?

Hmm, If I load this cache it just comes in as cache type "other"

I then only get this exported when I select cache type "other" to streets and trips

(GSAK version 4.1.3)

What version are you runnin? What Cache type does it show up in your database?

I'm running the latest (4.1.3). However I just realized that the Filters were setup under a previous version. So I went in a checked and sure enough, all the filters have the new "Benchmark" and "Other" boxes checked. I had forgotten that those had been added.

This is probably an artifact of the upgrade.

Looking for an easier way to create an arc filter to deal with long distances to be traveled.

When trying to construct an arc filter in GSAK, I’ve tried to find a lazy way to plot all the coordinates. So far, the best I can come up with are two work-arounds (I’m using Mapsource North American City Select v4 and MS Word).

Neither is a great solution for the truly lazy. I’m hoping there is a better way.

1. Travel the route first and save the track log from the GPSr. I’ve experimented with cut and pasting the track log coordinates into Word, doing a search and replace to properly format the coordinates for the arc filter in GSAK. This seems to work OK, but doesn’t do a whole lot of good if you haven’t traveled the route before.

1a. This creates an arc filter with way more coordinates than needed, but the number of points don’t seem increase the work involved.

2. Create a route in Mapsource and then export the route to a tab delimited text file. Do the routine with Word, cut’n’paste again into the arc filter. But. The waypoints can be great distances apart if Mapsource routing doesn’t see a need to create a waypoint. In a recent example, two waypoints were 59 miles apart. If I set the arc filter to 5 miles, it would mean 49 miles of the route would have excluded any caches in that stretch (wouldn’t it? I hope I explained that right).

2a. The only way I can see to fix this would be to manually create waypoints at less than five mile increments. Since the routing in Mapsource doesn’t display the route waypoints, it would be a guessing game as to where the voids are. A tedious and laborious project, unless I’m missing something.

At this risk of making this a terribly over long post, a suggestion for the GSAK arc filter: That a single space preceding the W latitude (with no comma present) be processed as though there was a comma. That would eliminate the whole find and replace routine I’ve described above.

Thanks,

Pen

2. Create a route in Mapsource and then export the route to a tab delimited text file. Do the routine with Word, cut’n’paste again into the arc filter. But. The waypoints can be great distances apart if Mapsource routing doesn’t see a need to create a waypoint. In a recent example, two waypoints were 59 miles apart. If I set the arc filter to 5 miles, it would mean 49 miles of the route would have excluded any caches in that stretch (wouldn’t it? I hope I explained that right).

2a. The only way I can see to fix this would be to manually create waypoints at less than five mile increments. Since the routing in Mapsource doesn’t display the route waypoints, it would be a guessing game as to where the voids are. A tedious and laborious project, unless I’m missing something.

2 - There is no need for the export to a text file and the search and replace. GSAK supports the direct load of MapSource files into the arc filter (click on the "load from file" button - see help for more information)

2a - It should not matter if you have 2 waypoints 59 miles apart. The arc filter will follow a straight line between these 2 points, picking up all caches that are x miles (as per your setting) anywhere from this straight line.

Edited by ClydeE

Thanks Clyde, that's great news. A tad more on clarification though...

2 - There is no need for the export to a text file and the search and replace. GSAK supports the direct load of Mapsource files into the arc filter (click on the "load from file" button - see help for more information)

I'm surely missing the obvious, but I don't seem to be able to make that work. Yes, GSAK will open the .mps file and import into the arc filter all of the waypoints, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with routes. The routing coordinates are not imported, nor are tracks.

Maybe I'm missing some feature of Mapsource or GSAK, but it still looks to me creating waypoints one by one in Mapsource or doing the cut'n'paste thing with routes and tracks are the only options.

2a - It should not matter if you have 2 waypoints 59 miles apart. The arc filter will follow a straight line between these 2 points, picking up all caches that are x miles (as per your setting) anywhere from this straight line.

Roads are pretty straight Down Under I take it? You can wander pretty far off a 59 mile straight line in my neck 'o the woods! For instance a drive from Walla Walla Washingtion (don't laugh, I know you got funnier sounding places than that) to Lewiston Idaho will deviate more than 25 miles from the 56 mile straight line between the two. And that's far from unusual.

That is good to know though, since the manual creation of waypoints can be significantly less for those stretches that are relatively straight.

Oh, by the way, my miserable attempts to get GSAK to accept a .mps file with only a route in it caused GSAK to hang several times. The error messages are on thier way to you.

Thanks,

Pen

I'm surely missing the obvious, but I don't seem to be able to make that work. Yes, GSAK will open the .mps file and import into the arc filter all of the waypoints, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with routes. The routing coordinates are not imported, nor are tracks.

Maybe I'm missing some feature of Mapsource or GSAK, but it still looks to me creating waypoints one by one in Mapsource or doing the cut'n'paste thing with routes and tracks are the only options.

Sorry, yes, the MapSource load only supports waypoints. However, you should be able to convert routes and tracks using GPSBabel - at lease this would save the cut, paste, replace part.

About filtering (ver.4.1.2)

Created a line filter from P1 to P2, distance 100km. P2 locates east from P1

Result: got all caches within 100kms (North & South) from the line between the points P1 and P2, as expected.

Also got the caches within 100km radius from P2 as expected.

What I did not expect was that the caches to west from P1 didn't appear.

Nothing that is west from P1 (and there actually are some).

Should it be like this?

I think there are several ways to do this. One way would be to filter your results so that only the waypoints you want to move are showing. Then export to a GPX file and include user notes and GSAK extra fields. Then open the database you want to add those waypoints into, and then open up the GPX file you just created. That should work (doing this off of memory right now).

Scott

Team GeoDillo

About filtering (ver.4.1.2)

Created a line filter from P1 to P2, distance 100km. P2 locates east from P1

Result: got all caches within 100kms (North & South) from the line between the points P1 and P2, as expected.

Also got the caches within 100km radius from P2 as expected.

What I did not expect was that the caches to west from P1 didn't appear.

Nothing that is west from P1 (and there actually are some).

Should it be like this?

The current version of GPSBabel has a bug which causes this behaviour. This has been fixed in the USB version (registered users only) and a public release with this fix is not far off.

I've looked through the various GSAK pages looking for this one, but I haven't seen it, so here goes...

I'm trying to make GSAK do for me what GPX Spinner does for me. In particular, I want it to

1. Mangle the name to have difficulty, terrain, and waypoint ID (minus the "GC" prefix).
  2. Change the waypoint symbol for the various container and cache types.
  3. Count the number of DNF logs and flag those that meet a threshold (say 2) by changing its' waypoint symbol to something else (like cemetery).

The first one is easily done in the "Export GPX" dialog with %dif1%ter1%drop2.

The second one is less obvious to me. I specifically do not want to mangle the waypoint name to include the type and container size. I only have 6 characters for the waypoint name on my autonav unit and I want those to be difficulty, terrain, and ID.

The third one I can find a solution for but with all the coolness of GSAK, I want to make it a little harder. I want to filter out any caches that have 2 or more DNF logs and any cache whose last log was DNF, regardless of what the other logs may be. The first part is easy, I set the "Required Count" to "Less than or equal to" "2" and check only the "Not Found". The second part is less easy. I twiddled with the "Logs to Search" and "Include/Exclude" settings but they seem to be doing an "Or", not "And". The search results end up larger, not smaller and some of the ones in the list have their last log as DNF.

I do not want to do multiple saves and opens of files to get this done. Once I figure this part out, then I will attempt to automate it using the info in another recent thread.

-E

OK, Ive figured out all that filtering stuff, it works "GREAT".

Now I want to upload into the PALM III, can GSAK upload all the cache pages like Palm Desktop does/Plucker/Spinner, or do I need something else.

I've seen comments on the speed GSAK loaded them for someone. But, I didn't see it explained anywhere!

Please take my hand, and walk me thru it :) SF1

OK, Ive figured out all that filtering stuff, it works "GREAT".

Now I want to upload into the PALM III, can GSAK upload all the cache pages like Palm Desktop does/Plucker/Spinner, or do I need something else.

I've seen comments on the speed GSAK loaded them for someone. But, I didn't see it explained anywhere!

Please take my hand, and walk me thru it :) SF1

You need something else. GSAK will export the data in a form that some other palm-based program can take, but there has to be something to do that part. Many people like the GSAK-Cachemate combination (probably the easiest, since GSAK creates the files that Cachemate directly uses). To learn more read this.

Most of the rest of GSAK users seem to prefer Plucker (I among them, mostly because I like the output format a little better). Plucker can be a little finicky getting it set up, but it works well once it works. Learn more about GSAK html export here.

More hand holding happily provided once we know which direction you head.

Edited by embra

GSAK can export html, but that's all, it doesn't do conversion to Plucker. It does that the same as Spinner, and then you run Plucker on the html files. I use Sunrise Desktop to do that, and it's way, way faster than Plucker Desktop and easier to set up. GSAK will do the Cachemate export, using CMConvert to do the conversion.

Edited by NightPilot

Ok Embra & Night Pilot and others, Now I’m really confused.

I’ve been using PQ’s and run thru Spinner, then I take that file and run thru Plucker Desktop, then run thru Palm Desktop to hot sync. I load two channels a ) what caches I need, b ) 400 closest caches to home.

Each channel upload takes me 40-45 minutes to upload to the pda.

I’m looking for something that will take my GSAK file and upload to the PDA and GPS. I can do the gps, from what I’ve read so far, with GSAK. I haven’t tried it yet. But what about the PDA? I’m trying to cut down the hot sync time as much as possible.

Night Pilot I gooogled - Sunrise Desktop and couldn’t find the Desktop download. Do you have a link for it.

Maybe, I should just make another channel for “new caches” and hot sync the smaller file on a daily basis. Help me sort this out, before I finish pulling my hair out! :):lol::anibad: SF1

Spinner gives you html output that you run through Plucker Desktop...very good. GSAK will give you html output that you then process with Plucker Desktop in the same way as you dealt with the Spinner output. You just set up a channel in PD starting with the index.htm file.

IIRC PD will compile a 500 waypoint html file for my PDA in about 5 minutes or so on my 1.8 Ghz desktop...nowhere near a half hour, at any rate.

Have you tried to do this yet? It probably seems a lot more complicated than it is. If you are getting stuck at a particular point, I think we can get you unstuck. But from what I can tell now, you are having a hard time just envisioning what happens. Once you've got your filter set in GSAK, it's just a matter of file/export/html files. You have several options in the dialog box that comes up, but the help file explains them. Then you go over to PD, which, if you have experience, should not be too formidable.

Edit: Rereading your post, you may be stating that the actual hotsync upload of the Plucker file takes 30 to 45 minutes. On my Tungsten T, it takes very little time...less than a minutes, I would guess. That's USB; your PalmIII serial connection may well take longer. I don't know if you would save any time or not with GSAK output vs. Spinner, as I would expect them to contain about the same amount of data. Still, it's an easy experiment to try it out and compare.

Edited by embra
It probably seems a lot more complicated than it is. But from what I can tell now, you are having a hard time just envisioning what happens. 

Edit:  Rereading your post, you may be stating that the "actual hotsync upload of the Plucker file takes 30 to 45 minutes".  On my Tungsten T, it takes very little time...less than a minutes, I would guess.  That's USB; your PalmIII serial connection may well take longer.  I don't know if you would save any time or not with GSAK output vs. Spinner, as I would expect them to contain about the same amount of data.  Still, it's an easy experiment to try it out and compare.

Envisioning what happens, is OK. I've done many uploads to the pda and I do understand. ;) I guess your edit, probably explains it better. It's more the pda/serial connection that is slowing things down, not the programs themselves. Thanks for the explaination. Your edit, probably is the best reason the upload runs verrrrry sloooooowwwww :blink: ! On my Tungsten T, it takes very little time...less than a minutes, I would guess. That's USB; Ouch! now that really hurts. SF1

You can get Sunrise Desktop here. It seems to turn out a Plucker-compatible .pdb file in about a tenth of the time it takes for Plucker. It's java-based, so it should run on any platform.

One thing that can cause long conversion times is setting the spidering depth too high (or too deep, depending on your point of view). Set it to 3, no higher, and see if that helps. The higher you set the number, the more sites Plucker has to include, and the time increases exponentially. On the GSAK HTML export dialog, check "Hints on same page rather than separate link", and you'll save generating separate links for every page for the hints, which saves time. IME, Plucker Desktop is very slow because it does a lot of recursion, doing the same thing repeatedly. Sunrise Desktop used to be JPluckX, but has been rewritten and renamed, and performs very well. For 500 caches, it usually takes no more than a minute on my PC to do the conversion. Plucker can take up to 5 minutes. If the spidering depth is set to 5, it can take a long, long time. Also, make sure Plucker or Sunrise is limited to the directory only. If it goes out and gets referenced stuff from off the web, you're looking a much longer conversion times.

Hi Clyde,

Two minor comments (usability features). Several fields (specifically, those that show "a file name to be created" etc. ... when exporting or importing) truncate the "pull-down" (previous paths) string if the path happens to be long. In my case, I'm exporting a .gpx file from GSAK to "C:\Documents and Settings\My-Machine-Name\Desktop\GPS\GPX Sonar Files\GPX Sonar.gpx". And I'm unable to see the file name I'm trying to export to when I pull down the list of previous locations. This is due perhaps to the fact that I'm using a file-folder directly on my desktop to access all things GPS related (except executable programs) which happens to result in a long path. I happen to prefer this arrangement since I have several other computers in my network, and it's most convenient to always find stuff I'm looking for starting from the desktop.

I made a previous request (kind of related to this one) that you show the "desktop" when browsing for a file...this may shorten help the string (but I'm not sure of that). I don't believe you show the "desktop" under certain circumstances. Don't know if this is easy or hard to do.

In any case, if these import/export file pull-down fields could be made wider, or at least provide the ability to horizontally scroll on a pull-down entry, that would help.

Thx and again, echoing everyone else...great job.

Hal Zenner

Edited by zenner

I noticed that my distance in GSAK is wierd. the mileage from my home reads

5552.4 to the closest cache. The actual distance as the crow flies is only about .5 of a mile.

Is this a bug?

doesn't matter what gpx file I load it still has the wierd mailage.

I noticed that my distance in GSAK is wierd. the mileage from my home reads

5552.4 to the closest cache. The actual distance as the crow flies is only about .5 of a mile.

Is this a bug?

doesn't matter what gpx file I load it still has the wierd mailage.

Try resetting your centerpoint coordinates. You might have accidentally changed them.

Cache Well

What would cause this error on WinXP with the 60CS:

Error sending waypoints

ERROR]CreateFile: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

GARMIN: Can't init USB

Are you using the GSAK betas with the GPSBabel with Special USB Sauce added? This looks about like what I'd expect to see if you were using GSAK with USB support with a GPSBabel without USB support.

What would cause this error on WinXP with the 60CS:

Error sending waypoints

ERROR]CreateFile: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

GARMIN: Can't init USB

Yes, It sounds very much like you have not installed the USB version of GPSBabel

If you want USB support there are a few extra steps required to make this work:

If you haven't already, download and install version 4.1.3 http://gsak.net/cgi-bin/count/download.pl?file=GSAK413g

Now, Downlod and install file http://gsak.net/babel/BabelUsb.exe

This download will prompt for a user and password, This was given to all registered users.

To confirm this, Start GSAK, then click on Help=>About, and the version should show as 4.1.3 (build=20) and the GPSBabel version should show as 1.2.4_beta09082004-gusb

Now from the Main Menu select GPS=>Setup, and check the "Enable USB Support" check box.

Edited by ClydeE

OK, I rambled a little too much on my last post. I'll ask the simple question here...

In GSAK 4.1.3, how do I make it change the waypoint symbol for the various container and cache types to values that I specify? This is a feature of GPX Spinner that I want to replicate in GSAK.

Thanks

In GSAK 4.1.3, how do I make it change the waypoint symbol for the various container and cache types to values that I specify? This is a feature of GPX Spinner that I want to replicate in GSAK.

That looks a little less formidable... :lol:

On the File/export/[format of your choice] dialog box that comes up, there should be a portion that refers to GPS symbols. Uncheck the box that says "use same icons as GPS send" and edit the reassigned symbols via the "Change" button below.

Night Pilot.... I took your advice and D/L Sunrise Desktop. All good so far. I've run the GSAK "export html" , I've got the file "channel" loaded into Plucker Desktop. All went well there. I can't seem to set up"configure Sunrise Desktop " to the PDA. What do I need to do next? If possible, walk me thru it, Pleassssssssse! I'm almost there, I can see the light ;) just a little further to go :unsure: , now. SF1

Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I've got the registered version of GSAK with the Beta USB extension and have been trying to get the new USB interface to work with my Geko 201. When I try to send or receive waypoints I'm getting an error message.

I've checked I've got the enable USB box checked, and I don't have hot sync or active sync installed which I understand can cause problems. The USB cable is plugged into com 4 and I@ve checked via Hyper Terminal that is working.

I think I've set something up wrong - any advice?

Thanks

OK, I rambled a little too much on my last post. I'll ask the simple question here...

Thanks

Sorry, I am currently on vacation so am trying to keep a low profile.

Curretnly you can select cache type but not container types. Various icon overrides (like if the container is a micro, or if the last log was a DNF) will come in a future release.

Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I've got the registered version of GSAK with the Beta USB extension and have been trying to get the new USB interface to work with my Geko 201. When I try to send or receive waypoints I'm getting an error message.

I've checked I've got the enable USB box checked, and I don't have hot sync or active sync installed which I understand can cause problems. The USB cable is plugged into com 4 and I@ve checked via Hyper Terminal that is working.

I think I've set something up wrong - any advice?

Thanks

Look up about 4 posts asking the same question. Thanks for the help Clyde.